Dec 8, 2007
✟843,474.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There should be some discussion about this topic, as it is a current topic among traditionalists and pentecostals.
If you have someone in mind, invite them to this thread, and I'll be glad to set something up for you.:)

Mark

Upvote 0

rdclmn72

May 19, 2007
dunlap, tn
✟36,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is no doubt that charismatic gifts would eventually disappear as it would be described in Corinthians.
That much is clear.

At the heart of the debate is whether there should be considered a third option to be explored, that is of a latter-rain revival of the same gifts.
For those that believe in the rapture, one must also believe that the latter rains include the same gifts as part of the same end-time event.
In other words, if you believe in the rapture but reject the gifts that come with the latter rains, you can't have it both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok, you have my attention but I don't know how interested you are in doctrine and theology. Pentecostals are traditionalists, they are a thriving fundamentalist movement so your proposing a false dichotomy. The former rain and later rain while have an interesting interpretive appeal doesn't really define what exactly you think did or did not cease in the Apostolic age.

I assume your talking about speaking in tongues.

That's not why I'm responding, what do you mean 'if you believe in the rapture'? That's really just another word for the resurrection, it's in no way tied to God's gifts of grace for the building up of the body of Christ.

If you have a serious proposal in mind I will be glad to consider it. What exactly is it you want to debate?

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟843,474.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Ok, you have my attention but I don't know how interested you are in doctrine and theology. Pentecostals are traditionalists, they are a thriving fundamentalist movement so your proposing a false dichotomy. The former rain and later rain while have an interesting interpretive appeal doesn't really define what exactly you think did or did not cease in the Apostolic age.

I assume your talking about speaking in tongues.

That's not why I'm responding, what do you mean 'if you believe in the rapture'? That's really just another word for the resurrection, it's in no way tied to God's gifts of grace for the building up of the body of Christ.

If you have a serious proposal in mind I will be glad to consider it. What exactly is it you want to debate?

Grace and peace,
Mark

Hi Mark:wave:, I'm not sure that the OP wants to debate himself, but I think he would like to see a discussion.

You may be able to find a few potential opponents here, as I promoted this proposal in GT: Cessationism Formal Debate Request...

Mark:)

Upvote 0

rdclmn72

May 19, 2007
dunlap, tn
✟36,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The topic is cessationism and the latter rain.
Most people assume its only about cessationism and continuationism, you're both wrong.
No, you won't find anyone else talking about this 3rd option.

Remarks so far have not dealt with the viability of this 3rd option.
It means that so far it hasn't been taken seriously.
It hasn't been remarked on the basis of serious, unbiased consideration, nor has it addressed any of it on a scriptural basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

The RedRose

May 11, 2014
✟15,138.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
There is no doubt that charismatic gifts would eventually disappear as it would be described in Corinthians.
That much is clear.

At the heart of the debate is whether there should be considered a third option to be explored, that is of a latter-rain revival of the same gifts.
For those that believe in the rapture, one must also believe that the latter rains include the same gifts as part of the same end-time event.
In other words, if you believe in the rapture but reject the gifts that come with the latter rains, you can't have it both ways.

The Gift of YHWH NEVER "disappears" !!! :idea:

"option" ? YHWH doesn't HAVE -or "give" us- "options" ...

It's His Way or the curving, wide and well-traveled "way" !! :o

I don't believe in the "rapture" -and I believe the Gifts are ours NOW ...

(so I "do" fit into your analogy -some-what) ?!!
so in this case I can have "it" different "ways" -Right ? !! :sorry:

The Latter Rain is only going to " Over-Fill " His Chosen with His Holy Spirit.

His Holy Spirit is Alive and Well on planet earth NOW ...
-so ... -so are His Gifts ;)

The RedRose

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rdclmn72

May 19, 2007
dunlap, tn
✟36,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Of early rains that make the blossoms spring forth, and latter rains that make the fruit ripen, the Holy Ghost has revived the gifts to complement the preaching of the word in the midst of this latter day revival.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟843,474.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Any further interest in this topic?

MOD HAT

It would seem not.

Closing for lack of interest. If anyone wants to debate this topic, please start a fresh proposal thread.

Mark
Staff Supervisor.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.