devotedwifey

May 17, 2008
✟7,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
a bible for me?

i currently have the NKJV. i purchased it a few months ago and been reading through it. My husband told me to buy that kind because it was easier to read and it the the "real" bible.. well during these fews months i had read a ton of stuff online and now know otherwise when it comes to the bible.

so im looking to buy a new CATHOLIC bible.:thumbsup: but dont know whats what. preferably something easier to read the the NKJV as well but not a must. just basically in simplified english. i feel dumb for saying that but if i cant read or pronounce things i loose interests fast

help:p

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I like the Revised Standard Version (Catholic). I really would love to get a Jerusalem Catholic Bible.

Agreed. The RSV-CE is the best current translation. The Jerusalem Bible has beautiful language, but I really miss the traditional language of parts like the 23 Psalm. Some verses just need to be preserved unchanged.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. The RSV-CE is the best current translation. The Jerusalem Bible has beautiful language, but I really miss the traditional language of parts like the 23 Psalm. Some verses just need to be preserved unchanged.

I agree. I love the poetry of Psalms. I love our RSV.

The Catholic Study Bible: New American Bible

Easy read with tons of footnotes to help your study~i've got the first edition but understand a revised edition is out with more stuff in it. I would have preferred RSV or DR but it's a start ;)

:) It's all good.

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
The King James or New King James or New American Bible ... all will work ...
Protestant Bibles omit 7 books found in the Catholic Old Testament: Bel and the Dragon, Song of the Hebrew Children, 1,2 Macabees, 1,2 Tobit ; Judith ; Wisdom ; & Sirach; the New Testaments are the same...

There is an on-line biblical search engine at EWTN.org
or for Protestant Bibles ... www.blueletterbible.com ; www.biblegateway.com

Some Catholic & Protestant book stores have commentaries on the biblical books ; that are like "cliff notes"... giving the context, content, time, and place (hermeneutics)

Upvote 0

Becca Roo

Jun 16, 2008
✟15,115.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
a bible for me?

i currently have the NKJV. i purchased it a few months ago and been reading through it. My husband told me to buy that kind because it was easier to read and it the the "real" bible.. well during these fews months i had read a ton of stuff online and now know otherwise when it comes to the bible.

so im looking to buy a new CATHOLIC bible.:thumbsup: but dont know whats what. preferably something easier to read the the NKJV as well but not a must. just basically in simplified english. i feel dumb for saying that but if i cant read or pronounce things i loose interests fast

help:p

Be careful what Bible you decide to read. Satan will always attack you when you are doing the right thing! Remember, he came to steal, kill, and destroy. He doesn't want you to read the right Bible because it is the Word of God, and it will save your soul and lead you into righteousness. The NKJV, KJV, or Amplified Bible are great choices. The truth will set you free! Don't turn your back on the truth!!!

Upvote 0

Mom2Alex

In Christ
Jul 19, 2008
+Diocese of Buffalo, NY
Visit site
✟9,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the other posters who suggest the RSV-CE 2nd edition - also known by many as the Ignatius Bible. Unfortunately, the notations on the bottom of the page are few and far between.

If and when you are ready for more in-depth study, I suggest the Navarre Bible with commentary. It is very expensive because it is a multi-volume set, but to purchase one book at a time would be good.

Do remember, the KJV is not "THE" Bible as it has only been around since 1611 and at that time books were taken out.

Peace be with you and enjoy as your grow closer to Christ through His Word!

Kelly

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Via Cassian

Fuga mundi (flight from the world)
Dec 24, 2009
South
✟31,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When I was a new Christian, I read from several Bibles. For learning the full meaning of a text, I have found having several Bibles in front of me helps. I have my favorites now, but still consult several Bibles. And those favorites depend on why I am reading the Bible.

Several Bible translations and versions help study sessions.

Then for reading, not studying, but for lectio divina, I have a large print Bible without notes and few helps. It's my main lectio divina Bible. I never make any marks in this Bible because the underlining affects how I read the passage the next time.

I carry a small NT around and I selected it because it exactly fit inside my pocket. So in this case, size was the most important factor.

You might like one Bible as your "carrying around to Bible study class" which has the Bible helps and notes you like to have handy when you attend Bible studies.

I bought a children's Bible when I first became a Christian (I was 37 years old) and read it along with the other translations and versions when I was studying. I loved it.

You may find that "what's the Bible I might read?" becomes, "what are some of the strengths and weaknesses of each translation and version, because I plan to use several Bibles in my study, reading, prayer, and groups.

Don't stop at one! You will find that you alone are the best person to know what fits into the many ways and purposes you read the Bible.

And when one part of a Bible is unclear, that's a good time to grab another Bible and keep going, or maybe read several Bibles on that one unclear passage. Don't let one set of translators prevent you from fully understanding the text -- get the benefits from several groups of translators -- read several translations and versions.

Of course, many people love to have one Bible. There is nothing wrong with that and is a favorite of many many people.

John
Tampa, Florida, USA

Last edited:
Upvote 0

balesom

Miserere nobis.
Feb 9, 2009
Central Valley, California
✟15,871.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have never had the pleasure of reading from a RSV-CE, but my main Bible is a NAB Study Bible. I also have an old Douay-Rheims, but it's falling apart and needs to be rebound before I attempt to use it anymore. I'd suggest either, they're both great.

Upvote 0

GratefulToGod

Feb 3, 2010
✟15,284.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Catholic Study Bible: New American Bible

Easy read with tons of footnotes to help your study~i've got the first edition but understand a revised edition is out with more stuff in it. I would have preferred RSV or DR but it's a start ;)

I use The New American Bible (Saint Joseph Edition).

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums