Can you answer this hypothetical question regarding Christian morality and ethics?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟941,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If there was a person who was going to blaspheme the Holy Ghost ONLY if you told exactly how to commit this sin, would you still tell them how to do it?

What exactly would be your response to this question? What exactly would you do in this scenario?
There is only one sin unto death. Death in unbelief. Blessings

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟125,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Most people have no idea what this entails …what state of mind a person of that nature is in …and what must be done/said to perform such and unredeemable commitment.

I think I could possibly relate to a person who wanted to do that, as I have served in that arena for a short time. So if someone was asking me I would say …..lets go get a beer and talk a bit….because I believe I would give them enough information so they could make a new decision.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If there was a person who was going to blaspheme the Holy Ghost ONLY if you told exactly how to commit this sin, would you still tell them how to do it?

What exactly would be your response to this question? What exactly would you do in this scenario?

Someone with that mindset is likely already in the process of doing it anyway, regardless of whether they are told an explanation of what it means. That's because the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is a life-long knowing and active rejection of forgiveness. That is to say, the reason why it is called an "unpardonable sin" is neither because God is unable or unwilling to forgive it; but because the one committing it is themselves firmly opposed to being forgiven.

The warning Jesus gives isn't because his accusers were already guilty of it, but rather it served as a warning so that they should not be found guilty of it in the future. For they blasphemed Christ by accusing Him of casting out demons by the power of demons, so He says that blasphemy against the Son is forgiven. He then warns them, however, against blasphemy against the Spirit--for if they continue in their current trajectory, beholding the works of God plain and obvious to them, but denying it out of their own fleshly desire, thereby resisting and rejecting the Spirit's work to lead them to contrition and repentance and a confession of the truth, they shall find that there is no forgiveness for they have made their whole selves opponents of forgiveness.

A dying man who fights against doctors and paramedics trying to save him, cursing them, spitting out medicine, swatting them away and fighting them as they try to save his life will die. It has nothing to do with whether the doctors and paramedics could or wanted to save him--of course they did, they are actively fighting to save his life--but the whole time he is doing everything he can to refuse to be saved and thus succumbs to death.

It is only the Holy Spirit who can take us, sinners who are at enmity against God, and give us faith and melt the stony heart, and bring us to contrition and penitential grief. For through the Law we are condemned guilty; but it is through the Gospel that we are declared righteous for Christ's sake and on Christ's account, declared forgiven, and our guilt wrested away from us by the soothing peace of the Good News.

Whether one knows, or doesn't know, the meaning of Jesus' words and their implication and application won't lead them to this fate. However, for those who are worried and afraid, they can be assured of God's mercy in the Gospel; and thus knowing what Jesus said and why here is paramount--in order that they can be assured and have their souls soothed by the precious promises of God's grace and kindness: Their sins are forgiven, they have peace with God, and there is none outside of God's desire to save. God is at work to save, here and now, by His unceasing and abundant grace through the Gospel.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟247,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"No."

...said the first person who was able to answer your hypothetical question.

Upvote 0

Truth Crusader238

Feb 20, 2018
Hildebran
✟17,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

That is preposterous

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Impossible !!. Dude. Only Gods elect can commit the unpardonable sin, Matthew chapter 10 and mark chapter 13 to document. You must have holy spirit to commit the unpardonable sin. Gods elect have holy spirit. Those with free will have spirit of stupor. Were talking about election. Isaiah chapter 6, Many people have spirit of slumber. It applies to Election.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

i - If they were asking me, they wouldn't be going to commit it
ii - it's a sin preachers, pastors and leaders are in danger of committing by not teaching distinct Holy Spirit actions - see also iv and vii
iii - Most of them do that because they were taught by someone before them, to teach that way (who bears some of the guilt)
iv - the only way ordinary people join in is if we find it convenient to be legalistic towards others and congratulate ourselves on our superiority or the superiority of our leaders - see also ii and vii
v - If we can repent and receive God's belief, we haven't been unforgivable.
vi - if I explain to them how, and we both pray, they are going to try to steer away from it
vii - frequent general prayers and reading of psalms and other Scriptures sends spiritual help to our preachers and teachers. Pastors and leaders who don't ask you to do this are suspect - see also ii and iv

Have you been in this situation? How did you respond or how in the light of these replies are you thinking of responding?

Upvote 0