Can a skeptic on the fence have a personal encounter with God?

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What exactly did you experience that led you to convert to Christianity, if I may ask?
Well basically I had a dream about God, but it didn't feel like a normal dream, if that makes sense? I sometimes tell people that I went to sleep an agnostic and I woke up a monotheist. After that I started really exploring Christianity and there was still a lot of questioning and gradual acceptance of various things, and I'm still learning and growing, but that "dream" set me on a new path.

Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  1. Is it possible for a skeptic on the fence to have a personal encounter with God?
  2. What would such an encounter look like?
  3. What would a "personal relationship with God" look like?
  4. If I'm a skeptic on the fence, is there anything in my power that I can do to "elicit" or "prompt" such an encounter? What would I need to do? And what could I expect to happen?
  5. How would I be able to tell the difference between "God is actually having a personal relationship with me" and "I'm just deluding myself with wishful thinking"?
  6. Can God make his presence and interaction "obvious" to me beyond reasonable doubt? Can God reveal himself to me, a skeptic on the fence, in a powerful and life-changing way?
Some great questions there.

1. Yes, very possible.
2. No way to tell other than a powerful beautiful experience.
3. Again, no way to tell because it is personal. But it would be life changing and positive.
4. You can simply ask and be open, even on the fence as a skeptic.
5. Faith requires a but of unknowing. But including trusted others in your discernment if such experiences helps.
6. YES!

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

You say you want a revolution? **cough**
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This would be terrible news for Alex O'Connor (and for me). Watch this relatively short clip:

And why would this be terrible news? I'd think that most of us living in the real world don't particularly sit well with the fact that God is a Hidden God. But from what I see in the video you've cited, the focus isn't hiddenness but "massive suffering."

As an Existnetialist, Theodicy isn't the "route" that I travel like so many Christian Apologists do (or attempt to do). So, if there are masses of individuals who are craving a specific theodicy that will serve as the Silver Bullet to kill the Werewolf of Suffering, I will not offer that form of either epistemic or ontological or axiological approach as a remedy to disbelief, or will I attempt to offer such an answer.

(And yes, I'm familiar with Alex O'Conner, as I am with many, many professional atheists ...................................................... )
What specific "version" of Christianity are we talking about here? What would be a "minimal" version of Christianity? I'm asking because my expectations about what is possible and what can be expected to happen can change significantly depending on the theological commitments that are implied in the word "Christianity".
What specific "version"? It's not a "version" or a denomination. It's simply a wider scope of engagement with the Questions we all have. But I understand how people feel since I'm there too ---- we are all a part of a human world clammoring for Answers with a CAPITAL "A," and I know very well that my more horizontal epistemic approach (existential I like to say) won't address much of our vertically induced mental angst. We want to be able to reach straight up and somehow percieve that God is reaching down. Well, that's not exactly what we get.

However, what I can do (what most of us can do) is challenge the Skeptical Ire and offer forth an Invitation. That's all any of us really gets within the whole of our lives as we traverse into the future (despite what a number of more, shall we way, charismatic type Christians will claim to the contrary [i.e. they do so by insisting you "should" be able to achieve a "St. Thomas" engagement with God if you ............ just..........................have......................enough..........................faith].)
I'm not sure if I fully comprehend this. Are you saying, in other words, that you were able to believe X, by not believing A, B, C, D, E, F? I fail to see how belief in X follows from ceasing to believe other stuff.
No, I'm saying that I've engaged the Skeptical Ire on it's own grounds as well as the Charismatic Ignus Fatuss and find both of them epistemically wanting. I also find the other extreme of doxastic expectancy
First of all, in order to cease to believe other stuff, you would need to discover reasons that undermine the previous reasons you had to believe other stuff (unless you never believed other stuff in the first place or some sort of doxastic voluntarism is true, which I'm skeptical of).
And THAT, my fried, is exactly what I'm referring to .............................................................................. of course, I'd be lying to you if I didn't say that such an epistemic endeavor won't take time to muddle through intellectually or experientially.

As for doxastic voluntarism, I think that this trope only really becomes a problem when the whole idea of voluntarism (and involutarism) aren't parsed out analytically but are instead assumed to be conceptually clear and distinct concepts. Usually the resistence I see among people comes by what of their own suffering being a de-motivator to approach Christianity from other conceptual angles. No, we all want bread, and by golly bread had better be given .............................................. And when it's not, most of just epistemically slump.

Anyway, there's a reason I've listed the books that I list in my personal section here on CF.
Moreover, even if you manage to cease to believe other stuff, I don't really see how removing credence from "competing voices" (other stuff) can automatically increase credence in X, where X here would be "Christianity" (which, again, faces the problem of defining what "Christianity" means).

See? Here's what I'd suggest if you feel like you're a "skeptic on the fence": Stop placing your central epistemic valuation solely upon positive personal credence FOR belief as a supreme value without also, at the same time, challenging your already self-defined epistemic expectations; that is, work on allowing for the creation of cogntive space by which to permit and keep open the epistemic channels of human inquiry in relation to Christianity.

I mean honestly, it's way too easy to pick up a bible and see it as a Swiss Cheese. Anyone can do that!!! But not everyone can fully engage the Skeptical and Atheistic Scrutiny Machine and loosen its bolts or find a fracture in its epistemic processes.

And if at the end of the day we find, despite all of our best efforts, that what is really keeping us from looking to Jesus is the suffering we ourselves experience in the world, then that is what it is. And at least I can understand and sympathize with that since it's an honest answer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, actually Alex agrees with you. He literally said in the video that a religious experience (not an intellectual argument) would convert him to Christianity.

........Then Alex wants something that I, myself, can honestly say I've NEVER received on some ecstatic level.

Upvote 0

SkepticOnTheFence

Apr 3, 2023
Baltimore
✟12,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
And why would this be terrible news?
Because both Alex and I, as far as I can tell, currently share the belief that a religious experience appears to be the most promising (and perhaps the only) means for us to convert to Christianity, a belief which is informed by a vast amount of conversion testimonies. The only alternative to this that I'm aware of is being convinced through purely intellectual arguments, but as Alex eloquently put it, hardly ever do you hear that someone suddenly dropped to their knees after reading a syllogism that they found particularly compelling.

I'd think that most of us living in the real world don't particularly sit well with the fact that God is a Hidden God. But from what I see in the video you've cited, the focus isn't hiddenness but "massive suffering."
They explicitly discuss divine hiddenness from 1:49 to 5:00. Alex actually cites J. L. Schellenger at 2:17. But yeah, my bad for not making this explicitly clear in my previous post.

What specific "version"? It's not a "version" or a denomination. It's simply a wider scope of engagement with the Questions we all have.
Now you are confusing me. At one point you talked about "Christianity" (which I asked you to define in more precise terms), but now you are talking about a "wider scope of engagement with the question we all have"? Could you please clarify your terms? Are you suggesting that "Christianity" = "wider scope of engagement with the question we all have"? If so, why not label that as "open-mindedness"? Why use a loaded term like "Christianity" that has so many connotations depending on the denomination providing the definition when there are less loaded terms to convey the same idea? I know I asked several questions here, so I would appreciate it if you could answer them one by one.

We want to be able to reach straight up and somehow percieve that God is reaching down. Well, that's not exactly what we get.
Well, that's not an entirely unreasonable expectation if you consider many conversion stories, including many in the Bible itself.

See? Here's what I'd suggest if you feel like you're a "skeptic on the fence": Stop placing your central epistemic valuation solely upon positive personal credence FOR belief as a supreme value without also, at the same time, challenging your already self-defined epistemic expectations; that is, work on allowing for the creation of cogntive space by which to permit and keep open the epistemic channels of human inquiry in relation to Christianity.

And how do you propose to do that? Any concrete, actionable steps?

And if at the end of the day we find, despite all of our best efforts, that what is really keeping us from looking to Jesus is the suffering we ourselves experience in the world, then that is what it is. And at least I can understand and sympathize with that since it's an honest answer.
I'm not currently struggling with the problem of evil. I think you mistakenly got that impression from the video clip of the discussion between Alex O'Connor and Trent Horn that I shared. I shared that video in response to your comments about Divine Hiddenness, which the video addresses from 1:49 to 5:00. In that sense, it would be fair to say that the problem of Divine Hiddenness is my main stumbling block at the moment in what could become my eventual conversion to Christianity. Primarily because I strongly believe that the opposite -- a divine encounter -- would tremendously facilitate my conversion, which, again, is an idea supported by lots of conversion stories, both within and outside the Bible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Berserk

Oct 15, 2011
✟44,905.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Hi Berserk. I'm back. I hope you are still around. I'm interested in executing this 10-day challenge. I'm actually on day two of the challenge right now, but I don't have much free time. I'm quite busy with work and other things. Is that a problem? Should I postpone the challenge until I'm on vacation?
Great! Keep me posted on your thoughts. To get a feel for who I am, you might want to monitor my ongoing thread in the "Spiritual Gifts" section entitled "My Life Journey through the Lens of My Many Charismatic and Paranormal Exepriences," which is just in its early Stages." If you wish, you can post questions and reactions to those experiences in your thread here.

Remember. despite the pitfalls of emotions, it's still easier to feel your way to God than to think your way to God.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because both Alex and I, as far as I can tell, currently share the belief that a religious experience appears to be the most promising (and perhaps the only) means for us to convert to Christianity, a belief which is informed by a vast amount of conversion testimonies. The only alternative to this that I'm aware of is being convinced through purely intellectual arguments, but as Alex eloquently put it, hardly ever do you hear that someone suddenly dropped to their knees after reading a syllogism that they found particularly compelling.
I get what you're saying here and I understand your concern that a "religious experience" may seem (to many people) to offer the most promising, or the only, avenue by which to authentically engage God. But this is a conjecture at best, I think, and within that epistemic conjecture reside complications that often go unnoticed or unaccounted for. Sometimes they're just outright ignored out of personal frustration, which I can also very well understand, because I too have often experienced those same frustrations.

The epistemic crucible comes, though, in recognizing that the Christian experience isn't really about reaching a sublime sense of certainty about the possible presence of God in the world and of His reported providence of Grace in Jesus of Nazareth, at least not the Modern, post-Enlightenment version of that experience.

Obviously, where the act of perceiving either the direct presence and providences of God is in question, most of us are not afforded a superlative level of cognition and certainty of these things . It's on this sort of epistemic point that, for instance, Pascal disagreed with Descartes and averred that Christian Faith isn't something to be entered into via a full form of foundationalistic, deductive rationality. And although I may disagree with both Pascal and Descartes on some of the finer points, I'm going to lean over in Pascal's direction on this epistemic 'evaluation.' Moreover, the general idea is to deal with the Sartrean nausea of it all, but rather than give in to that epistemic delerium, we decide to journey on toward a hope in Christ.

Anyway, my approach is Existential and yet, I think it is still reasonable, which isn't to say that it's about applying cheap shots at either Deduction or promising a method that concretly resembles a firm, scientific process by which to "arrive" at faith, or even just belief. That's not how Christianity was made to work on the epistemic level. No, floating in the midst of it all is a Gestalt that we all have to engage and through which we will either decide to persevere, or languish in and sink down into material cynicism.
They explicitly discuss divine hiddenness from 1:49 to 5:00. Alex actually cites J. L. Schellenger at 2:17. But yeah, my bad for not making this explicitly clear in my previous post.
Oh, don't apologize. DH was obviously a part of the overall set of issues being discussed in the video and I know it's relevant to most of us.
Now you are confusing me. At one point you talked about "Christianity" (which I asked you to define in more precise terms), but now you are talking about a "wider scope of engagement with the question we all have"?

Correct. Christianity is "that thing of belief, that historical instituion of faith" which Jesus began in his earliest disciples, assuming the reports about those alledged events in the New Testament offer even a semblance of the ontological essence of the Christian faith and of the truths it is said to carry along.

It is this "thing" that we not only each engage in by all too typically reading the bible passively, but by which we each decide what our own praxis will be in doing so. My insinuation here is that there may be various choices in praxis that we want to avoid so as to not lock out the avenues in our respective epistemic journey we each will place ourselves on. One such choice would be "Philosophical Naturalism," but there are, as I'm sure you know, many others might challenge and thereby avoid clinging to too tightly. ... Another might be not assuming that all that Mythvision incorporates into his youtube channel is the latest and greatest of cutting edge insights of "actuality" where Christianity is the focus.
Could you please clarify your terms? Are you suggesting that "Christianity" = "wider scope of engagement with the question we all have"? If so, why not label that as "open-mindedness"? Why use a loaded term like "Christianity" that has so many connotations depending on the denomination providing the definition when there are less loaded terms to convey the same idea? I know I asked several questions here, so I would appreciate it if you could answer them one by one.
So yes, I am suggesting that Christianity be engaged on a wider scope of inquiry than what any one Trinitarian denomination will advocate on its own behalf; you can consider all of them and also consider those which sit upon or just outside of those individual, systematic boxes of thinking. Some will protest this, but I would tend to think it doesn't mean you'll slide off to dress up in Mormon garb or incline toward some other offbeat, non-Trinitarian group, however.

Moreover, an existential mode of "handling" the loaded term of Christianity means that you'll engage all of them and more than all of them-----and yes, that will mean having an open mind. But at the same time let's not conflate the act of having an open mind with some sort of automatic subscription to firm pluralism. Having an open mind is merely being willing to check further and again; it doesn't necissitate taking any and every option available with the same seriousness or assuming that each model of the world or of Christianity we scrutinize has the same qualities as any other.
Well, that's not an entirely unreasonable expectation if you consider many conversion stories, including many in the Bible itself.
Possibly. But I don't think the expectation of perceiving God's being or experiencing any manifesations of, shall we say, "His Spirit," can be argued conclusively in any direction. We don't know whether we should be Cessationists or one of an assortment of other conclusions on a continuum of possible answers. What we know is: we don't know.
And how do you propose to do that? Any concrete, actionable steps?
Sure. The operative word here is "challenge", as in challenge not only the apologetics of Christians but also, at the same time, your own epistemic beliefs that you personally think should delineate and define your sensibilites and perceptions. That's where you start. Obviously, that will include the personal decision to "be open" and to maybe do some further reading or other sourced learning. You could pray, but I think learning is meant to be a community interaction and not merely a dropkick by fiat from God's Spirit as so many tend to peddle today.

Hopefully, when doing so---and with some help from God along the way to the grave----you won't end up in Nihilism.
I'm not currently struggling with the problem of evil. I think you mistakenly got that impression from the video clip of the discussion between Alex O'Connor and Trent Horn that I shared. I shared that video in response to your comments about Divine Hiddenness, which the video addresses from 1:49 to 5:00. In that sense, it would be fair to say that the problem of Divine Hiddenness is my main stumbling block at the moment in what could become my eventual conversion to Christianity. Primarily because I strongly believe that the opposite -- a divine encounter -- would tremendously facilitate my conversion, which, again, is an idea supported by lots of conversion stories, both within and outside the Bible.

That's completely understandable. A divine encounter would facilitate a lot for most of us, wouldn't it? But there are a number of inconclusive assessments going into a desire for that sort of experience, and I don't think it can be stated clearly enough that desiring such a thing wouldn't definitely enable any or all of us to respond with faith to Christ, at least not in the long term. Drinking from the Living Water that God gives in Christ isn't, I think, going to amount to opening and downing two cans of Red Bull ... or a Damascus Road experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkepticOnTheFence

Apr 3, 2023
Baltimore
✟12,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The epistemic crucible comes, though, in recognizing that the Christian experience isn't really about reaching a sublime sense of certainty about the possible presence of God in the world and of His reported providence of Grace in Jesus of Nazareth, at least not the Modern, post-Enlightenment version of that experience.
Are you saying this prescriptively or descriptively? In other words, are you saying that the Christian experience happens to not be like this, or that the Christian experience should not be like this?

What should the Christian experience be like?

Possibly. But I don't think the expectation of perceiving God's being or experiencing any manifesations of, shall we say, "His Spirit," can be argued conclusively in any direction. We don't know whether we should be Cessationists or one of an assortment of other conclusions on a continuum of possible answers. What we know is: we don't know.
There are Christians who, based on their own personal experiences, claim to know the answer. To give you an example, I'm currently reading this book: Amazon.com.

That's completely understandable. A divine encounter would facilitate a lot for most of us, wouldn't it? But there are a number of inconclusive assessments going into a desire for that sort of experience, and I don't think it can be stated clearly enough that desiring such a thing wouldn't definitely enable any or all of us to respond with faith to Christ, at least not in the long term. Drinking from the Living Water that God gives in Christ isn't, I think, going to amount to opening and downing two cans of Red Bull ... or a Damascus Road experience.

Then what does "drinking from the Living Water that God gives in Christ" amount to instead?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying this prescriptively or descriptively? In other words, are you saying that the Christian experience happens to not be like this, or that the Christian experience should not be like this?
I'm saying this descriptively. Being that I'm suggesting to you an orientation of mind, there is room in it for different epistemic pathways in the journey. So, if you want to chase after the charismata, then do so. But I'd recommend to you to do so only by also keeping in mind there are some counterfactuals running against the grain of that pathway.
What should the Christian experience be like?
I'd rather point more decisively to what Christian experiences shouldn't be. They can be various ecclectic experiences, but the one thing they shouldn't be is a direct jump into an ecstatic high that then later drops you straight into the abyss of utter atheism and cynicism.

This is one reason why I take some of Pascal's arguments seriously, as I do the assessments of many other Christians and Christian Philosophers.
There are Christians who, based on their own personal experiences, claim to know the answer. To give you an example, I'm currently reading this book: Amazon.com.
If you want to hear what Craig S. Keener has to say, that's fine by me. I'm not going to be the one to tell you to avoid him. I have two of his other books and I'm sure he has some interesting and helpful things to share. At the same time, I'd discourage you from placing all of your eggs into one epistemic basket of "miraculous expectation."
Then what does "drinking from the Living Water that God gives in Christ" amount to instead?

Being the existentialist that I am, I'd rather allow room for all fellow Trinitarian Christians to contribute to the overall definition. To this end, I would simply say that what the Living Waters of Christ would be, at the very least, is an ongoing personal inspiration in the Spirit to move forward in Christ each day of your life. Keeping with what I've said previously, I'm not going to tell you what to expect from the Holy Spirit.

What you end up finding will ultimately be between you and Him, not me and you.

Upvote 0

SkepticOnTheFence

Apr 3, 2023
Baltimore
✟12,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
So, if you want to chase after the charismata, then do so. But I'd recommend to you to do so only by also keeping in mind there are some counterfactuals running against the grain of that pathway.
For example?

I'd rather point more decisively to what Christian experiences shouldn't be. They can be various ecclectic experiences, but the one thing they shouldn't be is a direct jump into an ecstatic high that then later drops you straight into the abyss of utter atheism and cynicism.
Do you know cases that fit this description? Any examples?

If you want to hear what Craig S. Keener has to say, that's fine by me. I'm not going to be the one to tell you to avoid him. I have two of his other books and I'm sure he has some interesting and helpful things to share. At the same time, I'd discourage you from placing all of your eggs into one epistemic basket of "miraculous expectation."
Are there any reasons that compel you to offer that discouragement? Why would expecting miracles be problematic?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkepticOnTheFence

Apr 3, 2023
Baltimore
✟12,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Great! Keep me posted on your thoughts. To get a feel for who I am, you might want to monitor my ongoing thread in the "Spiritual Gifts" section entitled "My Life Journey through the Lens of My Many Charismatic and Paranormal Exepriences," which is just in its early Stages." If you wish, you can post questions and reactions to those experiences in your thread here.

Remember. despite the pitfalls of emotions, it's still easier to feel your way to God than to think your way to God.

Okay. I think I finished my first 10-day challenge. I also think I will need try another one. A single 10-day challenge appears not to be enough for me. I also read your whole testimonial thread. Great experiences. I've heard other people recount similar anecdotes in the past.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For example?
Like the fact that a number of Christians who claim to have and manifest the charismata are actually making fraudulent claims about their "spiritual experiences of the miraculous."
Do you know cases that fit this description? Any examples?
Yes, I do. There are many examples of Christians who are of a specific "evidential" frame of mind who, if they find out that some aspects of the Christian faith have been misinterpreted and misapplied by certain churches, then they find themselves sliding off into unbelief and becoming ardent Ex-Christians. I've heard and read lots of from these sorts of folks; I've also talked to a number of them.
Are there any reasons that compel you to offer that discouragement? Why would expecting miracles be problematic?

Why is expecting miracles problematic? It is because faith in Christ is, and never was, a "miracle formula" to put into practice. Rather, faith is meant to be a living, day by day dependence upon the Lord, one in which we are asked to be patient even in tribulation, even to the end of our lives (however cliche and disappointing and extreme that may sound to some...).

... as it is, this dependence has been usurped by a materialist empirical formula of "miraculous expectation" and bandied about by frauds.

So, do you want something better in your life here and now? Fine. Pray about it. Maybe the Lord will orchestrate some benefits in life on your behalf as you move each day into the future. But don't expect any outright nor instant, nor magnificent Charismatic style miracles to take place. That's just not what our lives are about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkepticOnTheFence

Apr 3, 2023
Baltimore
✟12,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I do. There are many examples of Christians who are of a specific "evidential" frame of mind who, if they find out that some aspects of the Christian faith have been misinterpreted and misapplied by certain churches, then find themselves sliding off into unbelief and become ardent Ex-Christians. I've heard and read lots of them; I've talked to lots of them.
1. What are, in your opinion, the most common aspects of the Christian faith that are "misunderstood" and "misapplied" by Christians who are of an "evidential" frame of mind?
2. For each one of these aspects, can you show what the correct "understanding" should be instead and demonstrate/prove/justify/substantiate that said understanding is in fact correct (instead of merely stating it)?

Reactions: Berserk
Upvote 0

SkepticOnTheFence

Apr 3, 2023
Baltimore
✟12,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Why is expecting miracles problematic? It is because faith in Christ is, and never was, a "miracle formula" to put into practice.
I'm a bit skeptical of the "logic" behind this claim. If God exists, it seems to me that He is the kind of God that enjoys designing systems that are governed by laws. I don't see why the spiritual realm would be any different. Therefore, it would follow that the process by which human beings can experience the supernatural would also be governed by laws. In fact, I even see evidence of this in the Bible itself. For instance, there are demons that cannot be cast out without prayer and fasting. That sounds like a spiritual law. Or Jesus having to fast for 40 days in order to unleash the power of the Spirit. Sounds like some spiritual laws were in operation there. If the spiritual realm is governed by rules, and if you want to call that a "formula", that's fine, but I fail to see why that would be problematic at all.

I would buy your objection if you were to show somehow that the spiritual realm doesn't work according to rules/laws.

Rather, faith is meant to be a living, day by day dependence upon the Lord, one in which we are asked to be patient even in tribulation, even to the end of our lives (however cliche and disappointing and extreme that may sound to some...).
I fail to see how this would be incompatible with expecting the supernatural to manifest under certain conditions. Please, help me out to see the contradiction, because I don't see it.

So, do you want something better in your life here and now? Fine. Pray about it. Maybe the Lord will orchestrate some benefits in life on your behalf as you move each day into the future. But don't expect any outright nor instant, nor magnificent Charismatic style miracles to take place. That's just not what our lives are about.
But that's just not what I see in lots of testimonies. It sounds like you are encouraging me to dismiss contemporary testimonies. But that kind of epistemology can easily lead to dismissing 1st century testimonies as well, which is self-refuting (from a Christian perspective). Of course, atheists would be happy to concede your skepticism, but that's precisely not the point. I want to become a Christian and I want to find the Christian God, so entertaining an atheistic epistemology is not helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. What are, in your opinion, the most common aspects of the Christian faith that are "misunderstood" and "misapplied" by Christians who are of an "evidential" frame of mind?
Obviously, nearly all aspects of the Christian faith are up for grabs, especially if and when epistemological questions are firmly applied to the systematic theology and dogmatics that leaders from each respective denomination assert.

From a general perspective, I'd say that God's Providences have been grossly misrepresented by the Faith Movement and some Charismatic groups in the United States where they've been home grown.
2. For each one of these aspects, can you show what the correct "understanding" should be instead and demonstrate/prove/justify/substantiate that said understanding is in fact correct (instead of merely stating it)?

As an Existentialist in the Kierkegaardian mode of analysis, I'm not going to give you a "correct" understanding since the Bible is a fragmentary, diverse collection of various forms of literature over which none of us has final authority. It hardly challenges our reasonable capacities to realize that Christian theology can barely be approached systematically; we're especially negligent to pretend that any of us can articulate an absolute, comprehensive, authoritative theology to which we think everyone else must submit.

What I CAN say, and I do so with the utmost of confidence, is that with the Bible being so misread and mishandled by so many folks over such a long period of time, it's obvious we are all especially challenged to put forth what the Christian Faith "should be." Being that we don't fully know what it should be, I think it's easier to say what the Christian faith isn't and what it can't be rather than was "IT IS." Looking for someone to come along and offer a final word on biblical matters, particularly those pertaining to personal empowerment, will be a long time in coming.

Moreover, each person will have to arrive at what he or she thinks is the best answer to the question of, "What wonderful things can we expect from God and how will He endow these thing to us in our lives?" To arrive at your own answer, you'll have to engage more than one point of view, more than one Christian theology and then decide for yourself. One source (of many) I've used in relation to the outlook of this particular thread is the book,

Grudem, Wayne A. Are Miraculous Gifts for Today?: Four Views. Zondervan Publishing House, 1996.​
  1. Cessationist
  2. Open But Cautious
  3. Third Wave
  4. Pentecostal/Charismatic
Expecting miracles or personal spiritual endowments when God hasn't shown over the last 2,000 years to be in the business of providing them very often or in a clearly ordered fashion should tell us that we might be expecting too much and to have our focus misplaced as we live out our lives in Christ. And to this, I'd affirm that I am within the "Open but Cautious" camp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkepticOnTheFence

Apr 3, 2023
Baltimore
✟12,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Expecting miracles or personal spiritual endowments when God hasn't shown over the last 2,000 years to be in the business of providing them very often or in a clearly ordered fashion should tell us that we might be expecting too much and to have our focus misplaced as we live out our lives in Christ. And to this, I'd affirm that I am within the "Open but Cautious" camp.
How about the hypothesis that God is in such a business, but the business requires certain conditions to be met? Just like salvation has conditions that need to be met. Otherwise, we could use a similar argument to be skeptical of salvation: "So few appear to be saved that we should rather be skeptical of this whole salvation thing".

By the way, remember to check out post #94 (my last reply).

Reactions: Berserk
Upvote 0

Dan2255

Nov 1, 2023
Toledo
✟11,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it possible for a skeptic on the fence to have a personal encounter with God?

What would such an encounter look like?

What would a "personal relationship with God" look like?

If I'm a skeptic on the fence, is there anything in my power that I can do to "elicit" or "prompt" such an encounter? What would I need to do? And what could I expect to happen?

How would I be able to tell the difference between "God is actually having a personal relationship with me" and "I'm just deluding myself with wishful thinking"?

Can God make his presence and interaction "obvious" to me beyond reasonable doubt? Can God reveal himself to me, a skeptic on the fence, in a powerful and life-changing way?
Yes whenever someone who hears the gospel the Father’s Holy Spirit makes it alive within him. If he chooses to obey the truth or reject it that person has judged himself. As the apostle wrote it would be better off for a man not to hear the gospel then to hear a turn from it.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a bit skeptical of the "logic" behind this claim. If God exists, it seems to me that He is the kind of God that enjoys designing systems that are governed by laws. I don't see why the spiritual realm would be any different. Therefore, it would follow that the process by which human beings can experience the supernatural would also be governed by laws. In fact, I even see evidence of this in the Bible itself. For instance, there are demons that cannot be cast out without prayer and fasting. That sounds like a spiritual law. Or Jesus having to fast for 40 days in order to unleash the power of the Spirit. Sounds like some spiritual laws were in operation there. If the spiritual realm is governed by rules, and if you want to call that a "formula", that's fine, but I fail to see why that would be problematic at all.
Do you see that your attempt at a deduction is neither Valid nor Sound? You'll need a lot more to substantiate your personal "seemings" than what mere hasty generalizations can afford you.

It doesn't really "follow" by some sort of causal fiat that what can be termed as an amorphous conceptual spirituality has any semblance, let alone analogous patterns or meanings, to the structures of the physical world and its natural systems.

Also, the act of simply reading the biblical texts in the Gospels pertaining to either demons that cannot be cast out without prayer [and fasting] or to the report that Jesus fasted in the desert for 40 days doesn't demonstrate in any way that there is some sort of "spiritual law" at work. No, it'll take much more to exegete those passages and draw out any bona fide implications about spiritual rules or laws, if they even exist, than what your simple references to these passages can provide.

As for attributions of a "formula," I'm not citing that such a thing actually exists. No, I'm citing the sort of ideas and nomenclature that Faith Movements teachers have put forth by their own words and from their own notions about the nature of the Christian faith. I don't believe in formulas, spiritual laws or spiritual guarantees, at least not of the sort that can be easily recognized, tested and measured.

So, I hate to say this, but it is actually your attempt at "logic" that is questionable here.

I would buy your objection if you were to show somehow that the spiritual realm doesn't work according to rules/laws.
No, it's incumbent upon you to firmly demonstrate and cite why anyone should think there is ...

But if you want an example, I suppose we could start with looking again at Paul's askance of the Lord to heal his ailing eye-sight (... to which the Lord apparently said "No" three times).
I fail to see how this would be incompatible with expecting the supernatural to manifest under certain conditions. Please, help me out to see the contradiction, because I don't see it.
Maybe it's time to read more intensive books then?
But that's just not what I see in lots of testimonies. It sounds like you are encouraging me to dismiss contemporary testimonies. But that kind of epistemology can easily lead to dismissing 1st century testimonies as well, which is self-refuting (from a Christian perspective). Of course, atheists would be happy to concede your skepticism, but that's precisely not the point. I want to become a Christian and I want to find the Christian God, so entertaining an atheistic epistemology is not helpful.

You and I must be reading and hearing a vastly different set of testimonies then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟34,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I was what you call baptized in the holy spirit about 12 years ago when God healed me from alcoholism after I almost stumbled on my 1-year-old granddaughter and begged him to heal me. After being healed I also had an unexplainable love for everyone including my co-workers but the love soon wore off due to the narcissists and the backbiting by insecure people at work and listening to the media. I started to study the bible like a madman and when I got to the verses on healing the sick, I wasn't buying it because in my 20's I saw Beeny Hinn and I thought that was Hollywood and they just wanted my money. I begged God at 50 years old: " Lord I want to believe the word but I don't buy into this healing, please show me and this went on for a couple of weeks". Three months later Dec 2000 I was preparing my meal and I heard an authoritative voice "Call your Mom" So naturally I asked my wife to call my mom because I was hungry. My mom was having a stroke, I flew to Houston and was visiting her when my brother-in-law called and told me he was healed of ongoing shoulder pain (no health insurance) Benny Hinn style, lol. My mother-in-law told me she thought the priest had killed him when he fell down.
I was so excited about this that I got on a forum to ask other believers why we don't see more of this. I was shocked at how judgmental and arrogant my fellow brothers and sisters were. I was called a word of faith and a Charismatic, I didn't even know what that was. Humankind likes to label and place people in tribes or boxes if people don't believe the way they do.
Last month I had a heart attack due to worry and stress of the lunacy in the world and was told that my heart was damaged and that I could recover some of the damage by exercising. The first day I walked, after half a block I had extreme shortness of breath and it scared me. I got on YouTube and looked up stress and was turned on to meditation and Gregg Brandon. Listening to Gregg reminded me of some of the similarities to the NDE videos since COVID, quantum physics, and the bible. The next day I walked 1.5 miles and later that week at the cardiologist I told him I walked two miles that day and the look on his face showed me his disbelief. Then I knew I was healed.
If every human on this planet could remember God's great commandment of loving him with your heart and loving your neighbor as you love yourself (this is hard!), we wouldn't be an inch close to nuking mankind into oblivion. I thank God our ancestors didn't have nukes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0