Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What is the Calvinist view of wealth? Is it a sign of God's blessing? Is it a hindrance to entering eternal life? How do Calvinists interpret the passage about the rich man and the camel and the eye of the needle?

Why do you think one's soteriological view affects his viewpoint on this passage?

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think one's soteriological view affects his viewpoint on this passage?

Historically, Calvinists have had a very well-developed view regarding wealth and its regard to evidence of God's blessing. That's why saintboniface is asking. Essentially, he's asking if we still hold the view that earlier Calvinists held to, that a person's prosperity was a product of their election. I have been trying to form an answer for the last few days, but the fact remains that, while I don't see how material wealth is even an issue addressed by the tenets of Calvinism, I don't really know what the consensus is among Calvinists, in general, or if there is any consensus at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Nonaeroterraqueous provided a good response to your question. Additionally, search the internet for: Calvinist, Wealth, and/or Work Ethic.

As far as most Calvinists are concerned (or people who call themselves Calvinists), in my experience, they are only concerned with the actual 5 points of Calvinism and doctrines such as election and predestination and God's sovereignty.

It's not as if every single person who calls themselves a Calvinist is in agreement on every single little question and other areas of Christian life.

However I will offer my own opinion, I do not think that wealth or prosperity are necessarily a reflection of being one of God's elect. In fact I think the two are two different categories that are not related.

God dispenses his gifts to whomever He pleases for whatever purpose he wants.

I think there can be such a thing as an elect person who is royal, noble, and very wealth and rich and enjoy luxury and comfort in life.

And also there can be a hell-bound hater of God in the same position.

There can be an elect person who is poor and miserable and diseased and persecuted and going hungry and in constant pain and discomfort his entire life.

And there can also be a non-elect person who experiences the same things.

After all, heaven is said to have multitudes of people from all tribes, tongues, peoples, and nations. In other words, many people groups are represented by the body of Christ, from kings to slaves.

Upvote 0

stenerson

Apr 6, 2013
✟14,161.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your answer. I guess I couldn't really have expected much different of an answer. You are baptist I see, maybe I would get something different from a Christian Reformed.

I've never read or heard anything different concerning this topic. There aren't any respectable reformed theologians that believe wealth is an indicator of being elect or non-elect. Most teach that talent, resources, blessings etc. are all gifts of God to be used for the advancement of His kingdom. And the Protestant "work" ethic is Eccl 9: 10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might,

But scripture teaches that for the most part God has chosen the poor, foolish, weak :
or consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; 27but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, 28and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are.

So, no, we don't believe status, wealth, privilege is any indicator of one's eternal destiny. How one uses them is.
Remember Jesus portrait of the rich man and Lazarus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Nonaeroterraqueous provided a good response to your question. Additionally, search the internet for: Calvinist, Wealth, and/or Work Ethic.

Thanks for your answer. I guess I couldn't really have expected much different of an answer. You are baptist I see, maybe I would get something different from a Christian Reformed.

It seems you are confusing denominations with doctrines. A person can identify as any number of denominations and yet still also be a Calvinist.

Upvote 0

stenerson

Apr 6, 2013
✟14,161.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
How do Calvinists interpret the passage about the rich man and the camel and the eye of the needle?

Most I've heard interpret it as Christ speaking of a real sewing needle and a camel. The point is it's impossible. The disciples despaired at this saying and asked "then who can be saved?"
The conclusion from Christ: “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
Calvinism proven biblical again. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the Calvinist view of wealth? Is it a sign of God's blessing? Is it a hindrance to entering eternal life? How do Calvinists interpret the passage about the rich man and the camel and the eye of the needle?

Worldly wealth is a hindrance, anyone who says otherwise does violence to the Scripture. However, God works all things according to the counsel of His will. So, if a Christian becomes wealthy it is not a mistake. The issue then becomes the use of one's wealth. The example Christ gave us is that He laid down His life for us, because of this we ought to lay down our lives for one another (1 John 3:16). If we need to be serously willing to die, if necessary, we must be willing to part with money too.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,943,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Concerning John Calvin and riches, a short excerpt from Philip Schaff's, History of the Christian Church.
Riches and honors had no charms for him. He soared far above filthy lucre and worldly ambition. His only ambition was that pure and holy ambition to serve God to the best of his ability. He steadily refused an increase of salary, and frequently also presents of every description, except for the poor and the refugees, whom he always had at heart, and aided to the extent of his means. He left only two hundred and fifty gold crowns, or, if we include the value of his furniture and library, about three hundred crowns, which he bequeathed to his younger brother, Antoine, and his children, except ten crowns to the schools, ten to the hospital for poor refugees, and ten to the daughter of a cousin. When Cardinal Sadolet passed through Geneva in disguise (about 1547), he was surprised to find that the Reformer lived in a plain house instead of an episcopal palace with a retinue of servants, and himself opened the door. When Pope Pius IV. heard of his death he paid him this tribute: “The strength of that heretic consisted in this,—that money never had the slightest charm for him. If I had such servants, my dominions would extend from sea to sea.” In this respect all the Reformers were true successors of the Apostles. They were poor, but made many rich. History of the Christian Church, Book 8/Chpt 18/Part 166

Upvote 0

saintboniface

Jan 1, 2014
✟15,501.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Worldly wealth is a hindrance, anyone who says otherwise does violence to the Scripture. However, God works all things according to the counsel of His will. So, if a Christian becomes wealthy it is not a mistake. The issue then becomes the use of one's wealth. The example Christ gave us is that He laid down His life for us, because of this we ought to lay down our lives for one another (1 John 3:16). If we need to be serously willing to die, if necessary, we must be willing to part with money too.

Agreed. Except perhaps the part about a Christian becoming wealthy not by mistake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums