✟98,407.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Burning of Bibles and Korans

Some say: If a book belongs to me, I may burn it, of course.

I say:

It depends, whether I burn a book at home because it is old and I do not need it any more.
Or if I burn a Bible or a Koran in a public place in front of many people, as a kind of protest demonstration.

What do you think?

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟67,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I say:

It depends, whether I burn a book at home because it is old and I do not need it any more.
Or if I burn a Bible or a Koran in a public place in front of many people, as a kind of protest demonstration.

What do you think?
I think if anyone wants to publically burn the Bible as demonstration of their hatred for its contents,
they will give an account to God someday.

I believe Christians should respect the laws of the government they are under.
If the country's government has laws against burning a book like the Quran, the Christian
living in that land should respect that.

In the book of Acts believers who formerly practiced magic seemed to have burned their
books. I do not know how public it was though fellow Christians must have witnessed it. (Acts 19:19)

And many of those who had believed came, confessing and making known their practices.
And a considerable number of those who practiced magic brought their books together

and burned them before all; and they counted up the price of them and found it to be fifty thousand pieces of silver.
(Acts 19:18,19)

For testimony's sake Christians should respect the laws of the nation's government where they live.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I consider it disrespectful, but I think that is the intent. In the US it is considered free expression so long as it is your property and not endangering others.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,210,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I say:

What do you think?
I think you should be able to do what you wish with books that you own, regardless of reason or location.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟245,890.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The printed book and the literacy it enabled played an essential role in the development of today's culture and civilisation. Some may see that as a negative. I don't. Therefore I think all books have an intrinsic value - some more than others. Thus I am generally opposed to book burning, but as Desk trauma said.
you should be able to do what you wish with books that you own, regardless of reason or location.
I add these caveats:
While I support the right of people to do so I condemn those who choose book burning as a means of explicitly or implicitly restricting the distribution of particular knowledge or viewpoint.​
It would be courteous to refrain from burning religious books, but I understand the passion that ignites (subconscious pun) the need to do so in some.​
Ultimately the issue is context sensitive.

Reactions: comana
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,210,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I add these caveats:
While I support the right of people to do so I condemn those who choose book burning as a means of explicitly or implicitly restricting the distribution of particular knowledge or viewpoint.It would be courteous to refrain from burning religious books, but I understand the passion that ignites (subconscious pun) the need to do so in some.
I wouldn’t. There is zero (0) chance of the Koran or Bible having its availability, never mind existence, limited by someone burning copies they purchased to make a scene or prove a point.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟245,890.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn’t. There is zero (0) chance of the Koran or Bible having its availability, never mind existence, limited by someone burning copies they purchased to make a scene or prove a point.
Sorry, I was unclear and you have misunderstood me. In the first sentence I am speaking about books in general. I had in mind the book burning that forms part of the protests about excluding certain books from public schools, a practice I oppose. My opposition to burning religious books is purely one of courtesy.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟606,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unless the bible was blessed by a Catholic priest, it's not considered a holy book, and can be burned at will.

Korans obviously can (and should) be burned at will.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟873,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unless the bible was blessed by a Catholic priest, it's not considered a holy book, and can be burned at will.

Korans obviously can (and should) be burned at will.

How do you not see that what you give is what you should expect? Does disregarding the faith of others make you feel superior, justified?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟606,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is extremely offensive. If it is intended as humour it failed.
Why is it offensive? The Koran book represents a false religion, unlike Christianity and Judaism.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟606,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you not see that what you give is what you should expect? Does disregarding the faith of others make you feel superior, justified?
Anyone can disregard my faith if they choose. Why would I care if a non-Catholic burned a Catholic Bible, or a statue of Mary? It doesn't effect my life.

Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟873,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anyone can disregard my faith if they choose. Why would I care if a non-Catholic burned a Catholic Bible, or a statue of Mary? It doesn't effect my life.

That wasn't my question, but you're answering the one I asked, I guess. Your position was if it's not blessed by a priest, it's of no spiritual value; therefore, it can be burned at will. You believe your faith is better. The non-Catholic who burns the Catholic Bible (whatever that is) is a spiritual degenerate so who cares? My question was- Do you feel superior, justified? And, plainly, you do

My other question was- Why don't you see that whatever you give, you get in return? Here's what is not consistent with your position. You cry that your faith isn't being respected, and yet you don't respect the faith of others. I see that as emotional and spiritual immaturity. Don't you?

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟661,812.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

I say:

What do you think?

I think Paul is an example of how things should done,

Check out Acts 19 he did not speak against objects that people worshipped.

Absolutely he did not burn them.

Also note verse 32 also an example of today with mass protests all over the place.

Makes me think, times may change, we don't, not that much anyhow.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟245,890.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Why is it offensive? The Koran book represents a false religion, unlike Christianity and Judaism.
So your attitude to the world is "My way, or the highway". You favour confrontation over cooperation. You ignore sincerity in others, regardless of how misplaced it may be. Astounding! If you were in the UK I could possibly report you for hate speech.
Instead, I forgive you, which is the toughest thing I'll have to do this week.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟606,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So your attitude to the world is "My way, or the highway". You favour confrontation over cooperation. You ignore sincerity in others, regardless of how misplaced it may be. Astounding! If you were in the UK I could possibly report you for hate speech.
Instead, I forgive you, which is the toughest thing I'll have to do this week.
It's not sincerity that forces other people to respect something material..! It's through a sense of entitlement and group action that people are forced to not burn religious objects.

...Radical Muslims should stop tripping over their ego's when they say I can't burn "their" book, when it belongs to me.

My property, my choice.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟377,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I have an English translation of the Koran in my home library. Along with the Bible (REB version,) the Bhagavad Gita, the Book of Mormon, the Analects of Confucius, Edith Hamilton’s Mythology, and several commentaries on religious scriptures. I’ve read parts of all of them. None have changed my skepticism of religion. But I wouldn’t burn any of them. There’s nothing wrong with having some knowledge of world religions.

Edited to add: I have one supposedly “religious” book that might be fit for the flames: L. Ron Hubbard’s “ Dianetics.” The bible of Scientology. It’s an unreadable concoction of pseudo-psychological gobbledegook. I never made it past page 3. I don’t know why I still have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: comana
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟661,812.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I have an English translation of the Koran in my home library. Along with the Bible (REB version,) the Bhagavad Gita, the Book of Mormon, the Analects of Confucius, Edith Hamilton’s Mythology, and several commentaries on religious scriptures. I’ve read parts of all of them. None have changed my skepticism of religion. But I wouldn’t burn any of them. There’s nothing wrong with having some knowledge of world religions.

Edited to add: I have one supposedly “religious” book that might be fit for the flames: L. Ron Hubbard’s “ Dianetics.” The bible of Scientology. It’s an unreadable concoction of pseudo-psychological gobbledegook. I never made it past page 3. I don’t know why I still have it.

I don't think I have ever seen a Koran, so I have no idea what is in it.

But, judging by the female hijab wearing busdriver today there must be something in it, inspiring,

Boy o boy did she drive or what, she drove like a car thief, very impressive.

Also I have noticed the women are quick to smile and friendly, I say women because that is mostly who I see, I take the bus almost every day, sometimes six buses a day.

So it is said "do not judge a book by it's cover", I have not seen the book but most probably what's inside, indirectly.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟377,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think I have ever seen a Koran, so I have no idea what is in it.

But, judging by the female hijab wearing busdriver today there must be something in it, inspiring,

Boy o boy did she drive or what, she drove like a car thief, very impressive.

Also I have noticed the women are quick to smile and friendly, I say women because that is mostly who I see, I take the bus almost every day, sometimes six buses a day.

So it is said "do not judge a book by it's cover", I have not seen the book but most probably what's inside, indirectly.

The Koran was supposedly written by Muhammad. As I recall, it’s divided into over 100 chapters. It contains prayers, moral instruction, some history, prophesy, and accounts of Muhammad’s life. Somewhat like the Bible. It opens with a prayer to Allah, the Al-Fatiha:

Thee (alone) we worship; Thee (alone) we ask for help. Show us the straight path, Guide us in the straight path, the path of those on whom you have bestowed your grace, not of those who have incurred your wrath nor of those who have gone astray.

Nothing offensive about this.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟661,812.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
The Koran was supposedly written by Muhammad. As I recall, it’s divided into over 100 chapters. It contains prayers, moral instruction, some history, prophesy, and accounts of Muhammad’s life. Somewhat like the Bible. It opens with a prayer to Allah, the Al-Fatiha:

Thee (alone) we worship; Thee (alone) we ask for help. Show us the straight path, Guide us in the straight path, the path of those on whom you have bestowed your grace, not of those who have incurred your wrath nor of those who have gone astray.

Nothing offensive about this.

I do not se anything offensive in that either.

The answer to the book burners should be, produce more children so you don't come in minority, that is what they are afraid of.

Haha, take a leaf out of the Koran, must be there somewhere,

Children are a gift.

Upvote 0