Visit site
✟1,518,443.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This came across my email inbox today, and given how often our discussions here touch on (or revolve around) boundaries in ministry, I thought it worth sharing. I'm not sure this is exactly how I'd structure such a thing, but as a starting point for reflection it might be helpful. (Originally found here: Healthy Boundaries in Ministry Relationships (Webinar Recording) ).

Self Assessment Questionnaire

Self-Assessment (adapted from Marie Fortune, 1992). The following questions may be used to assess your own “at riskness” in violating ministerial boundaries.

Rate each statement on a scale of 1-5

5=yes, almost always; 3= sometimes; 1= almost never

Personal History

_____ Does my personal or family history include physical, emotional, or sexual abuse, alcohol and drug abuse, or other major family dysfunction?

_____ Am I taking steps to address these areas where I need healing?

Psychosexual Integration

_____ Are my personal relationships wholesome? That is, do I welcome and invite the presence of Christ into the whole relationship without hidden places “just for me”?

_____ Am I able to identify my emotional/sexual needs and meet them appropriately?

Professional Self
_____ Am I meeting my personal needs outside of my work setting?

_____ Do I accept and affirm the power inherent in my professional role?

_____ Am I aware of the effects of that power on those with whom I interact?

_____ Do I remain alert to my potential for violating boundaries due to that power?

_____ Am I aware of the consequences to me of my violating the boundaries of my ministerial relationships?

_____ Do I have a consultation or supervision setting in which I can discuss these questions?

Marriage and Friendships
_____ Do I have the kind of friendship with my spouse, or if not married a trusted person, with whom I can talk about my emotional, needs?

_____ Do I have the kind of friendship with my spouse, or if not married a trusted person, with whom I can talk about my sexual needs?

_____ Do I obtain outside help when relationship problems occur?

_____ Do I have a pastor to pastor me?

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This came across my email inbox today, and given how often our discussions here touch on (or revolve around) boundaries in ministry, I thought it worth sharing. I'm not sure this is exactly how I'd structure such a thing, but as a starting point for reflection it might be helpful. (Originally found here: Healthy Boundaries in Ministry Relationships (Webinar Recording) ).

Self Assessment Questionnaire

Self-Assessment (adapted from Marie Fortune, 1992). The following questions may be used to assess your own “at riskness” in violating ministerial boundaries.

Rate each statement on a scale of 1-5

5=yes, almost always; 3= sometimes; 1= almost never

Personal History

_____ Does my personal or family history include physical, emotional, or sexual abuse, alcohol and drug abuse, or other major family dysfunction?

_____ Am I taking steps to address these areas where I need healing?

Psychosexual Integration

_____ Are my personal relationships wholesome? That is, do I welcome and invite the presence of Christ into the whole relationship without hidden places “just for me”?

_____ Am I able to identify my emotional/sexual needs and meet them appropriately?

Professional Self
_____ Am I meeting my personal needs outside of my work setting?

_____ Do I accept and affirm the power inherent in my professional role?

_____ Am I aware of the effects of that power on those with whom I interact?

_____ Do I remain alert to my potential for violating boundaries due to that power?

_____ Am I aware of the consequences to me of my violating the boundaries of my ministerial relationships?

_____ Do I have a consultation or supervision setting in which I can discuss these questions?

Marriage and Friendships
_____ Do I have the kind of friendship with my spouse, or if not married a trusted person, with whom I can talk about my emotional, needs?

_____ Do I have the kind of friendship with my spouse, or if not married a trusted person, with whom I can talk about my sexual needs?

_____ Do I obtain outside help when relationship problems occur?

_____ Do I have a pastor to pastor me?

For the most part, I really like this questionnaire. My only concern surrounds the questions concerning relationships: firstly, that the question concerning “sexual needs” doesn’t seem to take into account those of us who are celibate, and therefore do not have sexual needs but rather a need for support in resisting such temptations, secondly, well, the form kind of addresses this; I personally consider it unethical to become romantically involved with a member of one’s own congregation, and I think its due to issues surrounding this that the Eastern churches (EO, OO, Assyrian, and Eastern Catholics, except in places where due to pressure from Latin Rite bishops or Latinization they are not allowed to marry, full stop) require priests to be married or celibate, although the one problem with the approach of the Eastern churches is there exists no procedure for a celibate priest who falls in love with or otherwise finds a spouse to take a sabbatical, explore that relationship, be married and then be reordained; you basically get locked in to one lifestyle or the other, so this is one area where I agree with the Anglican approach.

That being said, I do feel that it would be wrong to initiate a relationship with someone in my congregation due to the power imbalance, and the section on boundaries I think is asking the right questions; my only concern is that perhaps it doesn’t ask enough of them. Like, a priest could delude themselves into thinking “Ok, I understand the power my position has, but as long as I have an open conversation with the person I am interested in,” etc, and this turns into rationalization. If you disagree I’d like to know.

The other thing I see absent are questions about ones relationship with superiors, for example, the relationship between priests and bishops. In an ideal world, an Episcopal polity would mean the bishop would be our pastor of pastors who we could confide in. However, enough of my friends and colleagues have toxic relations with their bishops, sometimes even in the Eastern churches (in the Syriac Orthodox Church, there was a priest who really did not get along with the Archbishop of the Western US, who at the time was newly appointed, and was so outraged by him, and also felt underpaid (he was making $4800/mo and this was like the year 2,000, and as Orthodox priests get paid, adjusting for inflation, he was doing very well, considering that in 2009 GoArch was paying a non-Greek convert priest in Canada CA$900/mo, requiring him to work as a landscaper to make ends meet, which led to him suing, in my opinion with some cause, for racial discrimination, because I hear variants of that story too frequently involving GoArch (and why does the American Carpatho Rusyn Orthodox Diocese have a Greek bishop and not a Carpatho-Rusyn bishop). At any rate this priest arguably crossed boundaries by getting a substantial number of the congregation to leave with him to a new parish he founded elsewhere in Burbank under the episcopal authority of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church, which as I have mentioned is in a horrible feud with the Patriarchate of Antioch and has a policy of receiving any disgruntled clergy from the Patriarch of Antioch. Then there is the small Malankara Independent Syrian Church, which is the one that due to oddities is both Orthodox and in communion with the Anglican Communion due to its relations with the Protestant, Anglican Mar Thoma Syrian Church, which is one of the three Anglican provinces in India, along with the CSI and CNI (which gives India the second highest number of provinces after the UK, which has four, not counting the Free Church of England), unless the archdioceses in Australia are distinct provinces, but I was under the impression they are not.

So, i like this list, the only real change I would make is to add something for persons committed to celibacy whose sexual needs are not to be bothered by it while also not making themselves ineligible for the clergy by violating canon I of Nicaea (the one prohibiting anyone who has had themselves castrated for non-medical reasons from receiving Holy Orders, on the grounds they are a “self-murderer.” Also, for churches with an Episcopal polity, I feel like some questions about the bishop, proper boundaries with the bishop, trust in the bishop, comfort with obeying episcopal instructions and so on could be helpful, and a version of this list for bishops to make sure they don’t violate boundaries with their priests would be helpful.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,443.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My only concern surrounds the questions concerning relationships: firstly, that the question concerning “sexual needs” doesn’t seem to take into account those of us who are celibate, and therefore do not have sexual needs but rather a need for support in resisting such temptations,

Yes, that's a good point. I guess it could be read as implied, but it would have been good if there were some explicit acknowledgement of single people here.

secondly, well, the form kind of addresses this; I personally consider it unethical to become romantically involved with a member of one’s own congregation,

It's certainly problematic. Usually if interest grows in that direction, the lay person ends up having to move parish/church. We do have provision for pursuing such a relationship under the oversight of the bishop, usually in situations (such as very remote areas) where just moving parishes isn't an option, but it's an exceptional circumstance. And it does produce problems for single ministers who would like not to be single, because the pool of people you might meet who are outside your church whom you yet spend enough time with to build a relationship, and who understand and support what you do enough to put up with what it does to a relationship, is typically very small!

Like, a priest could delude themselves into thinking “Ok, I understand the power my position has, but as long as I have an open conversation with the person I am interested in,” etc, and this turns into rationalization. If you disagree I’d like to know.

No, I don't disagree at all.

The other thing I see absent are questions about ones relationship with superiors, for example, the relationship between priests and bishops. In an ideal world, an Episcopal polity would mean the bishop would be our pastor of pastors who we could confide in. However, enough of my friends and colleagues have toxic relations with their bishops,...

Look, even when your relationship with your bishop is not toxic, it can be a real conflict of interest if they're both providing you with pastoral care, and your "boss" in the practical sense. Right now I am dealing with some significant personal stuff, and I've deliberately chosen not to talk to my bishop about it, because if he doesn't respond well it's not just pastoral care I forfeit, but potentially a good working relationship for every other aspect of what I do. It's a big risk.

But yes, some questions about your relationship to authority within your church structure would be helpful.

unless the archdioceses in Australia are distinct provinces, but I was under the impression they are not.

No, they're not. Tasmania has some strange extra-provincial status despite being part of the Anglican Church of Australia.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, that's a good point. I guess it could be read as implied, but it would have been good if there were some explicit acknowledgement of single people here.

It's certainly problematic. Usually if interest grows in that direction, the lay person ends up having to move parish/church. We do have provision for pursuing such a relationship under the oversight of the bishop, usually in situations (such as very remote areas) where just moving parishes isn't an option, but it's an exceptional circumstance. And it does produce problems for single ministers who would like not to be single, because the pool of people you might meet who are outside your church whom you yet spend enough time with to build a relationship, and who understand and support what you do enough to put up with what it does to a relationship, is typically very small!

No, I don't disagree at all.

Look, even when your relationship with your bishop is not toxic, it can be a real conflict of interest if they're both providing you with pastoral care, and your "boss" in the practical sense. Right now I am dealing with some significant personal stuff, and I've deliberately chosen not to talk to my bishop about it, because if he doesn't respond well it's not just pastoral care I forfeit, but potentially a good working relationship for every other aspect of what I do. It's a big risk.

But yes, some questions about your relationship to authority within your church structure would be helpful.

No, they're not. Tasmania has some strange extra-provincial status despite being part of the Anglican Church of Australia.

These are good points. Regarding the church I am considering joining, you raise a valid point, however, my friend who is a bishop would not actually be my boss, because he is a suffragan bishop, and there is a diocesan bishop who I would actually be working for directly. It is also the case before the diocesan bishop reposes, I would be ordained after a certain number of years as the bishop of a Western diocese, because as it stands they have offered to grant me faculties to ordain readers, which would make me functionally a chorepiscopos.

However, historically, it was the ideal in the Eastern churches that bishops would be the confessors of their priests, a relationship like that of an abbot and his monks. The antagonism between bishops and some clergy in the Roman Catholic Church is rare in the Eastern churches. Generally, tensions tend to be between bishops, rather than between bishops and priests. And you can only get ordained if you build a personal relationship with a bishop, whereas in many Western denominarions, there is a clear pathway whereby if you pass psychological evaluations, vocational coaching and so on, go through seminary, go through defined procedures, and so on, you will get posted as an assistant pastor or curate, and then in many denominations, congregations call the pastor, whereas in the Eastern churches, they are assigned, like in most Western churches with bishops.

Also, Eastern bishops tend to visit their parishes frequently and are highly venerated by the laity (Slavs call them Vladkya, meaning Master, and Syriacs call them Mar or Mor, meaning “My Lord”, so Barekh Mor means “Give a blessing, my Lord,” and in Middle Eastern congregations, when a bishop shows up or is ordained, or a priest is ordained, the women will engage in ululation. Also, when priests are ordained or when bishops visit in Eastern Orthodox and Byzantine Catholic churches, the congregation at the end of the liturgy sings a hymn “God grant them many years” or “Many years to you, O Master.” And bishops are ceremonially vested in the nave.

They are also generally either monks or in some cases, widowers, but mostly monks; a handful are elderly married men who have taken a credible vow of chastity. Chorepiscopi, who are like Mitred Archpriests or Archimandrites (monastic archpriests, whose ranks most bishops are chosen from), and mainly exist in the Oriental Orthodox churches and the Assyrian Church of the East, and some Eastern Catholic churches, but I think there are a few among the Eastern Orthodox, can be married and have children. For example, I am good friends with an Assyrian Chorepiscopi who is the priest of a large parish, the only one in its area, which serves a huge conversation, and he has a loving wife and several beautiful daughters, who are all active in the parish. Because of these differences between the function and relationship of bishops with the laity and presbyters and protodeacons in the Eastern churches vs. the Western churches, I feel like some questions should perhaps be changed to reflect the cultural distinction.

Which really, is not a huge difference; this questionaire is a great template, but for each major family of denominations I can think of appropriate variations. For example, Congregationalists and Presbyterian churches have teaching elders and ruling elders, and Presbyterians and Continental Reformed churches also have Presbyteries or Classis led by moderators, who are elected annually, and there is a General Synod with a moderator who also serves a fixed term. And the Baptist conventions have Presidents who serve a one year term. So there is scope for different sets of boundary violations, potential exploitation, and problems due to intentional abuse or accidental ignorance of boundaries which should not be crossed, for example, potential conflicts of interest if your best friend gets elected the moderator of your presbytery. And the Calvary Chapel, whose Moses Model polity gives each senior pastor unlimited power over their church, the only check on this power being the ability of the denomination to revoke their right to use the Calvary Chapel name, would require a lot of additional questions I think.

Which takes me to another point: in the Syriac Orthodox Church, married men need the permission of their wives to serve as priests, because of the duties involved in being a presbytera. It seems to me that the spouse or potential spouse of a man or woman in Holy Orders should either consent for their husband or wife to be ordained to major orders (the diaconate, priesthood or episcopate), with the spouse considering ordination fully disclosing all of the lifestyle changes this will cause (traditionally this was a conversation held with the bishop, who would be present to protect the interests of the wife if she was not keen on it or the husband was understating what was involved), and in terms of single priests considering getting married, they have got to disclose the lifestyle to their potential spouse, and make sure they understand it. You may not agree with this at all, but I think it is important, and perhaps not the bishop, because there is a conflict of interest in that, what if he really needs more priests? Lots of churches have a serious shortage of vocations. However, a neutral third party, like a pastor, being present, perhaps another pastor who has married, and perhaps one who also is licensed as a marriage counselor* who could make sure the spouse or prospective spouse understood the situation.

*This is common in the United States to the point that it played a major role in the plot of the American remake of the classic British political drama House of Cards, with the President who was having marital problems being forced to resign after being tricked into thinking the marriage counseling he and his wide were having, provided by a pastor, whose church they were not even members of, would be protected by pastor-penitent privilege, when it was not, since it was not confession, and involved multiple people, and for various reasons violated the principle as established by the courts, and thus the pastor leaked information, and was subpoenaed by a special judicial subcommittee which was out to get the President, and in this way Kevin Spacey’s character, the Vice President by this point, secretly engineered his ascent to the Oval Office.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

Again, I really appreciate your advice here and take it all seriously. Even though I may have been ordained before you, or not, since I was with the UCC in the 2000s as a junior minister but then resigned when the senior minister, who I personally admired and found to be a great mentor who entrusted me with great freedom and listened to my opinion, and tended to take my advice, in the one area where I had as much expertise and enthusiasm then, as now, that being liturgics, as we both had issues with the UCC Book of Worship, and we were also free to edit it or not use it at all, reached the age of retirement, I was really disgusted with the direction the UCC was headed in, and our congregation was shifting due to the death of conservative members of the WWII and Korean War generations, and the Faithful and Welcoming group for matching traditional ministers with traditional parishes did not exist yet, and I had grave concerns about the direction things would take in our parish, so I decided to leave with my last service being the same one as the senior pastor. And after a few months of contemplating looking for another ministerial job, I felt burned out by the predominance of extreme revisionist theology on the one hand, in churches which otherwise had traditional worship, and of contemporary worship with rock music but traditional theology in the other hand. I considered Roman Catholicism because of Summorum Pontificum and the possibility of multi-ritual faculties, but worried about what would happen after Pope Benedict, which turned out to be a legitimate concern. If only he had pronounced Summorum Pontificum ex cathedra from St. John Lateran (the actual cathedral of Rome; if the Pope does this, thanks to Vatican I, it makes their action an infallible part of the Magisterium, but imagine if a succession of modernist and traditional Popes made such pronunciations ex cathedra contradicting each other; it could create chaos). So I availed myself of my CS major and basically cried all the way to the bank.

Then, my friend Fr. Steve from the Episcopal Church was due to retire, so I joined to be a part of the last year of his ministry, and the war in Syria happened, but that year I moved and there were no Syriac, Antiochian or Coptic churches anywhere nearby so I joined the OCA, and that plus my year with Fr. Steve reinvigorated me, I joined LiturgyWorks before we had a name, and the in 2019 resumed the ministry.

But compared to you, my experience in dealing with ecclesiastical politics is very limited, and because I was a junior minister, I relied on the senior minister to guide me when it came to issues of ethics and boundary crossing we were not taught in seminary (and we were taught about this in seminary, although a lot of it involved situational ethics, which can be problematic and provide a means for people to rationalize unethical behavior and boundary violations, which the professor acknowledged, but in general, our training in ethics was more theoretical and historical than practical, with relatively little applied ethics focusing on ministry, and also relatively little specifically Christian ethics, and what there was was taught from a specific point of view related entirely too much to the political activism the UCC has lost most of its members over (about 60-65% since I was ordained).

Consequently, my opinions as they relate to this area and also pastoral care should be thought of as tentative, because I acknowledge and defer to your expertise in this area.

Just as I assume you acknowledge my expertise in such vital, imperative and immediately relevant subjects such as whether or not the Divine Liturgy of St. James is actually a derivative of the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil, as opposed to what was traditionally believed, and the history of how the Syriac hymn called a Qanone evolved from the Greek canon, and the development of the modern palette of liturgical colors, and the nature of the controversy over whether Sarum Blue was ever actually used in Advent historically or was an invention of Victorian Anglo Catholics, and on the same note, whether violet or purple paraments or a Lenten Array are more appropriate in an Anglican parish during Lent. Because these are serious life or death questions, next to which things like ethics, boundary violations and clerical misconduct shrink to insignificance, provided one finds oneself having fallen down a rabbit hole into a wondrous land where pills make you change in size, a cat that looks like Tony Blair appears, annoys you with riddles, and disappears, and a corpulent Queen of Hearts is keenly interested in decapitating you, and many other people (I would hate to meet the Queen of Spades).

Jokes aside, I seriously value and indeed defer to your experience in this area, because I have met few clergy as interested in pastoral care and proper ethics as you.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,443.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Which takes me to another point: in the Syriac Orthodox Church, married men need the permission of their wives to serve as priests, because of the duties involved in being a presbytera. It seems to me that the spouse or potential spouse of a man or woman in Holy Orders should either consent for their husband or wife to be ordained to major orders (the diaconate, priesthood or episcopate), with the spouse considering ordination fully disclosing all of the lifestyle changes this will cause (traditionally this was a conversation held with the bishop, who would be present to protect the interests of the wife if she was not keen on it or the husband was understating what was involved), and in terms of single priests considering getting married, they have got to disclose the lifestyle to their potential spouse, and make sure they understand it. You may not agree with this at all, but I think it is important, and perhaps not the bishop, because there is a conflict of interest in that, what if he really needs more priests?

I think one of our recent conversations touched on this, but certainly in my experience my husband was part of the process of applying for ordination, and it was made very clear that, if married, the spouse's support was a key matter for discernment. Not that it's generally framed as "permission," but that the church is not in the business of sacrificing marriages for ministry.

I don't know that anyone really understands ahead of time exactly what that will cost, but I will credit the church that they tried really hard to make sure we had opportunity to consider that.

I will also credit the church that I have known several people who felt a strong vocation but didn't have a spouse's support, and the church didn't ordain them, even in rural dioceses crying for clergy. That's a hard place for the person with a vocation, but I see why it is that way.

Just as I assume you acknowledge my expertise in such vital, imperative and immediately relevant subjects such as whether or not the Divine Liturgy of St. James is actually a derivative of the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil, as opposed to what was traditionally believed, and the history of how the Syriac hymn called a Qanone evolved from the Greek canon, and the development of the modern palette of liturgical colors, and the nature of the controversy over whether Sarum Blue was ever actually used in Advent historically or was an invention of Victorian Anglo Catholics, and on the same note, whether violet or purple paraments or a Lenten Array are more appropriate in an Anglican parish during Lent. Because these are serious life or death questions, next to which things like ethics, boundary violations and clerical misconduct shrink to insignificance, provided one finds oneself having fallen down a rabbit hole into a wondrous land where pills make you change in size, a cat that looks like Tony Blair appears, annoys you with riddles, and disappears, and a corpulent Queen of Hearts is keenly interested in decapitating you, and many other people (I would hate to meet the Queen of Spades).

Indeed, in these incredibly vital matters I know nobody whose expertise and enthusiasm outshines yours. :oldthumbsup:

Jokes aside, I seriously value and indeed defer to your experience in this area, because I have met few clergy as interested in pastoral care and proper ethics as you.

Thank you. I guess I have both been on the receiving end of these things handled badly, and also spent enough time picking up the pieces pastorally for others, that I have very little tolerance left for us doing inexcusably badly.

My only more general comment would be that when it comes to church politics, the informal dynamics are often far more the drivers of what happens in a bigger church structure, and they matter. Someone who hopes to be involved beyond their own parish needs to be alive to those dynamics and wise about navigating them.

Oh, and trust nothing that is intimated as likely future offers until the ink is dry on the licence!

Upvote 0