Biblically: Why is homosexuality wrong?

Rebirth In Flames

Jul 5, 2004
✟8,902.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
I've been debating with my cousin who's bi for a while about why homosexuality is wrong in light of Scripture. She argues that the bible is clearly against male-male homosexuality, but mentions nothing about female-female. What are your thoughts?

Biblically, why is homosexuality wrong?

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been debating with my cousin who's bi for a while about why homosexuality is wrong in light of Scripture. She argues that the bible is clearly against male-male homosexuality, but mentions nothing about female-female. What are your thoughts?

Biblically, why is homosexuality wrong?

The rabbis whose discussions are recorded in the Talmud agreed with your cousin. They did not see that females "rubbing" one another had anything to do with the evitical command against "man-lying."

When Paul quoted Plato in Romans 1:26-27, he altered the quote enough to obscure the fact that the "unnatural" "use" that the women were guilty of was mating with other women.

This is because for Paul, as in Plato's original, the thing that made the act para physis, "against nature," was the unbridled Passion and lack of concern for the other person as anything beyond just a convenient body on which to satisfy one's lusts.

The fact that the example was female-female and male-male was due to a jest on Plato's part while he was composing the dialog.

Upvote 0

Rebirth In Flames

Jul 5, 2004
✟8,902.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
The rabbis whose discussions are recorded in the Talmud agreed with your cousin. They did not see that females "rubbing" one another had anything to do with the evitical command against "man-lying."

When Paul quoted Plato in Romans 1:26-27, he altered the quote enough to obscure the fact that the "unnatural" "use" that the women were guilty of was mating with other women.

This is because for Paul, as in Plato's original, the thing that made the act para physis, "against nature," was the unbridled Passion and lack of concern for the other person as anything beyond just a convenient body on which to satisfy one's lusts.

The fact that the example was female-female and male-male was due to a jest on Plato's part while he was composing the dialog.

Good word-for-thought. Also: I had no idea that Paul was quoting Plato in these verses...

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Paul, as a Torah-observant Messiah-believing Jew, would NEVER EVER quote a Greek, let alone Plato.

As for lesbian sexual relations, they are forbidden just as the homosexual ones are. Check out Romans 1:26.
Paul quotes Greeks all the time. He quotes Greeks at least as often as he quotes rabbis.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Biblically, God made our bodies with functional parts. God said it was good. Some parts are for stuff to come out. Some for stuff to go in. That's it. You don't put stuff in the part that puts stuff out. ;) Wallowing in filth is an abomination to God.

Upvote 0

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Biblically, it's all a bunch of presuming "well obviously it means this" and "well obviously it only refers to this". Spiritually, there's nothing wrong with homosexuality any more than there's anything wrong with heterosexuality.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Biblically, it's all a bunch of presuming "well obviously it means this" and "well obviously it only refers to this". Spiritually, there's nothing wrong with homosexuality any more than there's anything wrong with heterosexuality.

It is an abomination to God spiritually, mentally, emotionally and physically. Read the Bible, mate. Stop allowing yourself to be influenced by sinful propoganda. Ony God's Word speaks truth about the matter.

Upvote 0

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It is an abomination to God spiritually, mentally, emotionally and physically. Read the Bible, mate. Stop allowing yourself to be influenced by sinful propoganda. Ony God's Word speaks truth about the matter.

I do. The multiple ways I can interpret what seems like a clear cut verse is amazing. Really makes you think. Only GOD speaks truth on the matter. And so far, God hasn't given me a reason. Only examples of incredibly health homosexual relationships in a world of people who don't even know the value of love and relationships.

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Paul, as a Torah-observant Messiah-believing Jew, would NEVER EVER quote a Greek, let alone Plato.

Romans 1 is not the only time Paul quoted a famous passage from Greek philosophy
[bible]Titus 1:12[/bible]

Paul was raised in the cosmopolitan city of Tarsus. Yes, he was a "Torah-observant Jew," who studied to become a Pharisee under the Rabbi Gamaliel in Jerusalem, but he was also well versed in the Greek classics.

And just compare the two passages and then try to tell me that the Gentile-born Roman Christians would not recognize Plato's example in Paul's

[bible]Romans 1:26-27[/bible]
And whether one makes the observation in earnest or in jest, one certainly should not fail to observe that when male unites with female for procreation the pleasure experienced is held to be due to nature, but contrary to nature when male mates with male or female with female, and that those first guilty of such enormities were impelled by their slavery to pleasure.
Plato, Laws 1.636c

As for lesbian sexual relations, they are forbidden just as the homosexual ones are. Check out Romans 1:26.

Romans 1:26 is the only passage in the entire Bible to recognize that female-on-female "rubbing" can be considered sexual. And even so, Paul downplayed that aspect of it compared to Plato's original.

He does not specify that the womens' para physis sexual activity is lesbian in nature. Since the point of that passage is illicit and excessive Passion, and the same-sex aspect of the example was originally chosen for quite separate reasons, and since Paul went out of his way to re-inforce that the point was Passion, the same-sex aspect cannot be unambiguously be considered of doctrinal importance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

savedandhappy1

Senior Veteran
Oct 27, 2006
Kansas
✟18,944.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good word-for-thought. Also: I had no idea that Paul was quoting Plato in these verses...

There is no Biblical proof that he was, this is just something............well no Biblical proof that he was.

I go with the fact the the Bible is God-breathed and inspired, which would mean he was quoting God not Plato.

Upvote 0

savedandhappy1

Senior Veteran
Oct 27, 2006
Kansas
✟18,944.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I read a commentary which pointed out how women are usually the last stronghold against evil, and so during the OT times they were still staying strong in God.

I guess it is how, even today, the wife/mom is the one keeping the family in church. Any how this commentary said you can tell how far a nation has went away from God when the number of women doing bad/evil things grows.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

Alas, Olliefranz is making claims based on the same assumptions not yet proved.
Firstly Paul’s writing is widely recognised as Hebraist rather than Hellenist. Paul certainly can’t be quoting anyone as Paul makes it plain that his revelation is from Jesus Christ and not man. The answer is good for Plato if he was in the right lines all those years before and yes Paul might express Godly truths with phrases well know to Greeks, but one must also see that he basically expresses Godly truths with Hebraist language.
Indeed Olliefranz not only claims Paul is quoting Plato but then claims he altered the quote. In fact that would suggest he wasn’t quoting Plato.

which of course is fantasy as it is not only not referred to, but goes against what Romans 1 actually says., that it is evident from creation, and in creation God made male and female, which Paul affirms in Eph 5 and 1 Cor 6.

Furthermore it could be said that Ollifranz is quoting me as I have pointed out during discussions that Paul was from the university city of Tarsus, knowledgeable in Greek culture, a Roman citizen, knowledgeable in Roman law and an expert in Judaism having studied under rabban Gamaliel.

1:26 is the only passage in the entire Bible to recognize that female-on-female "rubbing" can be considered sexual. And even so, Paul downplayed that aspect of it compared to Plato's original.
That still assumes Paul is quoting what Plato said, but Paul is quoting what God has said.

This is of course what savedandhappy1 is saying. Olliefranz seems content to believe Paul is quoting Plato, a claim Paul doesnt make, yet unwilling to believe Paul is revealing Jesus Christ's revelation, a claim Paul does make... another instance of denial and disbelief.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I do. The multiple ways I can interpret what seems like a clear cut verse is amazing. Really makes you think. Only GOD speaks truth on the matter. And so far, God hasn't given me a reason. Only examples of incredibly health homosexual relationships in a world of people who don't even know the value of love and relationships.

Why are you looking for a reason? God gave us instincts to know right from wrong. Homosexuals who think they do right have lost that instinct, or they are still so very baby-like in their faith. If they have come to Jesus, they need the feeding of the Word to grow up into maturity, learn from God that they are displeasing Him and make the right changes to their lives.

Hebrews 5:14
Solid food is for those who are mature, who through training have the skill to recognize the difference between right and wrong.

For those who have accepted Christ--get to know Him...

Isaiah 26:10
Your kindness to the wicked does not make them do good. Although others do right, the wicked keep doing wrong and take no notice of the Lord’s majesty.

Upvote 0

savedandhappy1

Senior Veteran
Oct 27, 2006
Kansas
✟18,944.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have seen it stated many time how Paul continue have understood homosexual monogomous love, and so he must have been speaking only of hetrosexuals doing homosexual acts or ....................................

So I find it really contradictory and almost funny, if it wasn't a serious matter, that Boswell would say stuff like:

Gay marriages were also legal and frequent in Rome for both males and females. Even emperors often married other males. There was total acceptance on the part of the populace, as far as it can be determined, of this sort of homosexual attitude and behavior. This total acceptance was not limited to the ruling elite; there is also much popular Roman literature containing gay love stories. The real point I want to make is that there is absolutely no conscious effort on anyone's part in the Roman world, the world in which Christianity was born, to claim that homosexuality was abnormal or undesirable.

So if the if the above statement is true, then Paul would have know about marriages/unions, etc.

Boswell also says in the very same article:

"Homosexuality," Plato wrote, "is regarded as shameful by barbarians and by those who live under despotic governments just as philosophy is regarded as shameful by them, because it is apparently not in the interest of such rulers to have great ideas engendered in their subjects, or powerful friendships or passionate love-all of which homosexuality is particularly apt to produce." This attitude of Plato's was characteristic of the ancient world, and I want to begin my discussion of the attitudes of the Church and of Western Christianity toward homosexuality by commenting on comparable attitudes among the ancients.

Excerpts from the keynote address made by Prof. Boswell to the Fourth Biennial Dignity International Convention in 1979.

Am I the only one who finds it confusing for an author to say how Plato's attitude was characteristic of the ancient world, and then also say that homosexual marriages were legal and frequent in Rome. So which is it? Was it normal/natural or was it regarded as shameful even among the barbarians?

I have read many a article discrediting Boswell's finding, but frankly I think he discredits himself when he put contradictory statements in the same study. IMHO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have seen it stated many time how Paul continue have understood homosexual monogomous love, and so he must have been speaking only of hetrosexuals doing homosexual acts or ....................................

So I find it really contradictory and almost funny, if it wasn't a serious matter, that Boswell would say stuff like:

Gay marriages were also legal and frequent in Rome for both males and females. Even emperors often married other males. There was total acceptance on the part of the populace, as far as it can be determined, of this sort of homosexual attitude and behavior. This total acceptance was not limited to the ruling elite; there is also much popular Roman literature containing gay love stories. The real point I want to make is that there is absolutely no conscious effort on anyone's part in the Roman world, the world in which Christianity was born, to claim that homosexuality was abnormal or undesirable.

So if the if the above statement is true, then Paul would have know about marriages/unions, etc.

Boswell also says in the very same article:

"Homosexuality," Plato wrote, "is regarded as shameful by barbarians and by those who live under despotic governments just as philosophy is regarded as shameful by them, because it is apparently not in the interest of such rulers to have great ideas engendered in their subjects, or powerful friendships or passionate love-all of which homosexuality is particularly apt to produce." This attitude of Plato's was characteristic of the ancient world, and I want to begin my discussion of the attitudes of the Church and of Western Christianity toward homosexuality by commenting on comparable attitudes among the ancients.

Excerpts from the keynote address made by Prof. Boswell to the Fourth Biennial Dignity International Convention in 1979.

Am I the only one who finds it confusing for an author to say how Plato's attitude was characteristic of the ancient world, and then also say that homosexual marriages were legal and frequent in Rome. So which is it? Was it normal/natural or was it regarded as shameful even among the barbarians?

I have read many a article discrediting Boswell's finding, but frankly I think he discredits himself when he put contradictory statements in the same study. IMHO.

I am not going to try to rehabilitate Boswell in one short post, especially since many of the criticisms against him do seem to have merit. However I need to point out to you that you misread his paraphrase of Plato.

I don't recognize the passage so I don't know just how free his paraphrase is. But since you seem to be prepared to accept the passage at face value, I need not be more particular. I an only going to comment on your misinterpretation of the passage as quoted in your post.

You added an "even" in the first clause changing the meaning entirely.

As you quoted the passage, Plato was claimed to have said: "Homosexuality is regarded as shameful by barbarians and by those who live under despotic governments." This simply states what barbarians and despots believe.

But as you stated it in your commentary, it was "regarded as shameful even among the barbarians*." This implies that Plato and his society believe this, and that the other two types of society (which are so different and have very few beliefs in common) agree.

That this is not what Plato was saying (at least according to Boswell's paraphrase) since in addition to homosexuality, these same barbarians and despots also thought philosophy was shameful. Plato, a philosopher, and the Greeks in general, did not dispise philosophy.

As the paraphrase continues, Boswell has Plato saying that philosophy and homosexuality are dispised by despots because they don't want to encourage either Great Ideas, or Powerful Friendships.

There is nothing in the paraphrase you quoted to contradict Boswells other statement, as you imply.

Having said that, I suspect that Boswell was a bit free with his paraphrase, and that what Plato actually said was not as conveniently phrased to highlight Boswell's point.

*In Plato's time, "barbarians" simply meant foreigners, people who did not speak the same language or share the same intrinsic culture. Just as the Jews would have called the Greeks "gentiles," the Greeks would have called the Jews "barbarians."

Upvote 0

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did we ever determine WHY homosexuality is seen to be wrong?

Why is it considered ESSENTIAL that a sexual experience be enjoyed only between two of the opposite gender as opposed to two of the same gender? I mean, this is not procreational sex but recreational sex so why the big deal ...?

Upvote 0

radlad72

Apr 14, 2008
✟7,740.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I will just put one thing: It is neither Biblically nor naturally normal. Nothing should be about 'me' as it were. Sexual experience should have been for man and woman which is the way we were created. You know the old saying "God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve". Thus sexually pleasurable experiences should be limited to the marriage bedchamber of married couples of the opposite gender.

I also agree with a previous poster about the fact that we shouldn't be putting things into areas that were designed to expel waste products.

Rad

Upvote 0

jamielindas

When given the option, choose love and compassion
Jan 30, 2008
✟16,274.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Is there a basis for this kind of morality?
Is morality about compassion for the individual and protection from pain and suffering....
or
Is it about interpreting the text in a book you believe to be divinely inspired?

Upvote 0

jamielindas

When given the option, choose love and compassion
Jan 30, 2008
✟16,274.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
what do you mean by naturally normal? It occurs regularly in nature, though never in the majority. Almost all social animals have some fraction of their society that participate in same sex acts (both sexual and relationship/bonding acts)

Upvote 0