Visit site
✟15,487.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I thought this was interesting enough to post here. I by no means understand string theory, but the premice of the article was intriguing

============================================

String Theory

Four biblical texts support string theory’s parallel dimensions

String theory is a theory of everything, which picks up where Einstein left off, and seeks to reconcile the two conflicting theories of physics. String theory offers an elegant mathematical model which seeks to describe and predict all matter and energy, but there’s a catch—the math suggests 11 parallel dimensions. That is 7 dimensions in addition to the 4 observable dimensions we’re familiar with. Just a few years ago this would have been considered crackpot science or science fiction. Today, it’s cutting edge, and the race is on to demonstrate and confirm the mathematics.

As strange as it sounds, string theorists may be offering support for some of the more puzzling events of the bible. Not only does the bible support string theory, it supports it from several different perspectives and at least four separate biblical references

for full article see here:
http://www.2ndcheek.com/stringtheory1.htm

funyun

aude sapere...sed praeterea, aude esse
Feb 14, 2004
Visit site
✟4,544.00
Faith
Atheist
1) String theory is not the "latest" scientific theory. It has been around, in one form or another, for quite a while.

2) It is purely theoretical at this point, and there is no experimental or observable evidence for it as of yet.

3) There is nothing "parallel" (or "alternate") about these proposed dimensions. In fact, quite the opposite. This, along with the use of the word "membrane" in a completely arbitrary fashion (and, seemingly, as some term interchangeable with "dimension") gives me the impression that the author doesn't have any idea what he's talking about when he refers to extra dimensions.

4) The Biblical accounts of people "teleporting", more or less, are so vague that anything could be the answer. You could say that they were taken by wormholes without ever getting near string theory. In fact, the continued usage of the word "whirlwind" suggests this more concretely than a hyper-dimensional solution.

I'm no expert on string theory, but it doesn't take one to see that this guy isn't either, and that he's trying to form an argument based on soemthing which he isn't at all familiar with.

Upvote 0

michabo

reason, evidence
Nov 11, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
✟14,055.00
Faith
Atheist
Gimme a break. Now all of the magical fairy stories in the bible are suddenly evidence for multidimensions?

The argument is absurd, relying on a Spiderman cartoon version of dimensions rather than the scientific definition. A dimension isn't like a room that you can leap in or out of, so the comments about people being "translated" to this earth has no relevance to string theory. It is just another magical miracle, not a sign of string theory.

Just once I'd like a discovery to have been inspired by a clear and unambiguous passage from the bible instead of what has happened throughout history: first christians deny the science using the bible as a weapon, and the next generation of christians then claims that the bible provided evidence for the theory all along. Ad hoc reasoning at its finest.

Upvote 0

OneLastBreath

Jun 13, 2004
✟7,803.00
Faith
Christian
I have to agree...Glenn316, that article expresses very poor knowledge in the basics of string theory.

michabo, all I can say is that kind of position shifting is largely due to a changing Christian attitude toward science. You have reason to be annoyed...often people who know very little about science trying to prove the existence of God do more damage than good due to them not having a clue what they're talking about. In this case, I don't blame Glenn, I blame whoever wrote that terrible article. I pray that amid the chaos of the swarm of "scientific" rubbish put forth by well meaning Christians, you'll be able to distinguish valid points made by Christians who actually know what they're talking about.

Upvote 0

quantumspirit

evangelical humanist
Jul 21, 2004
Minnesota
✟1,798.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We shouldn't be so quick to jump him. It may be a pontification that turns out to be wrong, but that is how many scientific theorems start out, as brainstorm ideas that get rejected, modified, rehashed, then accepted in final form. Personally I have some problems with Glenn316's arguments and the website he hyperlinked to, but I would have to read more on post-Einstein physics to make suggestions of my own.

Upvote 0

EchelonForm

Nov 16, 2004
Rhode Island
Visit site
✟15,889.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not a real big fan of string theory for a lot reasons I don't want to explain but multi dimensional physics could shed light on a lot of biblical questions like wheres heaven and stuff like that, which basically is not very important in the grand scape of our Christian walks, but it is important to show that biblical beleifs fit into scientific facts and laws, which string theory is niether...so, yeah.

Upvote 0

funyun

aude sapere...sed praeterea, aude esse
Feb 14, 2004
Visit site
✟4,544.00
Faith
Atheist
EchelonForm said:
but it is important to show that biblical beleifs fit into scientific facts and laws

As long as you don't completely and purposefully twist the facts to support Biblical beliefs, which is exactly what the OP's link does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums