• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Best fasting method for diabetes and high blood sugar

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟301,973.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've been pre diabetic for most of my life then at the start of this year, I started doing intermittent fasting and combining it with short but high intensity exercise sessions.

It has very hard at first but soon my body adapted. I think my insulin levels did not change much. My body simply got better at metabolizing fat.

I think now my body just converts the food I eat into fat without turning it into blood sugar (glucose) anymore. I can literally smell it. The smell of ketones even on high carb diet. Normal, healthy people don't usually get ketones in their blood in significant amounts unless on ketogenic diet or after a period of fasting.

I did started feeling better and stronger than I ever did when my body has switched to full ketone energy mode. The headaches that have weighed down on me for many many years and practically sabotaged my career and my life have gone.

Before it would have been inconceivably dangerous for me to fast even for only few days but now, it's safely possible for me.

Lately, I've been combining intermittent fasting with reduced # of meals a day to only two meals a day with one light snack in between. Greatly improving my quality of sleep.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was eating only 2 meals/day from 2019-2021 to lose weight & am normal weight now.
In May, my husband/teen were out of town for a weekend. I let dog out & came inside for few min but passed out (all day) . People noticed dog out & someone called my husband who sent a relative to check on me. They called ambulance. I was in hospital 5 days. Turns out I'm diabetic & my blood sugar was 600!
I have to take insulin now.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,935.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was eating only 2 meals/day from 2019-2021 to lose weight & am normal weight now.
In May, my husband/teen were out of town for a weekend. I let dog out & came inside for few min but passed out (all day) . People noticed dog out & someone called my husband who sent a relative to check on me. They called ambulance. I was in hospital 5 days. Turns out I'm diabetic & my blood sugar was 600!
I have to take insulin now.
You may want to examine the carnivore diet. It keeps sugar and insulin low by definition.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may want to examine the carnivore diet. It keeps sugar and insulin low by definition.
I couldn't do that diet cause I'm not a meat eater. We stopped eating meat (beef) years ago when husband's cholesterol went up (as a way to lower it). We don't eat steaks & I NEVER buy ground meat. I don't like chicken much, either.
I do eat eggs & cheese.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,935.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I couldn't do that diet cause I'm not a meat eater. We stopped eating meat (beef) years ago when husband's cholesterol went up (as a way to lower it). We don't eat steaks & I NEVER buy ground meat. I don't like chicken much, either.
I do eat eggs & cheese.
Its your decision, but if you have serious health problems from your diet now, you did not have before, it may be worth changing. Eating too much carbohydrates/sugar and/or toxin-high plants and plant/seed oils may cause all kinds of serious problems- joint paints, type 2 diabetes, obesity, CVD, cancer etc.

According to the current evidence, total cholesterol does not cause heart disease.

Or, if you rather read, here is a study from American Journal of Cardiology on saturated fats:

"The recommendation to limit dietary saturated fatty acid (SFA) intake has persisted despite mounting evidence to the contrary. Most recent meta-analyses of randomized trials and observational studies found no beneficial effects of reducing SFA intake on cardiovascular disease (CVD) and total mortality, and instead found protective effects against stroke."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its your decision, but if you have serious health problems from your diet now, you did not have before, it may be worth changing.
I didn't get diabetes from my diet. It's hereditary; my Dr even said so. Both parents & 3 siblings have it & my one sister had said "you're going to get it, also.
If anything, I don't eat enough cause my blood sugar keeps going down to 75 or 68.
I don't like cake, cookies, etc and am not a baker. I don't even want cake for my b'day. We are not dessert people at all. We don't buy desserts or make desserts.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,935.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't get diabetes from my diet. It's hereditary; my Dr even said so. Both parents & 3 siblings have it & my one sister had said "you're going to get it, also.
If anything, I don't eat enough cause my blood sugar keeps going down to 75 or 68.
I don't like cake, cookies, etc and am not a baker. I don't even want cake for my b'day. We are not dessert people at all. We don't buy desserts or make desserts.
And you are otherwise healthy, slim and physically active, eating proper human diet? Having higher risk in your family does not mean the other things from lifestyle are not needed for the development of it. It may be similar like with obesity - its frequent that obese parents have obese children, its not genetic, but bad habit patterns are repeated by various members of a family.

Last edited:
Upvote 0