• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Being Manic sucks.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟931,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Being Manic depressive sucks. I can handle my schizophrenic side but being manic just sucks. I hate the spending sprees, I hate the being up for weeks at a time and being unable to sleep, I hate just about every part of my manic side.

When I'm schizophrenic I'm just basically insane. I hear voices, I'm paranoid and delusional, I'll believe I'm God, I get delusional thinking and I can do anything stuff along those lines. My wife and I can handle that. What we can't handle is mania. Mania is very scary because I can sometimes get suicidal and homicidal thouguts I even get violent and hit people. If I was just schizophrenic I'd be harmless crazy but when I have a super big manic episode I get violent crazy. Especially when I hadn't been taking my meds for like three years. THAT was a big episode.

Anyone else really hate being manic or can relate?

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I cannot relate to the degree you experience on that, but I've experienced enough of it - and seen it in others - to know how horrible and miserable it can be. I don't have much to say other than virtual hugs and that I sympathize. I'm glad you have God, your wife and support in your life - that can make a huge difference.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟931,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I cannot relate to the degree you experience on that, but I've experienced enough of it - and seen it in others - to know how horrible and miserable it can be. I don't have much to say other than virtual hugs and that I sympathize. I'm glad you have God, your wife and support in your life - that can make a huge difference.

So you get manic too sometimes? Who in your life is Bipolar? I'm curious if you want to share. Bipolar is a common condition in this world so I figured that enough people could relate to me. I mean I just mostly hate that I have to sleep many hours of the day or I'll get manic. And when I am manic I'm uncontrollable. Meds help but they obviously don't cure everything. I wish they did. I'm glad I have God too. But so many bipolar and schizophrenic people have to deal with it on their own.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So you get manic too sometimes? Who in your life is Bipolar? I'm curious if you want to share. Bipolar is a common condition in this world so I figured that enough people could relate to me. I mean I just mostly hate that I have to sleep many hours of the day or I'll get manic. And when I am manic I'm uncontrollable. Meds help but they obviously don't cure everything. I wish they did. I'm glad I have God too. But so many bipolar and schizophrenic people have to deal with it on their own.

I don't have the Bipolar side as much as you personally have to struggle with. I am mainly in remission from Schizoaffective Major Depressive Form. The Major Depressive type is usually less bipolar and more on the mood disorder or schizophrenia side. I was only borderline manic. Still, I experienced enough to know a little of what you are going through. Mood crashes, hyperactivity, waves, fast talking, trouble sleeping -- but I didn't have full bipolar, so I did not have all the difficulties with it. My mother's friend was bipolar and had the weeks where she could not get out of bed, or the rapid shopping and spending habits when she was on a high from it. It's a very difficult illness.

I don't know that I get manic with energy still - I have a neurological thing that makes me pretty hyper when I'm daydreaming, basically the stimming from autism without being autistic. Weird I know, but it started when I was 3, and my son inherited it from me at 3, and my brother developed it in his teens. It's not the same thing as bipolar but I think the energy burst is similar for short periods, if this makes sense?

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Being Manic depressive sucks. I can handle my schizophrenic side but being manic just sucks. I hate the spending sprees, I hate the being up for weeks at a time and being unable to sleep, I hate just about every part of my manic side.

When I'm schizophrenic I'm just basically insane. I hear voices, I'm paranoid and delusional, I'll believe I'm God, I get delusional thinking and I can do anything stuff along those lines. My wife and I can handle that. What we can't handle is mania. Mania is very scary because I can sometimes get suicidal and homicidal thouguts I even get violent and hit people. If I was just schizophrenic I'd be harmless crazy but when I have a super big manic episode I get violent crazy. Especially when I hadn't been taking my meds for like three years. THAT was a big episode.

A friend of mine has a brother that is manic. In his case, the episodes always follow the same progression beginning with gradual anxiety and ending with profound depression. This cycle lasts for weeks at a time and occurs once every year or two.
Doctors have found a correlation with swelling in his brain.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can to an extent. I have bipolar (type 2) and panic disorder. I only get hypomania, not the full mania. But given how truly crummy it makes me feel I can only imagine how much worse fully intense mania is. Had about 3 hours sleep in as many days, done all the Christmas shopping, house chores and now feel really bad with pain because I couldn’t stop myself overdoing it :(

At the time I often feel like ‘hypomania is so useful because I’m so productive and I can do everything’ then afterwards I realise that I did lots. It’s just not productive things.

The depression side is easier. I can do things to get me through that. Even the panic disorder is easier because I have lots of ways to cope with the little panic, and meds for when it hits PANIC. But what can you do with mania or hypomania but ride it out.

I think for me the worst part is people encouraging me when I’m hypomania because I’m fun. I’m great fun to be around, ‘hey boo’s finished nursery for the day let’s road trip to the city shopping’, and summer can be IMPROMPTU BEACH DAY and things. And people love it. They don’t see the consequences or have to pick up the mess after. And I only have hypomania so I’m able to limit the most extreme which I’m grateful for. I can always put my son focus and ground myself with him. And then go wild buying him gifts. Which in hypomania state is ‘better than running off to Disney with him’. And back on planet Earth actually I shouldn’t have done either.

I have lots of coping mechanisms these days but they’ve been years in the making, and I still always need to adapt. But the little things did make life so much easier. Like hypomania shopping, I only take cash. Having as much as a routine as possible. I remember thinking at the beginning that ‘having a routine won’t change anything’ but I’m so glad I did it anyway. It helps the panic too. I’m good with familiar.

Sleep is the worst. Lack of sleep causes hypomania which stops me sleeping which makes it worse etcetc until CRASH. Thankfully I’m in a position where I can often grab a mornings sleep while my son is at nursery to ‘balance the books’ for my sleep. I do get a lot of people judging though. Very sarcastic and comments like ‘isn’t it nice to be able to sleep all morning’ and I get quite sensitive over it. Inside I feel like screaming ‘NO IT ISNT NICE. I FEEL AWFUL AND I DONT WANT TO SLEEP BUT IF I DONT I KNOW IT’S GOING TO BE MORE AWFUL AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I HSTE MYSELF RIGHT NOW’. But I just get sad instead.

Sorry for the waffle. I’m in one of those brain exploding moments where I’m sure I’m making more sense and more coherent sentences than I actually am. My thoughts are a bit like a map of the London Underground right now. (That reference may not make sense but they’re going off in all directions in a maze basically)

In a nutshell, hypomania sucks and I can’t imagine how much more mania sucks and I’m very sorry I went on and on.

• Informative
Reactions: messianist
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,203,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

HELP FOR SCHIZOPHRENIA - PRAY UNTIL SCHIZOPHRENIA HEALS - SCHIZOPHRENIA DEFEATED!

Being Healed of Schizophrenia...My Testimony

https://www.born-again-christian.info/schizophrenia.htm

My encouragement to you is to resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Get in the Word of God and read it and apply to your life. Follow Jesus and pray for deliverance and He will heal you.

• Friendly
Reactions: PrarieRose91
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,203,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Word of faith?

I am strongly against the Word of Faith movement. If one of those links is of the Word of Faith movement, I would be happy to remove it. Please let me know. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟931,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don't have the Bipolar side as much as you personally have to struggle with. I am mainly in remission from Schizoaffective Major Depressive Form. The Major Depressive type is usually less bipolar and more on the mood disorder or schizophrenia side. I was only borderline manic. Still, I experienced enough to know a little of what you are going through. Mood crashes, hyperactivity, waves, fast talking, trouble sleeping -- but I didn't have full bipolar, so I did not have all the difficulties with it. My mother's friend was bipolar and had the weeks where she could not get out of bed, or the rapid shopping and spending habits when she was on a high from it. It's a very difficult illness.

I don't know that I get manic with energy still - I have a neurological thing that makes me pretty hyper when I'm daydreaming, basically the stimming from autism without being autistic. Weird I know, but it started when I was 3, and my son inherited it from me at 3, and my brother developed it in his teens. It's not the same thing as bipolar but I think the energy burst is similar for short periods, if this makes sense?

Oh I didn't know that schizo-affective people can not have mania. But then again I only know a few other people that are schizo-affective. They get manic pretty frequently this one woman I know gets manic more often than I do but she never gets violent. Go figure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟931,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I can to an extent. I have bipolar (type 2) and panic disorder. I only get hypomania, not the full mania. But given how truly crummy it makes me feel I can only imagine how much worse fully intense mania is. Had about 3 hours sleep in as many days, done all the Christmas shopping, house chores and now feel really bad with pain because I couldn’t stop myself overdoing it :(

At the time I often feel like ‘hypomania is so useful because I’m so productive and I can do everything’ then afterwards I realise that I did lots. It’s just not productive things.

The depression side is easier. I can do things to get me through that. Even the panic disorder is easier because I have lots of ways to cope with the little panic, and meds for when it hits PANIC. But what can you do with mania or hypomania but ride it out.

I think for me the worst part is people encouraging me when I’m hypomania because I’m fun. I’m great fun to be around, ‘hey boo’s finished nursery for the day let’s road trip to the city shopping’, and summer can be IMPROMPTU BEACH DAY and things. And people love it. They don’t see the consequences or have to pick up the mess after. And I only have hypomania so I’m able to limit the most extreme which I’m grateful for. I can always put my son focus and ground myself with him. And then go wild buying him gifts. Which in hypomania state is ‘better than running off to Disney with him’. And back on planet Earth actually I shouldn’t have done either.

I have lots of coping mechanisms these days but they’ve been years in the making, and I still always need to adapt. But the little things did make life so much easier. Like hypomania shopping, I only take cash. Having as much as a routine as possible. I remember thinking at the beginning that ‘having a routine won’t change anything’ but I’m so glad I did it anyway. It helps the panic too. I’m good with familiar.

Sleep is the worst. Lack of sleep causes hypomania which stops me sleeping which makes it worse etcetc until CRASH. Thankfully I’m in a position where I can often grab a mornings sleep while my son is at nursery to ‘balance the books’ for my sleep. I do get a lot of people judging though. Very sarcastic and comments like ‘isn’t it nice to be able to sleep all morning’ and I get quite sensitive over it. Inside I feel like screaming ‘NO IT ISNT NICE. I FEEL AWFUL AND I DONT WANT TO SLEEP BUT IF I DONT I KNOW IT’S GOING TO BE MORE AWFUL AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I HSTE MYSELF RIGHT NOW’. But I just get sad instead.

Sorry for the waffle. I’m in one of those brain exploding moments where I’m sure I’m making more sense and more coherent sentences than I actually am. My thoughts are a bit like a map of the London Underground right now. (That reference may not make sense but they’re going off in all directions in a maze basically)

In a nutshell, hypomania sucks and I can’t imagine how much more mania sucks and I’m very sorry I went on and on.

What is hypomania? Im not familiar with it.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh I didn't know that schizo-affective people can not have mania. But then again I only know a few other people that are schizo-affective. They get manic pretty frequently this one woman I know gets manic more often than I do but she never gets violent. Go figure.

There are two forms. Mine was Schizoaffective Major Depressive Type. I am not sure how much I had of the Mania, but believe it was more on the borderline side. Honestly when you mix a bunch of stuff together it's kind of hard to separate each "disorder" from the other, if you know what I mean? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minrice

Sep 20, 2016
Florida
✟8,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have Schizoaffective Bipolar and I have what are called Mixed Episodes or as I call them "agitated despair." You get depressed but you also feel really agitated and restless. I also get very paranoid and delusional easily but that has gotten some better with all the medicine that I am on.

• Prayers
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is hypomania? Im not familiar with it.

I suppose the best way to describe it is ‘mild’ mania. The way I tend to explain to my friends is that it’s like mania but with a ‘safety’ setting that keeps the dial at 75%. If that makes sense.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟931,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I suppose the best way to describe it is ‘mild’ mania. The way I tend to explain to my friends is that it’s like mania but with a ‘safety’ setting that keeps the dial at 75%. If that makes sense.

So you just get all of the good parts of mania like extra energy and stuff? I could handle that. What I don't get about mania is you have to sleep regularly to prevent it yet once it happens you can't sleep for like weeks at a time which only makes your mania worse and worse. It doesn't make any sense. During my last manic episode I could barely sleep for almost 3 months. It was my longest episode ever. Needless to say I got to enjoy most of Spring this year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟931,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have Schizoaffective Bipolar and I have what are called Mixed Episodes or as I call them "agitated despair." You get depressed but you also feel really agitated and restless. I also get very paranoid and delusional easily but that has gotten some better with all the medicine that I am on.

I'm Schizoaffective too. So many schizo-affective people here on CF! I get most of what you get but my psychiatrist doesn't want to mess around with my meds too much. Especially when I haven't been in the hospital for 3 years almost now. And the only reason I was hospitalized the last time was because I wasn't on meds at all. I stopped taking my meds for a few years and I ended up having a really big episode because of it.

Anyway... Yeah she thinks it would be too dangerous to mess with my meds when my meds are like 60% working right now. My Saphris and Rexulti I are doing a good job so there's no point in risking anything when they're mostly working.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟931,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There are two forms. I am not sure how much I had but believe it was more on the borderline side. Honestly when you mix a bunch of stuff together it's kind of hard to separate each "disorder" from the other, if you know what I mean? :)

Yeah now that you mention it I think the hospital asked my wife when I was hospitalized 3 years ago what schizo-affective type I was. Idk I was pretty far out of it that time to really know what was going on. So do you end up getting violent with your type or are you just "normal" when episodes happen?

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
have a friend who's bipolar but she stays on her meds
she still gets a depressive episode once/ yr but hasn't said that she still gets mania

she takes lithium and is allowed to work part-time even though she's on disability
she's also in a support group

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟931,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
have a friend who's bipolar but she stays on her meds
she still gets a depressive episode once/ yr but hasn't said that she still gets mania

she takes lithium and is allowed to work part-time even though she's on disability
she's also in a support group

Its different for each person I guess. I guess there are schizophrenic/bipolar people who get completely off the wall and there are ones that only go off the wall sometimes. I'm lucky enough that I only go off the wall sometimes.

My friends brother is schizophrenic and he has to permanently be in a mental hospital because he's a danger to himself and others even while on meds. So... Yeah... I'm glad that's not me. I like being free to do whatever I want most of the time. So I'm at least that lucky.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So do you end up getting violent with your type or are you just "normal" when episodes happen?

I've been in remission for years so no longer get episodes. When I did, I wouldn't get violent toward others. I was only a danger to myself.

Reactions: St. Helens
Upvote 0