South Africa
✟285,434.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Well, yes, you do. But it is no big deal to sign up. You don't have to give any personal information until you decide to buy or rent content. By the way, renting is fairly good deal if you don't intend to have the movie forever. After you start watching a rental movie, you have access to it for 48 hours. During that time you can watch it as many times as you want. Some movies I first watched by renting it, and then if I really liked it, I might actually go back and buy it. The SD (Standard Definition) is plenty good enough for movies like this, so I never pay the premium for the HD (High Definition) version.

I doubt it. But I have no way of knowing. The link with Japan Airlines was only the impetus to start work on the film. They never actually got any money from the airlines and there is no on-going relationship with them. By the way, Miyazaki put elements of flight in almost all of his films, including (and I don't know why I didn't think of this first) "The Wind Rises" which is based on the true story of the Jiro Horikoshi, the designer of the Japanese fighter aircraft used in WWII, including the A6M Zero. That's another aviation-related film I like. The reason for Miyazaki's interest in flight may be that his father was director of Miyazaki Airplane, a company that made rudders for fighter planes in WWII. You can see fantastical flying machines in other Miyazaki films like Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Howl's Moving Castle.
I'll certainly keep renting movies on YouTube in mind, but I probably won't be buying any movies there. If I want to buy a movie, I prefer to get the DVD if there's one available; that way, I can watch the movie even if the Internet goes down. If you do buy movies on YouTube, I'm assuming that the movie is stored online, not on your computer.

That's really interesting, about Miyazaki putting elements of flight into the majority of his films, and about his father being the director of Miyazaki Airplane! I don't think I've ever watched any Japanese films, possibly because I've been put off by anime/manga stuff.

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟175,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll certainly keep renting movies on YouTube in mind, but I probably won't be buying any movies there. If I want to buy a movie, I prefer to get the DVD if there's one available; that way, I can watch the movie even if the Internet goes down. If you do buy movies on YouTube, I'm assuming that the movie is stored online, not on your computer.
That is correct. You have to have a reliable broadband access to watch - either Cable or Fiber Optic is good. I also own DVD's of some of these movies, and it is more convenient, but also more expensive.

That's really interesting, about Miyazaki putting elements of flight into the majority of his films, and about his father being the director of Miyazaki Airplane! I don't think I've ever watched any Japanese films, possibly because I've been put off by anime/manga stuff.
Well, Studio Ghibli is technically anime, but it is nothing like the trashy mass-produced series that most people associate with anime. That reminds me, make sure to get the English dub rather than the Japanese with subtitles. Studio Ghibli for a long time resisted selling the rights to any company to make dubs, until Miyazaki struck up a friendship with John Lasseter, then head of Disney Animation. Lasseter promise and delivered a faithful and high-quality dub, which top-notch voice actors. So the dubs are very good.

Upvote 0

Aquila Super Tomcat

⚡ Soaring Free ⚡
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2022
South Africa
✟285,434.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
That is correct. You have to have a reliable broadband access to watch - either Cable or Fiber Optic is good. I also own DVD's of some of these movies, and it is more convenient, but also more expensive.

Well, Studio Ghibli is technically anime, but it is nothing like the trashy mass-produced series that most people associate with anime. That reminds me, make sure to get the English dub rather than the Japanese with subtitles. Studio Ghibli for a long time resisted selling the rights to any company to make dubs, until Miyazaki struck up a friendship with John Lasseter, then head of Disney Animation. Lasseter promise and delivered a faithful and high-quality dub, which top-notch voice actors. So the dubs are very good.
I do have a good broadband connection, so I'd likely be fine watching movies online. I certainly don't have any problems watching regular YouTube videos.

As well as the mass-produced series you mentioned, I also find various things in anime too bizarre for my liking, for example gjinkas (e.g. people with vehicle parts, similar to an anthro). I would probably enjoy Porco Rosso, and various other movies from Studio Ghibli though. If I do watch any of Studio Ghibli's movies, I'll definitely make sure to get the English dubs. Why did Studio Ghibli resist selling rights to make dubs of their films?

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟175,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why did Studio Ghibli resist selling rights to make dubs of their films?
All the previous offers to make dubs came with the condition that the film could be cut as needed and otherwise make artistic changes to the film that Studio Ghibli felt would compromise the artistic integrity of their work, which they valued very highly. Keep in mind that one of their movies, "Spirited Away" won the 2003 Academy Award for best animated feature - the only time a non-English language hand-drawn film has won that award. For 19 years it held the record as the highest grossing film in Japanese history. With a legacy like that, it is understandable that Ghibli would be careful about who they let make dubs of their films. Only when John Lasseter promised them that nothing would be cut and that the translation would be faithful to the original did they finally relent.

Upvote 0

Aquila Super Tomcat

⚡ Soaring Free ⚡
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2022
South Africa
✟285,434.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
All the previous offers to make dubs came with the condition that the film could be cut as needed and otherwise make artistic changes to the film that Studio Ghibli felt would compromise the artistic integrity of their work, which they valued very highly. Keep in mind that one of their movies, "Spirited Away" won the 2003 Academy Award for best animated feature - the only time a non-English language hand-drawn film has won that award. For 19 years it held the record as the highest grossing film in Japanese history. With a legacy like that, it is understandable that Ghibli would be careful about who they let make dubs of their films. Only when John Lasseter promised them that nothing would be cut and that the translation would be faithful to the original did they finally relent.
I don't blame Studio Ghibli at all for not allowing dubs when the other studios wanted to cut the films and make artistic changes to them! If anything, I think those other studios were over the line in having such a condition when offering to make dubs. I hadn't heard of Spirited Away before, so I looked it up; while it looks really good, the Shintoism/spiritualist elements make me uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

-=H=-

Dec 7, 2020
Middle of Nowhere
✟28,947.00
Country
Monaco
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
What aircraft/aviation-related movies does everyone enjoy? Here are some that I enjoy:

Top Gun (especially the intro, and the flying and dogfighting scenes with the F-14 Tomcats, and the tower-buzzing scene)
Firefox
Turbulence
Airport
(the original film)

Top Gun
Airplane (but a little rude)
Airplane II (also a little rude)
Iron Eagle
Airwolf
Firefox
Flight of the Intruder
The Final Countdown
Independence Day ID4
Flyers (IMAX)
To Fly (IMAX)
Memphis Belle
Air Force One
Space Camp (has space shuttle)
The Right Stuff
Paper Planes

There's also a few movies where Art Scholl was in based out of Rosamond Skypark, should be findable on the internet plane movie database

There was also a movie in the 1970's about radio controlled planes which is a fun little movie

Upvote 0

Aquila Super Tomcat

⚡ Soaring Free ⚡
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2022
South Africa
✟285,434.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Top Gun
Airplane (but a little rude)
Airplane II (also a little rude)
Iron Eagle
Airwolf
Firefox
Flight of the Intruder
The Final Countdown
Independence Day ID4
Flyers (IMAX)
To Fly (IMAX)
Memphis Belle
Air Force One
Space Camp (has space shuttle)
The Right Stuff
Paper Planes

There's also a few movies where Art Scholl was in based out of Rosamond Skypark, should be findable on the internet plane movie database

There was also a movie in the 1970's about radio controlled planes which is a fun little movie
As well as Top Gun and Firefox, of the movies you've listed, I've seen (and enjoyed) Air Force One, Space Camp, and Airplane II. I've seen the parts of The Final Countdown with the F-14 Tomcats - including the Tomcats versus Zeros dogfight - on YouTube, but I haven't seen the whole movie. I've seen the original Independence Day (I'm assuming that's the one you're referring to), but not the sequel.

One movie that I didn't have on my original list, because I hadn't seen it when I started this thread, but which is now one of my favourite movies, is Top Gun: Maverick. The flying scenes are absolutely mind-blowing!

Upvote 0

-=H=-

Dec 7, 2020
Middle of Nowhere
✟28,947.00
Country
Monaco
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
As well as Top Gun and Firefox, of the movies you've listed, I've seen (and enjoyed) Air Force One, Space Camp, and Airplane II. I've seen the parts of The Final Countdown with the F-14 Tomcats - including the Tomcats versus Zeros dogfight - on YouTube, but I haven't seen the whole movie. I've seen the original Independence Day (I'm assuming that's the one you're referring to), but not the sequel.

One movie that I didn't have on my original list, because I hadn't seen it when I started this thread, but which is now one of my favourite movies, is Top Gun: Maverick. The flying scenes are absolutely mind-blowing!

Yeah I've been having a hard time falling in love with Top Gun: Maverick. On it's own it's not bad but doesn't have the heart and passion of the original. Fun fact, I actually worked with Whip Hubley aka Hollywood on the 1990's series of Flipper where he played Deputy Tom Hampton, a deputy and helicopter pilot at search and rescue.

There's some good helicopter flying in that TV series by Jeff McTaggert (who owned the helo)

Also in the Greatest American Hero TV series, season 2 episode 10 there's some good aviation stuff in that episode (I just watched it last night), and you'll see the same Piper Tomahawk that was used in Iron Eagle during the snake sequence, where it does a barrel roll. Some great shots of the Tomahawk (it's what I learned to fly with)

Upvote 0

Aquila Super Tomcat

⚡ Soaring Free ⚡
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2022
South Africa
✟285,434.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Yeah I've been having a hard time falling in love with Top Gun: Maverick. On it's own it's not bad but doesn't have the heart and passion of the original. Fun fact, I actually worked with Whip Hubley aka Hollywood on the 1990's series of Flipper where he played Deputy Tom Hampton, a deputy and helicopter pilot at search and rescue.

There's some good helicopter flying in that TV series by Jeff McTaggert (who owned the helo)

Also in the Greatest American Hero TV series, season 2 episode 10 there's some good aviation stuff in that episode (I just watched it last night), and you'll see the same Piper Tomahawk that was used in Iron Eagle during the snake sequence, where it does a barrel roll. Some great shots of the Tomahawk (it's what I learned to fly with)
Hearing your view on Top Gun: Maverick is very interesting! When I first heard about it, I wasn't sure whether I'd enjoy it or not, but when I watched it, I loved it. My favourite part is the part with the F-14 Tomcat, due to me due to me having a serious interest in the F-14.

That's fantastic, that you got to work on the 1990s Flipper series! I think I recall watching that series, but I don't remember the helicopter scenes, unfortunately. If I get to watch the series again, I'll be sure to keep a sharp eye for the helicopter scenes.

I wonder if I'd be able to find Greatest American Hero season 2 episode 10 on YouTube, so that I can see the aviation stuff you mentioned, including the Piper Tomahawk; I don't know if the series is on TV here. I didn't know that you're a pilot! What aircraft have you flown, other than the Piper Tomahawk?

Reactions: -=H=-
Upvote 0

-=H=-

Dec 7, 2020
Middle of Nowhere
✟28,947.00
Country
Monaco
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I wonder if I'd be able to find Greatest American Hero season 2 episode 10 on YouTube, so that I can see the aviation stuff you mentioned, including the Piper Tomahawk; I don't know if the series is on TV here. I didn't know that you're a pilot! What aircraft have you flown, other than the Piper Tomahawk?
I likewise love the F-14 Tomcat. In fact I wanted to become a Tomcat pilot and learned to fly in the Air Force Cadets in Australia. I never knew until a few years ago I could have applied to the US Navy as an Aussie. At the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola I got to sit in both the pilot and RIO seats of the F-14 and I was a perfect fit!!! However now with VR I can fly in MSFS, Prepar3d and DCS in the Tomcat.

The greatest American Hero is available on Amazon Prime at the moment. I was able to access it in Australia and think it's also on the USA site.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟291,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
YouTube and elsewhere. It was made in 1992. It was originally going to short in-flight film for Japan Airlines, but as writing progressed, Hayao Miyazaki changed his mind and decided to make it a full-length feature film and did not sell it Japan Airlines but released it under his own studio's label.

There was a celebration where the original music score writer Joe Haisaishi performed the original scores with clips from the movies in the background, lots of good bi-plane action from the movie here at 2:49

same studio - before there was SteamPunk, there was CeramicPunk in Miyazaki's Nausicaa, a mix of futuristic and retro air designs in that wonderful anime

Upvote 0

Aquila Super Tomcat

⚡ Soaring Free ⚡
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2022
South Africa
✟285,434.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I likewise love the F-14 Tomcat. In fact I wanted to become a Tomcat pilot and learned to fly in the Air Force Cadets in Australia. I never knew until a few years ago I could have applied to the US Navy as an Aussie. At the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola I got to sit in both the pilot and RIO seats of the F-14 and I was a perfect fit!!! However now with VR I can fly in MSFS, Prepar3d and DCS in the Tomcat.

The greatest American Hero is available on Amazon Prime at the moment. I was able to access it in Australia and think it's also on the USA site.
I don't know if you've seen this thread:
Planes, Trains and Automobiles

but I've posted a lot of Tomcat pics on it, and I'll be posting more at some point. Unfortunately, I've never seen an F-14 in real life, but I'd seriously love to; I'm just sorry that the US Navy Tomcats are retired now! I hope I one day get the chance to sit in an F-14's pilot's and RIO's seats like you did. I don't have MSFS, Prepar3d, or DCS, and I don't think my laptop is quite powerful enough to run them, but I do have Top Gun: Maverick on DVD, and I watch F-14 YouTube videos regularly. Whenever I hear Top Gun Anthem or Danger Zone, I think of F-14s.:grinning:

I've never tried looking for TV series on Amazon Prime, only movies, but I think I did see where to look for TV series. I watched The Final Countdown on Amazon Prime recently, and I loved it! I'd previously only watched the Tomcats versus Zeros dogfight on YouTube, on my computer, so seeing it on my big TV was fantastic!:grinning:

Upvote 0

Aquila Super Tomcat

⚡ Soaring Free ⚡
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2022
South Africa
✟285,434.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Although it is a total war ( land, sea, & air), Dunkirk from 2017 has a lot of dogfight situations between Spitfires and ME 109s.

Dunkirk looks really good, from what I've read, but I think it might be a bit violent for me in parts.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟761,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Dunkirk looks really good, from what I've read, but I think it might be a bit violent for me in parts.
In all fairness the movie avoids excessive violence and gore. There are moments of intense violence and terror though. For ex. there is a scene of a ship sunk by aircraft and soldiers & sailors trying to swim fast enough from a burning oil slick. The scene is reasonably brief, no gore but extremely terrifying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aquila Super Tomcat

⚡ Soaring Free ⚡
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2022
South Africa
✟285,434.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
In all fairness the movie avoids excessive violence and gore. There are moments of intense violence and terror though. For ex. there is a scene of a ship sunk by aircraft and soldiers & sailors trying to swim fast enough from a burning oil slick. The scene is reasonably brief, no gore but extremely terrifying.
I would definitely find that scene too frightening for me. I really don't enjoy scenes that have people in danger from fire, due to how frightening I find them.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟404,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
MOD HAT ON
Thread Cleaned 5.png

please stay on topic, just a friendly reminder
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0