timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,010.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That is true, one of the first things we learned about in an economics class. But yeah, money will never become obsolete, until a breakthrough technology comes about. Even communal societies use money. The Star Trek replicators also use energy, and if energy is scarce, then kilowatt-hours will become a currency.

Money only changes form in time. But it's basically just wealth with the highest level of "liquidity".

What may become obsolete someday is how wealth is distributed -- which means more "free money" and more of the nation's wealth going to the poorest of society.

It's going to be vital in the face of widespread automation of the country to cope with widespread displacements of jobs in the near future. (I prefer NOT to use the term "AI" because no real "hard" AI exists yet)

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Money only changes form in time. But it's basically just wealth with the highest level of "liquidity".

What may become obsolete someday is how wealth is distributed -- which means more "free money" and more of the nation's wealth going to the poorest of society.

It's going to be vital in the face of widespread automation of the country to cope with widespread displacements of jobs in the near future. (I prefer NOT to use the term "AI" because no real "hard" AI exists yet)
Yeah, money used to be grains, then salt, then coins, paper, and now digital. If automation becomes a thing, free college to those displaced by automation should be mandatory.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,010.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, money used to be grains, then salt, then coins, paper, and now digital. If automation becomes a thing, free college to those displaced by automation should be mandatory.

Among the least corrupt nations in the world, many of them offer free college or at cheap cost (a small fraction of the cost of college education in the USA).

But if you're thinking of sending those who lost their jobs to the universities to get free science degrees (Engineering, IT, etc).

I'm telling you it's not going to be easy. The learning curve for some people no matter how hard they try to study, do their best is going to be very steep or outright impossible.

Not from a lack of faith but they're just born that way. Not all of us will end up good with numbers. Some meant for other great stuff that may no longer be needed in our planet at least in the near future. But things have a knack for not staying the same. A lot of things can still happen like the end of the civilization.

Not everyone is going to have the IQ for the science/tech courses. That's just reality. They'll just have to contribute other than crunching numbers or algo's in a fully automated society or else give them free money or they'll starve or steal. It's not their fault. It's a test from the Lord if those has been given much will give to those who has none and not just giving them scraps, but giving them decent lives the very least. A quality of life you yourself won't be displeased with.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Among the least corrupt nations in the world, many of them offer free college or at cheap cost (a small fraction of the cost of college education in the USA).

But if you're thinking of sending those who lost their jobs to the universities to get free science degrees (Engineering, IT, etc).

I'm telling you it's not going to be easy. The learning curve for some people no matter how hard they try to study, do their best is going to be very steep or outright impossible.

Not from a lack of faith but they're just born that way. Not all of us will end up good with numbers. Some meant for other great stuff that may no longer be needed in our planet at least in the near future. But things have a knack for not staying the same. A lot of things can still happen like the end of the civilization.

Not everyone is going to have the IQ for the science/tech courses. That's just reality. They'll just have to contribute other than crunching numbers or algo's in a fully automated society or else give them free money or they'll starve or steal. It's not their fault. It's a test from the Lord if those has been given much will give to those who has none and not just giving them scraps, but giving them decent lives the very least. A quality of life you yourself won't be displeased with.
Agreed. Once AI takes over a lot of jobs, we will need to move away from a monetary based society.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,626.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you count the number of bricks in a house and you know the cost of a brick, you know how much financial value those bricks will have if you pull down the house, and if you know the cost of an acre of land, you know how much land the sale of those bricks will get you. The financial value of the bricks and the land is just a number that quantifies the conversion rate of one thing to another, i.e. relates how much of one thing can be converted into some other thing, be it land, bricks, gold, numbers in a bank account, a workman's labour, currency notes, etc.
And how do you take into account the countless variables?

How much are people willing to pay for second hand bricks? Do I pay more for the workers to leave the bricks in a clean condition, or do I pay less and end up with bricks that may still have some mortar on them, thereby potentially ruining their resale value? What if there's another house nearby that does the same thing?> With the increase supply of second hand bricks, I'll have to charge less, right? How do I determine the price of land per acre when different acres have different conditions? One plot of land might have a different soil type that leaves it more suitable for building, they may have different drainage issues, different ease of connection to various utilities like plumbing, sewerage, electricity, internet, gas. How about ease of access? Does it have a paved road leading to it, or just a dirt trail? All of these things will make a big difference in the price of land, and you can't just make a determination about the cost based on the area the land takes up.

And many of these things are completely subjective. There's no objective price for a second hand brick. And for some people, they may be willing to pay more for a gas connection to a block of land, yet for a person who doesn't use gas, the presence of a gas connection could be a turn-off, as it would leave them paying for a utility they don't plan to use.
Energy is analogous (except that, unlike financial value, it is constant and conserved, not subjective). Such numbers have no intrinsic value, they quantify the value of other things.
Except there's nothing subjective about how much energy there is.
Sure. but the subjective value is the extrinsic value.
And does energy have an extrinsic value?

Do people say, "Yeah, it's 20 kilowatts of electricity produced by coal, but I was really hoping for 20 kilowatts of solar."
We seem to be using different understandings of intrinsic value. The subjective value something has in a particular situation is its extrinsic value. The intrinsic value is the objective value that that thing has in itself, or in its own right, i.e. its fundamental properties that can be objectively measured, things that are not dependent on market demand, user preference or sentiment.

For the Porsche that would presumably inhere in the amount and quality of the materials it is made of, the workmanship, the construction, functionality, its performance, economy, etc. For the glass of water, likewise, the quantity and quality of the glass, the design & functionality, the amount and suitability of the water for drinking, and so-on. There are some philosophical issues about precisely what constitutes intrinsic value (e.g. distilled water is not great drinking water, so does the intended purpose count?), but it's the principle that matters.

Yes, energy quantifies an intrinsic property equivalence. Rearranging the molecular binding of a certain amount oxygen and the hydrocarbons of petrol produces a predictable amount of high-frequency photons and fast-moving molecules, that produce vibrating & colliding atoms in nearby material (heat), and a local increase in the amount and velocity of gas molecules (pressure). This conversion is quantified using an indirectly observed abstract conserved property called energy.

Molecular binding energy, light energy, thermal energy, kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, etc., are the names we give to the values of certain properties (states or contexts) of stuff, using a common unit that we use to quantify the conversion between those properties.
I think we are losing track of my initial point.

Back in post 13, you claimed that energy has no intrinsic value. And yet energy most certainly DOES have an intrinsic or objective value. We can measure it. Twenty kilowatts of energy is the intrinsic value, yes? And this contradicts your claim in post 13.

Upvote 0