Southeast
✟50,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This started with the idea of making a knife sheath. Then a work belt. Then yesterday I thought about a watch strap. Finding one for my wrist tends to be difficult. My question is simple: Am I placing my goals too high? I'm thinking these could be done with a minimal investment in tools.

pen_and_poetry

Kale Queen
Nov 25, 2022
Orange county, CA
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm a n00b with leather to the highest degree but I do love working with it. I've made some simple costume pieces like bracers, embroidered collars, other accessories; a dice tray, that kind of thing.

I don't think you're setting your goals too high, but I only worked with nubuck. Especially something like a wrist-strap should only take the skill of stitching the leather over a buckle. Same for a knife sheath or a belt. The biggest concern for something 3D like a sheath is just allowing enough room for the knife to go inside. But I could be wrong :)

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟50,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To make a sheath pattern, you start by tracing the blade and as far up the haft as you want to go. In general, there's a one-piece style that dates from at least medieval times where the seam is to the back and the sheath is molded to fit the blade tightly; a fold-over style that uses a welt on the sharpened side so that it won't cut the stitching and is then molded to fit the blade;, and the type I hope to make with two pieces of leather, one on the front and the back, with a welt that goes on both sides of the blade and the tip. With the last design, the welt gives the room for the blade, but I may have to stack the welt toward the haft to make it thick enough, then skive it down so that there's a smooth transition to the thinner part. Intend to either use my micrometer to measure the thickness of the blade to get an idea of what I need to do, or to cut out the welt and try it with the blade before gluing and sewing. Probably both.

Tonight I learned that I don't have to use a groover, but can make a crease instead for the thread. That should save on tools.

Upvote 0

WilliamMikesy

Jun 16, 2023
Manchester
✟9,542.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Your goals of making leather crafts like a knife sheath, work belt, and watch strap sound really cool! With a minimal investment in tools, it's definitely possible to get started. Don't worry too much about placing your goals too high—sometimes, the best way to learn is by diving right in and experimenting.

Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

WilliamMikesy

Jun 16, 2023
Manchester
✟9,542.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Your goals of making leather crafts like a knife sheath, work belt, and watch strap sound really cool! With a minimal investment in tools, it's definitely possible to get started. Don't worry too much about placing your goals too high—sometimes, the best way to learn is by diving right in and experimenting.
Don't worry too much about placing your goals too high—sometimes, the best way to learn is by diving right in and experimenting. I found a fantastic blog that shares some helpful insights about leather crafting, including an article on Italian leather. It might provide you with some inspiration and guidance. Here's the link: https://vonbaer.cоm/blogs/blog/italian-leather/.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟50,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So far, out of necessity, I've made two checkbook covers and a work belt. Need to make another checkbook cover. Haven't made the sheath yet, I'm rethinking my design, and right now don't want to spend money on the leather.

This hobby is more expensive than I thought. That said, the belt turned out so well, I use it as a "dress" belt. Will use a type of homemade dye called vinegeroon for the upcoming checkbook cover project. Will have to buy a specific type and color of thread, though.

If I do many more belts, will need an oval punch. Made-do with a round punch, but it was harder than anticipated. Will also need a diamond-shaped awl when I get around to the knife sheath.

That said, the knife sheath is apt to get pushed further back. I need to make a multitool holster and a small flashlight holster. Both will hopefully be straight-forward.

Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0