Anime Music Videos...does this title really need to be more descriptive?

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Since I enjoy editing Anime Music Videos, or AMVs, as a hobby, I was wondering how many other people around here enjoy watching them, also edit them, or even have seen any. And if you have seen any (and obviously enjoy them), which ones are your favorites? I know this is kind of a broad question, but I think it's really the only appropriate way of starting a discussion on them because I haven't seen any other mention of AMVs on this site except for once or twice that they were mentioned in passing. Okay, enough from me.

Oh, and if anyone has seen an AMV but doesn't know the song title, anime, or who edited it, and would like to get a hold of it, I have a large amount of them so I might be able to identify which one you're referring to and direct you to the right place. :D

SqueakyGerbil

Aug 6, 2003
British Columbia
Visit site
✟15,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-NDP
I can't remember who did it but there was a Rock Lee (Naruto) one done to a song ("Evolution" was the name I think) but I thought the timing was really well done.

I made a couple of anime music videos years ago but that wasn't on the computer but actually at the local television station. Found it was much harder then I had originally expected

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I couldn't really say much of anything about Naruto, since I don't watch it. Frankly, I find it kinda disturbing when a series I only started hearing about last year becomes one of the most frequently used series for AMVs in a period of about three or four months. The AMV community I belong to, www.animemusicvideos.org, has a running tally of the anime used in the videos cataloged on the site, and these were the numbers for the 20 most used:

5550 - DragonBall Z/GT
3232 - Final Fantasy Games
2461 - Neon Genesis Evangelion
1963 - Rurouni Kenshin
1612 - Sailor Moon
1456 - Cowboy Bebop
1366 - Inu Yasha (TV)
1297 - Trigun
939 - Gundam Wing
845 - Naruto
622 - Love Hina (TV)
537 - Cardcaptor Sakura
537 - Hellsing
519 - Yu Yu Hakusho
506 - FLCL (Fooly Cooly)
484 - Ranma 1/2
440 - Akira
431 - Tenchi Muyo! (OAV)
422 - Vision of Escaflowne, The
377 - Ah! My Goddess (OVA)

I condensed those numbers down so it would be a little more accurate...I mean, I lump movies, series, and OVAs into the same boat as a single franchise, so I think these numbers are a tad more representative.

I actually submitted a couple of my own videos to the MegaCon AMV Contest in Orlando this year, but neither of them won. At least the Please Teacher! video I made was good enough in their opinion to be shown during the contest's time slot :D . My X/1999 video probably was only seen between episode viewings at some other time that weekend. :cry:

BTW, if you try to find my videos on that website, I don't have the dots over the o but everything else is the same.

Upvote 0

Hitokiri Shadow

Apr 5, 2004
Texas
✟1,274.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd love to make some AMV's but unfortunately, I don't have the time or the programs to do so. What programs should I use (if i ever find the time)? Are they free on the internet or do I have to buy them?

I saw Scrapped Princess and then I heard a song that I think fits the series well, so I'd like to make an AMV.

Here are some of my favorite music videos (in no particular order):

Gundam Wing - Duel of Fates (Trance Remix)
Ceres - Desert Rose
Fushigi Yuugi - Dreams Come True
Evangelion - Bohemian Rhapsody
Dragon Ball Z - Kryptonite
Evangelion - The Black Knight (not a music video, but it's pretty darn funny)
Evangelion - Engel
Metal Gear Solid - Chop Suey
Gundam 08th MS Team - 10th Man Down
Gundam X - Eden
Rurouni Kenshin - Pieces
Rurouni Kenshin - From the Inside
Sailor Moon - Blue

Upvote 0

Lucent

For the Birds
Mar 3, 2004
Texas
✟622.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have quite a few AMVs on my computer and burned to disks. Gotta love 'em!

My favorites include (but are not limited to):

FLCL - Superfreak
Evangelion - It's My Life
Ah! Megamisama - Shining Collection (by VicBond007)
Love Hina & Evangelion - Spider Man trailer
Azumanga Daioh - Walk Like an Egyptian
Full Metal Panic - Metal Gear Solid 2 Opening Theme (awesome!)

Well, that's some of the ones I havn't burned to disk yet. There are others, but I'm too lazy to find the disks right now.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hitokiri Shadow said:
I'd love to make some AMV's but unfortunately, I don't have the time or the programs to do so. What programs should I use (if i ever find the time)? Are they free on the internet or do I have to buy them?

I saw Scrapped Princess and then I heard a song that I think fits the series well, so I'd like to make an AMV.

Here are some of my favorite music videos (in no particular order):

Gundam Wing - Duel of Fates (Trance Remix)
Ceres - Desert Rose
Fushigi Yuugi - Dreams Come True
Dragon Ball Z - Kryptonite
Evangelion - The Black Knight (not a music video, but it's pretty darn funny)
Evangelion - Engel
Metal Gear Solid - Chop Suey
Gundam 08th MS Team - 10th Man Down
Gundam X - Eden
Rurouni Kenshin - Pieces
Rurouni Kenshin - From the Inside
Sailor Moon - Blue

The programs, ah the programs. Some are free, some aren't. Generally the commercial programs have more options and are more powerful overall, but on the downside they cost $300 or more, which needless to say, is out of most casual hobbyist's price ranges. Some of the free programs you can get are VirtualDub (I actually prefer VirtualDubMod, which is a heavily-adapted version that supports far more features and is available on SourceForge), Windows Movie Maker, which comes with all WinXP computers, and a few others that I can't remember at the moment.

In addition, it's especially necessary to have other tools at your disposal to adjust audio, do certain video encoding tasks that VirtualDub can't handle, or to get around the restrictions in output format Windows Movie Maker sets on you. This is probably my basic list of AMV editing tools that you can get for free or as demos that expire after a certain amount of time but can be renewed. Most of these are able to be found by running a Google or AOL Search:

VirtualDubMod 1.5.10 (available on SourceForge) - can convert between most video formats and compression types within AVI and similar files
dBPowerAmp Music Converter and optional input plugins
DivX 5 (either 5.1.1 off of the official website or 5.0.5 from oldversion.com; 5.0.5-IMO, the best version)
XviD (for videos that don't open using DivX 5.0.5 - DivX 5.1.1 can open them)
an MPEG-2 decoder (comes with DVD software, but can be found seperately)
TMPGEnc (a tool to prepare your videos for playback on a DVD player using the Video CD format-allows SVCD and DVD encoding for a limited time)
HuffYUV (I really can't remember the proper version number, 'cause one of the newer builds would cause problems, but this is the one to actually do editing with to avoid problems and preserve quality unless you actually have the HD space available to use Uncompressed video)
Nero Burning ROM (available as a demo, only burning program I've found that can burn Video CDs)

I really only advise against editing DivX or XviD compressed video in its native form because it can screw up your editing software's output when you try to export your video. Decode it to one that doesn't use the same video dynamics as those, such as HuffYUV or even Uncompressed video or Motion JPEG; do your editing; export the video and then convert back to DivX or XviD. This problem doesn't apply if you only use VirtualDub, but if Windows Movie Maker or a commercial program is used, it's better to be safe than sorry.

If you've got the time to check it out, at www.animemusicvideos.org under 'Guides' there is one called 'AbsoluteDestiny & ErMaC's Technical Guides to All Things Audio and Video' that will give you the in-depth video terms and a basic concept of some of those video dynamics I was talking about. It's in pretty technical language but tries to do it in an easy-to-understand fashion. It took me a while (like around a year) to get used to the way video works, but it actually is the guide to use to figure out just what a lot of those terms mean and why video files sometimes do the things they do when you watch them or try to edit them and how to fix certain things. Without that guide, it would've taken a lot longer than a year.

I've seen a few of those videos also. The Evangelion 'Engel' video is actually the video most other Eva action videos that have been made since strive to be, and that's about 5 years worth. It's one of my favorites also. The Black Knight and Bohemian Rhapsody videos are also a couple of my favorites as well. It's been a while since I saw the Fushigi Yuugi one, though.

Blessed-one said:
haven't seen a lot.. but the ones i have seen are pretty good. my favourite has to be FF8, but FF isn't really animation is it?

Actually, by AMV.org's standards, FF and similar anime-styled CG animation is actually considered as anime for catalog purposes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lucent said:
I have quite a few AMVs on my computer and burned to disks. Gotta love 'em!

My favorites include (but are not limited to):

FLCL - Superfreak
Evangelion - It's My Life
Ah! Megamisama - Shining Collection (by VicBond007)
Love Hina & Evangelion - Spider Man trailer
Azumanga Daioh - Walk Like an Egyptian
Full Metal Panic - Metal Gear Solid 2 Opening Theme (awesome!)

Well, that's some of the ones I havn't burned to disk yet. There are others, but I'm too lazy to find the disks right now.

Shining Collection was a great video. I really like VicBond's Witch Hunter Robin Matrix sequels trailers too. The It's My Life video is another one of my favorites. I always convert all the vids I download to Video CD format before I burn them, so that I can sit back and watch them on my DVD player :D .

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Aburame said:
Check out DokiDoki's: Right now somone is reading this title vid. HILARIOUS!

But sppanda's session 4 (cowboy bebop to giving in) Is the best one I have seen. But i would suggest downloading everything from both of those artists.

I'm familiar with both of them. Right Now was probably the first video by DokiDoki that I ever saw. He's got some other excellent ones also (lollipops, Rainbows, and rrrRRRrrr, lol). I've seen sppanda's Feuer Frei video (sorry, can't remember the session number). I may have seen others, but I can't think right now...just woke up.

To make it really easy to see a lot of my favorites, on AMV.org there is a 100 Favorite Vids section on the profiles, and mine's full. Unfortunately, I have a lot more than 100 favorites, but quite a few of the well-known videos are on that list.

Upvote 0

SAint Mark

Jesus Freak
Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
Visit site
✟8,336.00
Faith
Christian
I know a few REALLY great AMVs. I think ther're good because the music is in sync with the video. So pay attention (though I have a feeling you might have seen them :D) :

categorized by anime title and song

Trigun vs Cowboy Bebop - Smooth Criminal (MJ).mpg
Evangelion - Rammstein - Engel.mpg
Ninja Scroll - Zombie Dragula remix.mpg
El Hazard - [Caramba] Hubba Hubba Zoot Zoot.mpg
Trigun & Cowboy Bebop - Tainted Donuts.mpeg
Best Mortal Combat AMV: Rurouni Kenshin - Kyoto Combat.mpg

This one's just funny: Aqua - Ugly Girl (anime parody).mpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Qyöt27 said:
Since I enjoy editing Anime Music Videos, or AMVs, as a hobby, I was wondering how many other people around here enjoy watching them, also edit them, or even have seen any. And if you have seen any (and obviously enjoy them), which ones are your favorites? I know this is kind of a broad question, but I think it's really the only appropriate way of starting a discussion on them because I haven't seen any other mention of AMVs on this site except for once or twice that they were mentioned in passing. Okay, enough from me.

Oh, and if anyone has seen an AMV but doesn't know the song title, anime, or who edited it, and would like to get a hold of it, I have a large amount of them so I might be able to identify which one you're referring to and direct you to the right place. :D
If you have inamp and look at a saltwaterchimp plug they show LOTS of AMV's i think you can go to their web site as well and view. Have you ever heard of Frou frou some guy did one with their song and a Rayxepheron clip.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
orthodox_e said:
Have you ever heard of Frou frou some guy did one with their song and a Rayxepheron clip.

Yeah I have :) , the video's official name is "Euphoria" (it holds several records around AMV.org), and it was edited by Koopiskeva. I have several of his videos, including that one. Good stuff.

I do have Winamp, but it's version 2.81. I've never really cared much for Winamp 3 or Winamp 5, since I really only need it as a jukebox.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I haven't been looking for new AMV's in a while, but a little less than a year ago, the "Euphoria" AMV (RahXephon) was by far the best I had ever seen. It was almost professionally done. My roomate and I sat down for a little while to try and figure out how to do some of the effects in it, we were blown away by how much effort it takes to do them. The AMV can be found at:

http://animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=15698

Edit: Just saw the above post referencing the same video.

Upvote 0