• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anger Issues

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I get angry I just snap without thinking. People laughing in my face and laughing at me with their friends or boyfriend is a trigger for me and unfortunately I feel like people laugh at me a lot and they point sometimes too.

I get extremely angry and very very close to going off on people in public. I did it at work one time, just snapped on co-workers. In highschool swung the metal pieces of a chair at someone's face. Punched a friend in the throat and stabbed a girl in the hand who was writing on my face with a pen.

I have a lot of rage at people and I don't tell this to counselors or regular people cause obviously this would freak them out, but I'm scared I'm going to get in a fight or do something worse to someone some day cause I get angry.

I bought a CBT book today for Anxiety and I may try to get an order line counselor and looking into possible CBD oil for depression/ anxiety as well.... Idk I've been living like this for a long time and haven't really done anything too crazy so maybe I worry too much.

But today my bf and I got in an argument and I went into the mall after and people were laughing around me with friends and I felt like I was being made fun of and I wanted to stop them and fight and punch the women I saw in the face. Girls that act like they are prettier or better than me are the main ones I want to beat up cause they are snotty.

Is it wrong to want to defend myself against people? Will CBT stop this rage and wanting to beat people up?

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟722,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
AngelEyes7715 - I do not know if a CBT book will help, as I know nothing about it. However, there is no doubt that you need to find some way to reduce your tendency to become angry. Expressing anger verbally is always a risky thing, as you could always say something that you could later regret, but to do so physically is very risky behavior. I am no expert on the subject, so I hesitate to give specific advice. Have you tried talking to a professional, like a pastor or a local mental health agency? If you do not want to see someone in person, then why not talk to one of the staff members here? I imagine that some of them would be qualified to help?

By the way, when I told Hammster recently that he had my favorite nickname on Christian Forums until you joined, AngelEyes7715, he did not mind that you passed him up and he got a laugh from my compliment. Does your nickname mean that you have stunning eyes, AngelEyes?

• Agree
Reactions: jsimms615
Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟330,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think when out in public and you feel everyone is looking or thinking about you or laughing at you, is pretty common in social anxiety. If you were to remove some of that anxiety by coming to terms that people in general when you go out aren't thinking about you and when a group of people laugh when you are outside, that it has nothing to do with you, I think that helps once you get to that point. I had an issue like this as well where when a group of people laughed i immediately thought they were laughing about me.

Sometimes when I go out and I am around people sometimes instinctively my first gut reaction when I hear people laughing really hard is to assume it has something to do with me. However with that gut reaction comes an instant realization that it has nothing to do with me, because the odds are so low that when you walk into a place grown adults will just start bursting out in laughter over you. Once you realize you are just one person of billions and people don't care or think about you in that way, the fear slowly subsides over time.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jsimms615
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I speak German. I clearly can engage in conversations with anyone else who speaks it. When I was in the military in Germany, I noted that Americans stiffened up and in some cases exploded into anger when they heard German citizens speaking German on a train or in a bus or wherever, in their presence. In each case they thought that the German citizen was talking about the American soldier or citizen. It was so sad. The Germans were engaging in simple conversation, which had zero to do with the American(s) present.

I'm guessing that this happens in your case, Angeleyes7715, and in the case of many others. Sit down with a professional counselor for at least a couple of hours of insight. Be blessed as you reach out, and remember that the Holy Spirit is there to provide additional guidance.

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I get angry I just snap without thinking. People laughing in my face and laughing at me with their friends or boyfriend is a trigger for me and unfortunately I feel like people laugh at me a lot and they point sometimes too.

I get extremely angry and very very close to going off on people in public. I did it at work one time, just snapped on co-workers. In highschool swung the metal pieces of a chair at someone's face. Punched a friend in the throat and stabbed a girl in the hand who was writing on my face with a pen.

I have a lot of rage at people and I don't tell this to counselors or regular people cause obviously this would freak them out, but I'm scared I'm going to get in a fight or do something worse to someone some day cause I get angry.

I bought a CBT book today for Anxiety and I may try to get an order line counselor and looking into possible CBD oil for depression/ anxiety as well.... Idk I've been living like this for a long time and haven't really done anything too crazy so maybe I worry too much.

But today my bf and I got in an argument and I went into the mall after and people were laughing around me with friends and I felt like I was being made fun of and I wanted to stop them and fight and punch the women I saw in the face. Girls that act like they are prettier or better than me are the main ones I want to beat up cause they are snotty.

Is it wrong to want to defend myself against people? Will CBT stop this rage and wanting to beat people up?

Your going to have to work with a counselor to understand what is behind this rage your feeling. Is it insecurity or irritability or fear. A lot of time fear is the basis of something like this and you don't even realize it. I don't know if you ever heard of Albert Ellis or not but he has a particular kind of cognitive therapy called REBT and he writes a lot about anger. he isn't a christian, but truth is truth. YOu might look at some of the youtube videos about his work online

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0