Alberta
✟12,995.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In 1987 the movie Contact, starring Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughay first aired in theatres. In that movie Jodie's character had asked her father about there being alien life out there? Her fathers response was, "It would be a lot of wasted space if there wasn't." That answer has stuck with me to this day. However, I have come to see it in a different light. One I want to share with you now.

God has created man to be an eternal being. God being infinite has no beginning and no end. Man being eternal has a beginning, but no end. If we took one man with a given life span of say 100yrs, the planet earth is plenty big enough for him. However, if we took that same man and gave him eternal life, planet earth suddenly becomes not so big. Now, lets take the current population of the earth right now, of almost 8 billion people, and say only one third of them are eternal. Approximately 2.7 billion. How big is the earth now? We may have a problem. But why stop there? Lets take everyone who has existed, is currently in existence, and those yet to exist. Again, lets only take a third of these just for the sake of argument. I'm guessing at even a third, that is going to be a countless number of people. I am no mathematician so I'll leave that up to them. That aside, do you see where I'm going with this?

I truly believe when God created the entirety of space, he did so with us in mind. The more we learn about space, the more never ending it appears to be. To a finite being such as us, in our current state, to grasp this is overwhelming. But, in an eternal state of being, space would be enough to keep us busy throughout. The never ending vastness of space and the unfathomable beauty it seems to hold within it, to me, is just another expression of God's love for us. "Look! I made all this just for you." Now, for God to create all that just for us to never get to experience, to me that is a lot of wasted space. I think to explore the entirety of space, would be to explore the entirety of God who is throughout the entirety of space. Which, as I said earlier, appears to be never ending.

Reactions: RonJohnSilver

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟219,272.00
Faith
Non-Denom
In 1987 the movie Contact, starring Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughay first aired in theatres. In that movie Jodie's character had asked her father about there being alien life out there? Her fathers response was, "It would be a lot of wasted space if there wasn't." That answer has stuck with me to this day.
Yeah I saw the movie and remember the line. Ha....that line never stuck to me for I'd had already years before thought this way......because the universe with galaxies many exist.....does not mean necessary there's life out there. (You've kind of said the same in your post) So Adam and Eve were given a planet. They were told to multiply and replenish the Earth....which means the whole Earth,,

wasn't like the garden . Why did God do this, that is give them and Earth not all beautiful.....so they would have something to do to express their creative ability. NOW ....what would have happened after replenishing the Earth.....sit and be bored? No. I believed they were meant to go to the stars.....Galaxies beyond......so the Earth would be like the home base project. Now how would MAN get out there? Too far away? Nope there's a way to jump from star to star....in seconds......but that takes many paragraphs to explain. So MAN missed out for a period of time.....much more can be said.

Even in Sci-Fi literature....Issacs Asimov wrote the renown trilogy called Foundation......the story line had it the universe, galaxies were populated with humans all throughout in the far off future......but a few characters in the novel had heard that all life really came from one planet and it became like a legend.....nobody knew if it was true.....a planet called Galia OR Earth.....people wondered if it was a real place or just a legend. The character seek out to find the legendary Earth and they follow clues to find it. In other words no life had actually been in the universe before the people of Earth went out to the beyond. So it would be like trying to find the the Garden of Eden which some think is a legend today. (I don't. I believe it actually did exist)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In 1987 the movie Contact, starring Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughay first aired in theatres. In that movie Jodie's character had asked her father about there being alien life out there? Her fathers response was, "It would be a lot of wasted space if there wasn't." That answer has stuck with me to this day. However, I have come to see it in a different light. One I want to share with you now.

God has created man to be an eternal being. God being infinite has no beginning and no end. Man being eternal has a beginning, but no end. If we took one man with a given life span of say 100yrs, the planet earth is plenty big enough for him. However, if we took that same man and gave him eternal life, planet earth suddenly becomes not so big. Now, lets take the current population of the earth right now, of almost 8 billion people, and say only one third of them are eternal. Approximately 2.7 billion. How big is the earth now? We may have a problem. But why stop there? Lets take everyone who has existed, is currently in existence, and those yet to exist. Again, lets only take a third of these just for the sake of argument. I'm guessing at even a third, that is going to be a countless number of people. I am no mathematician so I'll leave that up to them. That aside, do you see where I'm going with this?

I truly believe when God created the entirety of space, he did so with us in mind. The more we learn about space, the more never ending it appears to be. To a finite being such as us, in our current state, to grasp this is overwhelming. But, in an eternal state of being, space would be enough to keep us busy throughout. The never ending vastness of space and the unfathomable beauty it seems to hold within it, to me, is just another expression of God's love for us. "Look! I made all this just for you." Now, for God to create all that just for us to never get to experience, to me that is a lot of wasted space. I think to explore the entirety of space, would be to explore the entirety of God who is throughout the entirety of space. Which, as I said earlier, appears to be never ending.
The Junk Drawer and Kitchen Sink does not allow any theology discussions on them.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Michie, I feel a little concerned that you would see my post as being a theological discussion.
God has created man to be an eternal being. God being infinite has no beginning and no end. Man being eternal has a beginning, but no end. If we took one man with a given life span of say 100yrs, the planet earth is plenty big enough for him. However, if we took that same man and gave him eternal life, planet earth suddenly becomes not so big. Now, let’s take the current population of the earth right now, of almost 8 billion people, and say only one third of them are eternal. Approximately 2.7 billion. How big is the earth now? We may have a problem. But why stop there? Let’s take everyone who has existed, is currently in existence, and those yet to exist. Again, let’s only take a third of these just for the sake of argument. I'm guessing at even a third, that is going to be a countless number of people. I am no mathematician so I'll leave that up to them. That aside, do you see where I'm going with this?

No need to be concerned.

Upvote 0