Album Reviews

Flick7

Jun 18, 2008
✟7,648.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Although his own recording career was brief, the late Fred Neil was a key figure in the transition of folk to folk-rock. Born in Florida but based in New York's bohemian Greenwich Village, he made an immediate impact with his 1965 debut Bleecker & MacDougal, which featured John Sebastian (The Lovin' Spoonful) on harmonica. Having outraged genre purists by mixing acoustic and electric instrumentation, Neil went a step further with a groundbreaking synthesis of folk, rock, and jazz, bound by hynotic songs and his low, honey-thick croon.

Upvote 0

Flick7

Jun 18, 2008
✟7,648.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Essential listening for all singer-songwriters, this album contains no filler. That said, there are two obvious peaks. Understated classic "Everybody's Talkin'" became a global pop smash for the great Harry Nilsson, whose speeded-up version featured in the movie Midnight Cowboy. "The Dolphins" insinuates itself with a yearning, elliptical melody, while the lyric conflates philosophy and environmentalism. The track was regularly covered by Tim Buckley; its author donated all royalties to dolphin conservation charities.

Upvote 0

Flick7

Jun 18, 2008
✟7,648.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Another famous Neil acolyte was Mama Cass Elliot of The Mamas And The Papas, who is rumored to be the "UFO" credited with backing vocals on "Badi-Da." The artist's coffee-black humor surfaces in the funky groove of "That's The Bag I'm In," while the bluesy "Sweet Cocaine" observes without passing judgement. Progressive work-out "Cynicrustpetefredjohn Raga" makes an exotic closer, driven by Cyrus Faryar's "magic bouzouki" and loose ensemble playing.

The End
:clap::clap::clap:

Upvote 0

Flick7

Jun 18, 2008
✟7,648.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Track Listing

1. Party Line - (Davies) ......................................................... 2:35
2. Rosy Won't You Please Come Home - (Davies) ....................... 2:34
3. Dandy - (Davies) .............................................................. 2:12
4. Too Much On My Mind - (Davies) ......................................... 2:28
5. Session Man - (Davies) ...................................................... 2:14
6. Rainy Day In June - (Davies) .............................................. 3:10
7. Houses In The Country - (Davies) ........................................ 3:03
8. Holiday In Waikiki - (Davies) .............................................. 2:52
9. Most Exclusive Residence For Sale - (Davies) ........................ 2:48
10. Fancy - (Davies) ............................................................. 2:30
11. Little Miss Queen Of Darkness - (Davies) ............................ 3:16
12. You're Lookin' Fine - (Davies) ........................................... 2:46
13. Sunny Afternoon - (Davies) .............................................. 3:36
14. I'll Remember - (Davies) ................................................. 2:27

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Flick7

Jun 18, 2008
✟7,648.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Face To Face signaled a change of approach for Ray, his guitarist brother Dave, drummer Mick Avory, and bassist Pete Quaife. It was the first time they had spent months on a record, overdubbing tracks over the course of several sessions. It also marked the end for American producer Shel Talmy, whose rough 'n' ready methods did not suit the cleaner arrangements.

Upvote 0

Flick7

Jun 18, 2008
✟7,648.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
"Party Line" kicks things off in familiar rock 'n' roll style, while "Dandy" follows up the Swinging London satire of early hit "Dedicated Follower Of Fashion." Much of the rest is deeper and darker. Ray explores his fragile mental state in the harpsichord-laden "Too Much On My Mind"; UK chart-topper "Sunny Afternoon" floats its world-weary sentiment on a beautifully descending bassline. "House In The Country" and "Most Exclusive Residence For Sale" fit the accepted view of the album as a song cycle about British society. However, the "quintessentially English" cliche underplays the diversity of both the music and the lyrics. Chuck Berry homage "Holiday In Waikiki" laments the commercialization of Hawaii. "Fancy" is a droning mood piece inspired by Indian ragas, while "Rainy Day In June" is awash with thunderclaps and mystery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Flick7

Jun 18, 2008
✟7,648.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Track Listing

1. No Man Can Find The War - (Beckett, Buckley) ....................... 2:58
2. Carnival Song - (Buckley) ................................................... 3:10
3. Pleasant Street - (Buckley) ................................................. 5:15
4. Hallucinations - (Beckett, Buckley) ....................................... 4:55
5. I Never Asked To Be Your Mountain - (Buckley) ...................... 6:02
6. Once I Was - (Buckley) ...................................................... 3:22
7. Phantasmagoria In Two - (Buckley) ...................................... 3:29
8. Knight-Errant - (Beckett, Buckley) ....................................... 2:00
9. Goodbye and Hello - (Beckett, Buckley) ................................ 8:38
10. Morning Glory - (Beckett, Buckley) ..................................... 2:52

Upvote 0

Flick7

Jun 18, 2008
✟7,648.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Tim Buckley's second LP should have made him a star. The 20-year-old troubadour was already a face in L.A., thanks to his eponymous 1966 debut - an accomplished set of post-Dylan love songs that showcased his rich tenor and emotive phrasing. He was now eager to break out of the folk-rock scene.

Upvote 0

AdamKane

Aug 27, 2008
✟1,316.00
Marital Status
Private
Artist: The great Demon Hunter
Album: Summer of Darkness
Out of five I give it a five
I love the band Demon Hunter and I love their album "Summer of Darkness" the most. Demon Hunter are masters at mixing warm melodies with cold hard aggressive heavy metal, this gives their music a sound which is aggressive and touching at the same time. The warmth of the melody instills emotions like love, hate, joy, pain fear and confidence. The heavy metal provides a backdrop to intensify these feelings. The lead singer Ryan Clark sounds awesome and grabs the attention of listener while he is screaming, on the other hand he makes person want to sing along when he is singing.
Track listing:
1. Not ready to die
2. The awakening
3. Beheaded
4. My heartstrings come undone
5. Our faces fall apart
6. Less than nothing
7. Summer of darkness
8. Beauty through the eyes of a predator
9. Annihilate the corrupt
10. I play dead
11. Everything was white
12. Coffin builder
13 The latest and the last (the wheels of judgment turn slowly)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums