• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Addiction to bread...

ellisjay2

Apr 21, 2014
✟15,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does eating a lot of bread count as eating disorder, I dont have a wieght problem its actually the other way around for me, I can eat whatever I want and not gain a pound. Ive been 145 lbs for the past 7 years, its due to my high metabolism, but I try to eat more vegetables, non fried food, or fatty meats like pork, or lots of sweets. But when it comes to bread, different types its addicting for some reason. I can eat bread with out meat, tortilla wraps, rolls, biscuits, etc. I do suffer from low fiber (constipation issues) so that calms me down on my bread intake after learning from digestion problems.

nigheandonn

Secretly Nancy Drew
May 29, 2014
Somewhere in the South
✟16,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That doesn't sound like an eating disorder, unless you are bingeing on bread. How much do you consume at once?

An addiction to bread can actually indicate a sensitivity, allergy, or intolerance to/of gluten or wheat, so that might be something to look into. That was my first thought when I read your post.

Reactions: HonestTruth
Upvote 0

ellisjay2

Apr 21, 2014
✟15,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I usually try to have maybe a roll or two with like a dinner meal or when eating dinner once im home I have a habit of grabbing 3 and sometimes 4 slices of bread on the side. Honey wheat, and multi grain usually. If i have time in mournings to make breakfast (eggs bacon ) I thrown in a few slices, 2 or 3, but if I have time like on the weekends for breakfast ill make 3 or 4 good size waffles/pancakes and fill up!! I dont think I have an allergy but thinking doesnt count. I do feel full and bloated pretty often after meals even light ones, I have been aware of gluten effects on digestive systems, Ive also looked into GERD symptons but have not had any test or exams at doctor or Gastrointestinal office. But again i have a speedy metabolism, and have been the same weight the past 7 years, one hundred fourty five pounds, at thirty one years of age, so I dont get fat or anything, but I just think my bread/yeast craving is just odd. I used too eat alot of pastries, and breaded sweets until I learned better eating habits.

Upvote 0

nigheandonn

Secretly Nancy Drew
May 29, 2014
Somewhere in the South
✟16,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Speaking as someone who has had both an eating disorder and a wheat allergy, this sounds much closer to the latter. I did not think I had one either until I was tested. I've still been skeptical at times since then (wishful thinking), but it's very apparent that it is a problem when I try eating it now. We often don't realize how something is making us feel until we avoid it for a while. I would encourage you to find a doctor who knows how to administer delayed-reaction allergy testing, as it is very common for wheat/gluten sensitivities to not show up on normal tests because the reactions can occur up to 24 hours later.

Cravings are a very common symptom of a sensitivity to a food. Also, it is possible that you have a yeast overgrowth, given your cravings and your history of consuming pastries, lots of bread, etc. If you think that might be a possibility, let me know, and I can point you to some resources, as that's a problem most doctors are not equipped to deal with. I underwent treatment for a yeast overgrowth without proper supervision and accidentally gave myself stomach problems for months, but I was fine when I was guided by a doctor who knew what she was doing.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Upvote 0

ALEA40

Nov 22, 2013
NC
✟15,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wheat is very addictive. The book "Wheat Belly" goes into it in great detail. It has to do with brain chemistry and the protein strands that now comprise our modern mega-hybridized wheat. I would check it out if you're interested. I gave up wheat about 3 months ago. I've never felt better. All my skin and intestinal issues are completely gone. I can think clearly now. The weirdest thing about wheat for me was that I would be eating a sandwich made out of healthy, organic bread and all I would be thinking about would be how much I couldn't wait to make another sandwich! It was bizarre. The more I ate, the more I wanted to eat. I was never satiated. I've since lost 40 lbs since giving up wheat. My blood pressure is lower than it's ever been in my adult life (100/73).

I prayed to God about a year ago to help guide me in this journey to get healthier. I really want to devote my life to being the hands and feet of Jesus and I can't do that carrying 50+ extra pounds, being exhausted, and my back and hip joints were killing me. When I prayed, I almost immediately received picture flashes of plates of lean meats and veggies. It took me awhile to trust this message and get the courage up to ditch the wheat, but now that I have, I don't think I will ever look back. I think of wheat like a toxin now.

Let me know if you end up ditching the wheat too. Blessings!

Upvote 0

KnowHisJoy77

blessed
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia USA
✟46,558.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Try to eat more protein to not crave much breads or sugars. If I dont eat enough good protein in my meals I will crave sugar and carbs a lot.

Sugars and white processed and processed stuff very bad for us..if I eat it my eczema shows up in my skin.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
(June 2014 thread)
The book "Wheat Belly" goes into it in great detail. It has to do with brain chemistry and the
Great information.
I have always found that grains make me want to eat more, even in childhood going off to school after a bowl of cereal. I still eat them, but make sure I have proteins or fats to stabilize my blood sugar.
And I eat vegetables at breakfast when I can.

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That doesn't sound like an eating disorder, unless you are bingeing on bread. How much do you consume at once?

An addiction to bread can actually indicate a sensitivity, allergy, or intolerance to/of gluten or wheat, so that might be something to look into. That was my first thought when I read your post.

That was exactly what I thought. I could never eat enough bread and always craved more. Then one day I decided to try the gluten free diet and immediately lost a lot of weight. It turns out that I had not been able to digest that wheat ad that this caused me so many stomach disorders. Three years later, my tummy feels terrific.

Give up gluten and see if the cravings stop.

Upvote 0

SHETALKSTOANGELS

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
NY
✟1,611.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I echo what everybody else seems to think. It does not sound at all like an eating disorder, though the high carbs may relax you if you are seratonin deficient.

I am inclined to think it is a wheat issue, try going wheat free for a month and see how things progress.

Best of luck ! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0