A Seventh Day Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbgtcotlg

Aug 28, 2006
✟15,113.00
Faith
Non-Denom
One of the deepest conflicts among modern day Christians exists over the day of worship. Seventh-Day believers who worship on the Sabbath have condemned their First-Day brethren becausethey don't "Keep the Sabbath." First-Day believers who worship on Sunday have condemned Sabbath-keepers for being legalistic idolaters who worship the day, instead of the Lord of the day. Sibling rivalry among the seed of Abraham is nothing new. In John 4:23-24 the Bible records a meeting between Jesus and a Samaritan woman. Their conversation reveals a similar conflict between the Samaritans and the Jews over the place of worship. The Jews worshiped in Jerusalem and the Samaritans worshiped in the mountains. However, Jesus brought insight and resolution regarding the issue of worship when He made this declaration: "Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers that the Father seeks. God is spirit and His worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." In other words, both sides had fallen short of what the Father seeks.

The words Jesus spoke to the woman at the well 2,000 years ago are still Yea and Amen! The present conflict between Seventh-Day and First-Day believers can only be resolved as we look to Jesus who is Lord of all.
What is the Seventh Day Alternative: Alternative to What?

For the Seventh-Day worshiper, it is an alternative to the superficial, legalistic, hypocritical attempt to follow the letter of the law by legislating behavior according to manmade traditions. For the First-Day worshiper, it is an alternative to the total disregard for a day the Lord has blessed and called Holy. To all, it is a move towards a spiritual, meaningful, fulfilling, rightful view of the Sabbath.
The Origin of the Seventh Day

The first mention of the seventh day is in Genesis 2. God blessed the seventh day and He called it holy. He blessed man and the seventh day because only man and the seventh day were created with eternal properties. However, only the seventh day was declared holy. Man could not be declared holy in the book of Genesis. God knew that we would fall into sin. It would take the shed blood of our Lord and Savior to make us a holy nation. In all of God.s majestic creation, the seventh day was the only thing that He blessed and declared holy. And there is no scriptural evidence to support a claim that God has ever reversed His seventh-day blessing or declared it unholy.
The Seventh-Day is for All

Both sides of this issue quote scriptures to support their claims. However, Psalm 119:160 (NAS) states "The sum of Your word is truth, and every one of Your righteous ordinances is everlasting." We must be willing to take a balanced, comprehensive journey through scripture, rightly dividing the word, in order to know the truth.
Before Abram became Abraham, before the Law of Moses was given on Mount Sinai, God consecrated the seventh day at the completion of His creative work. In Exodus 20:8 God spoke these words "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy." This is the only commandment that begins with the word "Remember." God was reminding the people of His decree recorded in Genesis 2 which preceded the law and the creation of the Hebrew nation. He would not have expected them to remember something that they had never known. It's quite possible that 400 years under Pharaoh had dulled their memory. But the claim that the Seventh-Day observance is just for Jews who are under the law is not biblically sound. In Isaiah 66:23 the word declares "...From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before Me,... says the LORD." This does not refer to Old Testament events. This proclamation is for the new millennium - the age to come. And it is not just for the Jew. It is for all mankind. According to scripture, all mankind shall come to worship Him from one Sabbath to the next! In Matthew 24:20, Jesus talks about the End of the Age and the persecution that will arise prior to His return. He tells us to pray that our flight not be on the Sabbath. If He did not intend for us to continue keeping the Sabbath, why would He say such a thing? It is evident that the Sabbath is still of great importance to our God.
The Sabbath was never transferred to Sunday by God or the Bible

The following quotations are from First-Day theologians, past and present, Catholic and Protestant who all attest to the fact that the Seventh Day is still the Sabbath of both the Old and New Testaments. They all agree that the consecration of Sunday as a replacement for the Sabbath has no basis in Holy Scripture.
ROMAN CATHOLIC CONFESSIONS

James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of our Fathers, 88th ed., pp. 89.
"But you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify."​

Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Catechism 3rd ed., p. 174.
"Question: Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept? "Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her-she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday, the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday, the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority."​

John Laux, A Course in Religion for Catholic High Schools and Academies (1936), vol. 1, P. 51.
"Some theologians have held that God likewise directly determined the Sunday as the day of worship in the New Law, that He Himself has explicitly substituted the Sunday for the Sabbath. But this theory is now entirely abandoned. It is now commonly held that God simply gave His Church the power to set aside whatever day or days she would deem suitable as Holy Days. The Church chose Sunday, the first day of the week, and in the course of time added other days as holy days."​

Daniel Ferres, ed., Manual of Christian Doctrine (1916), p.67.
"Question: How prove you that the Church hath power to command feasts and holy days?

"Answer: By the very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, which Protestants allow of, and therefore they fondly contradict themselves, by keeping Sunday strictly, and breaking most other feasts commanded by the same Church.'​
PROTESTANT CONFESSIONS
Baptist

Dr. Edward T. Hiscox, a paper read before a New York ministers' conference, Nov. 13, 1893, reported in New York Examiner, Nov.16, 1893.
"There was and is a commandment to keep holy the Sabbath day, but that Sabbath day was not Sunday. It will be said, however, and with some show of triumph, that the Sabbath was transferred from the seventh to the first day of the week .... Where can the record of such a transaction be found? Not in the New Testament absolutely not."

"To me it seems unaccountable that Jesus, during three years' intercourse with His disciples, often conversing with them upon the Sabbath question . . . never alluded to any transference of the day; also, that during forty days of His resurrection life, no such thing was intimated."

"Of course, I quite well know that Sunday did come into use in early Christian history . . . . But what a pity it comes branded with the mark of paganism, and christened with the name of the sun god, adopted and sanctioned by the papal apostasy, and bequeathed as a sacred legacy to Protestantism!"​

Disciples of Christ

Alexander Campbell, The Christian Baptist, Feb. 2, 1824,vol. 1. no. 7, p. 164.
"'But,' say some, 'it was changed from the seventh to the first day.' Where? when? and by whom? No man can tell. No; it never was changed, nor could it be, unless creation was to be gone through again: for the reason assigned must be changed before the observance, or respect to the reason, can be changed! It is all old wives' fables to talk of the change of the Sabbath from the seventh to the first day. If it be changed, it was that august personage changed it who changes times and laws ex officio - I think his name is Doctor Antichrist.'"​

Lutheran

The Sunday Problem, a study book of the United Lutheran Church (1923), p. 36.
"We have seen how gradually the impression of the Jewish sabbath faded from the mind of the Christian Church, and how completely the newer thought underlying the observance of the first day took possession of the church. We have seen that the Christians of the first three centuries never confused one with the other, but for a time celebrated both."​

Augsburg Confession of Faith art. 28; written by Melanchthon, approved by Martin Luther, 1530; as published in The Book of Concord of the Evangelical Lutheran Church Henry Jacobs, ed. (1 91 1), p. 63.
"They [Roman Catholics] refer to the Sabbath Day, a shaving been changed into the Lord's Day, contrary to the Decalogue, as it seems. Neither is there any example whereof they make more than concerning the changing of the Sabbath Day. Great, say they, is the power of the Church, since it has dispensed with one of the Ten Commandments!"​
One story often used by First-Day worshipers to support Sunday as a replacement for the Seventh-Day Sabbath is found in Acts 20:7. The event described was actually a Saturday evening fellowship where Paul talked well into the night. In biblical times, midnight did not mark the passing of one day to the next. It was the setting of the sun that marked a new day. Therefore, when the evening of the first day of the week is indicated in scripture, it is translated to what we would call Saturday night. This was not a Sunday church service; it was a Saturday evening pot-luck which featured a rather long-winded preacher!
No One is Saved by the Day

The commandments associated with the Sabbath had to do with rest. Corporate Sabbath-Day observance became customary after the law was given. The fact that Jesus, Paul and the believers who walked with them observed the custom of Seventh-Day worship makes it a good example to follow. However, this does not give anyone the right to condemn another believer because they worship on Sunday. As a matter of fact, Colossians 2:16 says that we should not to let anyone judge us regarding a Sabbath Day. This scripture does not say that the Sabbath is no longer blessed and holy; it simply says that we are not to be judged because of it! Romans 3:20-22 states that "Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law, rather through the law we become conscious of sin. But now a righteousness from God, apart from the law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe." Salvation is by faith in Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross. To suggest that salvation is obtained by the observance of a day is to deny the sufficiency of the atoning blood of Christ and its ability to save to the utmost. To uphold Sabbath-keeping as an evidence of salvation is to diminish the work of the cross and render the death of Jesus Christ, unnecessary. The carnal striving to obtain or to prove righteousness through .Keeping the Sabbath. has resulted in a list of do.s and don.ts that are followed to appease men but have no power to bring about a change of heart. And so the day that God created to be a restful delight has become a burden. The fact is that none of us could possibly keep a Sabbath according to the letter of the law. We would fail the minute we switched on the lights in our home. There.s something much deeper that God is calling us to. It is spiritual and not carnal. John 8:36 declares that He whom the Son sets free is free indeed. The Lord of the Sabbath said that the Sabbath was created for man and not man for the Sabbath (Mark 2:27). The veil in the temple was ripped when Jesus died for our sins. Religious leaders have no right to interfere with the divine intimacy that every believer is afforded by grace. Those who are led by the spirit are His and have no need of manmade lists. As we draw near to God, He will show us how to keep the Sabbath holy. Observing the Sabbath is more a state of mind and a heart condition than a code of behavior. That which causes the believer to honor, draw near to, magnify, rest in, meditate on, or delight in the Lord should be acceptable on the Sabbath. The Seventh-Day Alternative seeks relationship with God borne of love, not fear. And this love embraces all believers who call on the name of Jesus. The Seventh-Day Alternative allows the believer to lay down the cares of a performance-driven week and enter into a place of divine fellowship where God can minister rest and restoration. This is the kind of worshiper that the Father seeks. The Bible states that one day we will all worship Him from one Sabbath day to the next. The mission for The Church of the Lord's Gospel is to walk in the truth that we've been graced to receive, share this truth in love, and condemn no one for that which the Lord has not yet revealed to them.

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟38,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
One of the deepest conflicts among modern day Christians exists over the day of worship. Seventh-Day believers who worship on the Sabbath have condemned their First-Day brethren becausethey don't "Keep the Sabbath." First-Day believers who worship on Sunday have condemned Sabbath-keepers for being legalistic idolaters who worship the day, instead of the Lord of the day. ....

That is not true..

I say...ad instance for a catholic point of view there are by far more relevant differences between christians than the day of worship.

Ad intance:
- division between churches that have kept a true apostolic succession (=true bishops and sacraments), and who have not
- division between churches that give the right weight to Tradition, and churches have kept only a part of the Tradition, the Bible
- division between churches that have kept a correct balance between free will and God will, and churches that believe in predestination
- division between churches that have kept a correct focus on becaming Christ-like, and churches that focus mainly in salvation
- division between churches that rely on faith hope and charity, and churches that rely only on faith.
- division between churches that worship God in a liturgical way, and churches that use contemporary worship
- division between churches that teach mortification and mistic ascesis, and churches that look for feeling in prayers

I do not think that the day of worship is a so relevant issue to negate intercommunion (between ad instance catholics and SDA): above points are by far more deep and un-solvable...

Upvote 0

plum

my thoughts are free
Nov 30, 2003
✟48,380.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
- division between churches that have kept a true apostolic succession (=true bishops and sacraments), and who have not
- division between churches that give the right weight to Tradition, and churches have kept only a part of the Tradition, the Bible
- division between churches that have kept a correct balance between free will and God will, and churches that believe in predestination
- division between churches that have kept a correct focus on becaming Christ-like, and churches that focus mainly in salvation
- division between churches that rely on faith hope and charity, and churches that rely only on faith.
- division between churches that worship God in a liturgical way, and churches that use contemporary worship
- division between churches that teach mortification and mistic ascesis, and churches that look for feeling in prayers
interesting how when you compare each point it clearly shows your negative opinion of the latter :)

but anyway, I like this part of the OP best:
Observing the Sabbath is more a state of mind and a heart condition than a code of behavior. That which causes the believer to honor, draw near to, magnify, rest in, meditate on, or delight in the Lord should be acceptable on the Sabbath.
Kind of makes me want to wind my clock back and experience Shabbat all over again. I didn't sanctify the day as I should have and I missed out because of my lack of discipline. Missed out on a lot of joy and learning, i bet! Praise be to G-d who allows us times of rest and rejuvenation when we can meet with Him and let the profane and the worldy pass away.... it's certainly a journey.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟38,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
interesting how when you compare each point it clearly shows your negative opinion of the latter :)

Well, I never tryed to negate that.;)

I means that to go to church the saturday vs the sunday, or to keep for God only the saturday vs the sunday, it is not so important.

The important is to go to church once a week (to pray Christ Risen) and to keep for God a whole day.

We, in Catholic Church, have lots of completly different Rites (well...all sunday based), so such a difference could be considered light.

But for sure it is not the saturday vs suanday that forbids us the inter-communion with SDA: the reason is mainly the first point in my list.

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I never tryed to negate that.;)

I means that to go to church the saturday vs the sunday, or to keep for God only the saturday vs the sunday, it is not so important.

The important is to go to church once a week (to pray Christ Risen) and to keep for God a whole day.....

:D Good one a_ntv!

Now, my friend, where does it say to go to church once a week? :sorry: Because I'm often in church 3-4 times a week for services and worship! :D

I should add also that I've benefited spiritually from reserving the Sabbath for the Lord and even going to church on Sunday. It's all good! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
✟13,683.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As far as I'm concerned - You can go to Church any day of the week you wish. That still doesn't mean that the Sabbath day has Changed from Saturday to any of those days. The Sabbath has been, and always will be on Saturday, the seventh day. Not the first.

Good post jbgtcotlg.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟38,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
:D Good one a_ntv!

Now, my friend, where does it say to go to church once a week? :sorry: Because I'm often in church 3-4 times a week for services and worship! :D

I should add also that I've benefited spiritually from reserving the Sabbath for the Lord and even going to church on Sunday. It's all good! :thumbsup:

Yes, catholic churches have Masses (Eucharist) every day, and are usuallly open all day to let people go in for pray.
And obviously we are requested to pray every day

But during the week it is facultative, while on sunday it is mandatory: if you do not go to Mass on Sunday you make a heavy sin (please not that the Sunday starts saturday about 5pm).
Why? Because as Jesus after his risen appeared every seven days (every sunday), so we shall meet every sunday.

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mat.15:3 Jesus replied, "And why do you, by your traditions, violate the direct commandments of God?

I am finally coming around to realizing it is not legalism to worship God according to the forth commandment of God. It is a wonderful invitation to rest with Him that day and enjoy Him and His work. The Pharisees added all the legalism to it as does tradition, today, that would condemn others who worship God in spirit and in truth all the time... I think Jesus wanted us to avoid legalism by saying to us to beware the leaven of the Pharisees, but not to disobey the commandments of God. The Pharisees were also very quick to close up the gates of heaven to those who did not do as they did.

Mt 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Mt 16:11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Mt 23:13 ¶ But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of Heaven before men; for you do not enter, nor do you allow those entering to go in.
Mt 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he is become so, ye make him twofold more a son of hell than yourselves.

Mt 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye tithe mint and anise and cummin, and have left undone the weightier matters of the law, justice, and mercy, and faith: but these ye ought to have done, and not to have left the other undone.
24 Blind guides, straining out the gnat, but swallowing the camel!

Lu 11:46 And he said, Woe unto you lawyers also! for ye load men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do Not Pass Judgment on One Another

14:1 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. 2 One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. 3 Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. 4 Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master [1] that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
5 One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
10 Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; 11 for it is written,
“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
and every tongue shall confess [2] to God.”

12 So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.
Do Not Cause Another to Stumble

13 Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother. 14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. 15 For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. 16 So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. 19 So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.
20 Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. 21 It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble. [3] 22 The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin. [4]

False teachers would road block or redirect these lessons to their extensive commentary in order to deminish the counsel of God. So, consider these facts written in God's word. The man that observes everyday alike is keeping 7 sabbaths or no sabbath at all, and Paul does not condemn this man in any way, He concludes that each man should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord.

There were Jewish Chistians among these predominantly gentile Galatians so Paul knew well who he was addressing. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

A problem comes up when people force their sabbathkeeping on others and teach that Sunday worship is the mark of the beast. That teaching is from a false prophet because it is contrary to the apostles doctrines.

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

Carey

Contributor
Aug 17, 2006
Texas
✟25,839.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
But if we know the true Sabbath we should find the truth on how "SUN"day
worship made its way into "Christendom" then Modern "Christian " tradition.
Then when we learn the truth we should shre it with all our bretheren and
non-believers alike.
Especially when at Church on SUN day

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
But if we know the true Sabbath we should find the truth on how "SUN"day
worship made its way into "Christendom" then Modern "Christian " tradition.
Then when we learn the truth we should shre it with all our bretheren and
non-believers alike.
Especially when at Church on SUN day

Preach the gospel, because the historical facts are twisted with the same kind of evidence for teaching contrary to the apostolic commission.

Sabbattarian Christain tell myths and twist history just as they do the scriptures. The Catholic Church have to be silent because their authorities have made declaration their members must back up with strong arguments and tradition ad authority of the Church. To put it mildly, their hands are tied. So they look pretty bad claiming authority to change sabbath to sunday. :sigh:

But the bottom line is Christians worship everyday but primarily on the day of the resurrection, it is also a new creation.
it was also the day when Christ ceased from His work and entered His rest.
Regardless the text have presidence over any reason we can give can.

we can trust God's word over any question about the law.............
1Ti 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: [so do].

Tts 3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Upvote 0

ThreeAM

Dec 21, 2005
✟9,667.00
Faith
SDA
Proof Proof Proof

Can anyone show me where God has asked anyone to worship him on Sunday/1st day of the week because of the resurrection? The 1st day resurrection was the fulfillment of First Fruits/Omer and it was not a holy cconvocation it was not a day of rest in fact the firstfruits was the first day of the barley harvest, it was a day of work not rest. The first day of the feast of unleavend bread the only fully 24hr day that Christ "RESTED" in the tomb was a holy convocation a day of rest. Christ did not cease from his work on the first day of the week and enter rest on that day.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.