Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

A Swiss photographer stopped to chat to Sister My-Lan, and her open and sincere responses to his questions make for essential listening.​

ASwiss photographer, Davide Nestola, uses his talent to share human interest stories. So it was wonderful to see him stop and chat to a religious sister who was sitting on a bench.

In a post titled “Portrait of a Sister,” the photographer asked Sr. My-Lan Michaela Nguyen if she wouldn’t mind answering some questions. The religious happily agreed. Her responses were both interesting and surprising.

Nestola firstly asked her how her calling “manifested ” itself — stopping to ask if that was indeed the correct expression to use. After she reassured him that, yes, it was the right word, and that her calling came as a surprise, at a moment in her life when she wasn’t on a “spiritual quest.” She went on to reference St. Augustine, who shared how he’d searched for God everywhere, but eventually found Him inside himself.

Sr. My-Lan also explained that her calling to become a religious sister happened the day she was baptized, that it was “very, very strong,” but she didn’t say “yes” straight away.

A question of doubt​

Continued below.