A refreshing agnosticism

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟129,431.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Catholic Church teaches that the end of the world, or eschatology, is not something that can be predicted or fully understood by human beings. However, the Church does believe in a general outline of the end times, as described in the Bible and in Catholic tradition. This includes the second coming of Christ, the Last Judgment, the resurrection of the dead, and the eventual establishment of a new heaven and a new earth. The Catholic Church also teaches that each person will be judged by God based on their individual actions, and that eternal life in heaven or hell awaits them.

Dispensationalism is a Protestant interpretive system and a major perspective on the Bible that views history as divided into dispensations, or periods of time in which God relates to humanity in different ways. In contrast to the Catholic view, Dispensationalism holds that there will be a future period of tribulation on Earth, followed by a Millennial Reign of Christ, and then the eternal state.

In Dispensationalism, the Church and Israel are considered two distinct groups with separate plans and destinies. The Church is seen as a temporary parenthesis in God's plan for Israel, and the future events of history will be primarily focused on the restoration of Israel and the fulfilment of God's promises to the Jewish people.

The Catholic Church does not accept this distinction between the Church and Israel and views both as part of the same people of God, with the Church being the fulfilment of God's plan for humanity. The Church also does not see the end times as a series of sequential events with a definite timeline, but rather as a general outline of the ultimate destiny of humanity that cannot be fully known or understood.

C
Clare73
That the Church,
God's single purpose for all time and history,
the center of God's plan for creation,
the bride (Son's own body, Eph 5:31-32) he is preparing for his Son,
the fullness (completion!) of Christ (Eph 1:23),
is simply a parenthesis in time
is a staggering misunderstanding of the Bible.
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟123,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
When I was catholic I certainly didn't agree with everything they espoused ....
We know what the church believes ....what do you believe?

I am not a dispensationalist (per se) although I don't see anything objectionable with it. My feeling is that God does distinguish this period we are in as a dispensation (better translated as administration) and by sheer logic if you have one... you must have had one previous to distinguish from this one.... and another after this one unless this is the end..... which we know it is not.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟129,431.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
We know what the church believes ....what do you believe?
It is evident from the contents of posts in CF that many people think they know what the Catholic Church teaches when in fact they do not know what is taught. There is a significant difference between what opponents of Catholic teaching say is Catholic teaching and what Catholic teaching actually is.

As for my own opinions, what value is there is adding one more opinion to the vast sea of differing opinions that exist. My aim is to provide accurate information and civil discussion. Opinions are valuable to those that hold them but they do not provide a sound basis for understanding what is true - unless the opinion happens to coincide with truth.

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟129,431.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am not a dispensationalist (per se) although I don't see anything objectionable with it. My feeling is that God does distinguish this period we are in as a dispensation (better translated as administration) and by sheer logic if you have one... you must have had one previous to distinguish from this one.... and another after this one unless this is the end..... which we know it is not.
The stream of events described in the post quoted above is dependent on the idea that a stream of administrations (of God's covenants?, of arrangements between humanity and God? of what?) exists and that is not known to be true. If what is meant is A stream of time periods then that is true, time does progress, and one can, if one wishes, divide it into periods of whatever kind one desires. None of this endorses dispensationalism in any way.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟199,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, premillenial dispensationalism was unknown before John Nelson Darby introduced it in the 19th century
What do you means as unknown before John Nelson Darby introduced it in the 19 th century ., and surprised that Darby is in the bible ??

If He introduced it can you point as what verse in the bible HE introduced ??

dan p

Last edited:
Upvote 0