Dec 28, 2006
Mesa, Arizona.
✟19,389.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
The Game

"They say that there are many lands and places, some closer than others but none impossible to reach. Some can be seen from a high tower though even with a hawk's eye others that are overlapping where we sit here cannot be seen."

The old, withering man leaned closer to the flame and closer to the boy, the white mop of hair loosely falling over his face before a wispy finger pulled it back. His clothes were hardly better than gray rags, and the way they hung from his body could be likened to the way a scarecrow wore its garments. A single aged and weary hand reached from the folds of gray and drew a pattern on the ground with a nearby stick.

Six lines in the dirt, all intersecting at a common point. "They say there are twelve such places, twelve unique lands." He paused to point with the stick to each line. The boy watched, wide-eyed and captivated. This was before the time in which video games and cell phones had existed--or possibly after. They were in all respect alien devices that held a child's attention from more intriguing idealisms. "All of these meet at one point in time," the old man pointed to the center point, "and all of these revolve around this single spot."

The boy nodded solemnly, understanding perfectly the story that the man had told several times that day alone. And he would continue to hear the story again and again, without fail, never ceasing in repetition. For the man would forever speak and the boy forever listen.
All stories have a beginning, and this story is no exception. The city of Bethany is a maze of buildings and structures, some only a single floor while others tower with immense size and cover the sun. Some say that the city was not built by human hands, for no human mind could have concieved the wonderous architecture. Be that as it may, the reason each and every one of you has gathered here is as human as any other. Greed, selfishness, revenge... it is all meaningless until now.

Were you to walk down Center Street during the day you would spy several passersby passively going about their each and every way. A little stiff, you might regard with interest, but none would answer should you speak the words aloud. Touch a person and you greeted with a placcid appeal, and nothing more than slight, whispered responses lacking any fluidity.

Here, there is no such thing as emotion. Thoughts are kept in the box of the mind, distant and disconnected though always there. Words are few and never more than whispers.

This is home. Bethany.
Welcome. This is a story about fate and folly, of dreams and damnation, of revenge and retribution. It is a story about remembering and forgetting, and about the ties that bring us all together. In some ways it is fickle and careless but in others it is carefully drawn and so eloquently sculpted.

It is a blend of many genres. I consider it mainly post-apocalyptic fantasy with horror elements, though romance is going to be a large factor throughout. As far as the world goes, it is also heavily fantasy driven with a slight touch of suprises, though the driving factor is fantasy.

Race, Technology, and Magic: As far as race goes, only human is allowed. Technology is shared with that of standard fantasy and medieval eras. Magic is an elegant force controlled by reading passages called spells from a book and sorcery is a simpler force dealing with the manipulation of energies within a person using his mind. Both of these are useful for later, but a character with these traits will not start with these abilities at first.

Origin: You have all been born here in Bethany, and that is all you know. Outside Bethany is nothing, and nearly no one really has thoughts to leave. The only exceptions to this are those who have possessed thoughts of what lies on the outside, a small fire of curiosity. These people include the players.

You may have been born in Bethany, or you may be a prisoner. This means that you were once a living, breathing, normal person...captured and made emotionless, and stripped of any intense passions or dreams. Magic books would have been stripped from you, and since your memories are washed out sorcery is of no use at the present time.

Creating a Character: When you create your character, think him or her through. Detail your fears, dreams, desires, and general emotions.

When you create the character, post the link to your character thread here. I want name, description, brief history, etc. If you were born in Bethany and have no outside history, you can just say that and be done with it. Otherwise I want the story. I want your characters personality. Al the detail you can think of, because yes, it will become important.

The thread will be up soon, as soon an appropriate number of players have been found. POST here if you have any questions or if you have any interest whatsoever in the game. I'm looking for players who are devoted, and I'm talking around three posts a week. If you can't do that, but have other suggestions, bring em!

Welcome to the game, and I hope you enjoy yourselves! :)

EDIT:

As players join, I'll record them here. This includes anyone who just posted showing interest, so not all of these may eventually join.

Brilliand -- Roderick Truman
Mountaindog -- Martin Lintchfeld
Nella Fantasia -- Edmund Danelea
Paladin Dave -- Gilead Leonviet
Shadowseldil -- Zelos Ridlew
Tonaki -- Sai Oinori
LUColt27 -- Ethan Tomas

GodFlute2 -- Ami Harris
Lady Knight -- Annabelle Lee Hawthorn (Belle)
MissCellaFane -- Lucilla Collins (Lucy)

LightofHeaven -- pending
http://www.christianforums.com/t7478768/#post55092707

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvengard

The Bard of Many Tales
Dec 28, 2006
Mesa, Arizona.
✟19,389.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Bethany will just be the starting area, then everyone will pretty much be leaving at first.

If it still matters, then it is pretty much like Bree (from Lord of the Rings) mixed with skyscrapers and the like. However, it looks drab in comparison, and everything could even be said to be slightly tinged gray if you study it close enough. Its a drab and dreary place, at least for those of us who don't live there. The people who live there are essentially robots, for a lack of a better word. Zombies? They all just mill around doing what they do, because there's not much else to. Its very simple and incoherent in a way.

More or less, when the game starts, we are all heading out. There's a chance we might be back, but in the most common case Bethany is only the starting square. Does that answer your question?

Upvote 0

GodFlute2

I will be even MORE undignified for the Lord
Nov 16, 2004
church
Visit site
✟28,896.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm trying to figure out what to include in a character history. What does life look like? Do they have bars and pubs or does everyone eat in their own house with their own family? Do they have jobs? How do you mix Bree and skyscrapers?

Upvote 0

Sylvengard

The Bard of Many Tales
Dec 28, 2006
Mesa, Arizona.
✟19,389.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Well if your character is from Bethany, you don't really need to say anything because its almost not important. Basic things like the profession and trade, etc. Families, gathering places, social whatevers, are irrelevant, if only because of the lack of any emotion.

If your character is from outside, you pretty much have free rein to say anything you want in the background.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tonaki

Is weird... Hey! thats not nice...
Apr 9, 2010
✟7,658.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am interested in joining, I am going to have to write up a character also... So it may take me a little a bit different process in this game.

Edit

christianforums.com/t7475879/#post54989418

Here's my character... Everything ok? 5 more post till I can link it

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

GodFlute2

Nov 16, 2004
church
Visit site
✟28,896.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well if your character is from Bethany, you don't really need to say anything because its almost not important. Basic things like the profession and trade, etc. Families, gathering places, social whatevers, are irrelevant, if only because of the lack of any emotion.

If your character is from outside, you pretty much have free rein to say anything you want in the background.
That creates a very shallow character. It would immensely help me to play a character the more I know about them.

Upvote 0

Sylvengard

The Bard of Many Tales
Dec 28, 2006
Mesa, Arizona.
✟19,389.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm. I don't know how to explain it.

In Bethany, the only people who are there are simply people put there by whatever government owns the city. No getting in, no getting out. A procedure by magic makes all inhabitants "emotionless". They have no real thoughts, they are literally walking zombie people. They are mahcines told to do this and do that. A person may be a blacksmith, but only because the government told them to do it. Its not like he cares one way or the other anyway.

What you'll find out at the beginning of the game is that so many of them are being called forward to leave, and these are the ones that are closer to sanity than most of the others. They will be restored and emotions will return, and thus the character.

What I have been trying to say is that Bethany in and of itself has little to do with the character. When they get out, all they will remember is that they didn't like it. It was like being in a box and not being able to get out, but they dont remember much of it. If they lived elsewhere and were captured in a raid, then made a resident of Bethany, they will remember a little of the life before, but nothing significant. Background is less important as actual emotion and personality. I'm just trying to tell you that the city life and the outside life are separate.

@Tonaki: Good character. Just keep in mind that any like or dislike, as well as any passion to leave or stay are all emotions. The character is just a shell right now, until he leaves, at which point he still remembers little more than a blur (because he was born there).

I know this is a little strange, but I guess thats how the world is. Memories are to be created at the present time and onward, not in the past of these characters' lives.

Upvote 0

GodFlute2

Nov 16, 2004
church
Visit site
✟28,896.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ok. That helps a lot. Thanks. In order to create a character I have to have a background. Whether the character remembers that background is another story, but it does help me play the character. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sylvengard

The Bard of Many Tales
Dec 28, 2006
Mesa, Arizona.
✟19,389.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
@Tonaki: He won't really remember much anything about the city except for a blurry something. So no, not really. I'd say focus more on his personality.

@GodFlute2: Weapons, no, but you could give a preference. If he did something with weapons beforehand, then you can give a preference. (They'll be set to go before they leave)

@Light: Haha I knew this was all gonna go down like this for everyone. Its like telling a bunch of writers to not write. XD But its only temporary. You'll see.

Upvote 0

GodFlute2

Nov 16, 2004
church
Visit site
✟28,896.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ok, so we're in a Bree type world and don't need weapons? I'm gonna quote Eowyn here and say "those without swords can still die upon them." This really isn't matching up. I can make a character with what you've given. Here's what I've got do far:
Ami Harris
Human
Short Black Hair
Grey Eyes
Green Shirt
Black Pants
Black Shoes
No Emotions
No Memories
No Personality
No Weapon

An good opening scene would make creating a character a lot easier.
Not to sound like I'm ranting and raving or anything. I don't mean to, but trying to put all the pieces together and they're not fitting very well.

Upvote 0

Sylvengard

The Bard of Many Tales
Dec 28, 2006
Mesa, Arizona.
✟19,389.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Maybe there is a better way for me to put this... Create a personality and emotions for your character. What I mean is that while in Bethany, they are...under a spell? We are leaving Bethany very early in the game.

Initially, I could have just started people at the city gates with no memories, but people always yell at me when I do things like that, so here is your prologue. If you'd rather just start the game right of, let me know, and we can just do that. I wanted to avoid complaints and give a reason as to why.

Upvote 0