Feb 24, 2007
✟14,230.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...kenhorn19-2008sep19,0,6057126.story?track=rss

David Blankenhorn published an op-ed in the Los Angeles Times

“I’m a liberal Democrat. And I do not favor same-sex marriage. Do those positions sound contradictory? To me, they fit together. Many seem to believe that marriage is simply a private love relationship between two people. …I spent a year studying the history and anthropology of marriage, and I’ve come to a different conclusion. Marriage as a human institution is constantly evolving… But there is one constant. In all societies, marriage shapes the rights and obligations of parenthood. Among us humans, the scholars report, marriage is not primarily a license … to receive benefits or social recognition. It is primarily a license to have children.

Marriage (and only marriage) unites the three core dimensions of parenthood -- biological, social and legal -- into one pro-child form: the married couple. …But until very recently, almost no one denied this core fact about marriage. ...In 2002 -- just moments before it became highly unfashionable to say so -- a team of researchers from Child Trends, a nonpartisan research center, reported that ‘family structure clearly matters for children, and the family structure that helps children the most is a family headed by two biological parents in a low-conflict marriage.’ …

Every child being raised by gay or lesbian couples will be denied his birthright to both parents who made him. Every single one. Moreover, losing that right will not be a consequence of something that at least most of us view as tragic, such as a marriage that didn’t last, or an unexpected pregnancy where the father-to-be has no intention of sticking around. …For me, what we are encouraged or permitted to say, or not say, to one another about what our society owes its children is crucially important in the debate… Do you think that every child deserves his mother and father…? …Do you imagine that biological ties matter to children? …If you do, be careful. In making the case for same-sex marriage, more than a few grown-ups will be quite willing to question your integrity and goodwill. Children, of course, are rarely consulted.

…Legalized same-sex marriage almost certainly benefits those same-sex couples who choose to marry… But changing the meaning of marriage to accommodate homosexual orientation further and perhaps definitively undermines for all of us the very thing -- the gift, the birthright -- that is marriage’s most distinctive contribution to human society. That’s a change that, in the final analysis, I cannot support.”

Thanks,
TT

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That person's position is simply illogical. It's based on the belief that legalizing homosexual marriage somehow harms heterosexual marriages, and prevents them from raising children, but that's not true.

Upvote 0

Forgiven_and_Redeemed

Sep 28, 2008
✟344.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That person's position is simply illogical. It's based on the belief that legalizing homosexual marriage somehow harms heterosexual marriages, and prevents them from raising children, but that's not true.

Believe it or not, I agree. There are many compelling arguments against same-sex marriage. This isn't one of them.

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Back in May, texastig tried initiating this exact same thread. At that time, however, he linked to a page which, if you subscribed to the parent organization, loaded a copy of a "review" of Blankenhorn's book. For most of us, clicking on the link brought up a mostly blank page. So, at best we got a second or third-hand interpretation of the original claim. Still, there was enough of Blankenhorn's "philosophy" to show that he spoke for no one but himself.

Upvote 0

texastig

The diablo is in the phone booth dialing 911
Feb 24, 2007
✟14,230.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Back in May, texastig tried initiating this exact same thread. At that time, however, he linked to a page which, if you subscribed to the parent organization, loaded a copy of a "review" of Blankenhorn's book. For most of us, clicking on the link brought up a mostly blank page. So, at best we got a second or third-hand interpretation of the original claim. Still, there was enough of Blankenhorn's "philosophy" to show that he spoke for no one but himself.

I didn't try, I did it and it's not the exact same thread. I don't know what your talking about having to 'subscribe' to a parent organization. I read the story at the link and the story is still there and you don't have to 'subscribe'.
Blankenhorn speaks for lots of people. Just because you disagree with him doesn't mean 'for no one but himself'.
Your just mad because he's right.
Thanks,
TT

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't try, I did it and it's not the exact same thread. I don't know what your talking about having to 'subscribe' to a parent organization. I read the story at the link and the story is still there and you don't have to 'subscribe'.
Blankenhorn speaks for lots of people. Just because you disagree with him doesn't mean 'for no one but himself'.
Your just mad because he's right.
Thanks,
TT (emph. added)

...or there's some setting on his computer that keeps him from seeing the article? :confused:
tulc(thinks we should never assume malice for something that can be explained by a glitch) :sorry:

Upvote 0

texastig

The diablo is in the phone booth dialing 911
Feb 24, 2007
✟14,230.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
...or there's some setting on his computer that keeps him from seeing the article? :confused:
tulc(thinks we should never assume malice for something that can be explained by a glitch) :sorry:

It could be his internet browser. DNS could be bad. It could be a data pipe that's bad. It could be spyware,
etc...

Thanks,
TT

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums