Wild Boar Inn

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟110,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh sure. Everyone immediately turns this into the alcoholic beverage forum. eye roll. Just a playful jab. During my master's program I wrote a paper about the importance of beer to German culture.

But other than that, I'm more interested in sports than alcohol as a small talk topic. At the moment I'm grieving the decline of my Chiefs. It was nice while it lasted ... But I guess we could mix the two. In my college paper there was some discussion of how much money Anheuser-Busch pumped into the St. Louis Cardinals ... Hmm. Maybe mentioning them wasn't a good idea given the recent Budweiser marketing debacle.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟753,127.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Oh sure. Everyone immediately turns this into the alcoholic beverage forum. eye roll. Just a playful jab. During my master's program I wrote a paper about the importance of beer to German culture.

But other than that, I'm more interested in sports than alcohol as a small talk topic. At the moment I'm grieving the decline of my Chiefs. It was nice while it lasted ... But I guess we could mix the two. In my college paper there was some discussion of how much money Anheuser-Busch pumped into the St. Louis Cardinals ... Hmm. Maybe mentioning them wasn't a good idea given the recent Budweiser marketing debacle.
All I know is martial arts, a little Premier League and rugby.

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟110,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All I know is martial arts, a little Premier League and rugby.
Rugby got some recognition in American football this year. There are several rules in American football that prevent it from turning into a rugby match, but the Philadelphia Eagles brought in a rugby expert and they designed a play that met all the rules but looks almost like a scrum. It has been extremely successful for them - almost unstoppable at the moment - and has been named "The Brotherly Shove" by sports announcers, which is a play on words since Philadelphia is known as the City of Brotherly Love.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟572,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
martial arts
I told my daughters I would sign them up for martial arts classes at the mall. There's a Gracie Allegiance jiu jitsu school in it and they've recently rented out the back gym to a karate instructor. If I take them to the 5:30 p.m. classes on Monday they can go at the same time but the older girl will get karate and the younger will get jiu jitsu.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟753,127.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I told my daughters I would sign them up for martial arts classes at the mall. There's a Gracie Allegiance jiu jitsu school in it and they've recently rented out the back gym to a karate instructor. If I take them to the 5:30 p.m. classes on Monday they can go at the same time but the older girl will get karate and the younger will get jiu jitsu.
Very cool.

BJJ is all the rage and has been for a long time now. I started training as a child in the late 80s eventually earning my nidan in karate and competed in Judo and boxing as well. I have a small dojo with about 40 students.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟753,127.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Rugby got some recognition in American football this year. There are several rules in American football that prevent it from turning into a rugby match, but the Philadelphia Eagles brought in a rugby expert and they designed a play that met all the rules but looks almost like a scrum. It has been extremely successful for them - almost unstoppable at the moment - and has been named "The Brotherly Shove" by sports announcers, which is a play on words since Philadelphia is known as the City of Brotherly Love.
Didn't know that, I like the 7s tournaments, a lot of action packed into a shorter playing time.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟408,202.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Martial arts, huh? I've had the joy of helping to plant and consecrate a ministry in Korea and our excellent Deacon in charge there is a Jiujitsu blackbelt and trainer. The congregation gathers at his gym for liturgical worship, and it's quite a sight! It's wonderful to see all the teens and young adults, guys and gals, eager to receive the gift of God's Word. I'm very excited about the future of their church. If you like martial arts and liturgical worship *, I think you would be right at home there, but alas, it's in Korea and in Korean.

* I have it on good authority they don't fight during the services :)

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟783,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to do some martial arts when I was in college. I did Shotokan Karate and Wing Chun kung fu. I only got to orange belt in karate at that time. My son does karate and is currently an orange belt, he starts competition this month. I would like to get back into some form of martial art in the near future, I do enjoy it. My health precludes doing any sort of physical contact, however.

On a side note I enjoy watching pro-wrestling with the WWE and AEW.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟572,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
There are 3 independent wrestling companies that run shows in the county seat just North of me. I've gone to shows by 2 of them. The third is too violent to take kids too. I don't enjoy the hardcore style and watching people get slammed through tables and glass and thumb tacks, barbwire etc.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟783,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are 3 independent wrestling companies that run shows in the county seat just North of me. I've gone to shows by 2 of them. The third is too violent to take kids too. I don't enjoy the hardcore style and watching people get slammed through tables and glass and thumb tacks, barbwire etc.
Cool, I have been to several of the WWE NXT Live events around here, as well as one AEW Dynamite last summer. I totally agree, I find the tacks, tables, etc. to be just 'too much'. I also don't care for any of the absolutely ridiculous characters like Abandon (AEW), Black Taurus (TNA/Impact/AEW), or those things, it is just not my thing.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟572,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I took my kids to a WWE Live event, a house show, at the arena in Wheeling, West Virginia about a year ago. It's a smaller arena that they probably would not consider for a televised event in this day and age. It was a Thursday night as I recall and most of the wrestlers were not feeling it. Nothing to do with the crowd; a WV crowd is always lively. Braun Strowman and Gunther were the only guys who put in more than a D+ effort. The tickets were only $16-17 for the mezzanine level, which weren't bad seats, or I would have been more frustrated. The set was too flashy and the music was overly loud. It bothered my kids a bit. The most disappointing thing, though, was the card was almost exactly the same as what they aired on the next episode of Smackdown. Overall, I don't think I'd go to another one of their events unless it was one of the pay-per-views.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟783,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I took my kids to a WWE Live event, a house show, at the arena in Wheeling, West Virginia about a year ago. It's a smaller arena that they probably would not consider for a televised event in this day and age. It was a Thursday night as I recall and most of the wrestlers were not feeling it. Nothing to do with the crowd; a WV crowd is always lively. Braun Strowman and Gunther were the only guys who put in more than a D+ effort. The tickets were only $16-17 for the mezzanine level, which weren't bad seats, or I would have been more frustrated. The set was too flashy and the music was overly loud. It bothered my kids a bit. The most disappointing thing, though, was the card was almost exactly the same as what they aired on the next episode of Smackdown. Overall, I don't think I'd go to another one of their events unless it was one of the pay-per-views.
Oh man, nah, the NXT Live events are really low key, they hold them in small community centers locally in Florida and sometimes southern Georgia. They bring in folding chairs for the seated areas, but mostly it is standing and you are very close to the ring no matter where you are. In Largo (near Tampa) they had maybe 150 seats at a small community center. They don't broadcast the events, they are a mix of really green WWE talent and the top NXT wrestlers. I have been to two and they were done really well, the wrestlers and crowd were really into it. The last one of last year had most of the top NXT wrestlers, I doubt the main roster ever come to these events. The wrestlers often mingle with the crowd before or after their match, so you can usually meet them if you know who to look for as they wear regular street clothes when they are not in the ring. Standing tickets are only $10, seats are $20 with no service or ticket fees as it is not Ticketmaster and parking is also free. Snacks and drinks are cheap, $5 beer, $2 water and soda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟572,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Sports: There is an area school that just won their 4th straight girls basketball conference championship. I occasionally went over that way to fill in at Grace Lutheran. They finished the regular season 20-0.

There's another school somewhat South of that one but in the same conference. Their boy's team won the championship for the first time since 1958!

Both of those schools are in the same conference as the school my daughters attend. I'm happy for both of them, as a chap who went to school that was smaller and didn't win many championships.

Last of all, there is a girl wrestler at my daughter's school who they are inspired by. This girl went on something of an ironman streak at the sectional tournament and won 5 bouts in a day. She won female athlete of the week from the local newspaper. I think she gets an automatic invite to Columbus for the State meet but the girl's wrestling division is so new they are making the rules up as they go at times.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟572,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Sports: There is an area school that just won their 4th straight girls basketball conference championship. I occasionally went over that way to fill in at Grace Lutheran. They finished the regular season 20-0.

There's another school somewhat South of that one but in the same conference. Their boy's team won the championship for the first time since 1958!

Both of those schools are in the same conference as the school my daughters attend. I'm happy for both of them, as a chap who went to school that was smaller and didn't win many championships.

Last of all, there is a girl wrestler at my daughter's school who they are inspired by. This girl went on something of an ironman streak at the sectional tournament and won 5 bouts in a day. She won female athlete of the week from the local newspaper. I think she gets an automatic invite to Columbus for the State meet but the girl's wrestling division is so new they are making the rules up as they go at times.
I stand corrected. Sheridan High School (named for the Civil War general of that name) has won the girl's basketball championship for 8 years straight.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟753,127.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
1707754114027.png

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟572,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I must confess, I dislike pancakes. This stems from a time when my brother was 5 or 6, didn't eat well, and was markedly underweight. Dad would cook whatever he would actually eat for breakfast and he asked for pancakes for at least 2 months straight. And Dad wouldn't cook 2 different things. I was sick of pancakes and finally he caved and bought me Poptarts near the end of that ordeal. So I generally look for an out to the Shrove Tuesday pancake supper.

Upvote 0