Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've had bad experience online. So please forgive my weakness.
No worries! It’s okay. We all have our crosses to bear. You’ve been very honest, kind, and handling things well imo.

Reactions: HopeSings
Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I'll get to that hobby today. God willing. I need to climb out if this hole I'm in. This has been a difficult winter for me.

I have plans on building a forging tool that i can use. I should have enough scrap metal to get er' done.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I started building a blacksmithing tool out of steel that I have laying around. I ran out of mig welding tips though and need to get more tips. I go through those frequently. I'm not the best welder and it's mostly in my poor technique I believe..

But I got started. I'm thankful. I've wanted to do this all winter. I've waited patently and I went t through some difficult things as well. I need to focus my mind on this hobby to get it off of negative things. I need to heal I think.

It's all I have. I need to grow a garden as well but I'm not sure if I'm up to that task. Tilling the ground takes more strength than I have right now. I start out slow and build strength hopefully. God willing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I founds half a dozen mig welding tips and I noticed that I still have a little propane for the forge. I can finish welding up my blacksmithing tool and might be able to forge something as well.

I would like to build a forge that uses wood or charcoal instead of propane. And I would like to get free wood for fuel. If God is willing, then I will.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,756,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I founds half a dozen mig welding tips and I noticed that I still have a little propane for the forge. I can finish welding up my blacksmithing tool and might be able to forge something as well.

I would like to build a forge that uses wood or charcoal instead of propane. And I would like to get free wood for fuel. If God is willing, then I will.
I have an unlimited supply of free wood living in the woods. There is always something falling to use.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have an unlimited supply of free wood living in the woods. There is always something falling to useuse

I had a wood burning forge once. I gave it away. I need another. I can get pallets and trees if I look around.

For charcoal, hardwood like oak for example, is preferred. But if I burn wood instead of charcoal it's best to use pine wood because it burns faster and turns into coals faster than hardwoods. I built a vented hood for my forge to cut down on the heat.

I got the idea from this guys forge that he sells. I built mine out of scrap metal. It wasn't as nice as his but it worked. It's the Whitlox forge

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you use cinders and/or volcanic rock?
If you build a gas propane forge you need fire brick. The heat will destroy concrete block. You should use special soft insulating bricks. The work will get hotter and you will save a lot of fuel with insulating bricks. Propane forges eat fuel quickly

For my wood/charcoal burning forge I should have used hard non insulating fire bricks but I used brick morter instead. It worked.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love the blacksmithing hobby but I think I'll also make wooden bird houses and other type crafts. I have some carpentry experience

Maybe ill try wooden spoon carving as well. I don't need a woosdhop with big expensive tools. I can do a lot with my hand held circular saw and a hand held router. I love simplicity.

I want to build a simple woodworking bench that I can move outside and use to build things in the sunlight and outdoors.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0