Midwest
✟81,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The state of our country, the moral state of our people. And the coming holidays, which I think highlight the problems of the previous two and how we've become a nation of materialism and greed more so than one of charity and generosity and compassion. Where what we want becomes the obsession, rather than what we need. Where it's easier to ignore people with a frown or by staring at a cell phone rather than take the initiative and offer a smile and a comment. Where ours might be the only kind word a person receives during the day. I could go on but won't. :)

I guess those thoughts come from the sermon given by our interim pastor yesterday, from Matthew 6. Don't lay up treasures on earth.... for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. He made the statement that what we talk about and where we go says what's most important to us. That's very thought provoking in this day and age.

Was Amish the name brand, or was it baked from an Amish recipe? What did it look and taste like? The Amish, like everyone else, have various recipes for pumpkin pies. I know some don't use pumpkin pie spices, which would make a big difference.

As a personal preference I'd rather have sweet potato pie!
It was at a restaurant which hires Amish cooks---no brand name. The filling color wasn't orange and if any spices were used, it may have been only cinnamon. It was boring.

Sweet potato pie makes me laugh, because my mother never served sweet potatoes. I love them, but not compared to pumpkin pie. What's not to love about sweet potatoes?!!! When I served ham, I always had sweet potatoes as a side dish, not Irish potatoes. OOPS! I didn't know Mom had an aversion to sweet potatoes that time she visited. I wasn't paying attention either. I wonder if she ate them. So one time she called me to say that she was upset that she had accidentally bought sweet potato pie instead of pumpkin.

Your pastor's sermon sounds wonderful.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
@godisagardener

I found this online which makes me think it had only cinnamon:

Traditional Amish Pumpkin Pie​

• 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 rounded tablespoon flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 /4 cup cream
  • 1 cup pumpkin
But there was no photo.

Only one cup of pumpkin might have been the reason the filling wasn't orange or maybe it was the brown sugar. I like cinnamon, ginger and cloves: I doubt if my mother used all three. And my mother only ever bought white sugar. Mother NEVER bought cream.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@godisagardener

• 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 /4 cup cream
  • 1 cup pumpkin
But there was no photo.

Only one cup of pumpkin might have been the reason the filling wasn't orange or maybe it was the brown sugar. I like cinnamon, ginger and cloves: I doubt if my mother used all three. And my mother only ever bought white sugar. Mother NEVER bought cream.
Speaking of recipes, I found this one in 2021, and it turns out good 90% of the time:

The recipe for one-banana banana bread is a quick and easy way to make banana bread with just one ripe banana. The recipe uses common ingredients that most people already have in their pantry, and it bakes up moist and sweet with a decadent cinnamon sugar crust. Here are the ingredients and instructions. The units are in imperial, but can be converted to metric using an online calculator if need be.

Ingredients:
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ⅓ cup walnuts (chopped, optional)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
  2. In a medium-size mixing bowl, mash the banana. Then stir in the egg, vanilla extract, and olive oil.
  3. Add the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt to the bowl. Stir until just combined.
  4. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
  5. Pour the batter into a greased 8x4 inch loaf pan.
  6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
  7. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and slicing it.
This recipe is perfect for those who only have one ripe banana and want to make a small batch of banana bread. It's also a great way to use up a brown banana that might otherwise go to waste.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Speaking of recipes, I found this one in 2021, and it turns out good 90% of the time:

The recipe for one-banana banana bread is a quick and easy way to make banana bread with just one ripe banana. The recipe uses common ingredients that most people already have in their pantry, and it bakes up moist and sweet with a decadent cinnamon sugar crust. Here are the ingredients and instructions. The units are in imperial, but can be converted to metric using an online calculator if need be.

Ingredients:
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
Instructions:
  2. In a medium-size mixing bowl, mash the banana. Then stir in the egg, vanilla extract, and olive oil.
  3. Add the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt to the bowl. Stir until just combined.
  6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
  7. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and slicing it.
This recipe is perfect for those who only have one ripe banana and want to make a small batch of banana bread. It's also a great way to use up a brown banana that might otherwise go to waste.
Thanks. I love bananas in everything!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Ingredients:
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
Instructions:

Thanks for posting this recipe, Alex! I don't think I've ever put brown sugar in a banana bread, but I plan to try this next time I have an extra banana. I bet I can use pecans instead of walnuts. ;)

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for posting this recipe, Alex! I don't think I've ever put brown sugar in a banana bread, but I plan to try this next time I have an extra banana. I bet I can use pecans instead of walnuts. ;)
You're welcome. And you can use pecans. I have even added cocoa powder to the recipe (two spoonfuls). Brown sugar is what it calls for. Less processed compared to white sugar.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
@godisagardener

• 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 /4 cup cream
  • 1 cup pumpkin
But there was no photo.

Here's one that actually uses pumpkin pie spices. It looks interesting but doesn't get many stars from two reviews.

Pumpkin Pie, Amish Recipe, Delicious!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Violence on earth reminds me of this poem:​

Christmas Bells​

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
1807 –1882
I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along
The unbroken song
Till ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime,
A chant sublime
Then from each black, accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
And with the sound
The carols drowned
It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,
And made forlorn
The households born
And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men."
This poem is in the public domain.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine—then still part of Massachusetts—on February 27, 1807, the second son in a family of eight children. His mother, Zilpah Wadsworth, was the daughter of a Revolutionary War hero. His father, Stephen Longfellow, was a prominent Portland lawyer and later a member of Congress.
About Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Themes
Public Domain

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Here's one that actually uses pumpkin pie spices. It looks interesting but doesn't get many stars from two reviews.

Pumpkin Pie, Amish Recipe, Delicious!
Thanks; now I see the differences.

Here's what I like:

granulated sugar (no brown sugar)
1 tsp. cinnamon,
1/2 tsp. salt,
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
Don't separate yolks and whites.

I remember my mom saying she doesn't like cloves. I do.

So the main problem must be the brown sugar. I love brown sugar but not in pumpkin pie.

Do you make chess pie? My Texans did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Violence on earth reminds me of this poem:​

Christmas Bells​

1807 –1882
I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along
The unbroken song
Till ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime,
A chant sublime
Then from each black, accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
And with the sound
The carols drowned
It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,
And made forlorn
The households born
And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men."
This poem is in the public domain.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine—then still part of Massachusetts—on February 27, 1807, the second son in a family of eight children. His mother, Zilpah Wadsworth, was the daughter of a Revolutionary War hero. His father, Stephen Longfellow, was a prominent Portland lawyer and later a member of Congress.
About Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Themes
Public Domain

I remember this. A song was made from it. Burl Ives sang it I think.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks; now I see the differences.

Here's what I like:

granulated sugar (no brown sugar)
1 tsp. cinnamon,
1/2 tsp. salt,
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
Don't separate yolks and whites.

I remember my mom saying she doesn't like cloves. I do.

So the main problem must be the brown sugar. I love brown sugar but not in pumpkin pie.

Do you make chess pie? My Texans did.

My grandmother made chess pie. I've never made one myself, but I do like it. I also like buttermilk pie and raisin pie. Did you know there's a bean pie?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My grandmother made chess pie. I've never made one myself, but I do like it. I also like buttermilk pie and raisin pie. Did you know there's a bean pie?
A bean pie? Sounds weird, but I like meat pies and turkey pot pies. My grandfather LOVED mincemeat pie (loads of raisins). He called it fly pie so we wouldn't ask for any.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I ordered a 365 day devotional for 2024 -- "Truth for Life: 365 Daily Devotions" by Alistair Begg. I like to get a new one each year. Sometimes they work out well, sometimes they're not as good as I'd like.

Anyone have a favorite devotional to share? A yearly or a Christmas?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I ordered a 365 day devotional for 2024 -- "Truth for Life: 365 Daily Devotions" by Alistair Begg. I like to get a new one each year. Sometimes they work out well, sometimes they're not as good as I'd like.

Anyone have a favorite devotional to share? A yearly or a Christmas?
I like them because I have trouble concentrating on an entire book.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I ordered sweat pants because the cold weather is driving me nuts. My daughter is in Florida for a teachers' meeting of some sort. I told her to watch out for the alligators. She said, "Do you remember my high school friend? She lives in Fort Myers now and there was an alligator in her garage!"

YIKES!

Upvote 0