Visit site
✟88,762.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Three Greek words were translated into "hell".

Matthew 10:

28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
hell
γεέννῃ (geennē)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1067: Of Hebrew origin; valley of Hinnom; ge-henna, a valley of Jerusalem, used as a name for the place of everlasting punishment.

At Biblehub, 41 versions translated G1068 as "hell"; 9 used "Gehenna".

Another word that is sometimes translated as "hell" is in (ESV) Matthew 16:

18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
hell
ᾅδου (hadou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 86: Hades, the unseen world. Properly, unseen, i.e. 'Hades' or the place of departed souls.

2 Peter 2:

4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment;
cast [them] into hell,
ταρταρώσας (tartarōsas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5020: To thrust down to Tartarus or Gehenna. From Tartaros; to incarcerate in eternal torment.

At Biblehub, 36 versions translated G5020 as "hell"; 12 used "Tartarus".

The modern concept of hell may be closer to the concept of the lake of fire in Revelation 20:

14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.
There is no single word in the Bible that corresponds exactly to our modern concept of hell.

See also

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟412,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is hell?

The word hell can be traced back only so far as the anglo-saxon word
"helle" or "helan" and it's definition is that of a "hidden place".

There are four words for hell and the translators wrongly used
hell each and every occasion that the words - Hades, Gehenna,
Sheol, and Tartarus, were used in the bible.

Hades, is a greek word for hidden place.
Sheol, is a Hebrew word used for the grave.
Tartarus, was used by Homer, when describing the
subterranean prisons where the "gods" were imprisoned.
Gehenna, was the garbage dump just outside of Jerusalem,
where refuse was burned continually.

Use a bible concordance to find in verses what originally
word is used, only one definition for one word.

By combining all these things together, translators paint a
picture of a subterranean place where fires burned and was
unseen by those living upon the surface of the earth.

Dante's Inferno helped spread this unbiblical idea.

The lake of fire does not yet exist...it will at Judgment Day,
When hell is thrown into the lake of fire.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell G86 were cast into the lake of fire.
This is the second death.

G86
ᾅδης
hadēs
hah'-dace
From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1492; properly unseen, that is,
“Hades” or the place (state) of departed souls: - grave, hell.
Total KJV occurrences: 11

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2010
✟64,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is hell?

The word hell can be traced back only so far as the anglo-saxon word
"helle" or "helan" and it's definition is that of a "hidden place".

There are four words for hell and the translators wrongly used
hell each and every occasion that the words - Hades, Gehenna,
Sheol, and Tartarus, were used in the bible.

Hades, is a greek word for hidden place.
Sheol, is a Hebrew word used for the grave.
Tartarus, was used by Homer, when describing the
subterranean prisons where the "gods" were imprisoned.

Use a bible concordance to find in verses what originally
word is used, only one definition for one word.

By combining all these things together, translators paint a
picture of a subterranean place where fires burned and was
unseen by those living upon the surface of the earth.

Dante's Inferno helped spread this unbiblical idea.

The lake of fire does not yet exist...it will at Judgment Day,
When hell is thrown into the lake of fire.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell G86 were cast into the lake of fire.
This is the second death.

G86
ᾅδης
hadēs
hah'-dace
From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1492; properly unseen, that is,
“Hades” or the place (state) of departed souls: - grave, hell.
Total KJV occurrences: 11

2Pe 2:3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
2Pe 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

The bible only mentions Tartaroo once, and it's in conjuction with darkness. Everlasting is incorrect here. The correct translation should be "for the age" or something similar, as it is not everlasting. The reason I can say that, is because I actually know what the verse is saying, and it at about people being tortured forever in fire.

The angels in this verse are only men. Angels means messangers, that is, people bearing a message. The word Tartaroo should translated Hades, which is the NT equivalent of "the grave" The grave is symbolic for the Church. Those who are not spiritually alive are considered to be dead. There are many verses about this. Darkness is always about ignorance and not being about to see. It always means the same thing. Chains is pretty obvious, it just means they are prevented from seeing the truth. This is not permenant, as all men with eventually be saved.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
There is no single word in the Bible that corresponds exactly to our modern concept of hell.
Because our modern concept comes from a book that is a work of fiction.

1. Dante’s “Inferno”:
    • Dante Alighieri’s epic poem “Divine Comedy,” specifically the section called “Inferno,” significantly shaped the popular imagination of hell.
    • Written in the early 14th century, “Inferno” describes a journey through various circles of hell, each representing different sins and punishments.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The word that Jesus uses for hell is Gehenna. While there are other words used in the New Testament, Gehenna is the most common and appears frequently when Jesus discusses the concept of hell. It’s important to note that Gehenna is a symbolic reference to a literal place: the Valley of Hinnom, located just south of Jerusalem. We read about this in Isaiah.

Jesus quotes the verse from Isaiah 66:24. In Mark 9:47-48, Jesus refers to this passage:
Mark was young and impressionable so you can be sure he remembered this teaching well.

“And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.” (Isaiah 66:24 ESV)

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟412,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 10, 2010
✟64,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
what is the second death?

The second death is the resullt of being baptised with fire, which happens in the lake of fire. Just like there are two baptisms, there are two deaths. The first death is of the spirit, the second of the flesh. When the spirit is dead, the flesh is very much alive, but when the flesh is destroyed, the spirit is made alive. Note: the flesh is a mindset, not your physical form.

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
Mat 3:12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

Gal 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

• Haha
Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The lake of fire does not yet exist
We do find a lake of fire in some volcanos. This is the state of elements at the beginning of the earth before the earth began to cool. The elements of course were forged in the furnace of a star.

Stars are the cosmic forges where elements are born, and their fiery cores shape the very fabric of the universe.
1714978737008.png

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟527,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Three Greek words were translated into "hell".

Matthew 10:

hell
γεέννῃ (geennē)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1067: Of Hebrew origin; valley of Hinnom; ge-henna, a valley of Jerusalem, used as a name for the place of everlasting punishment.

At Biblehub, 41 versions translated G1068 as "hell"; 9 used "Gehenna".

Another word that is sometimes translated as "hell" is in (ESV) Matthew 16:

hell
ᾅδου (hadou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 86: Hades, the unseen world. Properly, unseen, i.e. 'Hades' or the place of departed souls.

2 Peter 2:

cast [them] into hell,
ταρταρώσας (tartarōsas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5020: To thrust down to Tartarus or Gehenna. From Tartaros; to incarcerate in eternal torment.

At Biblehub, 36 versions translated G5020 as "hell"; 12 used "Tartarus".

The modern concept of hell may be closer to the concept of the lake of fire in Revelation 20:

See also

One can understand the meaning of the word hell by it's context quite well.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟527,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not your bad at all. I wasn't correcting you at all, however... the lake of fire is about correction and refinement. Also, it's not a literal lake of fire.
Here you, in my belief, go astray. There are 2 usages of the word fire (at least). Only one is refinement. The 2nd death is hell...the lake of fire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟527,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I stated you see the meaning of hell in it's context...if one can accept this.
Some of the aspects of hell...

The worm never dies ( it's eternal)

Cast out of the presence of God, being totally abandoned by Him (remember the words of Jesus...why hast thou forsaken me)

Cast out to outer darkness (see Matthew 25:30)

Eternal torment in the lake of fire ( too many references to list...do a Biblegateway search)

Upvote 0

Qubit

Mar 6, 2024
USA
✟15,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Define hell.

Reincarnation...

"...religions with reincarnation usually depict a hell as an intermediary period between incarnations..."

More here...

and here...

Not a single person on this forum, or any forum, can debunk the above info.

If you folks really cared, you would do the research as I have.

Upvote 0

Qubit

Mar 6, 2024
USA
✟15,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ask anyone on the planet where the Hell of the Christian Bible is located. They will most likely point to the ground and say that Hell is "down there somewhere".

Some teach that Jesus visited Hell after he was crucified. A verse often quoted is this one...

Ephesians 4:9
"Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?"

An example of this teaching may be found in the Apostles' Creed...

...was crucified, died and was buried;
he descended into hell;
on the third day he rose again from the dead...

The 'Harrowing of Hell' goes into more detail...

In Christian theology, the Harrowing of Hell (Latin: Descensus Christi ad Inferos, "the descent of Christ into Hell" or Hades) is the period of time between the Crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection. In triumphant descent, Christ brought salvation to the souls held captive there since the beginning of the world.

Is this accurate? Did Jesus really 'descend into Hell' after being crucified? You should know the answer by now...

Psalms 139:15
"My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth."

Do you see it?

mhp-0703.png

Hell, the Lake of Fire, the Lowest parts of the Earth, etc. is simply euphemism and allegory for where babies come from. In other words, they are all speaking of the Womb of the Earthly Mother.

Jesus did not descend *first* from the Cross. Jesus descended *first* from Heaven...

John 3:13
"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven."

Now compare the above verse to this one...

Ephesians 4:9
"Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?"

They are synonymous. Both verses describe Jesus descending first into the Womb of Mary, the lower parts of the Earth.

Get it? Yes, we have all been lied to by the Church. You should be angry that they did this.

Here is an interesting commentary...

...some interpret this of Christ's descent into hell, which must be understood not locally, but of his enduring the wrath of God for sin, which was equivalent to the torments of hell, and of his being in the state of the dead; but it may rather design the whole of his humiliation, as his descent from heaven and incarnation in the virgin's womb, where his human nature was curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth; and his humbling himself and becoming obedient unto death, even the death of the cross, when he was made sin and a curse for his people, and bore all the punishment due to their transgressions; and his being in Hades, in the state of the dead, in the grave, in the heart of the earth, as Jonah in the whale's belly: reference seems to be had to Psalm 139:15 where "the lower parts of the earth", is interpreted by the Targum on the place of , "his mother's womb"; and so it is by Jarchi, Aben Ezra, Kimchi, and Ben Melec. The Alexandrian copy and the Ethiopic version leave out the word "first" in this clause.

Wake up people.

Upvote 0

Qubit

Mar 6, 2024
USA
✟15,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Tophet. One word. Done...

mhp-0847.png

Tophet = Vesta...

The myths depicting Vesta and her priestesses were few; the most notable of them were tales of miraculous impregnation of a virgin priestess by a phallus appearing in the flames of the sacred hearth — the manifestation of the goddess combined with a male supernatural being.

Tophet, i.e., the Lake of Fire, is the Moment of Conception.

When you people are done patting yourselves on the back and congratulating each other for teaching the BIG LIE that a God of Love tortures people for infinity, or annihilates them, give me a call. The world sees what you are doing and are completely fed up with your hubris and lies. Try stepping out of your Safe Space bubbles and actually communicating with non-Christians. Everyone knows you are full of it, and they are beginning to fight back. They HATE YOU for what you have done. Wake up already. Time is running out.

Upvote 0