WI
✟119,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wish these Bible literalists will make up their minds on the earth's demise.
In other threads it is climate change, let's not do anything about climate warming as the earth's destruction is foretold in the Bible
The climate deniers sadly ignore these verses. A lot of Christians just cherry pick verses that suit them. Supporting big oil is the antithesis of Christianity. Did a verse analysis for Earth Day, and these verses warn us about defiling the earth (pollution).

DateApril 21, 2024
VerseGenesis 2:15: "The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it."

Isaiah 24:4-6: "The earth dries up and withers, the world languishes and withers, the heavens languish with the earth. The earth is defiled by its people; they have disobeyed the laws, violated the statutes and broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore a curse consumes the earth; its people must bear their guilt. Therefore earth’s inhabitants are burned up, and very few are left."

Jeremiah 2:7: "I brought you into a fertile land to eat its fruit and rich produce. But you came and defiled my land and made my inheritance detestable."
ExplanationThese verses from the Bible, Genesis 2:15, Jeremiah 2:7, and Isaiah 24:4-6, speak to the relationship between humanity and the Earth, highlighting our role as stewards and the consequences of disobedience and neglect.

Genesis 2:15 sets the stage for God placing Adam in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it, indicating a divine mandate for humans to tend to the Earth. This responsibility extends beyond just working the land but also involves taking good care of it.

Jeremiah 2:7 emphasizes God's provision of a fertile land for His people to enjoy its fruit and rich produce, but they defiled it instead. This verse serves as a reminder that we are not the owners of the Earth but rather caretakers, and our actions have consequences on the land and future generations.

Isaiah 24:4-6 speaks of the Earth being defiled by its people due to their disobedience and violation of divine laws. The passage suggests a curse upon the Earth, leading to scarcity and destruction. This verse relates to modern issues such as anthropogenic global warming and pollution in that human actions are causing detrimental effects on the Earth, ultimately affecting its ability to sustain life as intended.
Life AnecdoteIn the context of our modern world, these verses call us to be good stewards of the Earth and apply biblical principles to mitigate environmental degradation. Here are some ways we can apply these verses to our lives in 2024:

1. Cultivate a mindset of care and respect for the Earth as God's creation, acknowledging our responsibility to tend to it.
2. Reduce our carbon footprint by using renewable energy sources such as wind and solar and adopting ecological practices in daily life (ex. composting, using energy efficient LED bulbs, riding a bike to the store, driving small fuel-efficient Japanese hybrids/crossovers).
3. Support and advocate for environmentally sustainable policies, including reducing plastic use, promoting recycling, investing in public transport & mixed-use urban developments, and minimizing waste.
4. Practice conservation by preserving natural resources and protecting habitats for various species.
5. Educate ourselves and others about the importance of caring for the Earth as a moral imperative, rather than just an environmental concern.
6. Pray for God's guidance in our efforts to be good stewards of the Earth and ask for His help in overcoming challenges related to caring for creation.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟308,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Since it will come within the orbit of some satellites, what if it hits a satellite, or a satellite hits it and causes it to alter course just enough to be captured by Earth's gravity and its own velocity?

View attachment 347496

View attachment 347497
This image is nonsense. Even if Apophis hit the Earth it would not make a fireball that big. Additionally, the collision with a satellite would have the same impact on the path of Apophis in the same way that a rain drop can knock a cargo ship off course.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So guys, please remember,
This image is nonsense. Even if Apophis hit the Earth it would not make a fireball that big. Additionally, the collision with a satellite would have the same impact on the path of Apophis in the same way that a rain drop can knock a cargo ship off course.
Amen, brother. It is sad how some people get sucked into clickbait where they think the world is gonna end from an asteroid. I like your cargo ship rain drop analogy by the way. :)

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟29,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Bro, the distances in space are so far that the asteroid would most likely not hit a satellite. Trust in the scientists God created here. The majority of astronomers speak the truth, and are peer reviewed, brother. Even if an artificial satellite was knocked out of orbit and into the earth, the satellite would burn up in our thick atmosphere similar to a shooting star, as satellites are small.

TLDR: Apophis is not a threat. We are safe.

And perhaps so, but it is clearly prophesied in scripture that such an event will occur in the last days. Whether comet, or asteroid, or some other large space debris, it will come. These are not things to fear because if we are fearing these things, we are not made perfect in love, nor in faith.

1 John 4:18,
"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."

Today I stood outside Walmart waiting for someone to pick me up, as tornado sirens went off. People ran from the store: one lady yelled "go inside to the back of the store!" A man said, "It doesn't pay to play with mother nature." I said "I trust God, and it's His will what happens!" I observed the mighty tendrils of the dark clouds both to the north, which were not an immediate danger, and to the west, which were advancing upon us.

I've been in tornadoes before. Not IN them as in inside, but had one jump my house, had one shake the house as if an earthquake were happening, and one that sideswipes us, and it took 2 people to push the door shut as hail blew into the living room. I pray if it's time to go, then fine. If it's not then the tornado will go elsewhere, and I pray it not harm others I know, but go north over fields and such.

I see that in other places tornadoes have done extensive damage today. We had like 4 or 5 siren warnings today. Elijah feared not the tornado (whirlwind) nor did Job when the LORD spoke to Him out of it, though I'm pretty sure he feared the LORD, not the mighty wind.
I was standing out in the open praying and facing something that looked like this today, only much darker.

Screenshot 2024-05-08 5.47.21 PM.png

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟29,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed

That photo came from a Soviet website actually. The artist went for the drama effect I am sure.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That photo came from a Soviet website actually. The artist went for the drama effect I am sure.
Of course. The art was probably propaganda from the Kremlin supporters to strike fear into people.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And perhaps so, but it is clearly prophesied in scripture that such an event will occur in the last days. Whether comet, or asteroid, or some other large space debris, it will come. These are not things to fear because if we are fearing these things, we are not made perfect in love, nor in faith.

1 John 4:18,
"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."

Today I stood outside Walmart waiting for someone to pick me up, as tornado sirens went off. People ran from the store: one lady yelled "go inside to the back of the store!" A man said, "It doesn't pay to play with mother nature." I said "I trust God, and it's His will what happens!" I observed the mighty tendrils of the dark clouds both to the north, which were not an immediate danger, and to the west, which were advancing upon us.

I've been in tornadoes before. Not IN them as in inside, but had one jump my house, had one shake the house as if an earthquake were happening, and one that sideswipes us, and it took 2 people to push the door shut as hail blew into the living room. I pray if it's time to go, then fine. If it's not then the tornado will go elsewhere, and I pray it not harm others I know, but go north over fields and such.

I see that in other places tornadoes have done extensive damage today. We had like 4 or 5 siren warnings today. Elijah feared not the tornado (whirlwind) nor did Job when the LORD spoke to Him out of it, though I'm pretty sure he feared the LORD, not the mighty wind.
I was standing out in the open praying and facing something that looked like this today, only much darker.

View attachment 347500
This is a science thread, not an End Times study thread, my brother. But, I hope you guys are safe from the bad weather.

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟29,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
This is a science thread, not an End Times study thread, my brother. But, I hope you guys are safe from the bad weather.
There might be one more round, but we're good. Only a couple more hours but we're still under a watch.
I'd say this does discuss physical sciences?

Consider the Chelyabinsk meteor: "The object approached Earth undetected before its atmospheric entry, in part because its radiant (source direction) was close to the Sun. 1,491 people were injured seriously enough to seek medical treatment.
The most unsettling thing about the Chelyabinsk event is that nobody saw it coming. The asteroid wasn't detected until it was already hurtling through Earth's atmosphere, in large part because it came from the direction of the Sun and was hidden by its glare."

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There might be one more round, but we're good. Only a couple more hours but we're still under a watch.
I'd say this does discuss physical sciences?

Consider the Chelyabinsk meteor: "The object approached Earth undetected before its atmospheric entry, in part because its radiant (source direction) was close to the Sun. 1,491 people were injured seriously enough to seek medical treatment.
The most unsettling thing about the Chelyabinsk event is that nobody saw it coming. The asteroid wasn't detected until it was already hurtling through Earth's atmosphere, in large part because it came from the direction of the Sun and was hidden by its glare."

Well, throwing in eschatology does not help. If we die from an asteroid, we die from an asteroid. Nothing we can do. Let us not fear death as Christians. And yes, nobody saw the Chelyabinsk meteor, but these events are rare.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,920,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wish these Bible literalists will make up their minds on the earth's demise.
In other threads it is climate change, let's not do anything about climate warming as the earth's destruction is foretold in the Bible

Maybe you've got them on IGNORE so you can make posts like this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,920,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, throwing in eschatology does not help. If we die from an asteroid, we die from an asteroid. Nothing we can do. Let us not fear death as Christians. And yes, nobody saw the Chelyabinsk meteor, but these events are rare.

We who?

IF this asteroid is Wormwood, then:

1. Christians alive today won't be here. They'll be a jillion miles elsewhere. This asteroid doesn't show up until the Tribulation period is in full swing. Well after the Rapture.

Revelation 8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
Revelation 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

2. It says "many men died" -- not everyone. Many more will die later as a result of other judgements, yes; but the point is, not everyone is going to die when this thing hits the earth.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We who?

IF this asteroid is Wormwood, then:

1. Christians alive today won't be here. They'll be a jillion miles elsewhere. This asteroid doesn't show up until the Tribulation period is in full swing. Well after the Rapture.

Revelation 8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
Revelation 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

2. It says "many men died" -- not everyone. Many more will die later as a result of other judgements, yes; but the point is, not everyone is going to die when this thing hits the earth.
I was talking with @Kokavkrystallos . "We" refers to humanity, and Christians in general. Wormwood might be another asteroid, but not Apophis.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,920,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wormwood might be another asteroid, but not Apophis.

Well, if it is another asteroid, then it's certainly not going to take out the whole population of the earth.

And I doubt it's even going to hit us.

Personally, I'd like to think it is Wormwood, and that "third angel" is going to divert it this way when the time comes.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, if it is another asteroid, then it's certainly not going to take out the whole population of the earth.

And I doubt it's even going to hit us.

Personally, I'd like to think it is Wormwood, and that "third angel" is going to divert it this way when the time comes.
Who knows. I'll just live my life out as a Christian, and not worry about the end times. :)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,920,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who knows. I'll just live my life out as a Christian, and not worry about the end times. :)
Okie doke.

You're missing out on a real blessing though.

The Rapture is referred to as our: "blessed hope."

Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okie doke.

You're missing out on a real blessing though.

The Rapture is referred to as our: "blessed hope."

Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Well, the real blessing is Jesus Christ, as stated in John 3:16.

• Winner
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The B612 Foundation has excellent information on many asteroids, including Near Earth Asteroids.
Agreed. And the Europeans (ESA) has information about the Near Earth Objects (NEOs) as well, and based on this table, the probability of an individual asteroid impacting in the next century is one in a few hundred (for small asteroids) to one in a few million (for sub-kilometer asteroids). For instance, the probability of the 11-24 meter sized asteroid designated 2023VD3 to impact the earth in 2034 is 1/387. Also, a small asteroid of a few dozen meters or less will not cause much damage.

TLDR: We are safe.

Source: Risk List - NEO

1715459964509.png

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟244,280.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
the probability of an individual asteroid impacting in the next century is one in a few hundred (for small asteroids) to one in a few million (for sub-kilometer asteroids).
I wish to add two cautionary notes:
  1. For those asteroids we are aware of.
  2. For those asteroids whose orbits are not altered by an unanticipated effect

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wish to add two cautionary notes:
  1. For those asteroids we are aware of.
  2. For those asteroids whose orbits are not altered by an unanticipated effect
Agreed. Thankfully, we are becoming more aware of asteroids each month, as many more new ones are discovered. :)

Upvote 0