Should soldiers who believe in God be denied weapons?

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hitler was also privately an atheist by all accuonts and even attempted to create a new religion based around Wotan. Check out the sort of events that happened at Wewelsburg castle.

Wotan's a god. If Hitler believed in him, he wasn't an atheist.

Reactions: wanderingone
Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The wars America are fighting do not have the citizen's support. They should end or we should say its for the oil and take it. This occupation with nebulous exit conditions is killing and maiming the flower of our youth.

The support is that we would rather a few hundred die there, than for a million to die here.

Upvote 0

Big Empty Circle

Big fat Confederate-sympathizing queer Zen atheist
Jun 19, 2008
Paducah, KY
✟15,348.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The support is that we would rather a few hundred die there, than for a million to die here.

And attacking a country who had not attacked us and gave no suggestion that they were going to do so, a country that had nothing to do with 9/11, accomplishes this how? And... "a few hundred..." might check your numbers again on that one. Last time I checked, several thousand US soliders and several HUNDRED thousand Iraqi civilians were dead from the Iraq conflict alone. By that reasoning, why not just attack, say, Mongolia? Can you prove that they AREN'T planning an attack on America? Wouldn't it be better just to lose a few hundred lives putting them in their place and destroying any military capacity they might have, than risk them attacking us here?

As to the OP... no, I don't think denying religious soldiers weapon is a good idea. Like any gun control initiative, it sounds nice in theory (as does eliminating guns entirely), but in practice it would just lead to the "bad guys" being the only ones holding weapons (religious zealots in other countries, not to mention those "believers" in our own military who were willing to lie to get a gun.)

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hitler believed in himself ---- does that make him an atheist?

I'm pretty sure almost all human beings, atheist or otherwise, believe in their own existence. It'd be tricky not to.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟313,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually atheists have killed more people in the past hundred years than Christians could ever dream of. From Stalin to Pol Pot to Mao Communism takes the cake when it comes to mass killing. For some reason they seem to like using starvation to kill, its an odd tangent.

No one has killed in the name of Atheism. There are no tenets or dogma in Atheism to kill for, just a not non-belief in God.

But lets say I except your argument that religions are responsible for their members for what they do. The count for Atheists would be a positive 1 billion plus. This is mostly due to Norman Borlaug, who many consider the father of the 'Green Revolution'. Using secular methods, he increased crop production world wide. Because of this he is credited with saving over a billion lives. When you add in the medical advances of secular science the number would go much higher. This outweighs any 'atheist' killings by petty dictators.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I dunno.. if they were soldiers in the middle of combat it probably wouldn't make them more humane... (after all inhumane folks don't always carry around a gun) but it just might make them more dead... war is hardly the choice of those sent out to conduct them.

(ooh just thought of an old song.. who sang that.. "Let's start a war said maggie one day..." the exploited? maybe...)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And attacking a country who had not attacked us and gave no suggestion that they were going to do so, a country that had nothing to do with 9/11, accomplishes this how? And... "a few hundred..." might check your numbers again on that one. Last time I checked, several thousand US soliders and several HUNDRED thousand Iraqi civilians were dead from the Iraq conflict alone. By that reasoning, why not just attack, say, Mongolia? Can you prove that they AREN'T planning an attack on America? Wouldn't it be better just to lose a few hundred lives putting them in their place and destroying any military capacity they might have, than risk them attacking us here?

As to the OP... no, I don't think denying religious soldiers weapon is a good idea. Like any gun control initiative, it sounds nice in theory (as does eliminating guns entirely), but in practice it would just lead to the "bad guys" being the only ones holding weapons (religious zealots in other countries, not to mention those "believers" in our own military who were willing to lie to get a gun.)

We may never know what might have happened if Iraq was not attacked. The reality is that the weapons could have been moved to another country. The other reality is that the former govenment (which was a defeated nation, by the way) would not cooperate with any requests without constant aggrevations and threats. Sort of like a prisoner telling his captors that he had no intention of surrendering though already caught.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is the implication here that atheists attempting to be rid of religion was NOT a product of its time?

Also, yes, the fact the Inquisition was used against other Christians clearly makes it much less insane than it being used against non Christians!

Well, the point was that it was quite an intriguing time and it had many political reasons.

It is also believed that many of the Jews who were targeted were not hereditary Jews but rather people who had converted to Judaism during the Berber occupation so as to avoid persecution on as large of levels.

I think all violence at all times has a lot more reasons than ideology.

Really now? He certainly claimed to be christian often enough.

In public, yes. He was the popular leader of a traditionally Christian country.

However, private conversations put him as an atheist.

Just because somethings are worth fighting for, that doesn't mean that fighting must take place. The point of discussion is to find constructive solutions.

eudaimonia,

Mark

OK.

Maybe we should never fight but I cannot envision such a world and such talk is so ridiculous to me.

I think no one should ever be hungry but I do not go around saying that because it just sounds stupid.

Wotan's a god. If Hitler believed in him, he wasn't an atheist.

And that wasn't the point of the religion -- Hitler spoke highly of Shintoism and was jealous that Germany did not have a religion like Shinto that could center the nation in nationalism. He wanted to essentially re-create Nordic paganism not because he believed it was true but because of the inspiring ideas that one can insert.

Hitler recognized humanity's need for deeper belief.

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not my point. When have soldiers ever declared war? It is politicians, usually with support from the citizenry in democratic nations, that start wars.

I can never get my head around this sort of thinking.

Yes, it is politicians who declare war, but I can not for the life of me understand how someone can say soldiers aren't to blame for wars. If it wasn't for the millions of men and women around the world who willingly sign up to become trained killers, there would be no one to fight for the politicians. The sooner the general public (in every country) wake up and realise being a soldier is NOT an acceptable job the better.

No soldiers No wars!

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
war is hardly the choice of those sent out to conduct them.

That is rubbish. Soldiers might not choose which wars they fight in, but the fact is when they sign up they have chosen a career which will very likely mean they will be contributing to wars. So, yes, war is their choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And they were completely free of societal influences,

I realise societal influences play some part, but they hardly had a gun to their head when they joined. Everyone has seen pictures on news channels of innocent children who have lost their limbs and stuff like that. It's heartbreaking. How someone can still join the forces and actually contribute to that sort of misery is beyond me.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can never get my head around this sort of thinking.

Yes, it is politicians who declare war, but I can not for the life of me understand how someone can say soldiers aren't to blame for wars. If it wasn't for the millions of men and women around the world who willingly sign up to become trained killers, there would be no one to fight for the politicians. The sooner the general public (in every country) wake up and realise being a soldier is NOT an acceptable job the better.

No soldiers No wars!

I am sorry...

Not everyone agrees with you.

War is necessary for the defense of the rights of people all over the world. Because evil does not put its weapons down, nor can good.

And ironically: the nations with voluntary military service and not compulsory are almost always the nations who find themselves on the side of righteousness.

Your view seems really close minded towards war and really overbearing.

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And the rest of my post was totally irrelevant, yes?

I thought so... I'll comment on the rest anyways...

Yes because all soldiers chose their profession.

Yes most do.

and they are able to become soldiers without any of the continuous government money put into the military.

I don't see what this has to do with anything. Yes, the government are to blame too, that doesn't take anything away from the soldiers part in war.

Honestly, the people who say the soldiers hands are clean need their heads testing. By signing up to the army you are fully endorsing war in my book.

Upvote 0

Exhausted

Oct 16, 2005
Earth
✟3,462.00
Faith
Christian
Of course, I didn't mean to imply that the soldiers were innocents, being used by a cruel, uncaring government.

I am inclined to think that there is always more than enough blame to go around. The soldiers must bear the guilt of the lives they have taken, and the government must take responsibility for the wars it started and financed.

Upvote 0