Q:How can I use the Bible to focus my mind?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟912,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Chinese Buddhism has a method called 'counting breaths' to gradually train the mind to focus. Does the Bible have a similar method?
Actually as Christians we are not to engage in any repetitive practices. We meditate (think about it) on His ( Jesus Christ of Nazareth) words daily.
Blessings

Matthew
“And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟783,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chinese Buddhism has a method called 'counting breaths' to gradually train the mind to focus. Does the Bible have a similar method?
Not exactly, but there is a rich history of Christians praying in a meditative way or using prayer to train one's mind to be more like or to look on Christ. Those methods are more common in Eastern Christianity like the Orthodox and Church of the East, but are also found in the Roman Catholic Church and some Protestant denominations such as the Anglicans and some Lutherans. The Church of the East was pretty wide spread in China in the 800's and held on until the 1300s.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Buddhism is not Christian bro. But, it is best that we choose a verse to study, and then try to analyze the verse and see how it connects to our lives in 2024.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟783,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Buddhism is not Christian bro. But, it is best that we choose a verse to study, and then try to analyze the verse and see how it connects to our lives in 2024.
True, but we can borrow or use facets from other cultures and faiths can enrich our faith. Christianity has done that from the beginning since we left/were expelled from the synagogues. Christ is the victor over all and that victory can help us. Training the breath is found in non-religious methods as well, it is not exclusive to Buddhism.

Upvote 0

Matthew Martin

Apr 17, 2024
Kaohsiung
✟438.00
Country
Taiwan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not exactly, but there is a rich history of Christians praying in a meditative way or using prayer to train one's mind to be more like or to look on Christ. Those methods are more common in Eastern Christianity like the Orthodox and Church of the East, but are also found in the Roman Catholic Church and some Protestant denominations such as the Anglicans and some Lutherans. The Church of the East was pretty wide spread in China in the 800's and held on until the 1300s.
Thank you for your suggestion. I managed to find some Bible-related reference materials, such as the following website. (You can translate it into English.)

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
True, but we can borrow or use facets from other cultures and faiths can enrich our faith. Christianity has done that from the beginning since we left/were expelled from the synagogues. Christ is the victor over all and that victory can help us. Training the breath is found in non-religious methods as well, it is not exclusive to Buddhism.
That is partly true, as early Christianity was based on Jewish faith. And hey, both Buddhism and Christianity speak about peace.

The Jàtaka says: `This is my message to you who are assembled here; live in concord, avoid arguments ... train yourself in peace, for this is praised by the Buddhas. Delight in peace and justice and thereby freedom from bondage will not be destroyed' (Ja.IV,211)

2 Thessalonians 3:16 Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟12,734.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
NO!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟783,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The church had borrowed festival dates, customs and worship practices from the cultures the Christ had victory over, that's just a fact. Christian liberty allows us to avoid anything that may be a stumbling block to us, but to deny that the faith has been influenced by the cultures it has conquered would be disingenuous and inaccurate.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

There is a long and rich mystical tradition in Christianity, though many modern Christians are not aware of it.

However, one of the core tenets of Christian mysticism is that technique and method are secondary at best. In Christianity we are seeking not to achieve a state of mind, but to achieve depth of relationship with a Person, or 3 Persons more accurately (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).

If you think of it like a human relationship, you can begin to see how techniques might prove useful, but techniques themselves are just tools and don't guarantee intimacy of relationship. If they become too central to us, they can become obtrusive and become a distraction.

One of the most famous Christian meditative exercises is Lectio Divina. I would recommend that. It isn't specifically about focusing the mind, but good none the less.

On the topic of focusing the mind, in Christian terms this would be viewed just like any other physical type of exercise. It is about learning mental discipline and so there are multiple techniques or exorcises that will work. Essentially the core of most is simply doing it. You focus your mind on one thing and try to maintain focus. When intrusive thoughts come to mind and distract you, you acknowledge that they are there, and then you dismiss them for later and return to focusing.

A prayer that has been used like this in the past, and is particularly popular among Eastern Orthodox Christians is the "Jesus Prayer" It goes,

"Jesus Christ Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner" It can be said in rhythm with your breathing. The first part breath in, the second part breath out.

The prayer itself is taken largely from the parable Jesus told about the sinner who was in the temple praying and the Pharisee who was next to him.

As you might have noticed from previous replies, some Christians have a problem with repetition. This is because Jesus told his disciples not to pray with "vain repetitions like the gentiles who think that they will be heard for their many words".

They take this to mean that ALL repetition is vain. Traditionally Christians have understood this to mean that repetitions are vain if they are done for the purpose of thinking that God will hear you because you prayed many words, or offered many prayers.

Traditionally repetitive Christian prayers have been done not to earn a response, but to focus the mind on God and to train yourself to always have an attitude of prayer.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟760,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are probably many places we can do this in a Christian way. What I mean is according to the Lord’s commandments (Matthew 22:36-40 etc.) in prayer for the daily well being and salvation of our neighbor ( 1 Timothy 2:1-6), for evangelism ( Matthew 9:36-38) in that we would want others to be saved as we want to be saved ( Matthew 7:12 in relation to Matthew 7:1-12).

The Lord’s very commandments I linked above say we should love God with all our heart, soul, & mind so our mind is definitely in focus here. Deuteronomy 6:1-8, I believe, can definitely be applied here. St. Paul quotes a portion of Psalms 4:4 in Ephesians 4:26 which is a meditative passage & his conclusion in Ephesians 4:27 seems that he is telling us to focus on what is good vs what is evil.

Additionally, I believe Psalm 119 is well suited for applications of this. Meditation ( KIng James & New King James Versions) of the commandments is found in verses 15, 23, 48, 78, & 148. The Hebrew alphabet is spread per letter every 8 verses in this psalm ( 22 letters, 176 verses) each one a ready made exercise.

Just a note, I don’t claim to be worthy of what I am posting and have much to be desired. I also believe I have realized something that a better person could bear fruit with and should share it.

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟12,734.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The church had borrowed festival dates, customs and worship practices from the cultures the Christ had victory over, that's just a fact. Christian liberty allows us to avoid anything that may be a stumbling block to us, but to deny that the faith has been influenced by the cultures it has conquered would be disingenuous and inaccurate.
yes you are correct the churches of the word has borrowed, but it is not a good thing, there is one GOD who asks us to do things HIS way not our way. we cannot integrate other religion belief system in Christianity it is totally incompatible, there is one GOD!

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟12,734.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
To really focus, you need to isolate yourself and give 100% plus to GOD, for instance when I read the bible, I eat up every word and they elevate my spirit so much so it's incredible, Like a trance, I gain understanding I never could otherwise, it is the work of the Holy Spirit that is given us if you ask for it, Understanding comes with it but a warning, when you realize that the world does the contrary to GOD's will it can cause depression, the path the Truth is not an easy one, but persist and all things will be revealed, I know the kingdom of GOD is at hand, Our Lord is coming back sooner than later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Sure, however, the degree to which this happens is often heavily exaggerated both by secular scholars who don't really know Church history very well, and by sectarian Christians who want excuses to dismiss and vilify historic Christianity.

Another way of saying this...
but to deny that the faith has been influenced by the cultures it has conquered would be disingenuous and inaccurate.

Would be to say that those cultures, in being conquered by Christianity, have been redeemed, and through Christ they find the expression of what they were always meant to be.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟783,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure, however, the degree to which this happens is often heavily exaggerated both by secular scholars who don't really know Church history very well, and by sectarian Christians who want excuses to dismiss and vilify historic Christianity.
That's a very valid point. I personally don't see it in that manner, but I know of people that do treat it that way. It can be a tough ballance to see the reality of history and how that plays out theologically.
Another way of saying this...

Would be to say that those cultures, in being conquered by Christianity, have been redeemed, and through Christ they find the expression of what they were always meant to be.
Well said!

Upvote 0