powdered milk

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟568,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We struggle with that question regarding many packaged items. Some preppers insist you remove the product from the original package, put it in canning jars, and add an oxygen absorber. For instance, things like boxed dressing, mashed potatoes, etc..
We put most of this stuff in a mylar bag with an O2 absorber. It has not failed us yet. We have opened things like packaged soup mix only to find it has spoiled. So I think mylar and an O2, at least. These jars are getting expensive. I saw a box of 12 - 1 quart jars for 14 bucks. In some cases, the jar is more expensive than the food. A few years ago, I started buying the larger half-gallon jars for storage purposes. We use them for wheat, dry beans, oatmeal, and grits. They are too expensive now.
The big thing with dried milk is moisture. Gotta keep it dry. If I were to repackage dried milk, I think I would toss in a desiccant just to absorb the moisture that might be present in the air. Here in SC, it is so humid that we have to take that into consideration. When we remove stuff from the freeze drier, it goes directly off the trays into a mylar bag and gets sealed up.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟165,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Would it be better to keep powdered milk in the original packaging or vacuum seal into small packages?
Get the amber colored big mason jars and a vacuum sealer that has an ability to do wide mouth jars and such. Leave a 1 inch to 1/12 inch space between the lid and pull it down into a low pressure with the vacuum sealer. Should be good for quite a long time. You can put a moisture absorber in there also if you like before you pull it down.

You can do that with powdered eggs and other such things,.... freeze dried potatoes, etc. You're basically ensuring a 30-35+ shelf life for the items, if they are stored in a somewhat cool area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟568,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Get the amber colored big mason jars and a vacuum sealer that has an ability to do wide mouth jars and such. Leave a 1 inch to 1/12 inch space between the lid and pull it down into a low pressure with the vacuum sealer. Should be good for quite a long time. You can put a moisture absorber in there also if you like before you pull it down.

You can do that with powdered eggs and other such things,.... freeze dried potatoes, etc. You're basically ensuring a 30-35+ shelf life for the items, if they are stored in a somewhat cool area.
I have come to like the jars better than the mylar. They have just become expensive. But then the mylar bags are none too cheap either. Bless the Lord for all His provisions!

Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟165,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I have come to like the jars better than the mylar. They have just become expensive. But then the mylar bags are none too cheap either. Bless the Lord for all His provisions!
Look around for the amber colored ones if you can find them, or purchase them off amazon. Get the big gallon and half gallon ones. Anything that keeps more light out is good for storage of food.

Upvote 0