Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I English we have words that are nouns which can become verbs. Just a few examples would the following: Box Boxing, Hunt Hunting, Board Boarding, etc. I think it works the same in Hebrew. Nouns can become verbs. But don't quote me on that because I am not for sure on that.

Shalom,
David
Hi David. Nice to meet you.

I see your reasoning. It works a lot of the time, but not always. For example, the word desk. You can't be "desked." You can sit at a desk. You can write at a desk. Same with mikvah. You go to the mikvah. You immerse at the mikveh.

Upvote 0

davidbenephraim

Jul 25, 2012
✟10,334.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I've never heard anyone except Messianics use mikveh as a verb. It sounds very strange.

Shalom and good afternoon, the day after I posted my reply, i remembered that because in English there are nouns that can be used as verbs (because the rules of English grammar allow it) Messianics, especially here in the United States, tend to use Hebrew nouns as verbs because of habit or as Reb Teviyah (Fiddler on the Roof) would say, "Tradition!"

I really don't know if the rules of Hebrew grammar allow for nouns to be used as verbs so it could just be that Messianics use "miqveh" as a verb because of our Greco-Roman Westernized habit of using some English nouns as verbs out of habit without thinking or "Tradition!"

Baruch HaShem Adonai

David

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Shalom and good afternoon, the day after I posted my reply, i remembered that because in English there are nouns that can be used as verbs (because the rules of English grammar allow it) Messianics, especially here in the United States, tend to use Hebrew nouns as verbs because of habit or as Reb Teviyah (Fiddler on the Roof) would say, "Tradition!"

I really don't know if the rules of Hebrew grammar allow for nouns to be used as verbs so it could just be that Messianics use "miqveh" as a verb because of our Greco-Roman Westernized habit of using some English nouns as verbs out of habit without thinking or "Tradition!"

Baruch HaShem Adonai

David
Probably because of their normal use of English, and the are transitioning that over to Hebrew. "Tradition" shouldn't be a part of the equation since it's a relatively new phenomena.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,108,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Shalom and good afternoon Khalliqa, actually Messianic believers in Yeshua HaMashiach (Jesus the Messiah) also practice Mikvah which can also be spelled Miqvah, Mikveh, Miqveh. I am a born-from-above Torah observant Israelite believer in Yeshua HaMashaiach. As such, I am Messianic, and I have been Mikvahed along with my wife. Oh and by the way, as you may already know, Mikvah is a Hebrew form of water immersion, and is the way Yeshua was immersed in the Jorden River by Yochannan the Immerser.

Baruch Hashem Adonai,
David

Hallelu-Yah

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
I guess the Christian baptism is an extension on the Mikvah practice. (wiki)

Although, that's a once off dedication, the Christian faith encourages the 'renewal of the mind' (Romans 12:2) and abstaining every now and then. (1 Cor 7:5)

Doing it as a regular physical and spiritual experience though would be amazing. :blush:

Actually, I believe our Catholic sacrament of confession is a renewal of the effects of our baptism. Just thought y'all might be interested ; perhaps, marginally.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Shalom and good afternoon Khalliqa, actually Messianic believers in Yeshua HaMashiach (Jesus the Messiah) also practice Mikvah which can also be spelled Miqvah, Mikveh, Miqveh. I am a born-from-above Torah observant Israelite believer in Yeshua HaMashaiach. As such, I am Messianic, and I have been Mikvahed along with my wife. Oh and by the way, as you may already know, Mikvah is a Hebrew form of water immersion, and is the way Yeshua was immersed in the Jorden River by Yochannan the Immerser.

Baruch Hashem Adonai,
David

What does born from above mean? And how would a non Jew understand that? I attend a synagogue and I have not heard that verbiage before. Are you referencing your salvation in Christ?

Upvote 0