Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before Jesus died on the cross, he taught his disciples to pray in Matthew 6:

13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’
After the cross, John taught in 1 John 2:

14 I write to you, dear children, because you know the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one.
you have overcome
νενικήκατε (nenikēkate)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's Greek 3528: To conquer, be victorious, overcome, prevail, subdue. From nike; to subdue.

The perfect indicative shows that it is finished as a matter of fact and they are daily enjoying the fruit of this successful overcoming.

John elaborates on this action of overcoming two chapters later in 1 John 4:

4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.
After being born again, we have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us.

Paul expressed a similar idea in Col 1:

13 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love 14 in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
Since it is done, do we still need to pray, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one"?

Positionally, I know that I have overcome the evil one in Christ. Still, practically, I want to humble myself before God daily. I ask the Father to deliver me from the evil one, knowing he will.

• Friendly
Reactions: Grip Docility

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟133,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

you have overcome
νενικήκατε (nenikēkate)
Strong's Greek 3528: To conquer, be victorious, overcome, prevail, subdue. From nike; to subdue.

The perfect indicative shows that it is finished as a matter of fact and they are daily enjoying the fruit of this successful overcoming.

Since it is done, do we still need to pray, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one"?

Positionally, I know that I have overcome the evil one in Christ. Still, practically, I want to humble myself before God daily. I ask the Father to deliver me from the evil one, knowing he will.
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." This part asks for protection from the temptations and sins that can lead us away from God. It recognizes that we are not in control of our own destiny, but that God is the one who guides and protects us.

Excerpt from my explanation of Lord's Prayer to a guy named @ESJ on the forums: My name is Jorem Eseru from Uganda -East Africa.

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟730,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

you have overcome
νενικήκατε (nenikēkate)

We are constantly being bombarded by evil ... we are to pray unceasingly ... we constantly need His help and protection against evil.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (ESV Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0