The Wild West
✟484,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You will not be mistaken if you find in bookstores the works of the Holy Fathers in English, including the Eastern ones; Their works, by the way, are especially worth purchasing. You can also find the Acts of the Ecumenical Councils in English with the commentary of Nicodemus (Milash) or with the interpretation of Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain. Find at least the Acts of the Ecumenical Councils with interpretations: Balsamon, Zonaras, Aristan. As for dogmatic theology, find the book of Metropolitan Macarius (Bulgakov), the complete catechism of Philaret (Drozdov). I don’t know English either, but my Windows operating system is automatically translated into Russian, and it translates perfectly.

Fortunately most of the writings of the Holy Fathers are available for free online, but indeed, my library is filled with them. I also have an Orthodox liturgical library, which contains many of the most important Patristic texts, for example, I have the Lenten Triodion, the Pentecostarion, various Sluzbeniks, a Trebnik, an unabbreviated Horologion, a Festal Menaion, the Octoechos, and so on. The only thing I am lacking is a complete monthly menaion, which is extremely expensive, and the propers for the additional feasts are provided by various English speaking priests, primarily from ROCOR, such as Fr. John Whiteford.

I also have an extensive library of Oriental Orthodox material, since I advocate for an expansion of the agreement between the Antiochian Orthodox Church and the Syriac Orthodox Church, and between the Greek Orthodox and Coptic Orthodox Churches of Alexandria, so as to encompass all of the Eastern Orthodox churches and the Oriental Orthodox. This is already happening to some extent, but there are holdouts, for example, one Greek bishop has said some particularly unpleasant things about the Oriental Orthodox (Metropolitan Seraphim of Piraeus).

Upvote 0

Nagomirov

Russian Orthodox Church
Mar 28, 2024
Алтайский край, город Рубцовск
✟3,926.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Well I wish they would translate that into English. Right now the most encyclopedic works we have are certain books on liturgical theology by Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev of Budapest, the former director of External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, and also Orthodox Dogmatic Theology by the late Protopresbyter Michael Pomazansky of ROCOR, which was translated into English by blessed Fr. Seraphim Rose. And then providing a very general overview of the history of the Orthodox Church is The Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, memory eternal.

By the way, I do not speak Russian or Church Slavonic, although I can understand a fair amount of Church Slavonic used in the liturgy, such as “Gospodi Pomuli” (which is rather obvious, but you get my point, I hope); you recently made some posts in Russian that you did not translate, and I was hoping you might do that for me.

The free version of Chat GPT, ChatGPT 3.5, does translate from Russian and Church Slavonic, but it really helps if you have at least some knowledge of the language you are translating into as occasionally it makes a mistake.

I think you have a lot of good Orthodox literature in English, for example, look for books by: Marcus Plested, Dr. David Bradshaw, Andrew Louth. And most importantly, there are their lectures on YouTube! You don't have to look for Russian theologians, you can also look for Greeks, for example, look for books by John Romanides in English.

Upvote 0

Nagomirov

Russian Orthodox Church
Mar 28, 2024
✟3,926.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I also have an extensive library of Oriental Orthodox material, since I advocate for an expansion of the agreement between the Antiochian Orthodox Church and the Syriac Orthodox Church, and between the Greek Orthodox and Coptic Orthodox Churches of Alexandria, so as to encompass all of the Eastern Orthodox churches and the Oriental Orthodox. This is already happening to some extent, but there are holdouts, for example, one Greek bishop has said some particularly unpleasant things about the Oriental Orthodox (Metropolitan Seraphim of Piraeus).

THE MONOENERGISM OF SEVIER OF ANTIOCH

The heresy of Sevier is the opposite of the heresy of Nestorius. Nestorius did not understand how the properties and actions of two natures converge in one subject; Sevier does not understand how the actions and properties of one Person are distributed among two natures. In fact, the Deity of Christ turns out to be the active principle for him, and humanity in a single complex energy turns out to be passive, guided (Sevier denies even the "immaturity", the fullness of the properties of humanity in Christ): it is devoid of self-movement and has an instrumental function (it is curious that the heresy of Nestorius stands out with unambiguity precisely when considering the question of the actions of Christ). He recognizes duality only in deeds, in the results of actions.

1. Excerpts from Sevier's writings:

"But those who believe that after God the Word hypostatically united with the flesh, which possessed an intelligent soul, He performed all His deeds through it and changed it not into His nature (may it not be!), but into His glory and action, no longer seek what is clearly belongs to the flesh without diminution. What clearly belongs by nature to the Deity has become, by reason of union, an accessory of this flesh. But if they insanely separate the flesh from the God of the Word, speaking of two natures after union, then it then walks its own ways, following its nature, and retains its properties undiminished according to the rule of the wicked. However, this is not the case (and how is this possible?), and in fact it is completely different: for connection denies separation" [1].

"Your big enterprise (energia) and your big state enterprise (motus operativus), just like your big enterprise, your company, in many ways, deeds and words are different" [2].

"We have always known and still know only one difficult one (σύνθετον)[energy], and it cannot be interpreted otherwise than as the negation of any duality (πάσης... δυάδος)» [3].

"We say the same thing about energy, confessing it to be divine (θεία), since the strongest, according to the fathers, prevails; the works produced by it, divine and human, are different" [4].

"What kind of nature walks on water? Let those who introduce the two natures by union answer us. Divine? But is it proper for a deity to walk in bodily footsteps? Human? But isn't it strange for a person to walk in the wet element? As we can see, your two natures have disappeared. After all, for anyone who intentionally does not close his eyes, it is obvious and undeniable that just as the incarnate God the Word is one and inseparable for our sake, so His energy is inseparable (ἀμέριστος... ἐνέργεια). And it is peculiar to Him to walk on water, and this is both the godly and the human side" [5].

2. The commentary of the Doctor of theology prot. Oleg Davydenkov:

"Sevier, although he confesses Christ to be the true God and the true man, nevertheless recognizes in Christ only the deity capable of action. At the same time, he could describe the energy of Christ as “manly” or “complex,” but this complexity extends only to the works performed by the Savior. Moreover, according to Sevier's teaching, human deeds are performed not by the humanity of Jesus, but by the divine power of the Word, as if refracted in His humanity, like light passing through a glass prism, and producingresults corresponding to human nature. The energy itself is quite simple, it is the energy of God Himself in the incarnate state (μία ενέργεια σεσαρκωμένη). Thus, Sevier does not allow any real synergy of deity and humanity in Christ" [6].

3. The commentary of the Coptic theologian is sacred. Isaac's Shenouda:

"For Sevier, there was the beginning (principle) of free choice (free decision) of the human personality - this is a single word in his Divinity. Because He is already making choices before his conscious age, although his human spiritual organ is not yet able to act or choose. Consequently, the freedom of decision and real choice is transferred entirely to the Divine Word as such. There is no doubt that Christ had an intelligent soul, but Sevier cannot allow this soul to be made the beginning of an election that functions on its own, because this would make the human being of Jesus appear as a second person on a par with the Word... A reasonable soul, of course, cannot manipulate separately from the state power to which it belonged" [7].

Source:
[1] Severus of Antioch. Epistle I: To the Oecumene // Collection of letters of the North of Antioch / ed., translated by E. Brooks. P., 1919. Page 184 (BY; 12)
[2] The North of Antioch. Contra impium Grammaticum, 3.38 / Translated by J. Lebon. Louvain, 1952. p. 175
[3] The North of Antioch. Epistle III to John the Abbot // The doctrine of the Father of the Verbal Incarnation. Munster, 1981. p. 309
[4] Eustathius is a Monk. The Epistle to Timothy the Scholastic about the natural enemy of the North // pp. 86.1. Col. 924-925 (comp.: The North of Antioch. Epistle 1 to Sergius // The Northern Antiochian speeches to Nephalim. We turn to Sergius with mutual grammatical messages. Louvain, 1949. p. 62).
[5] Mansi. Vol. 10. Col. 1124
[6] Oleg Davydenkov, prot. The Christological system of Sevier of Antioch. M., 2007. p. 153
[7] Iskhak S. M. Christology and the Chalcedonian Cathedral. Parker, 2013. p. 381

Upvote 0

Nagomirov

Russian Orthodox Church
Mar 28, 2024
✟3,926.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

As far as I understand, the Copts are Sevirians in theology, they adhere to the theology of Sevirus of Antioch regarding the understanding of the will of Christ.

Upvote 0

Nagomirov

Russian Orthodox Church
Mar 28, 2024
✟3,926.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
У меня также есть обширная библиотека материалов по Восточной Православной Церкви, поскольку я выступаю за расширение соглашения между Антиохийской Православной Церковью и Сирийской Православной Церковью, а также между Греческой Православной Церковью и Коптской Православной Церковью Александрии, чтобы охватить все Восточные Православные Церкви и Восточные Православные. В какой-то степени это уже происходит, но есть и несогласные, например, один греческий архиерей сказал особенно неприятные вещи о восточных православных (митрополит Пирейский Серафим).

Книга «Христология и Халкидонский собор» коптского священника Шенуды Исхака (о. Шенуда М. Исхак).

А саму книгу можно здесь купить - Amazon.com

Православный человек в России, прочитавший эту книгу, пишет, что севирианское богословие коптов противоречит православному богословию Иоанна Дамаскина.

Боковые панели​

История
Сохраненные
Предложить перевод

Upvote 0

Nagomirov

Russian Orthodox Church
Mar 28, 2024
✟3,926.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
У меня также есть обширная библиотека материалов по Восточной Православной Церкви, поскольку я выступаю за расширение соглашения между Антиохийской Православной Церковью и Сирийской Православной Церковью, а также между Греческой Православной Церковью и Коптской Православной Церковью Александрии, чтобы охватить все Восточные Православные Церкви и Восточные Православные. В какой-то степени это уже происходит, но есть и несогласные, например, один греческий архиерей сказал особенно неприятные вещи о восточных православных (митрополит Пирейский Серафим).

11C1C8A4-E716-46DD-85AA-49D770B8827D.jpg

Upvote 0

Nagomirov

Russian Orthodox Church
Mar 28, 2024
✟3,926.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
К счастью, большинство святоотеческих писаний доступны бесплатно в Интернете, но, действительно, моя библиотека наполнена ими.

Из православной литературы хватит с лихвой, хватит за глазами, хватит по полной – это Иоанн Дамаскин «Точное изложение православной веры».

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟484,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I think you have a lot of good Orthodox literature in English, for example, look for books by: Marcus Plested, Dr. David Bradshaw, Andrew Louth. And most importantly, there are their lectures on YouTube! You don't have to look for Russian theologians, you can also look for Greeks, for example, look for books by John Romanides in English.

Yes I have read Louth and Romanides. You know this year I am celebrating my tenth anniversary of becoming Orthodox! During which time I have also worked to promote Orthodox theology among Protestants, with some success.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟484,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
As far as I understand, the Copts are Sevirians in theology, they adhere to the theology of Sevirus of Antioch regarding the understanding of the will of Christ.

No, the Severians are unrelated to Mor Severus of Antioch, rather, Severian was a second century Gnostic of the Syrian school, related to Bardesanes and Tatian (see the Panarion, by St. Epiphanius; I have this in two volumes). Also Mor Severus was not a Monothelite, or even a Monophysite, but rather a Theopaschite and a Miaphysite or Oriental Orthodox. At any rate, any detailed study of Coptic theology will show that the Greek Orthodox Church of Alexandria acted correctly in forming a close ecumenical relationship with them, which has also helped stabilize the Alexandrian Greek population, since Alexandrian Greeks can now marry Copts and partake of the Eucharist in either Coptic or Alexandrian Greek parishes. Additionally the monks of the Monastery of St. Catharine of Sinai, which is actually an autonomous church under the Omophorion of the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem (similar to how ROCOR is an autonomous church under the Omophorion of the Moscow Patriarchate, and likewise the Churches of Belarus and Japan), is known for giving communion to Coptic pilgrims.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟484,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Коптское богословие противоречит богословию Иоанна Дамаскина в вопросе о воле Христа.

Please translate the above as I do not have time to do it, and I don’t want to risk confusion from an inaccurate translation.

Upvote 0

Nagomirov

Russian Orthodox Church
Mar 28, 2024
✟3,926.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Please translate the above as I do not have time to do it, and I don’t want to risk confusion from an inaccurate translation.

Coptic theology contradicts the theology of John of Damascus in the matter of the will of Christ.

Upvote 0

Nagomirov

Russian Orthodox Church
Mar 28, 2024
✟3,926.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
No, the Severians are unrelated to Mor Severus of Antioch, rather, Severian was a second century Gnostic of the Syrian school, related to Bardesanes and Tatian (see the Panarion, by St. Epiphanius; I have this in two volumes). Also Mor Severus was not a Monothelite, or even a Monophysite, but rather a Theopaschite and a Miaphysite or Oriental Orthodox. At any rate, any detailed study of Coptic theology will show that the Greek Orthodox Church of Alexandria acted correctly in forming a close ecumenical relationship with them, which has also helped stabilize the Alexandrian Greek population, since Alexandrian Greeks can now marry Copts and partake of the Eucharist in either Coptic or Alexandrian Greek parishes. Additionally the monks of the Monastery of St. Catharine of Sinai, which is actually an autonomous church under the Omophorion of the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem (similar to how ROCOR is an autonomous church under the Omophorion of the Moscow Patriarchate, and likewise the Churches of Belarus and Japan), is known for giving communion to Coptic pilgrims.

By Sevirians, we mean the followers of the theology of Severus of Antioch. By the way, the North of Antioch is negatively mentioned in the Spiritual Meadow of John Moschus. An elder saw him in hell, among other heresiarchs.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟205,566.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Yes I have read Louth and Romanides. You know this year I am celebrating my tenth anniversary of becoming Orthodox! During which time I have also worked to promote Orthodox theology among Protestants, with some success.
Protestants reject the Eastern Orthodox Church as, just another man made religion teaching the false man centered gospel. So there's no way any Protestant would every consider embracing the teaching of the Orthodox Church.

The Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church, teach the same erroneous things while they ignore God's commandment regarding Idol worship. Both of these worship Statues and Icons, which amounts to Idol worship and that's an unforgivable sin.

All Protestants rejected the man made religions, that's why we're known as Protestants. We protest against all man made religion and call them out, for what they are. Our only authority is God Himself, we don't bow down to men or worship them. We only worship God, and reject everyone who disobeys God and preaches a false gospel.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟484,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Protestants reject the Eastern Orthodox Church as, just another man made religion teaching the false man centered gospel. So there's no way any Protestant would every consider embracing the teaching of the Orthodox Church.

No they don’t. Relations between the Orthodox and traditional Protestants such as Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists, Moravians, and even many Reformed Christians are very good. Indeed, the Protestant Episcopal Church in the 1900s entered into advanced discussions with the Russian Orthodox Church about joining the Eastern Orthodox Communion, but these were disrupted, chiefly by the Revolution, since the Archbishop of New York, St. Tikhon of Moscow, was recalled to Moscow and elected Patriarch, and he would die of severe maltreatment in a Soviet prison in the 1920s. Which is part of the glory of Orthodoxy, that being our continued martyrs; Protestants and Catholics also have martyrs, and because of our shared experience of dying for Christ, we are able to have ecumenical relations and understanding.

Now, when I spoke of spreading Orthodoxy into Protestantism, in which I have been personally successful, this is also happening on a larger scale, with increasing numbers of Protestant churches using Orthodox icons, and learning to write icons in the Orthodox style (the technique of painting icons is called writing them, for various reasons, but one reason is because their reproduction is much like the reproduction of the sacred manuscripts of the Church, such as our Evangelions, which were traditionally illuminated with beautiful iconography, in both East and West (see the Book of Kells as an example of Celtic illuminaion, or on the other side of the Christian world at the time, the Syriac Rabbula Gospel as an example of Syriac iconography). Additionally many Protestants have found solace in the scripturally sound practices of reciting the Psalter (the book of Psalms), which some Protestant churches were already doing, and in the Jesus Prayer. And some Protestant churches have celebrated liturgies from the Byzantine Rite, and there are some, such as the Ukrainian Lutheran Church, which have always used Byzantine Rite liturgies.

Now it is clear from your post you are unaware of the distinction between Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy, but there is such a thing, not that it matters much, but it is somewhat relevant, and there is also the Church of the East, which at present does not use icons in a visibly extensive manner, but this was due to repeated Islamic depradation. On the other hand, it was in the Eastern Orthodox church that the iconoclast error you adhere to in falsely accusing us of idolatry was first manifested, as a result of superstitious generals and religious leaders encountering Islam, and falsely attributing the military success of Islam to its extreme iconoclasm, rather than to their own military incompetence and the decadence of the Byzantine Empire at that time. In the following century, iconoclasm was prohibited at the Seventh Ecumenical Council in 787 AD, but the Emperors remained iconoclastic until the Triumph of Orthodoxy in 843 AD, when an iconodule Empress took to the throne, and after that occurred, the Byzantine Empire experienced a renewal of its Christian faith and began to successfully stop the Islamic advance, and if this had not happened at that time, and if Charlemagne’s cousin St. Guilliame had not defeated the Moors in the Pyrennes and successfully kept them out of France, all of Europe would have fallen under Islamic dominance. St. Guillame, horrified by the conflict, decided to become a monk, and used his personal fortune to build a Benedictine monastery which he retired to. The Oriental Orthodox, on the other hand, never had iconoclasm of any kind and have always maintained and venerated the holy icons, although the manner of this veneration varies between these churches.

But here is an interesting fact: there exists an Oriental Orthodox church, one of the three Syriac Orthodox jurisdictions in India, the Malankara Independent Syrian Church, which is in full communion with the Protestant Mar Thoma Syrian Church. If Orthodoxy was as opposed by Protestants as you seem to claim, then the largest Protestant church among the Mar Thoma Christians of Kerala and the Malabar Coast would not have entered into communion with one of them.

What is more, most Protestants are not iconoclasts like yourself. Martin Luther, the founder of Protestantism as we know it, as my friend @MarkRohfrietsch will attest, believed it appropriate that there should be crucifixes and iconographic depictions of our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ and of the saints, and he also actively venerated Our most glorious Lady Theotokos and Ever Virgin Mary, praying a version of the Hail Mary Prayer, without the petition (as Luther did not believe in intercessory prayer to the saints, but he did believe in venerating them, particularly St. Mary, for she is the Mother of God, and in this respect Martin Luther fully accepted the findings of the Third Ecumenical Council).

Although initially iconoclastic, Anglicanism had ceased to become Iconoclastic following the Elizabethan Settlement and especially in the 17th century under Archbishop Laud, which prompted a schism with the Puritans, but this was better for both groups, as the Puritans were unstable in their faith, and a large number of formerly Puritan churches including the majority in Boston, as well as the oldest surviving church in North America, the Old Ship Church in Boston, as well as Harvard University, which was originally built as a Puritan seminary, converted from Christianity to Unitarianism in the 1780s, which was rather disappointing, but many remained, as Congregationalists. Unfortunately most Congregationalists became a part of the ultra-liberal United Church of Christ, which does not have relations with the Eastern Orthodox (and presumably the Oriental Orthodox and the Church of the East), other than occasionally renting sanctuaries to us, as they regard us as homophobic and misogynistic, because we oppose to their performance of same-sex marriages and do not ordain women. But we do ordain married men to the priesthood, unlike the Roman Catholic Church.

Fortunately, over the course of the 19th century, most of the Protestant churches which were iconoclastic relaxed in this respect, which is why Protestant churches whether Presbyterian, or Lutheran, or Methodist, or Anglican tend to be decorated with beautiful stained glass windows which depict the life of our Lord. And this was a beautiful and good thing that happened, and was a major step towards reconciliation with us. Of course the Episcopalians of Northern England first contacted the Orthodox about union in the 18th century, and over the 19th century Anglican-Orthodox relations became particularly close. And it is worth noting that worldwide, Anglicanism represents the largest Protestant Communion, being about half the size of the Eastern Orthodox Communion, and just over twice the size of the Oriental Orthodox Communion, followed by Lutheranism, and then the various Reformed, Calvinist and Presbyterian churches.

And while the latter group is not uniformly happy with the Orthodox, we nonetheless get plenty of converts from them, including one of our leading moral theologians in the US, Fr. Josiah Trenham, who attended Westminster Theological Seminary, and after graduating and a short period of discernment, Fr. Josiah was ordained into the Antiochian Orthodox Church of North America, which is one of the jurisdictions recently to experience so many martyrdoms at the hands of ISIS, along with the Syriac Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch and the Assyrian Church of the East and the Ancient Church of the East, and the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. And then the Armenian lands of Ngorno-Karabakh were invaded last year and conquered illegally by Azerbaijan, and another 20,000 Armenians were killed, in the continuing genocide and ethnic cleansing of Armenian and Georgian Christians by their Islamic neighbors.

Now, lest you accuse those Protestants who have embraced aspects of Orthodoxy of not being true Protestants, I would point out in advance that such an argument is fallacious, a literal example of the “no true Scotsman” fallacy, also known as an appeal to purity. This argument is fallacious because in your prior post, you spoke of Protestantism in general, and made an assertion that all Protestants reject the Eastern Orthodox Church, which is demonstrably false, and in particular the increasing presence of Orthodox icons and also of Protestant icons painted in the Orthodox style, both of Orthodox subjects and of Protestant leaders such as John and Charles Wesley (I have an icon of them, as I regard them as worthy of veneration), runs contrary to your assertion that all Protestants reject Eastern Orthodoxy because of its alleged idolatry.

But of course we are not idolatrous. Nor do we teach the same things as the Roman Catholic Church. Both the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox church reject Papal Infallibility, Papal Supremacy, Purgatory, the Immaculate Conception, and numerous other Roman Catholic doctrines and scholastic innovations, for example, the Scholastic idea that grace is created (Eastern Orthodox and many Oriental Orthodox regard Grace as an uncreated energy of God), and many other things. We also reject the idea that priests should be celibate; while we do have monastic priests who are voluntarily celibate on account of their being monks, this is also true of Protestantism, for there have been Anglican and Lutheran monasteries for at least the past 200 years or so.

Now if you had presented your argument more narrowly, by, for example, arguing from the position of your own denomination, or from the perspective of say, Fundamentalist Protestants, your argument would not be in error, but as it stands, you made an argument against Orthodoxy that is contained in material falsehoods, and there is no way, without modifying your original argument, of stepping back from these erroneous assertions without engaging in an Appeal to Purity or “No True Scotsman” fallacy.

Thus I would respectfully suggest that you modify your argument so that it only applies to Fundamentalist Protestants or Protestants of your particular denomination (but even this would have to be narrowly defined, because there are some Baptist churches that have positive relations with the Orthodox despite their fundamental disagreement with us about the baptism of infants), and like-minded denominations, rather than all Protestants, and if you do that, I will have nothing negative to say about your post, because it is true that among Fundamentalists and certain Restorationist denominations, iconoclasm remains the doctrine of those churches, along with, in many cases, Nestorianism, and these beliefs are fundamentally incompatible with Eastern Orthodoxy and Oriental Orthodoxy. Likewise, the Orthodox also reject liberal postmodern theologies, such as feminist theology, queer theology and liberation theology, and we also reject Pentecostal and Charismatic and Sabbatarian beleifs.

However, the majority of Protestants, including the Lutherans, Anglicans, Methodists and even a great many Reformed, are not iconoclastic, and I have positive relations with Protestants from these churches every single day, including a great many clergy. Indeed, my best friends on these forums include a great many Protestants, such as my friends @MarkRohfrietsch , @Jipsah , @ViaCrucis , @Ain't Zwinglian and many others, and I love them very much and ask for their prayers for me, and I pray for them.

Indeed i would even readily serve as a clergyman in some Protestant churches, as I did in the past, for the difference in beliefs between, for example, high church Anglicanism or confessional Lutheranism and Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy is so subtle.

Of course, I would not serve in an iconoclastic denomination, or a denomination that practices credobaptism, or Sabbatarianism, or has a Zwinglian or Memorialist interpretation of the Eucharist, or a denomination that has capitulated to secular pressure regarding issues of human sexuality and abortion, as I regard these as severe doctrinal differences. I am more concerned about churches that are not pro-life or that profane the sacrament of Holy Matrimony through the marriage of persons engaged in acts clearly defined in both the Old and New Testament as sexually perverse, but what would be very undesirable would be a situation where there were no traditional liturgical Protestant churches, so that one had a choice between traditional worship and liberal theology, or conservative theology and aliturgical worship without holy icons, or solemn and decorous services, or with the assault to the ear that is praise and worship music. That so many Protestant churches have discarded their organs and replaced them with electric guitars and drumkits and discarded their hymnals and the beautiful chorales written by Martin Luther, Isaac Watts, Charles Wesley, Arthur Sullivan and others in favor of what is basically rock music, is a tragedy to me. I would also not serve in a Protestant church that was a part of the Charismatic or Pentecostal movements.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟109,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church, teach the same erroneous things while they ignore God's commandment regarding Idol worship. Both of these worship Statues and Icons, which amounts to Idol worship and that's an unforgivable sin.

All Protestants rejected the man made religions, that's why we're known as Protestants. We protest against all man made religion and call them out, for what they are. Our only authority is God Himself, we don't bow down to men or worship them. We only worship God, and reject everyone who disobeys God and preaches a false gospel.
And yet another "if you don't believe as I believe, then it is the false gospel" post. Seen it before, will see it again.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟358,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Catholic Church does not consider Calvinism, a theology developed by John Calvin in the 16th century, to be heretical. However, it does disagree with certain aspects of Calvinist theology, particularly the belief in double predestination, the doctrine that God predestines some individuals to eternal salvation and others to eternal damnation. The Catholic Church teaches that God desires the salvation of all humanity, and that every person has the free will to accept or reject God's grace.

The Catholic Church also disagree with the beliefs of the "Limited atonement" which is the belief that Jesus died only for the elect. The Catholic Church teaches that Jesus died for all humanity, and that his sacrifice on the cross is sufficient for the salvation of all people.

In summary, while the Catholic Church does not consider Calvinism to be heretical, it disagrees with certain aspects of Calvinist theology, particularly the belief in double predestination and limited atonement.
So the Catholic Church makes the decision whether a doctrine.is heretical or not?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

You don't get to speak on behalf of all Protestants.

But it is sentiments like this which make Lutherans, such as myself, have an aversion to calling ourselves "Protestant"--though we are literally the first Protestants.

The term Protestant, by the way, never had anything to do with protesting Catholicism. As the original Protestants were Catholic. The term "Protestant" refers to a specific historical event in the Holy Roman Empire. At the First Imperial Diet at Speyer, the Holy Roman Emperor allowed the princes to determine what form of religion would be okay in their regions; that meant the Evangelical princes, and their subjects, were free to put the Evangelical reforms into practice (even if Rome was deeply opposed to this). At the Second Imperial Diet at Speyer, the emperor reversed this, and demanded all the princes enforce the Roman forms and loyalty to the Pope--the Evangelical princes protested this, it was a formal protest. This was known as the Protestation at Speyer, and those princes became known as "The Protestants". In time, "Protestant" became a term which applied more broadly, especially in English usage where King Henry VIII, who declared the English Church independent from Rome, still opposed "Protestantism". As time marched on, "Protestant" continued to grow in scope, not just referring to the Magisterial reform movements in Mainland Europe (aka Lutheran and Reformed), but would come to include the Radical Reformation, the English Reformation, and various post-Reformation movements such as the various Non-Conformist groups that emerged in Britain and her colonies in the 17th and 18th centuries (e.g. Baptists, Quakers, Methodists). New religious movements that emerged in the United States after its independence, also came under the "Protestant" monicker, no matter how far and removed they were from the spirit and teaching of the Reformation itself.

Today, in the United States "Protestant" and "Evangelical" are terms which mean very different things than they meant in the 16th century.

As an Evangelical Protestant, in the original sense of those terms--a Lutheran--I have far more in common with both Rome and Constantinople than I do with what "Protestant" means in a modern American context.

I love holy images. I receive and celebrate the Holy Sacraments as the insitution of Christ my God, as precious Means of Grace through which God works faith, justifies me, sanctifies me, and converts me. I rejoice in the holiness of the Mass, where I receive the true flesh and blood of Jesus Christ my Savior and hear the precious and holy word of God which declares the Good News of my salvation.

From where I sit, it is usually other "Protestants" who put faith into their works for salvation, who deny the power and efficaciosness of God's grace, and turn religion into a system of pious merit in which one's righteousness before God must be earned.

I'm not saved by believing the right things--that would be putting faith in my own works for salvation.

I'm saved by the once and done and perfect work of Christ, which I receive freely as pure grace in and through Word and Sacrament, whereby God in His infinite kindness declares me just for Christ's sake, and rescues me from the bondage of sin, death, hell, and the devil. I am, in Christ, a freeman; on the basis of what He has done, and what He gives, alone. That's Good News. Solus Chrisus, Christ alone saves me. Solus Christus Salvator.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟700,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello.

I don't know what denomination this thread is specific to, but everyone on the planet who is not part of reformed theology faith has decried Calvinism as heresy after fully and 100% misrepresenting the teachings thereof...

Hey ho from a Calvinist! :clap: lol...

It does look like this isn't a thread I would be invited to by anyone but @chevyontheriver so everyone can happily find the Calvinists in the Semper Reformada forum.

Much love ❤️

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟895,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not accept TULIP and believe those beliefs to be unorthodox, and even heretical IMO. It makes God look like an angry parent that wants to punish us. Calvinists are our separated brethren and should be treated with deep dignity and respect as our brothers and sisters in Christ.
I think a better analogy, according to Calvinist doctrine, would be that God would be a parent who intentionally had children for the specific purpose of punishing them for failing to meet impossible expectations that He placed upon them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.