If governor signs bill, parents can't opt their children out of being forced to watch sex education video

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
They must want it. When academia declares that the subject itself is racist against their students, how are we going to believe that they're then going to teach it as accurately and completely as they can?

My black teachers didn't...and we were 'way ahead of most of today's black children in the same grade levels.

Sowell and I came to similar conclusions from slightly different directions, however we both agree that "acting white" in this case is acting like whites of the "cracker" social class. And I'd point out something Sowell doesn't in that there had been up to three different ways black people "acted white" depending on the social classes of the whites they were mimicking.

There was a now-defunct black culture of freedmen in the Northeast that lasted until the late 1800s/early 1900s. There has also been a black slave culture derived from aristocratic slave owners (to the extent that the US had an aristocracy) from Maryland to South Carolina. Then there was the black slave culture derived from the low-class ("cracker") slave owners of the deep South, from Georgia and around the Gulf Coast states. Most blacks today in the urban centers are from that third class, migrating out of the rural south during the Great Northern Migration of the early 20th century.
So what is "acting white" anyway? You had a successful military career, I gather, was it because you acted white? Or because you acted military?

I was a good white boy, went to college and learned how to act white but I never liked it. Fortunately, I had picked up a skilled trade and didn't have to act any more. Now that I am too old and stupid to work as a machinist I have trained legions of men and women of color and that's the attitude I bring to it: you master this trade and those white guys in suits will have to kiss your you-know-what no matter what color it is.
However, when "acting white" means acting like "cracker" whites, it's certainly not going to help their situation. Even low-class whites have to learn how to act like a higher class in order to get much ahead.
Or they can play the "victim" card like the left is trying to get minorities to do. They've even got their own political party now and a bizarre apparition of a presidential candidate. I wonder how that will work out for them?

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
And exactly how do they do that? Say you have a classroom with 30 kids. 17 of them white, 6 are black 5 are Hispanic and 2 are Asian. How does the teacher take all those backgrounds into account when teaching the kids how to write or do math? Shes got an hour to do it. Oh and by the way all of them except for 2 Hispanic kids were born in the US.
Different cultures have different learning styles, different attitudes about how students react to a given school environment, even different ways of doing math (think about long division, that "L" shaped bracket you make, where you put the divisor and dividend, etc. There are a dozen different ways of doing it which would seem like irrational squiggles to a western math teacher) or reading (think about changing from a pictographic alphabet to a phonetic alphabet, or from an alphabet which has no vowels) It's easier to help them along if you know where they are coming from about it.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what is "acting white" anyway? You had a successful military career, I gather, was it because you acted white? Or because you acted military?
I've had that discussion with other black military men. Many of us have been accused of that. During the Vietnam War, even the North Vietnamese accused us of that. That has been an ironic situation for black men in the American military since the Civil War. It's also one of the reasons black people can't talk about "those Colonizers" in the presence of any Native Americans.
I was a good white boy, went to college and learned how to act white but I never liked it. Fortunately, I had picked up a skilled trade and didn't have to act any more. Now that I am too old and stupid to work as a machinist I have trained legions of men and women of color and that's the attitude I bring to it: you master this trade and those white guys in suits will have to kiss your you-know-what no matter what color it is.
I've said before: Everyone code-switches. It's not a problem if black people do it, too.
Or they can play the "victim" card like the left is trying to get minorities to do. They've even got their own political party now and a bizarre apparition of a presidential candidate. I wonder how that will work out for them?
The "victim card" is a key part of Critical Theory in all its permutations.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Different cultures have different learning styles, different attitudes about how students react to a given school environment, even different ways of doing math (think about long division, that "L" shaped bracket you make, where you put the divisor and dividend, etc. There are a dozen different ways of doing it which would seem like irrational squiggles to a western math teacher) or reading (think about changing from a pictographic alphabet to a phonetic alphabet, or from an alphabet which has no vowels) It's easier to help them along if you know where they are coming from about it.
The teacher is not going to know all those different ways, nor should be expected to. Those students will have to adapt, and they do and always have. It's a particular modern idea that they can't...and it's that "racism of low expectations" that they can't.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The teacher is not going to know all those different ways, nor should be expected to. Those students will have to adapt, and they do and always have. It's a particular modern idea that they can't...and it's that "racism of low expectations" that they can't.
The teacher is going to find out over time if he is paying the least bit of attention and has something other than a bigoted attitude about other cultures. I work mostly with adults and have collected the different paper and pencil math algorithms from around the world they have shown me. Very interesting, and comparing them is a good teaching tool. Of course they can adapt. Who' says they can't? What I say, is that it makes my job easier if I take some cognizance of the diverse cultural elements they bring to the classroom. I don't know why you find that reprehensible.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The teacher is going to find out over time if he is paying the least bit of attention and has something other than a bigoted attitude about other cultures. I work mostly with adults and have collected the different paper and pencil math algorithms from around the world they have shown me. Very interesting, and comparing them is a good teaching tool. Of course they can adapt. Who' says they can't? What I say, is that it makes my job easier if I take some cognizance of the diverse cultural elements they bring to the classroom. I don't know why you find that reprehensible.
It's not practicable.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It's not practicable.
I don't find it the least bit difficult. It takes little time or effort and it makes my job more agreeable. You can just write me off as totally "woke" and go to the devil.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't find it the least bit difficult. It takes little time or effort and it makes my job more agreeable. You can just write me off as totally "woke" and go to the devil.
Are you an elementary school teacher? Are you teaching a classroom of kids several different international methods of of long division? Are you also teaching them in each of the different languages they speak at home?

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Are you an elementary school teacher?
I have taught elementary school math a time or two.
Are you teaching a classroom of kids several different international methods of of long division?
Why should I do that? All that I need to find out is if a student was fumbling his long division, was it because he didn't know it or because he had previously been taught another method. I don't even need to know what it was (though I would expect him to show me) just being aware that the possibility exists is enough for me to be able to correct him appropriately. I don't have to bore him with an unnecessary explanation of the principles of long division, merely show him how to re-arrange the numbers on the paper and move on.

But I am really getting concerned that conservatives find that kind of thing so odious. It doesn't bode well for the future of math education
Are you also teaching them in each of the different languages they speak at home?
Not if the language of instruction was English.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why should I do that? All that I need to find out is if a student was fumbling his long division, was it because he didn't know it or because he had previously been taught another method. I don't even need to know what it was (though I would expect him to show me) just being aware that the possibility exists is enough for me to be able to correct him appropriately. I don't have to bore him with an unnecessary explanation of the principles of long division, merely show him how to re-arrange the numbers on the paper and move on.
That's A.
But I am really getting concerned that conservatives find that kind of thing so odious. It doesn't bode well for the future of math education

Not if the language of instruction was English.
That's B.

What is the difference between A and B?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That's A.

That's B.

What is the difference between A and B?
I don't see what you are getting at. In A, I use my cross cultural knowledge to improve my teaching In B, I am using the specified language of instruction.Though I will cheat sometimes. For example, people often struggle with the concept of percentage, not having realized that "percent" is just a Latin word for an ordinary fraction with a denominator of 100. With Hispanics, the concept is easy to get across because the Spanish phrase for "percent" is almost identical to the phrase for "over 100." In general, though, sticking to the language of instruction is important, because the overall goal is learning the subject in that language. We had a Turkish exchange student when my kids were in high school. She had already finished secondary school in Turkey but she wanted to be an engineer and for some strange reason the language of instruction in Turkish engineering schools is English. So she came to America for a year and took math, physics and chemistry over again in English to become fluent in the vocabulary.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,614.00
Faith
Pentecostal
No, it's not. It's mind-boggling stupid, and teachers like that should be cashiered on the spot, along with their curriculum advisers, but it's not CRT, even if they try to misuse CRT to justify such egregious behavior.
Yes it is. I don't think you understand what CRT teaches or what it's principles are.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,614.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Different people have different learning styles. Tell me what the difference in learning styles is between a black kid, white, Native American kid, a Hispanic kid and an Asian kid all born in the US. I have a different learning style than my mom did and my wife has.

How exactly is a teacher supposed to accommodate all of that in the space of an hour during English class?

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Different people have different learning styles. Tell me what the difference in learning styles is between a black kid, white, Native American kid, a Hispanic kid and an Asian kid all born in the US. I have a different learning style than my mom did and my wife has.

How exactly is a teacher supposed to accommodate all of that in the space of an hour during English class?
Because you observe them not just for an hour, but day after day for an hour. You discuss them with other teachers over the same extended time period. And, you are right, individual differences in learning style generally swamp any cultural differences even within the cultural group and the differences are usually slight in any case. But to overgeneralize, Native Americans are more likely to be visual learners, black kids do well at group work while Asians do not, etc. The point is, that awareness of these differences can function as a diagnostic tool if a kid is faltering at some task and you want to help him in the most efficient way.

So there, it's Sunday morning, time for church. You and RDKirk can go and pray for deliverance from the "woke" atrocities that I have revealed are being inflicted on our public school students every day even if CRT is not in the curriculum, even charter schools are not safe from it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,614.00
Faith
Pentecostal
How did you find out? Give me a source, if you can.
I did a lot of research and read books. I think you can do that too. Read things that tell you exactly what it is who support it and read things from those who don't. Research where it came from and it's roots. And whatever you do dont get stuck on the idea in order to teach CRT you have to teach the entire theory as a College level course in order to be teaching CRT. The principles of CRT can be taught and broken down so that you can incorporate it in to lessons that are not College level courses. Just like any other subject can be.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I did a lot of research and read books. I think you can do that too. Read things that tell you exactly what it is who support it and read things from those who don't. Research where it came from and it's roots. And whatever you do dont get stuck on the idea in order to teach CRT you have to teach the entire theory as a College level course in order to be teaching CRT. The principles of CRT can be taught and broken down so that you can incorporate it in to lessons that are not College level courses. Just like any other subject can be.
I am not stuck on that idea, and I realize that the principles derived (or mis-derived) from CRT can be misused, as in that awful business in Seattle you were on about. After thinking about it, I retract my suggestion that the teachers involved should be fired. They should instead be arrested for child abuse. But CRT is an abstract theory about legal institutions. You make a mistake when you make CRT the scapegoat for incidents like those in Seattle. It won't help you to solve the problem of the people who try and justify their behavior with it. You are rather in the position of a person who blames the evils of the eugenics movement entirely on Darwin, and believes that all you need to do to make the problem go away is to suppress his writings.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,614.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Because you observe them not just for an hour, but day after day for an hour. You discuss them with other teachers over the same extended time period. And, you are right, individual differences in learning style generally swamp any cultural differences even within the cultural group and the differences are usually slight in any case. But to overgeneralize, Native Americans are more likely to be visual learners, black kids do well at group work while Asians do not, etc. The point is, that awareness of these differences can function as a diagnostic tool if a kid is faltering at some task and you want to help him in the most efficient way.

So there, it's Sunday morning, time for church. You and RDKirk can go and pray for deliverance from the "woke" atrocities that I have revealed are being inflicted on our public school students every day even if CRT is not in the curriculum, even charter schools are not safe from it.
If a kid is struggling in school it always a teachers job to try and help the child. Find out out why. There are MANY reasons why a child might be having a problem and gaining an understanding as to how a child learns best is great diagnostic tool for sure. Teachers learn this now. Only they primarily focus on the need of the individual child rather than on a specific race of the child and their so called culture. There are FAR to many cultures to try and pin that down even in different races. Chinese vs Japanese vs Korean. Crow vs Sioux vs Blackfeet. Southern vs Northwestern. East vs West. Rural vs urban. Teachers do not have time to sort this all out in a classroom. If a kid is struggling they look at the kid as an individual and not as a race. They don't have time to create a classroom that can cater to the vast numbers of cultural impacts on the students.

• Winner
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,614.00
Faith
Pentecostal
You make a mistake when you make CRT the scapegoat for incidents like those in Seattle. It won't help you to solve the problem of the people who try and justify their behavior with it. You are rather in the position of a person who blames the evils of the eugenics movement entirely on Darwin, and believes that all you need to do to make the problem go away is to suppress his writings.
CRT isn't a scapegoat. It's the education system that allows it to be used. Sometimes we just have to be honest as say this is a bad theory and is detrimental. Just because a name that sounds good doesn't mean it is good. We need better critical thinking. Just cause something is called Critical Race Theory and it has to do with race doesn't mean it's good, valid or legitimate theory. And it certainly doesn't mean it's principles ought to be taught to kids.

The teacher is totally at fault for teaching it and the educational system is at fault for allowing it or thinking it's a good plan.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If a kid is struggling in school it always a teachers job to try and help the child. Find out out why. There are MANY reasons why a child might be having a problem and gaining an understanding as to how a child learns best is great diagnostic tool for sure.
But using information about a child's cultural background to help gain this understanding is BAD. OK.
Teachers learn this now.
They also learn how to use information about a child's cultural background to better understand them as individuals, but we will have to cancel that part of their training because it's BAD. OK
Only they primarily focus on the need of the individual child rather than on a specific race of the child and their so called culture.
I hadn't thought about bringing race into this discussion, but your comment about "so-called" culture suggests that you believe that some races don't have culture. Can you tell us which ones those are?
There are FAR to many cultures to try and pin that down even in different races. Chinese vs Japanese vs Korean. Crow vs Sioux vs Blackfeet. Southern vs Northwestern. East vs West. Rural vs urban.
Yes, it all sounds way too difficult. But if you take the course in grad school about it you will earn that it is not as difficult as it sounds to you now.
Teachers do not have time to sort this all out in a classroom.
That's why they take a course in it in grad school.
If a kid is struggling they look at the kid as an individual and not as a race.
They always look at a kid as an individual, even when taking known facts about cultural background into account. I still don't see that this has anything to do with race. Maybe you mean those races you identified as not having any culture?
They don't have time to create a classroom that can cater to the vast numbers of cultural impacts on the students.
No, they don't need to create a classroom. One is usually provided for them, curriculum, too.

Upvote 0