Feb 21, 2017
Illinois
Visit site
✟128,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello =) I work for hospice and at times some of the people I work with are Jewish. I am Christian and understand what kinds of things to say to a dying person and their family of the different branches of Christianity (Catholic/Baptist) and the rituals/prayers/hopes/beliefs etc.....

I never thought to directly ask, but I do want to understand....

But what kinds of things would be important to say/not say to someone (or their family) of the Jewish faith as they are dying?

Words of comfort?
Life after death?
Rituals?
Prayers?

I would appreciate any input.
Thank you =)

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
If you bring up Jesus, you will only offend them, as they will consider it idolatry. Personally, I wouldn't bring it up, unless the Jew that I'm serving asks me what my own beliefs are, and then only very gently.

If they believe they are dying, they will say the Shema, "Hear O Israel, The Lord is God, the Lord is One" although they'll say it in Hebrew, "Shema Yisrael, Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai Echad."

You should ask them their own views on the afterlife, since many Jews do not themselves believe in it.

Ask them if they would like to talk about the resurrection and HaOlam Haba (the World to Come). Heaven is called Gan Eden (the Garden of Eden) and hell/purgatory is call Gehinnom. Jews who believe in heaven and hell/purgatory are concerned about God's justice. They also don't think perfection is the standard for entrance into heaven.

Daniel 12:2 — “Many of those that sleep in the dust of the earth will awake, some to eternal life, others to reproaches, to everlasting abhorrence” — implies that resurrection will be followed by a day of judgment. Those judged favorably will live forever and those judged to be wicked will be punished.

Here is a good website that can give you the basics on Jewish teaching of the afterlife, which is notoriously ambiguous.Is There A Jewish Afterlife?

In the end, you just have to go Jew by Jew, asking each what they believe and tailor what you say to the needs of each.

Upvote 0

Muslim-UK

Oct 11, 2015
✟14,751.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
If you bring up Jesus, you will only offend them, as they will consider it idolatry. Personally, I wouldn't bring it up, unless the Jew that I'm serving asks me what my own beliefs are, and then only very gently.
Possibly a local Rabbi should be able to attend to those close to death.

If they believe they are dying, they will say the Shema, "Hear O Israel, The Lord is God, the Lord is One" although they'll say it in Hebrew, "Shema Yisrael, Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai Echad."
This is more than sufficient for any soul that's ready for the life to come.

Here is a good website that can give you the basics on Jewish teaching of the afterlife, which is notoriously ambiguous.Is There A Jewish Afterlife?
I can see where the confusion comes from.

The author writes, "Many questions remain, however. If the sources that refer to the World to Come are referring to Gan Eden, then what is the world of the resurrected? And if judgment immediately follows death, then what need is there for the judgment that will follow the resurrection?"

In my faith, the soul of a believer is taken by the Angel of Death to the gates of the First Heaven, then the Second, Third, Fourth etc until it meets GOD Almighty, the book is then sealed and the soul handed over to Angels of Mercy. It is then scented, shrouded and placed back in the body of the deceased on Earth. Once the Earthly body is buried, then a symbolic gesture takes place; 2 Angels descend and question the Soul, this is the Judgement the author is likely talking about. Following this, the grave is extended as far as the eye can see and the believer rests in peace.

You lay in the grave until the Trumpet is blown and all mankind raised for final Judgement which takes place for all to see. Everyone will be witness to what every single soul has earned, this is justice and transparancey from GOD, so nobody can say, 'How did so and so manage to get into Heaven?' etc

Upvote 0

Mippop

Apr 1, 2016
Simi Valley, CA
✟15,760.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hello =) I work for hospice and at times some of the people I work with are Jewish. I am Christian and understand what kinds of things to say to a dying person and their family of the different branches of Christianity (Catholic/Baptist) and the rituals/prayers/hopes/beliefs etc.....

But what kinds of things would be important to say/not say to someone (or their family) of the Jewish faith as they are dying?

Words of comfort?
Life after death?
Rituals?
Prayers?

Thank you =)

Upvote 0

Mippop

Apr 1, 2016
Simi Valley, CA
✟15,760.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Jews generally have a very different outlook on life and death than do Christians. What I have come to understand about the Christian outlook is that the purpose of life is but a supreme test for one's status of eternal being after death.
In contrast, Judaism is about life itself with very little importance on what happens personally after death. The universal toast throughout Judaism is "l'Chaim!" which literally translates to "To life!". What I believe Christians fail to understand is the the Jewish understanding of the meaning of life. As a Jew, life is not simply about me and what happens between my birth and my death. For me, the concept of life most importantly includes my fulfillment of the meaning of the lives of my ancestors and preparation of my descendants for their own lives in caring for their own descentants. What happens to me personally after I die is relatively unimportant. The Torah simply alludes to the statement that I will sleep with my ancestors. The Torah also says that what is beyond this world of the living is God's business alone. So, in my opinion, the best response to a dying Jew is a discussion of what they have achieved for the benefit of the living who will remain. As such, ongoing life is the eternity that Jews pray for. Another important phrase for Jews is "l'dor v'dor" which translates to "from generation to generation".

Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

Words of comfort?
Life after death?
Rituals?
Prayers?

Thank you =)
Talk to a rabbi.

Upvote 0