U.S.A.
Visit site
✟8,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
To All:

My reasons for starting this thread are out of obedience to the Lord and because so many of us seem to be struggling to grow in Him. While I in no way know all there is to know of Him, and seek daily to learn from Him - both directly through His Word and His Spirit and from others who sit at His feet in Love - He continues to prompt me to take the risk and share what I have learned.

After He led me to share the following in another thread, He is now telling me to put this here. (In fact, in His gentle way, He will not leave me alone about it!) My constant prayer is to be pleasing to Him always, and be a blessing in some small way to others. And so it is with humility before Him that I offer this.

All I ask is that others will also post here what they have learned and are learning, that we may all grow in Him and come to the unity of faith, bonded together with Him in the Spirit of His great Love.

There was a time in my life when I did not think God liked me very much, when my whole life seemed to go from misery to misery. Yet, I believed; I knew the Bible very well; and I knew there was a love in me for Him. But I could never seem to get close to Him, and never really saw any specific answers to my prayers. I always felt as if I was following Jesus from way back in the crowd; as if I was climbing hills, only to catch a glimpse of Him going over another hill far in front of me. Finally, I just got fed up and told Him, "Lord. I don't care if You like me or not! I am still going to love You!" And right then, I made up my mind to know Him personally.

So what I would like to offer you are some practical steps that He led me to take (although at the time, I did not realize it was Him leading me) that He used to grow me and teach me and help me find Him. And what a difference this has made in my own prayer life.

1) Guard your tongue. Become aware of what you say out loud, for your words can rob you of any blessings He has for you. No matter how you feel, how depressed you get, etc., don't allow yourself to start speaking from those feelings. There are a multitude of scripture in the both the OT and NT which teach this.

2) Praise God. This truly helps in guarding the words of your mouth as well as overcoming negative feelings. You don't have to try to conjure up reasons for praising Him for the situation, just make up your mind to praise Him in the situation. He lead me (and I still do this at times when necessary) to say out loud: "I praise you Father that I am not moved by my feelings, but only by your Word. I praise you Father that I am not moved by what others say about me, but only by your Word." And so on. Truly, praise works!

3) Get His Word from your mind to your spirit. Two ways to help with this are (a) to never read the Bible without praying first, asking the Holy Spirit to guide you in it; to open your heart to receive what He is teaching you; to open your understanding to grasp it. Etc. And (b) go through the NT finding every passage where it talks about who we are in Christ and who He is in us. In other words, everything positive that applies to us being new creatures in Him. Make a tape recording of your own voice saying these passages, applying them to yourself. Our spirits pay attention to what we say, and since it is with our hearts that we believe - not our minds - by saying His Word aloud we can re-program our inner man according to that Word. Example: "I am the Righteousness of God in Christ." Then, play that tape! I would put on headphones at night and play it as I went to sleep, night after night for weeks.

4) Don't try to believe for more than you have faith to believe. Faith is like a muscle; it must be exercised in order to grow. Just as you would not begin lifting weights with the maximum amount - the goal you want to reach - until you built up to it, so don't try to believe too far beyond what you know you can believe for. Judging this is tricky, I agree. But you have to start somewhere and I believe the Lord will guide you. Many, many times I have wanted to believe, but had to admit I really did not have that big of faith. Don't set yourself up to fail; but don't set your sights too low either. Exercise your faith and it will grow, until you can believe for big miracles.

5) Make it your primary goal to know Christ Jesus. More than anything else, seek to know the Giver rather than the gift. Humble yourself - in your attitude especially - before Him and trust Him to guide you. Remember that love is not a feeling, rather love causes feelings. We know He loves us - just like we know anyone loves us - because He says He does. His love for us is not dependent upon our feelings about it, anymore than our parents love for us was dependent upon our feelings. Realizing this is extremely important in our being able to trust Him, for our trust - our faith - is very much dependent upon our knowing and believing in His love for us in Christ. And we know He loves us because His Word says He does, and God does not lie.

6) Remember we have an enemy and he is a liar! Daniel prayed and even though the Lord heard his prayer the first day, it took 21 days for the answer to come. Pray, believe (because of His Word) that in the Name of Jesus we can be sure that the Father hears and answers our prayers, and then persevere in thanking Him for answering our prayer. The enemy delights in robbing of us of our joy, faith, confidence, peace, etc., as well as the answers to our prayers. Stay the course!

7) Practice listening. Set some time (20-30 minutes) aside each day to sit quietly before the Lord. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. Get a notebook and write what you hear inside. Don't worry about getting big revelations - because you probably won't; and don't worry if you don't get anything - because you may not for awhile. Consider it as you would any conversation: both sides talk in a conversation, not just one. So you are allowing the Lord His opportunity to speak to you and not you just talking to Him. And write down what comes to you. And even when you do begin to hear from Him, don't expect some earth-shattering revelations. For a long time the Lord had me practice this, just to learn how to hear Him no matter what was going on around me. And I am still learning. But measure everything you hear against His Word! And seek to be obedient to what He tells you. It is when we are faithful on the little things that He will trust us with bigger things.

8) Seek His will first and always. The Lord will never get in line with us; we must always get in line with Him. In all your prayers - for others as well as for yourself, seek His will.

May the Lord bless others through this, and continue to bless us all in the coming posts from His faithful ones.

LeastOne

Very sincere post and I like the way you said this, made me smile .... "Lord. I don't care if You like me or not! I am still going to love You!" Then you add you made up your mind to personally know him. Many love the Lord, but don't have that personal relationship with him. It is all about encouraging and I think that line you said will make people think. I don't know if we can exchange emails on this site, but what I like is that you did mention few things that I wrote about. Good post!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Very sincere post and I like the way you said this, made me smile .... "Lord. I don't care if You like me or not! I am still going to love You!" Then you add you made up your mind to personally know him. Many love the Lord, but don't have that personal relationship with him. It is all about encouraging and I think that line you said will make people think. I don't know if we can exchange emails on this site, but what I like is that you did mention few things that I wrote about. Good post!
"Lord. I don't care if You like me or not! I am still going to love You!"

Hahahaaa! LOVE this!!! I have GOT to meditate on this.

Precious,

Thank you.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
To All:

My reasons for starting this thread are out of obedience to the Lord and because so many of us seem to be struggling to grow in Him. While I in no way know all there is to know of Him, and seek daily to learn from Him - both directly through His Word and His Spirit and from others who sit at His feet in Love - He continues to prompt me to take the risk and share what I have learned.

After He led me to share the following in another thread, He is now telling me to put this here. (In fact, in His gentle way, He will not leave me alone about it!) My constant prayer is to be pleasing to Him always, and be a blessing in some small way to others. And so it is with humility before Him that I offer this.

All I ask is that others will also post here what they have learned and are learning, that we may all grow in Him and come to the unity of faith, bonded together with Him in the Spirit of His great Love.

There was a time in my life when I did not think God liked me very much, when my whole life seemed to go from misery to misery. Yet, I believed; I knew the Bible very well; and I knew there was a love in me for Him. But I could never seem to get close to Him, and never really saw any specific answers to my prayers. I always felt as if I was following Jesus from way back in the crowd; as if I was climbing hills, only to catch a glimpse of Him going over another hill far in front of me. Finally, I just got fed up and told Him, "Lord. I don't care if You like me or not! I am still going to love You!" And right then, I made up my mind to know Him personally.

So what I would like to offer you are some practical steps that He led me to take (although at the time, I did not realize it was Him leading me) that He used to grow me and teach me and help me find Him. And what a difference this has made in my own prayer life.

1) Guard your tongue. Become aware of what you say out loud, for your words can rob you of any blessings He has for you. No matter how you feel, how depressed you get, etc., don't allow yourself to start speaking from those feelings. There are a multitude of scripture in the both the OT and NT which teach this.

2) Praise God. This truly helps in guarding the words of your mouth as well as overcoming negative feelings. You don't have to try to conjure up reasons for praising Him for the situation, just make up your mind to praise Him in the situation. He lead me (and I still do this at times when necessary) to say out loud: "I praise you Father that I am not moved by my feelings, but only by your Word. I praise you Father that I am not moved by what others say about me, but only by your Word." And so on. Truly, praise works!

3) Get His Word from your mind to your spirit. Two ways to help with this are (a) to never read the Bible without praying first, asking the Holy Spirit to guide you in it; to open your heart to receive what He is teaching you; to open your understanding to grasp it. Etc. And (b) go through the NT finding every passage where it talks about who we are in Christ and who He is in us. In other words, everything positive that applies to us being new creatures in Him. Make a tape recording of your own voice saying these passages, applying them to yourself. Our spirits pay attention to what we say, and since it is with our hearts that we believe - not our minds - by saying His Word aloud we can re-program our inner man according to that Word. Example: "I am the Righteousness of God in Christ." Then, play that tape! I would put on headphones at night and play it as I went to sleep, night after night for weeks.

4) Don't try to believe for more than you have faith to believe. Faith is like a muscle; it must be exercised in order to grow. Just as you would not begin lifting weights with the maximum amount - the goal you want to reach - until you built up to it, so don't try to believe too far beyond what you know you can believe for. Judging this is tricky, I agree. But you have to start somewhere and I believe the Lord will guide you. Many, many times I have wanted to believe, but had to admit I really did not have that big of faith. Don't set yourself up to fail; but don't set your sights too low either. Exercise your faith and it will grow, until you can believe for big miracles.

5) Make it your primary goal to know Christ Jesus. More than anything else, seek to know the Giver rather than the gift. Humble yourself - in your attitude especially - before Him and trust Him to guide you. Remember that love is not a feeling, rather love causes feelings. We know He loves us - just like we know anyone loves us - because He says He does. His love for us is not dependent upon our feelings about it, anymore than our parents love for us was dependent upon our feelings. Realizing this is extremely important in our being able to trust Him, for our trust - our faith - is very much dependent upon our knowing and believing in His love for us in Christ. And we know He loves us because His Word says He does, and God does not lie.

6) Remember we have an enemy and he is a liar! Daniel prayed and even though the Lord heard his prayer the first day, it took 21 days for the answer to come. Pray, believe (because of His Word) that in the Name of Jesus we can be sure that the Father hears and answers our prayers, and then persevere in thanking Him for answering our prayer. The enemy delights in robbing of us of our joy, faith, confidence, peace, etc., as well as the answers to our prayers. Stay the course!

7) Practice listening. Set some time (20-30 minutes) aside each day to sit quietly before the Lord. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. Get a notebook and write what you hear inside. Don't worry about getting big revelations - because you probably won't; and don't worry if you don't get anything - because you may not for awhile. Consider it as you would any conversation: both sides talk in a conversation, not just one. So you are allowing the Lord His opportunity to speak to you and not you just talking to Him. And write down what comes to you. And even when you do begin to hear from Him, don't expect some earth-shattering revelations. For a long time the Lord had me practice this, just to learn how to hear Him no matter what was going on around me. And I am still learning. But measure everything you hear against His Word! And seek to be obedient to what He tells you. It is when we are faithful on the little things that He will trust us with bigger things.

8) Seek His will first and always. The Lord will never get in line with us; we must always get in line with Him. In all your prayers - for others as well as for yourself, seek His will.

May the Lord bless others through this, and continue to bless us all in the coming posts from His faithful ones.

LeastOne
Finally, I just got fed up and told Him, "Lord. I don't care if You like me or not! I am still going to love You!" And right then, I made up my mind to know Him personally.

:heart: Soooooo precious. God bless you, leastone. I pray all is well. (((hug)))

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟200,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: —Ephesians 4:14-15 (KJV)

255210_141b32f95624d4e37f9f8a91fec4b1e8.jpg

Upvote 0

joshcorn

Oct 27, 2017
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
✟14,533.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes walking and talking with Jesus , knowing His voice is the best.Getting baptized in the Holy Spirit and getting to Knowing Him as a person and what He does as a helper as Jesus said He would be.Without Him your growth in the things of God never get far.This is the road to Sonship .

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

joshcorn

Oct 27, 2017
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
✟14,533.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is good to see there are Christians that have experienced Jesus as their first love. Your Heart aches to know him. Knowing His voice and speaking to Him is the place to learn by revelation.
Jesus can not be put in a box He can speak to you in ways you would never dream of.
I will tell you of one that happened in my early years of walking with the Lord. There is phrase that I say and remind myself from time to time. This is Jesus saying it,[don't do what I said but do what I am doing.
To often we look in the bible and do what he said in the bible. We do not fallow His example. He said He never did anything but He sees His Father doing. John 5-19.
Back to not putting Jesus in a box. I had a season where the Lord asked me to visit the elderly section of the hospital every Friday afternoon. I was doing this for awhile and praying for one He showed me to pray for. A few months later on a wen day He spoke to me and said go today and now is a good time. I said OK. When I got there He named one person to go see. No this is going to stretch some of you. When I got to her bedside the Lord said I am going to speak to you through Her mouth. I said to the Lord this I got to see. She was very old and almost a vegetable and she never spoke all the time I would visit her. She was just laying there and I wondering if she was even alive. The Lord said pray. I always mostly prayer in tongues then,a minute had not gone by when she sat up in bed all wide eyed. She did not say anything. I ashed her did God speak to you. She nodded her head yes, I said What did he say. She said I forget. The Lord said pray again so I did and all of a sudden ,in a loud voice she says,be at Safeway tomorrow at three.
No this is really stretching me. The next day I am there at two thirty. That was to much time for me I soon learned. My imagination got away from me. The greatest shopping store parking lot revival was about to start and God was going to us methane ha.
At three sharp a christian friend that I had not seen for at least a year show up. We talked and fellowship ed there for a long time,The presence of God was awesome. We parted and I though I must have missed it. A couple of weeks later I saw her again and we talked. She told me the day we talk at the store she was going through a few weeks of depression,She was at home doing dishes and talking to the Lord and said Lord I need to talk to someone. She hear the Lord say go shopping at Safeway now. This is where we meet and talked. She told me that day was the day her depression broke. That was a blessing for both of us.
On the way home the Lord gave me a scripture.
Isaiah 65-24

And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer;
and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.
That scripture for me is so alive in me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
✟200,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
GROWING IN CHRIST
So Walk Ye In Jesus

6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. —Colossians 2:6-7 (KJV)

265702_11a150829ca9a331d26da10783317680.jpg

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
✟200,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To All:

9) Confess your sins; get cleansed in the Blood of Jesus. The enemy gains influence over us through sin in our lives. No matter how great or small the sin, we are left exposed when that sin goes unforgiven. It does not matter if you have to bring the same sin before the Father day after day, do it. Never run from the Lord when you sin, rather turn to Him. And if you do not think you have anything to confess, ask the Holy Spirit to bring to your remembrance any sin you have unknowingly done. Then confess what comes to mind. So much of the time we say and think and do things that we never realize are sin. But what a difference in our relationship with the Lord it makes when we are honest with Him.

10) Fall in love with Jesus. If you base your walk with the Lord on your feelings, it will fail. If you base it on your understanding of His Word, it will fail. If you base it on your faith, it will fail. But if you base your walk with the Lord on love, it will succeed. Love never fails. Love establishes a foundation for everything else: trust, confidence, peace, faith, courage, joy. More than anything else, receive His love in your deepest parts and make everything you do a response to that love.

LeastOne
@leastone, Thank you brother for starting this post (Dated: OCT-2013) and sharing these words of wisdom. I believe they will have stood the test of time. While a notebook and tape recorder have long been replaced by a laptop computer, which is now the working tool of a God-fearing man of faith, whom seeks the Almighty to help him grow in Christ, I still keep notebooks strategically placed around the house, because I have entered that season of life.

God's Holy Word has lead me through many a troubled time; and it has always been God's Will that ultimately, and gloriously, prevailed, in all things good. With 14 years and counting since your original post, I'm curious how, if at all, you would modify your original message—that is, if you would care to share...

I pray all is well with you. Thank God for inspiring you to share these words of wisdom; which evidently, are still being read and discussed by the NEW BEES (newbies) here on Christian Forums. God bless you and your household.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Nov 29, 2017
Wisconsin
✟15,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To All:

LeastOne

HALLELUJAH Praise His precious name -

Upvote 0

Blessed15

Dec 16, 2017
Harare
✟15,213.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To All:

LeastOne

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To All:

LeastOne

Excellent post. I can certainly relate to being guided by Jesus but only recognising that retrospectively.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

SpiritSong

The LORD is my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Southeastern United States
✟148,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
This is going to be heartfelt, because I feel I am not as close to Jesus and I was when I first fell in love with Him. He rescued me from a horrible life back then. I am grateful still. However, life has become routine now and I kind of forget the urgency with which I needed Him then. That was 2004 when I was saved. So much has happened since then. My mentors say I have grown in Christ so much and that I am doing very well. I read my Bible every morning. I also am reading a special book for Lent. (I am Methodist). I pray when I think of it. I pray when I am asked to. I love nature. (I know I feel closer to Him while in His creation than in man made places). I just wish I could feel the holy fire I felt when first I accepted Him as Lord and Savior. Does anyone else feel this way? Am I making any sense??

Upvote 0