Texas
Visit site
✟16,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To All:

My reasons for starting this thread are out of obedience to the Lord and because so many of us seem to be struggling to grow in Him. While I in no way know all there is to know of Him, and seek daily to learn from Him - both directly through His Word and His Spirit and from others who sit at His feet in Love - He continues to prompt me to take the risk and share what I have learned.

After He led me to share the following in another thread, He is now telling me to put this here. (In fact, in His gentle way, He will not leave me alone about it!) My constant prayer is to be pleasing to Him always, and be a blessing in some small way to others. And so it is with humility before Him that I offer this.

All I ask is that others will also post here what they have learned and are learning, that we may all grow in Him and come to the unity of faith, bonded together with Him in the Spirit of His great Love.

There was a time in my life when I did not think God liked me very much, when my whole life seemed to go from misery to misery. Yet, I believed; I knew the Bible very well; and I knew there was a love in me for Him. But I could never seem to get close to Him, and never really saw any specific answers to my prayers. I always felt as if I was following Jesus from way back in the crowd; as if I was climbing hills, only to catch a glimpse of Him going over another hill far in front of me. Finally, I just got fed up and told Him, "Lord. I don't care if You like me or not! I am still going to love You!" And right then, I made up my mind to know Him personally.

So what I would like to offer you are some practical steps that He led me to take (although at the time, I did not realize it was Him leading me) that He used to grow me and teach me and help me find Him. And what a difference this has made in my own prayer life.

1) Guard your tongue. Become aware of what you say out loud, for your words can rob you of any blessings He has for you. No matter how you feel, how depressed you get, etc., don't allow yourself to start speaking from those feelings. There are a multitude of scripture in the both the OT and NT which teach this.

2) Praise God. This truly helps in guarding the words of your mouth as well as overcoming negative feelings. You don't have to try to conjure up reasons for praising Him for the situation, just make up your mind to praise Him in the situation. He lead me (and I still do this at times when necessary) to say out loud: "I praise you Father that I am not moved by my feelings, but only by your Word. I praise you Father that I am not moved by what others say about me, but only by your Word." And so on. Truly, praise works!

3) Get His Word from your mind to your spirit. Two ways to help with this are (a) to never read the Bible without praying first, asking the Holy Spirit to guide you in it; to open your heart to receive what He is teaching you; to open your understanding to grasp it. Etc. And (b) go through the NT finding every passage where it talks about who we are in Christ and who He is in us. In other words, everything positive that applies to us being new creatures in Him. Make a tape recording of your own voice saying these passages, applying them to yourself. Our spirits pay attention to what we say, and since it is with our hearts that we believe - not our minds - by saying His Word aloud we can re-program our inner man according to that Word. Example: "I am the Righteousness of God in Christ." Then, play that tape! I would put on headphones at night and play it as I went to sleep, night after night for weeks.

4) Don't try to believe for more than you have faith to believe. Faith is like a muscle; it must be exercised in order to grow. Just as you would not begin lifting weights with the maximum amount - the goal you want to reach - until you built up to it, so don't try to believe too far beyond what you know you can believe for. Judging this is tricky, I agree. But you have to start somewhere and I believe the Lord will guide you. Many, many times I have wanted to believe, but had to admit I really did not have that big of faith. Don't set yourself up to fail; but don't set your sights too low either. Exercise your faith and it will grow, until you can believe for big miracles.

5) Make it your primary goal to know Christ Jesus. More than anything else, seek to know the Giver rather than the gift. Humble yourself - in your attitude especially - before Him and trust Him to guide you. Remember that love is not a feeling, rather love causes feelings. We know He loves us - just like we know anyone loves us - because He says He does. His love for us is not dependent upon our feelings about it, anymore than our parents love for us was dependent upon our feelings. Realizing this is extremely important in our being able to trust Him, for our trust - our faith - is very much dependent upon our knowing and believing in His love for us in Christ. And we know He loves us because His Word says He does, and God does not lie.

6) Remember we have an enemy and he is a liar! Daniel prayed and even though the Lord heard his prayer the first day, it took 21 days for the answer to come. Pray, believe (because of His Word) that in the Name of Jesus we can be sure that the Father hears and answers our prayers, and then persevere in thanking Him for answering our prayer. The enemy delights in robbing of us of our joy, faith, confidence, peace, etc., as well as the answers to our prayers. Stay the course!

7) Practice listening. Set some time (20-30 minutes) aside each day to sit quietly before the Lord. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. Get a notebook and write what you hear inside. Don't worry about getting big revelations - because you probably won't; and don't worry if you don't get anything - because you may not for awhile. Consider it as you would any conversation: both sides talk in a conversation, not just one. So you are allowing the Lord His opportunity to speak to you and not you just talking to Him. And write down what comes to you. And even when you do begin to hear from Him, don't expect some earth-shattering revelations. For a long time the Lord had me practice this, just to learn how to hear Him no matter what was going on around me. And I am still learning. But measure everything you hear against His Word! And seek to be obedient to what He tells you. It is when we are faithful on the little things that He will trust us with bigger things.

8) Seek His will first and always. The Lord will never get in line with us; we must always get in line with Him. In all your prayers - for others as well as for yourself, seek His will.

May the Lord bless others through this, and continue to bless us all in the coming posts from His faithful ones.

LeastOne

leastone

Oct 13, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟16,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone:

Molly, thank you. The Lord greatly encourages me through you, far more than I can adequately express.

The Spirit has reminded me of some additions to this list:

9) Confess your sins; get cleansed in the Blood of Jesus. The enemy gains influence over us through sin in our lives. No matter how great or small the sin, we are left exposed when that sin goes unforgiven. It does not matter if you have to bring the same sin before the Father day after day, do it. Never run from the Lord when you sin, rather turn to Him. And if you do not think you have anything to confess, ask the Holy Spirit to bring to your remembrance any sin you have unknowingly done. Then confess what comes to mind. So much of the time we say and think and do things that we never realize are sin. But what a difference in our relationship with the Lord it makes when we are honest with Him.

10) Fall in love with Jesus. If you base your walk with the Lord on your feelings, it will fail. If you base it on your understanding of His Word, it will fail. If you base it on your faith, it will fail. But if you base your walk with the Lord on love, it will succeed. Love never fails. Love establishes a foundation for everything else: trust, confidence, peace, faith, courage, joy. More than anything else, receive His love in your deepest parts and make everything you do a response to that love.

LeastOne

Upvote 0

leastone

Oct 13, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟16,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone:

Prov. 1:23 - "Turn to My reproof: behold, I will pour out My spirit unto you, I will make known My words unto you."

Hebrews 12:6 - "For those whom the Lord loves He disciplines, and He scourges every son whom He receives."

Hebrews 12: 11 - "All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness."

Once we had two Labrador puppies and since we knew little about training dogs, we bought a book by a professional dog trainer. In it the author advised taking the pups when they were between 6 months and 1 year old to a park every day, tying a long rope to their choke collars and then walking from point to point without ever saying a word to them. At first, those pups would take off this way and that, chasing every little thing that caught their attention. We would brace ourselves (because they were big) but continue walking, never saying a word to them. Within a few days, the change in them was amazing; they would follow at our heels most of the time, only occasionally running after something. After two weeks they never took their eyes off of us. For the rest of their lives they were the most well behaved dogs you could imagine. We saw the truth of what the author wrote: wherever a dog is looking is where his attention is; so to train them, thereby making them worth having around you, you want them looking at you always.

Humans are just like dogs: wherever our focus is aimed, that is what has our attention. And the Lord wants us looking to Him always. If we are looking at others, He doesn't have our attention. If we are looking at our circumstances or problems, He doesn't have our attention. If we are looking at ourselves, He does not have our attention. And He will continue to allow adversity in our lives until He gets our full attention always.

Hebrews 12:1 - "...fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith..."

Col. 3:1 - "Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God."

To grow in Christ, pray for His discipline in your life. For when He can trust you to be obedient to Him is when you become useful to Him in His work.

Luke 6:46 - "Why do you call Me, `Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?"

LeastOne

Upvote 0
Hallelujah leastone, dont know why your name is leastone, should have been greatone, these are awesome these our everything Gods been teaching me...................................................Hallelujah thank you Jesus for confirming what you been teaching me...

Upvote 0

leastone

Oct 13, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟16,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone:

With all my heart I thank you all for your encouragement in this; only the Lord knows how much that encouragement means to me, for my deepest desire is to be pleasing to Him and be a blessing to others in some way, however small. For truly, only the Lord Jesus is the Great One and worthy of praise!

Before sharing what the Spirit has given me this morning, I must say that I am continuously amazed at how the Lord can take various events of our lives and teach us through them! So many times He has done this with me, reminding me of some trivial experience and then showing me a spiritual lesson in it. The Father is truly an awesome God!

1 Cor. 12:12 - For as the body is one, and has many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is [the Body of] Christ

Col 1:18 - He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.

Eph. 4:15 - but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ, from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.

In high school I had the pleasure of playing on an undefeated basketball team one year. None of us were particularly great players, but that one season we just clicked as a team and so played the entire year way above our individual abilities. It was as if we could read each others minds, and so game after game we made really great plays, amazing even ourselves at times, and beating opponents who did have some really good individual players.

Because we each knew that we were not that great by ourselves, we paid close attention to our coach, recognizing that he alone was the head of our team. And the result was a tremendous season, with all of us having a lot of fun all season long as well.

The next season we had a new kid who was a much better basketball player than any of the rest of us were. Everyone expected us to be even better than the year before because of this new addition but, because he did not play with the same unselfishness as we did, and continued to play the way he wanted to - and especially because he did not pay attention to what the coach said - we did not do so well that year.

And so it is with the Body of Christ.

1 Cor. 12:26 - And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.

Each of us must realize that that there is not my ministry and your ministry - there is only His ministry!

When I fail to do my part as a member of His Body, all of you suffer; if I continue to ignore Him and do what I think should be done, and say what I think should be said, then I am failing both Christ Jesus and the rest of you.

For me, recognizing the truth of this in myself - admitting to myself and especially to the Lord Jesus my own selfishness and willfulness and disobedience and even rebelliousness - this causes me great shame before Him. And though I know that it is He who has brought this to my attention, and the Father has forgiven me for it when I confessed it to Him and washed me clean in the precious Blood of the Lamb; still, even now, I have tears in my eyes in writing this, it so grieves my heart before Him!

As members of His Body, we each have a part to play in the working together of that Body. Only as we learn to listen to the Lord Jesus - Who is the Head of that Body - and learn to be carefully obedient to what He says; only then will the works of the enemy be destroyed completely, and he be crushed under Christ's heel. Then will Christ Jesus "...come to be glorified in his saints" and we who are His be revealed as the sons of God.

2 Cor 10:6 - and we are ready to punish all disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete.

I honestly did not know what He would have me write today; I did not know even as I sat down to begin writing that this would come out, for I am learning to write only what I hear inside and so do not plan anything ahead of time.

But I truly pray that this message speak to each of you as deeply as it has me this morning.

LeastOne

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

leastone

Oct 13, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟16,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Saints:

One thing the Lord said to me when I first joined this forum is to be honest, and speak from my heart. And I have endeavored to do so, and will continue to do so as best I can.

As I mentioned in another post somewhere in this forum, each time in my life that I have made a move to follow the Lord into something new, there have always been attacks from the enemy. Always. I have come to expect them as part of my spiritual growth...not that I like it, for the enemy does not play fair and often goes for our most vulnerable spots. But long ago I made up my mind that no matter what, I was not letting go of the Lord.

Acts 14:22 - "...we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God."
2 Tim. 3:12 - "...all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."

After my post here yesterday, and another one on another thread - that was particularly difficult to get out - the Spirit said quite plainly to me, "You know Satan hates you." And I know that it is not because I am anybody, but it is because of the Word in me, for truly he hates all of us who seek to walk in the Light. And he hates being exposed for the liar that he is.

He knows the Word too, and he is afraid of the Body of Christ coming together and working as one unit: he knows that when that day comes - and it is coming - that it will be the end of him. And so he fights against that happening with every ounce of his being. But, praise the Lord, it is going to happen anyway.

Because of my own past I feel a real closeness with those who are what used to be called "backsliders"; I have spent enough of my life sliding on my own backslide to relate to them. So in this short message, I just want to encourage you all: don't give up! If you get knocked on your back, get up and keep going.

Paul says we are in a race, but what we must all continually remember: it is a long-distance marathon, not a sprint! Take your life one day at a time and do what you can - what the Lord leads you to do - for that one day.

James 1:2 - Count it all joy, my brothers, whenever you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patient endurance. But let that patient endurance have a perfect work, so that you shall be perfect and complete - lacking in nothing.

James 1:12 - Blessed is the man who endures testing, because having become approved, he will receive the victor's wreath of the life which the Lord promised to the ones loving Him.

My earnest prayer is that the Lord strengthen each of you to stand fast, to endure with patience and perservance, and emerge from each test victorious in Christ.

LeastOne

Upvote 0

leastone

Oct 13, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟16,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Saints:

As I read through some of the posts here, it both saddens me and angers me that so many Christian brothers and sisters are left floundering in their spiritual lives, uncertain and in despair over what in happening to them in their Christian walk. This should not be, for truly God has a purpose for each and every one of His children, and He is working toward that purpose in each and every one of those lives - including yours. But understanding what is really going on is absolutely crucial in order to stop being so discouraged and beaten down.

Our spiritual growth in Christ is what God is most concerned about in our lives. Everything He does is aimed toward accomplishing that one purpose; that is, if we are seeking Him. His primary goal is for each one of us to be whole - complete - with "the maturity found in Christ". And His intention is for each one of us to reach that goal in this life.

The enemy's purpose is just the opposite; his basic aim is to keep us from reaching any kind of spiritual growth - much less maturity - in this life. And so since the beginning of the church the enemy has used his two chief weapons - deception and seduction - to hide both the goal and the means given to reach that goal. Substituting mere appearance for true substance, and proper form for the freedom of the Spirit, he buries the Light revealed in Christ under a blanket of religion and hides the Wisdom found in Christ behind the knowledge of human reason. All to keep in darkness those who are intended to be "called out" into Light; all to keep us from discovering, then aiming toward, and finally reaching that God-intended goal of spiritual maturity in Christ in this life!

Jesus warned us that the enemy would infiltrate our camp (the wheat and the tares), and use whatever means he could to keep us in the dark and so, throughout church history down to the present day - even in this very forum - there are those who will try to hinder spiritual growth. And always it is the same, deception and seduction - the weapons of darkness: one works to force you back, the other to tempt you astray. One will attack you, the other distract you. One will try to scare you, the other to impair you. The means may vary, but the aim is always the same:to keep you from growing in Christ.

Since darkness can never defeat light, he can never completely snuff out the Light of God's Word, but he works tirelessly toward keeping us in the dark about it. But, the truth is, only those who have light can control whether it is brightened or dimmed; the darkness has absolutely no say in it. Ultimately therefore, only we determine whether we will grow spiritually brighter in the Light - no one else. No one can make us do it, and no one can make us stop. Our spiritual growth is truly in our hands alone; and it all comes down to which side we choose to believe: God's Word or the enemy's words. One is telling the truth and one is telling lies; we must decide for ourselves which is which.

Joshua 24: 15 "..choose you this day whom ye will serve...but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

LeastOne

Upvote 0

leastone

Oct 13, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟16,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Saints:

The Lord often uses the simplest of events in life to bring some spiritual lesson or another to our notice, if we will but pay attention. In His parables, Jesus did this many times; He would describe great spiritual principles using basic everyday occurances to which everyone could relate. God is always a working in the present moment, for truly He is always Now and is ever working in His creation. May He open the eyes of each of His children, that they may see Him today as He works in and around them in their everyday lives.

Some time ago we had a stray cat come to live in our garage, and she was probably the ugliest cat ever: one gnarly, chewed up ear that permanently flopped halfway over; short little legs and a round, fat body; she looked like a cartoon cat the way she darted around everywhere. But mostly she was the most traumatized animal I have ever seen; you could see it in her eyes, that whatever had happened to her in her previous life had not been good.

We set food and water out for her, but if we came anywhere near her she would cring down, panic in her eyes, ready to run. We decided that rather than traumatize her more by pushing ourselves on her, we would just let her alone to realize for herself that she could trust us. She made herself a bed under an old chair we had, and for the first month or so would hardly come out except to eat and go outside to the restroom. In time, by showing her kindness but requiring nothing in return she eventually realized we meant her no harm, and learned to trust us, allowing us to pet her and even enjoying it. Later, when we had to move, we found her a good home where she is today. And she has become the most loving, sweetest cat; even her looks have changed to where she is actually cute.

I know a woman who didn't leave home until she was 39 years old; up until then she was berated and belittled constantly, forced to chauffer her mother everywhere, basically allowed no life of her own. Finding thoughts of suicide growing stronger and stronger in her, she finally had to just run away from home. Having nowhere to go, she lived with us for a while, until she could find a job. Quite honestly, the darkness surrounding this woman at first was extremely difficult to be around. The spirits of oppression were so heavy around her they were almost physically felt; it was nearly impossible to even have a normal conversation with her because everything that came out of her mouth was so filled with depression and despair.

Rather than have us directly confront her, or go through a lot of spiritual warfare, the Lord asked that we just allow her to be, and for us to just love her. So, that is what we did (as difficult as that was at times). But today, she is a totally different person; saved, and developing her own life. And though she can still be a little much at times, it is mild in comparison - and it has only been a couple of years.

The point of all of this is that there is no set formula that always works for every person and every situation. Jesus healed each person differently when He walked the earth, and He does the same today. It is only by diligently seeking the Lord for whomever He brings our way that we can truly minister His Life to that person. Often He will lead us to just be a friend to them. And we never go wrong with kindness and real loving acceptance.

Col. 3:12 - "And so, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience..."

By the way, we gave the cat to the woman and both are doing well together.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

molly

Just a child of God
Sep 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟8,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thank you leastone for reminding us where we have been and that the Love of God has set us free to be who He wants us to be. I have been to the top of the mountain and to the pits of hell,and by God's grace I am still here.Sometimes the weight of the world gets so heavy, we almost feel as though we can't go on and it seems God is so far away, but I know He is always there. There was a time that I was being abused and this one time I just knew I was going to die, I couldn't breath, and I screamed "Jesus" and all of a sudden this person just jumped away from me, He is always just a word away.I pray all God's children will remember that as we grow in wisdom every day.:wave:

Upvote 0

leastone

Oct 13, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟16,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Saints:

Truly, I praise God for the active seeking of so many in this forum for a closer relationship with the Lord Jesus; also, for the many who are responding as they are guided by the Spirit within to encourage and lift one another up before the Lord. I do not think I am the only one who senses a deepening of the Spirit here as we all continue to thirst after His Kingdom and His Righteousness.

I also continue to sense a stirring in the enemy camp to quench this awakening. For each and all of us, we need to be on a heightened alert in our own lives - diligently keeping one another lifted up in prayer - and not letting ourselves be deceived into losing our focus on our Lord Jesus.

As 1 Peter reminds us: "Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you; but to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing, so that also at the revelation of His glory you may rejoice with exultation."

Growth in Christ is a continuous process of moving from spiritual darkness into the Light, until one day we can say along with Jesus, "...he (referring to the prince of darkness) has nothing in me.". For we were born into this darkness when we came into the world and all were once filled with it; but now, as we follow the Light, as we cling to Him, and allow Him to burn off all that is not of Him, we are gradually being changed into His likeness, and being filled with His Light - which is His very Life in us.

Col 1:13 - "For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son..."

What distresses us now is that very process of change; as much as we long for it and pray for it, our natural tendency is to hold on to what is familiar. To combat this, we must remain focused upon the Light always, allowing nothing and no one to pull us away from Him. Not our feelings, not our loved ones, not this or that thing in the world.

My prayer is that our Father enlighten each of you with all spiritual understanding, strengthen you to stand firm against the lies of the enemy, and fill you with the true Light of His Holy Spirit and His Living Word.

May God be glorified always, and the Name of Jesus be lifted higher and higher!

LeastOne

Reactions: nhisname
Upvote 0

molly

Just a child of God
Sep 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟8,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
leastone, I really enjoyed your last post, It is so true that we are always wanting to hang on to what is familiar to us, we often think we know what we are doing and that is one big mistake;I know that I am guilty of that, and I know that the Lord will never do anything to hurt me, but I just don't know how to let go and let God lead me, I guess I start thinking I got it all figured out, and I should know better. I pray that God would continue to nudge us in the right direction for our lives, and keep on until we hear His still small voice whispering in our ear,that when we hear, we are quick to do what God wants us to do................Molly

Upvote 0

molly

Just a child of God
Sep 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟8,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
:rolleyes: I wanted to reply to your post because like you I have sensed something lurking around cf and I have been praying about that; It must be that your words are like sunshine to dark souls and we all know that satan hates that light. I know in my experiences he uses every tool he can find when we try to do the Lords work. I guess that means we are on the right track, We have to keep looking to Jesus, and stirring the faith in everyone, for "now is the appointed time" the Lord is moving, His Spirit is everywhere, preparing hearts and binding up the wounds of the broken hearted. There are still broken lives out there that need the Saviour's Love so we have to keep on working towards the goal.......Heaven Bound...........Keep on inspiring and encourageing and may the light of the Lord shine into your life............Love in Jesus Holy Name...............Molly:prayer:

Upvote 0