• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Exercise with Chronic Conditions or Disabilities

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I know it is incredibly difficult to exercise when you're always sick or physically incapable of doing things, however having a condition or disability is often made worse by lack of activity or brings on other health risks due to decreased physical fitness.

I try to exercise in spite of my symptoms and limitations. It is often painful, I lack strength sometimes, and there are some activities I simply cannot do at all. I have learned that even though it causes pain and increases my fatigue, my mobility increases and I feel better overall. It also does help to relieve some stress and emotion.

One thing that has been told to me over and over by physical therapist is when you have a chronic condition or physical disability, the intensity, amount, or speed of your exercise is not as important as doing it well and doing it consistently. I've been told to focus on doing it the right way for as much as I can. When I feel I can't go on, or my muscles have reach a point of fatigue where I can't do it correctly or safely, then stop for that session.

Right now I've been doing my physical therapy exercises at home, stretches, a modified push-up challenge (wall leans), and carefully walking. My main goal for now in increase in range of motion and strength and muscle stability.

I believe it is important for us to maintain the mobility we have, and to improve it if we can. It is so tempting to just rest and seek comfort constantly, especially when you don't feel good most of the time. But I've begun to see that as a death sentence, speeding along my deterioration and progression of condition, and inviting other diseases and life threatening conditions to join them in the attack against me.

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Prayers sent out from the Mountaintop for you today 4:39 AM

Have you tried light exercising in water?
There is a water exercise class that meets down the mountain at the gym and I have met several there that had injuries and or disabilities doing well in the water and enjoying the class.

Some medical insurance programs now pay for gym membership. I was just notified the other day that my medical insurance will pay for a gym membership. I guess it's time that I should re-enroll.

Many Blessings Sent
from, Bob

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Water exercise has been recommended for me. We have a pool here at our apartments that is open from May-October. The only indoor, year-round, pool in our town is for senior citizen only. There is one in the next town, but the membership is very expensive if you aren't a resident of their city.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I second the water for exercise. I have to be careful to not get overheated and the pool is ideal, plus there is a lot of resistance without the stress on the body. If being in the shallow end is too hard on your joints, you can still a lot of these in the deep end.

Upvote 0

har_habayit

Sep 20, 2023
Arizona
✟14,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This post was really, really good. I have chronic fatigue and while exercise seems to make me more fatigued (obviously) I know that the health benefits long term will be better than what I seem to temporarily suffer as a setback. Just letting your blood stagnate and letting those depressing thoughts take over will only invite other problems and make your life worse.

Upvote 0