Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Timothy 2:11-15:

Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit
Paul was pointing to himself, not God.

a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.
Paul seemed to be expressing his personal reasoning. As an apostle, it carried some weight at the time of its social environment. However, it doesn't have to be applied universally to all women today. It was not an absolute command from the Lord.

Should a woman be a pastor of a church?

It is up to Christ, Ephesians 4:

11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
If a woman (or a man) wants to be a pastor in a church, she should seek Christ's calling. A woman can be a pastor, particularly in today's social environment.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟922,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Paul seemed to be expressing his personal reasoning. As an apostle, it carried some weight at the time of its social environment. However, it doesn't have to be applied universally to all women today. It was not an absolute command from the Lord.

If a woman (or a man) wants to be a pastor in a church, she should seek Christ's calling. A woman can be a pastor, particularly in today's social environment.
The word for "man" is also the word used for "husband". ἀνήρ
Translated "husband" 50 times in the KJV.

Acquilla AND Priscilla instruct Apollos in a more correct understanding of the Gospel. Interesting that Priscilla is mentioned first.

Acts 18:24 Now a Jew named Apollos, an Alexandrian by birth, an eloquent man, came to Ephesus; and he was proficient in the Scriptures. 25 This man had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he was accurately speaking and teaching things about Jesus, being acquainted only with the baptism of John; 26 and he began speaking boldly in the synagogue. But when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained the way of God more accurately to him

Apparently it was no problem at all to let Priscilla instruct Apollos as also Aquila did. But how interesting that Priscilla is mentioned first.

Notice how many woman prophets are mentioned in the NT -

Notice what 1 Cor 12 says about the gift of Prophecy --

1 Cor 12:28 God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, and various kinds of tongues. 29 All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? 30 All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? 31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts.

A similar list is given in Eph 4 by he same author

Eph 4:11 And He gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelists, some as pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the building up of the body of Christ; 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

It looks like "teachers" in 1 Cor 12 - is expanded in Eph 4 into "evangelists, some as pastors and teachers" - but in both cases "prophets" are above that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
However, it doesn't have to be applied universally to all women today.
Why not? Older women are to teach younger women and younger women are to teach the children,. Women are not to have control over men like that. Look at Jesus and His bride. Do we have dominion over Jesus, of course not and women do not have dominion over men.

Now and this is the real zinger. Men are to sacrifice themselves for their bride the way Jesus gave himself for the church. Just as Jesus is the head of the church, the man is the head of the family. He is only head when he is serving God and following Christ Jesus. If he is a unbeliever Paul talks about that also. She should stay with him for the sake of the children. But if he leave, let him leave.

If you remember David and Bathsheba they lost their first child. That was the price they paid for their adulatory. So Paul's warning about the children is very real. People need to consider this.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟88,731.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi I have wondered what woman was Paul talking about was it the bride of Christ he only permitted her to teach the word of Christ and God which is the word of man
Thanks for sharing.

Define the bride of Christ.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Define the bride of Christ.
Some people think the church is the bride. The Bible is clear that she has oil in her lamp and her garment is cleansed in the Precious Bood of Jesus. Not everyone is qualified. Perhaps this goes along with the scripture about many who will be told to depart from me I never knew you.

Upvote 0

davetaff

Mar 4, 2024
South Wales
✟13,135.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people think the church is the bride. The Bible is clear that she has oil in her lamp and her garment is cleansed in the Precious Bood of Jesus. Not everyone is qualified. Perhaps this goes along with the scripture about many who will be told to depart from me I never knew you.
Hi Diomond7 thank you for you reply the bride of Christ are all those chosen from the foundation of the world by God the Father St Paul being the last we have no scriptural proof that God has chosen anyone after St Paul there are many who have been called saints by men but none that we know of that have been called saints by God.

Love and Peace
Dave

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
the bride of Christ are all those chosen from the foundation of the world
God loves everyone. Everyone is chosen by God but they reject Him. We choose life or death, blessing or curse, sickness or health. God does not choose for us. I wish He did but we have to make our own choices.

Upvote 0

davetaff

Mar 4, 2024
South Wales
✟13,135.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God loves everyone. Everyone is chosen by God but they reject Him. We choose life or death, blessing or curse, sickness or health. God does not choose for us. I wish He did but we have to make our own choices.
Hi Diomond7 thank you for your reply that God loves us is not in question

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Then we have them who are chosen.

Mat 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

From the very beginning God has been choosing certain individuals to do his will people like Noah Moses all the prophets the apostles.
I believeall these are the bride of Christ who have created the children of God who we are.

Love and Peace
Dave

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Mat 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

I am not sure who all is called to the Wedding Feast. We have to be careful with the words many and few. Anything less than 50% if few and anything more then 50% is many. Although I tend to believe one third will be saved.

This third I will put into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’” Zechariah 13:9

People talk about 10% but I think that is the percent of people that represent God. There is a huge price to be paid in Holiness if you want to be used by God and serve God in ministry. Of course there is a reward. I do not think that is a condition for salvation.

A lot of people claim to represent God. Matthew 7 is the real scary use of the word "many:".

A Tree and its Fruit
…21Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!’…

Paul talks about this also in 1 Corinthians 11 "
30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31Now if we judged ourselves properly, we would not come under judgment. 32But when we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.…
Berean Standard Bible · Download

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KevinT

May 26, 2021
Tennessee
✟12,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here is a thought, if Paul had been born back in the old days of the Children of Israel, who were being ruled by judges, what would he have done when the prophetess Debra was judging Israel? Would he have "permitted" her to rule over him? I would assert he wouldn't have had a choice, because she was the ruler.

I think Paul's statement about women was his own belief based on his life context and upbringing. I don't think that is the commandment of God.

KT

Last edited:
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟91,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Think about this... Paul primed our minds to Spiritually listen... THERE IS NO MALE NOR FEMALE IN THE BODY OF CHRIST. I call that a Pauline Decoder ring. :p

I spiritually believe we are the "Women" and "Jesus" is the man in this. Paul is asserting that we shouldn't teach outside of Christ's teachings, by His Holy Spirit.

Yes... He does this with the "covering" verses too. My opinion.

I'm by no means undercutting Paul, but genuinely Paul is perpetually giving Spiritual relevance to the ONE TRUE Gospel, and then emphasizing not to change it! Why does Paul do this one trick pony bit? Because we are all Stupid and mess things up anyways, despite Paul saying it 20,000,000 different ways. :p

Upvote 0