Pennsylvania
✟796,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus, said in that scripture 'how much i wanted to do x and you didn't allow...'
To say God decrees everything we do is wrong imo, God doesn't plan to people to sin, he doesn't want people to sin, that is consequences of decisions and more sin before and other things.

Anyway you can end up 'crazy' thinking about this kind of stuff, it's just what i think.
I didn't say he "wanted" them to sin. What God has decreed, will happen. And that too is what we choose, even when we choose to sin.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟358,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
-
Just look at Ananias and Sapphira or some of the believers that were getting drunk at the Lords Supper Remembrance (many sleep) that means they have died.

Or in contemporary times, drug, alcoholic, over weight, etc.. has caused many an early death.
That's true but we all sin so we're all subject to an early death.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟253,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That's true but we all sin so we're all subject to an early death.
-

Well what i was speaking to are sins where God actually takes a persons life. From The Bible i see this as directed toward God's believers (born again children) as a form of judgment for sin. This may not happen as much now as this did in the early church as seen in The New Testament in a few examples.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, people can do things to keep themselves alive, but God controls if and how long they live.

"He who loves his life will lose it," Jesus says in John 12:25.

There are people who have done things to stay alive, but they have lost their lives because they have loved their lives.

And ones have tried to commit suicide, but God overruled that. But others have been so effectively resisted by God, that in their frustration and rebellion against God they have killed themselves and God did not stop them.

"God resists the proud" (in James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5).

So the proud are not really in control!

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟739,627.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, God is all sovereign. He is in full control and nothing happens or can happen without his knowing.
However, this doesn't necessarily means he "causes" all things to happen and not happen does it?

I know in Scripture it said that God numbers the hairs on my head and so he has also numbered my days,
but does this actually mean He determines exactly when you will die or how long you will live?

Again, is this to say that we have no say in our own mortality? In other words, if God does determine to exact
year, month, day, hour, and second when you will expire on this earth, then if you live an unhealthy lifestyle,
you can't change the date God chose for you to expire? If I wanted to live healthier and did everything in my
ability to live a healthy long life, it won't matter because God has already determined you will expire on "X" date?

So if God determines this, then what point is there to live wisely or recklessly, you will still live long or still live short
depending on what God has already determined for you.

OR

Does God adjust the plan mid-flight based on your choices and how you live? So maybe God intended someone to live
95 years but since you decided to be reckless and have bad habits, God decided you should expire at age 35 in some accident
or unfortunate event due to your reckless ways? Isn't that still us who determines how long or short we live? Aren't we a major
factor or agent in the causation of something happening and not happening or do we have no say in the result because God
determines it?
Ecc 7:17 Do not be overly wicked, Nor be foolish: Why should you die before your time?

Ecclesiastes shows us that our choices can shorten our lives. God does have a general plan for our lives, but it can and does change based upon what we do.

Jer 18:10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.

The Early Church taught that we have free will our life is not predetermined to the sense we have no responsibility or control over it. The Way and Free Will

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟796,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Ecc 7:17 Do not be overly wicked, Nor be foolish: Why should you die before your time?

Ecclesiastes shows us that our choices can shorten our lives. God does have a general plan for our lives, but it can and does change based upon what we do.

Jer 18:10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.

The Early Church taught that we have free will our life is not predetermined to the sense we have no responsibility or control over it. The Way and Free Will
The logic is weak that says choice equals change, or that predetermination means no responsibility on the part of creatures.

Upvote 0