Can marriage ever be a sin if both are Christian

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
I think that the point of the Genesis passage, is not about marriage, but about
how unexpected God's judgment was, to the sinful people on earth.

Today we might say something like "People were still going to the Crunchy
K for their morning cup of coffee, when the judgment of God fell upon them."

That passage is Genesis, is not about marriage.
I agree but it quoted genesis to be as guide of what is sinful behavior that they did sinful marriages marrying people outside of their faith and were remarrying when it was sin and they were not repentant of it to seek to cut it off if they dont have kids I thought but even if have kids they should live separate from such marriage that they each have their own home

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
It is not wrong as is just looking for another partner again if person left you and refuses to reconcile then they are to be regarded as unbelievers as Jesus says he who listens not to the church is to be as heathen that there is another exception as Jesus makes that only exception of adultery between believers who marry but as He said elsewhere you dont have to please those who are heathen who wont reconcile to you as the heathen that dont reconcile to God that you dont have to if one wont accept to live with one unless they decide to reconcile as Paul said you are not in bondage to one who becomes unbeliever that you can marry again unless person accepts to live with you and you to practice your faith.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,375.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The bible says as it was in the days of Noah they were marrying and giving in marriage and did not know until the flood came and took them all away so it will be when the son of man returns

In the days of Noah marriage was a sin because sons of God married daughters of men that is the non spiritual people

I thought marriage is never a sin if person is Christian as Paul said he who marries has not sinned but such will have trouble in the flesh

But could it be a sin if the other person possibility may not be a true Christian if they are not of similar background to atleast be born in Christian family though it is possible one is a Christian if one is not

What other situations is it a sin ?

But how can it take them by surprise if Christ will come after the tribulation do you think some will not even believe they are in the tribulation because how then can it take them by surprise ?

My dad says when Paul says in the last days people will forbid marriage it means because people will live together without getting married I don’t think however it is necessary to get married and have kids you may not raise in God if one is not spiritual but this means people should not sin and if they do they must repent

I am convinced now that I should not marry because it may not work out my father thought it was good for me though I don’t have to and my grandfather
my dads father told me before he died he wanted me to get married but my father said I don’t have to listen to him if I thought it was good and I was able to do something for the Lord I would think to get married but I think being single is being more profitable for the Lord the barren has more children than one who is married because you should not make people feel they have to get married which being single is maybe more safe and good for some and you don’t know if you will meet one suitable

unless I am convinced being married is good if I meet one suitable I don’t think I should get married

To my knowledge, the only instances in the Bible were marriage could be a sin was when the Israelites / Jews married pagans as an act of rebellion.

There are instances where marrying non-Israelites was allowed, but it was generally frowned upon.

In the New Testament Paul makes it clear that being married to a non-believer is not a sin per say, though it may be unwise.

Neither your father no your grandfather can tell you whether you ought to marry or not.
You must discern what God has for you, whether it be marriage or celibacy. He calls some people to marriage and some to celibacy. However, you also need to understand that it is your choice and God will respect your choice. His best for you might be one or the other, but he has given you the right to choose for yourself and he will respect that choice.

You should seek God in your heart and look for what desires he has put in your heart. Ask him to give you holy desires and see what draws you in. Don't be afraid that you must go one way or the other. Ask for right desire, and then make the choice as best you can with the circumstances God gives you.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
Thankyou but I believe new testament shows it is wrong to marry an unbeliever as paul says to widows to marry only in the Lord that can die while trying to but if you did if they are willing to accept you to practice faith and your children to not to divorce.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟54,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
To my knowledge, the only instances in the Bible were marriage could be a sin was when the Israelites / Jews married pagans as an act of rebellion.
Do you accept Scripture "whatever is not of faith is sin" ?

If so, then it is seen that the whole world is full of daily sin!

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟54,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
My husband and I are both Christians. I have never married before but he was married and got divorced as she was cheating on him. The vicar in our church was happy to marry us. Is our marriage sinful?
In whose eyes?

Without looking to vicars or other men,
can you find anything in Scripture , only reading what Scripture says, about re-marriage ?

There is a vast difference in what men say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,375.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Do you accept Scripture "whatever is not of faith is sin" ?

If so, then it is seen that the whole world is full of daily sin!
I accept everything scripture says, the question is, does it mean what you think it means.

and yes, the world is full of daily sin.

The fact remains that there are actions which are objectively sinful and actions which are not objectively sinful.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,375.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My husband and I are both Christians. I have never married before but he was married and got divorced as she was cheating on him. The vicar in our church was happy to marry us. Is our marriage sinful?
It depends on whether your husbands marriage was validly sacramental or not.
There are two types of marriage. Natural marriage which is just a contract between two people. This is created by man and can be dissolved by man. Then there is Christian marriage, also known as sacramental marriage. In this, the covenant bond is created by God and cannot be dissolved by men.
If your husband's first marriage was validly sacramental, then the marriage bond of that marriage cannot be dissolved by human law and he is still married to his first wife and you are committing adultery. (this is what Jesus says)
If your husbands first marriage was NOT validly sacramental, then he was free to marry you validly and you are fine.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
This isn't actually what the scripture says. Jesus does not mention the word adultery in his statement on this question.
He mentioned sexual immorarilty and you are being really dishonest if you want to suggest He did not mean also adultery for He would have clarified that in new testament not to mislead people since church fathers would never be reliable and they wont all agree and there is none that you can verify that definitely is reliable such as shepherd of hermas that comes from time of apostles to say christ taught adultery is not a valid reason and since it could be debated if it came from christ it would be found in new testament written by actual apostles that are not obviously erroneous books contradicting other parts of gospel or epistles to clearly say that but sex before marriage which I hope by that you mean only if there was sex before marriage that one hid for other marriages that is nor that even if there was sin before is valid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,375.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello! Can you give the reference for this teaching please. God Bless :)

In 1st Corinthians 7:13-16 he says that if a Christian is married to a non-believer they should not divorce unless the non-believer refuses to live with them. He further goes on to say that the believing spouse makes the unbelieving spouse holy and ask the question, how do you know that you won't save your unbelieving spouse?

If it were inherently sinful, he could not have told them to remain married, nor said that good things could come from the marriage.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,375.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
He mentioned sexual immorarilty and you are being really dishonest if you want to suggest He did not mean also adultery for He would have clarified that in new testament not to mislead people since church fathers would never be reliable and they wont all agree and there is none that you can verify that definitely is reliable such as shepherd of hermas that comes from time of apostles to say christ taught adultery is not a valid reason and since it could be debated if it came from christ it would be found in new testament written by actual apostles that are not obviously erroneous books contradicting other parts of gospel or epistles to clearly say that but sex before marriage which I hope by that you mean only if there was sex before marriage that one hid for other marriages that is nor that even if there was sin before is valid.

I'm not being dishonest at all. I'm drawing attention to what Jesus actually said, as opposed to how people interpret what Jesus said.

In the passage Jesus says that you may not divorce except in cases of "fornication". Not adultery.

Keep in mind that Jesus actually uses the word adultery in the same passage to describe what happens when a divorced person remarries.

So the question is, why? Why does he deliberately NOT use the word adultery in that case?

The OT fixed rules about what marriages were invalid or forbidden, including marrying close relatives, in some places marriages to Canaanite pagans, etc. The Rabbi's referred to these kinds of marriages as "forbidden by fornication".

In other words, the marriage was not approved by God, because the marriage itself was sexually immoral and could not be blessed.
This is usually not that relevant today because we culturally have a lot of the same rules about marriage so this pretty rarely happens. However, in the ancient pagan world marriages that were forbidden under Jewish and Christian law were allowed. As such, when pagans converted to Christianity it was entirely possible that they might be in an inherently immoral marriage that was not allowed under God's law. Since the marriage itself was a violation of God's law, God had never approved the marriage and thus God had never joined them together. Thus, in such a case, divorce was not "putting asunder what God had joined together"

The most famous Biblical example of this is Herod marrying his brother's wife, and John the Baptist condemning him for it.

Thus, there is good reason to think that Jesus is specifically talking only about marriages that are not valid because the marriage itself violates God's law and is thus sexually immoral.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
You are taught wickedly by your church. You want to say if a marriage was not performed in your church you can break it and there is no sin? And you only need a conscience for jesus says all the law and prophets hang on love for God and neighbor to know that adultery is a valid reason to divorce that your not forced to be with one who showed they didnt care for you though it is up to you if you want to reaccept after forgiving if you think person may know it was a mistake

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,375.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You are taught wickedly by your church. You want to say if a marriage was not performed in your church you can break it and there is no sin? And you only need a conscience for jesus says all the law and prophets hang on love for God and neighbor to know that adultery is a valid reason to divorce that your not forced to be with one who showed they didnt care for you though it is up to you if you want to reaccept after forgiving if you think person may know it was a mistake
I'm confused, is this supposed to be directed at me?

Assuming it is, I'll respond...

You want to say if a marriage was not performed in your church you can break it and there is no sin?

I am pretty sure I never said this, and the Catholic Church also does not teach this, with one exception. According to Catholic Canon Law all marriages whether performed in the Catholic Church or not, are presumed to be valid until proven otherwise.

The only case where this is not true, is when a Catholic, who has sworn to obey the rules of the Catholic Church deliberately disobeys those rules regarding marriage. In this case, the reason the marriage is invalid is because it was done as an act of rebellion. Just like when the ancient Israelites married pagans as an act of rebellion and they were forced to divorce by God's prophet.

And you only need a conscience for jesus says all the law and prophets hang on love for God and neighbor to know that adultery is a valid reason to divorce

People say the exact same thing about divorcing for any number of reasons. People say the exact same thing homosexuality.

If you get so angry about someone trying to understand the word of God because it contradicts what you want to believe, maybe you are the problem.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
Typical justification of evil by those who don’t care to support righteousness and wont admit the truth. I made points that can not be denied but those who prefer not to care to pursue what is right to defend their beliefs seek to justify themselves. No marriage is invalid even if it was in error if person does not seek to stop one from practicing the faith or children. If they feel is harmful can separate but can not remarry. Such people outside the faith are not excused for they are still responsible to God but they should not do it as it is sin.It is not the same situation as in old testament where one married leads others to other gods to make them to partake in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0