Being different

auswiq

Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟251.00
Just found this forum and consider it a good idea.  As an ex-autistic child (now in 50's) and also 'ADD' I'd like to be an encouragement to other Christians in similar cases. From experience, its not too easy to fit into 'normal' fellowship unless one is fortunate, like I am now, to be in a church where one is not just accepted, but loved and appreciated for who they uniquely are. So, blessings.

auswiq

Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟251.00
Thats truly wonderful, guys.  I guess its the same with Jesus, isnt it. Like, He went through the mill, so as to become the Minister to all of us, out of what He experienced. So, the beauty of of the Christian life is in turning around the negatives to bring transforming positives. (Being Christ to one another).

p.s. my pastor says that the ground is level at the foot of the Cross - we're all there together, with no tall poppies.

Upvote 0

GodOwnsMe

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
✟2,433.00
Faith
Christian
I used to have kinda 'big' problems in feeling different/not fitting etc.. ..still get uncomfy 'bout that kinda stuff sometimes....was amazing to know How much God still loves me & I can rely on that no matter what ppl think that sooooo changed things some time ago :):) glad your church's like that thats awesome !!!!! :)
God Bless you :)

Upvote 0

Homie

Gods servant
Jul 8, 2002
Visit site
✟15,878.00
Faith
Christian
How can you become ex-autistic? isn't that a condition that follows you for life? Sure you can adapt and learn to cope with it better, but be cured, I don't think so. I checked with my father just to be sure (he is a doctor) and he confirmed my suspicion.

Anyway, I don't mean to be insensitive or anything, it just sounded weird. Bless You my brothers and sisters in Christ :) (I love this new forum)

Upvote 0

Swurple

God's Accoustic
Jan 16, 2003
Visit site
✟372.00
oh cool...ive never really met anyone autistic before... whats it like? i remember reading about how autistic people are really REALLY talented in one area, like painting or numbers. Like this one guy, he knows the entire calender from goodness-knows-what-year and like if you tell him say, 16 february 1965...in an instant he can tell you what day it is. it was so awesome! and this other guy could play a whole classical piece, listening to it only once. like oh my goodness! how does he do that!?!

Do you find that whatever we lack in, God makes up in other things? I feel that way and Im so grateful as well. Its like how paul sez, one body many parts. and its really good that your church realises that, auswiq. when i was younger, i had all these issues to deal with and it was really difficult for me because i come from a broken home. But my CF really helped me through it and Im really thankful to God that He sent all these really wonderful people to help me out.. and that shows that everyone plays a part. and i believe that your testimony here has already played a part. A little even in me, reminding me to be more accepting of others. it gets harder to allow people into your comfort zone when you've already extablished like really good friendships in church and stuff. yea...something i really gotta work on.

I'd really like to get to know you a little bit more, auswiq. message me some time. :) God bless guys!

Upvote 0

auswiq

Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟251.00
Originally posted by GoDowNsMe
I used to have kinda 'big' problems in feeling different/not fitting etc.. ..still get uncomfy 'bout that kinda stuff sometimes....was amazing to know How much God still loves me & I can rely on that no matter what ppl think that sooooo changed things some time ago :):) glad your church's like that thats awesome !!!!! :)
God Bless you :)

The great and wonderful truth is that God knew you from way back (eternity) and thats why He loves you. Yep, never mind what people think - if they think you weird, well, far as you're concerned, they can chewy on their boot ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

auswiq

Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟251.00
Originally posted by Homie
How can you become ex-autistic? isn't that a condition that follows you for life? Sure you can adapt and learn to cope with it better, but be cured, I don't think so. I checked with my father just to be sure (he is a doctor) and he confirmed my suspicion.

Anyway, I don't mean to be insensitive or anything, it just sounded weird.

Thats ok - well, by 'ex-autistic' I guess I'm comparing myself now, to what I was as a child. See, it was around age 19 that Christ found me and the same time at which I began to emerge from that locked in world, albeit, not without struggle, frustration and difficulty. But God was doing His work there, looking back on it - after all - nothing's impossible to Him. I have a personal website which features my bio - not sure if Im allowed to give links here - must see if thats possible. I do find difficulty becoming or feeling 'connected' with others - a carry over from childhood I guess and still have more affinity with inner rather than outer world - but like I said, comparing to what I was, I'd be an 'ex'.

Upvote 0

auswiq

Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟251.00
Originally posted by Swurple
oh cool...ive never really met anyone autistic before... whats it like? ...........

I think, from what Ive been studying on the web about it (to understand my experience more clearly) that autism manifests itself in as many ways as there are unique individuals, even though the syndrome has features, common across the board. For me, it was total self-isolation from others from far back as can remember. Did not and would not allow anyone - no not even parents to be part of my world. I was silently and passively 'hostile' to the presence of others. ' Conversation' was limited to robot-like 'how do you do' if and when introduced to anyone (which was rare anyway). Hated being looked at. (imagined that their eyes were 'invading' my private world.)Immersed myself in rich imagination centred on sailing ships, brass telescopes, scientific inventions, greek mythology which fed my fantasy world - (compared to which the 'real world' was  insipid, boring and of absolutely no attraction). Had exciteable mannerisms (rapid hand twirling; persistent hair twiddling; giggling for no reason etc). Anyway this is a glimpse to start with. Oh, and little formal edu. beyond knowing how to read, write and spell. I think the teachers basically ignored me. Though I remember one who said I "was very intelligent, therefore should know better" - forgotten what prompted that, but there was no follow up. Guess in those days, autism was still very little understood, apart from the likes of Leo Kanner et al.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
It's a great thing to know that even with arms and legs cut off (figure :)) you will still be loved and cherished. I'm delighted to see many people here forming an awesome loving environment who are willing to shield and change their lives. :)

Can i ask something? Hmm, prolly no point asking permission ;).

If you were autistic once, are you still autistic? It's probably a stupid question but that's because i have no idea :). Have you found a big talent that no other normal person could replicate or have alot of difficulty replicating? LIke eg you can instantly decipher codes or something.

(shh, too much Murcury Rising ;))

Upvote 0

auswiq

Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟251.00
Originally posted by Sharky
It's a great thing to know that even with arms and legs cut off (figure :)) you will still be loved and cherished. I'm delighted to see many people here forming an awesome loving environment who are willing to shield and change their lives. :)

Can i ask something? Hmm, prolly no point asking permission ;).

If you were autistic once, are you still autistic? It's probably a stupid question but that's because i have no idea :). Have you found a big talent that no other normal person could replicate or have alot of difficulty replicating? LIke eg you can instantly decipher codes or something.

(shh, too much Murcury Rising ;))

I wouldnt see it as 'stupid' I know youre simply curious and interested, having heard about 'savant' skills in such people. Well, lets say that I still have the 'residual effects' of my autism, in that, by nature I prefer being alone than around people in general, although do have friends. Very weak in terms of experiencing empathy and 'connectedness'. Egocentric (not selfishness though). As for the savant bit, I have been finally identified as highly gifted intellectually, despite dysfunctional family background and lack of formal edu. Welcome to check out my website if you like: www.spiderweb.com.au/~jonswe to give you a bit better picture.

Blessings

Upvote 0