United States
✟18,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lately have been praying to him as "God". I feel it works for me a lot better. I had thoughts of Jesus being the mediator between us and god, wondering if maybe praying directly to Jesus might be a mistake?

I think i've had a sort of Jesus burnout. Not saying I don't believe in Jesus, I just think that praying directly to God works better for me and allows me to stay interested in good things like morality, repentance, seeking forgiveness and just being an overall better person.

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lately have been praying to him as "God". I feel it works for me a lot better. I had thoughts of Jesus being the mediator between us and god, wondering if maybe praying directly to Jesus might be a mistake?

I think i've had a sort of Jesus burnout. Not saying I don't believe in Jesus, I just think that praying directly to God works better for me and allows me to stay interested in good things like morality, repentance, seeking forgiveness and just being an overall better person.
Are we to breath in Air or Oxygen?
Are we to drink Water or H20?
Should I love my "dad" or my "father"?
Should I honor my mother or "mom"?

These are questions in search of a false dichotomy.
You may like Paul bow your knees to the Father and pray.
Or you may beseech the Lord Jesus in prayer as he also did.

Paul's praying to the Father:
For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father,

Of whom every family in the heavens and on earth is named,
That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit into the inner man,

Paul's praying to the Son:
Concerning this I entreated the Lord three times that it might depart from me.
And He has said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is perfected in weakness. (2 Cor. 12:8,9a)

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟912,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Father.
Blessings

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟12,714.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Jesus gave us an example of prayer, and asked us to pray to our father in heaven.
blessings.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,059,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is God.
God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟8,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Christ gave us the pattern to prayer in John 16:23-26, Ask the Father in Jesus’ Name. He also states He will intercede to the Father for us, see also John 14:14; 15:16. I don‘t pray as much since my prayers seem to fall on deaf ears, but use to direct all petitions to the Father in Christ’s Name, then greet and thanked the Son, and the Holy Spirit for a brief period to acknowledge my need for all the Members of the Godhead.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟725,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Nothing wrong with praying to either of them ...

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Christ gave us the pattern to prayer in John 16:23-26, Ask the Father in Jesus’ Name. He also states He will intercede to the Father for us, see also John 14:14; 15:16. I don‘t pray as much since my prayers seem to fall on deaf ears, but use to direct all petitions to the Father in Christ’s Name, then greet and thanked the Son, and the Holy Spirit for a brief period to acknowledge my need for all the Members of the Godhead.
Your prayers should not go like that. I would seek the Lord as to why?
I have had extended times when a certain cherished sin was shown me but I held to it.
This could be one cause of unanswered prayer.

If I regarded iniquity in my heart, / The Lord did not hear. (Psalm 66:18)

You should not tolerate that your prayers seem to go nowhere.
I would seek the Lord to give you the reason why.

Sometimes, I asked the Lord for terms of surrender.
Sometimes I asked Him to show me in a week or two one specific way I can get through the empass.

One concrete way, I ask, how I can surrender what He has required.
Sometimes when we have been long time in stubborness we are so foggy we don't know anymore where we
have stopped the Lord from making His home more in our hearts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevenb6

Apr 24, 2023
United States
✟18,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nothing wrong with praying to either of them ...
I disagree with that lately.

I have experience with different forms of prayer.

Enough to know that one missing piece of the puzzle is enough to leave it incomplete.

I was thinking for instance earlier God put adam and even in the garden and told them not to eat from the tree of knowledge. I think his intent was for them to be able to distinguish God's own voice from the lies. He didn't want them to pray to the son that he sent to pay for our sins, jesus does just that. He mediates between man in god in paying for a sin that we cannot. Why pray to a mediator of his own role rather than to the creator himself?

Upvote 0

stevenb6

Apr 24, 2023
United States
✟18,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks James, these are my thoughts exactly.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟725,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Enough to know that one missing piece of the puzzle is enough to leave it incomplete.

I was thinking for instance earlier God put adam and even in the garden and told them not to eat from the tree of knowledge. I think his intent was for them to be able to distinguish God's own voice from the lies. He didn't want them to pray to the son that he sent to pay for our sins, jesus does just that. He mediates between man in god in paying for a sin that we cannot. Why pray to a mediator of his own role rather than to the creator himself?
It was Jesus in the garden.

John 6:46 In-Context

46 No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father.

Colossians 1:16

"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him" HIM here in this Scripture is the Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus is mediator because He is both God and man ... all authority has been given to him in heaven and on earth.

Romans 8:26-27

26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

Everything goes through Jesus whether we pray in His name or not.

When we ask in His (Jesus) name we are acknowledging Him as Lord and Savior giving honor both to Him and the Father.

John 5:23, Jesus says, all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father.

The Father, Son and Holy spirit remain distinct persons, but they work together . God (Elohim) a plural noun ... the 3 are one (one Godhead). they are in perfect harmony with one another.

John 1:1-2 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.

11. John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

And the Holy Spirit helps us in our distress. For we don’t even know what we should pray for, nor how we should pray. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words Romans 8:26

It is not the words in the prayer that matter, but the purpose behind the prayer. Praying for things that are in agreement with God’s will is the essence of praying in Jesus’ name. They have the same will. ... they are both God (Elohim) ... they have the same will.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟725,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Why pray to a mediator of his own role rather than to the creator himself?

Jesus was the creator ....

Genesis 1:1 says that “God created the heavens and the earth.” Then, Colossians 1:16 gives the added detail that God created “all things” through Jesus Christ. The plain teaching of Scripture, therefore, is that Jesus is the Creator of the universe.

Knowing that Christ is God and has all the attributes of God aids our understanding of Jesus as the Creator.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God” (John 1:1). There are three important things in this passage about Jesus and the Father: 1) Jesus was “in the beginning”—He was present at creation. Jesus had existed eternally with God. 2) Jesus is distinct from the Father—He was “with” God. 3) Jesus is the same as God in nature—He “was God.”

God (Godhead) is three co-eternal Persons who work together in unity and purpose. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit have always been, and always will be. God (Elohim) is a plural noun

Study up on the trinity .... the word God (elohim - plural noun) describes their relationship with one another and that relationship has always been complete harmony and complete unity in principle and purpose.

Before the creation of man, God (elohim), “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness” Genesis 1:26

“God (elohim) saw everything that *He had made, and indeed it was very good.” (Genesis 1:31, NKJV).

* It should be noted the word "he" in not in the original text (per hebrew lexicon)... all 3 were equally involved in how creation would take place - their image - the 3) but the use of the word "He" is still referring back to God (elohim - a plural noun)

Colossians 1:16-17 NKJV

For by Him (Jesus) all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.

I will argue that Jesus accepted and still accepts both kinds of prayer.

However, as far as creation ... all three were involved ... not just God the Father ... as you seem to use as your reasoning to pray to the Father directly. It is very clear all three were involved in creation.

Upvote 0

T.i.m.o.t.h.y.

Mar 7, 2024
Indiana
✟11,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We can fellowship with Jesus concerning the Scripture that now is spoken by God's Son. Faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of Christ. The word- 'word' is in Grk. rhema which means the spoken word in contrast to the Grk. logos which in other verses refers to the written word. However when Jesus quoted the scripture when he was tempted by the devil he always said "It is written" but in saying it, it became rhema.

When we make requests in prayer we are to go to the Father in Jesus name. If our prayer is like filling out a check to withdraw from the bank account, then using the name of Jesus is the guarantor that the request or check is legal and already approved by Him.

Or, it's like the prodigal son who had a signet ring with his father's identity stamped on it. With that ring the son could get anything with his father's pre-approval. That is the power of Jesus' name in prayer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

germo155

Mar 22, 2024
Tampere
✟11,546.00
Country
Estonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I feel like if I pray to father, idont give credit to Jesus, somehow there is this sense.. But I do obey Lord as much as I understand and so, I think that is love towards him, it comes naturally when we born again. Sorry about my English skills

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2022
East Sussex
✟19,268.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I trust that i pray the prayers prompted by the Holy Spirit, by God.

Upvote 0