The Lord's Prayer: "OUR father....." Who is "Our"?

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've often thought this is a reminder to gather in groups for support when praying?
Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered unto my name, there am I in their midst."

Or when we pray to always involve others in our prayers.

Recently though I've wondered if this is an example of Jesus being a mediator for us to the Father and the "Our" is the person praying and Jesus.

So what do you think?

Reactions: tturt

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've often thought this is a reminder to gather in groups for support when praying?
Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered unto my name, there am I in their midst."

Or when we pray to always involve others in our prayers.

Recently though I've wondered if this is an example of Jesus being a mediator for us to the Father and the "Our" is the person praying and Jesus.

So what do you think?
Well, the Lord's Prayer is for us who follow Christ. "Our" refers to us as Christians. You might want to see my post on the Lord's prayer, in reply to a guy from overseas named Jorem: My name is Jorem Eseru from Uganda -East Africa.

Date
April 9, 2024​
Verse
Matthew 6:9-15 (ESV) – The Lord’s Prayer​
Explanation
The Lord's Prayer is also known as the Our Father or the Pater Noster in Latin, and it is a prayer that Jesus taught to his disciples when they asked him how to pray (Matthew 6:9-15). Here's a breakdown of the different parts of the Lord's Prayer and their significance:

1. "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name." This part acknowledges God as our Creator and sustainer, and it expresses reverence for His holy name.

2. "Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven." This part asks that God's reign and rule extend to our lives and the world around us. It also expresses a desire for God's will to be done in our lives and in the world.

3. "Give us this day our daily bread." This part asks for God's provision for our physical needs, recognizing that He is the source of all good things.

4. "And forgive us of our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us." This part acknowledges our need for God's forgiveness and expresses a willingness to forgive others. It recognizes that our relationship with God is connected to our relationships with others.

5. "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." This part asks for protection from the temptations and sins that can lead us away from God. It recognizes that we are not in control of our own destiny, but that God is the one who guides and protects us.

6. "For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and forever. Amen". The ending shows how we recognize God as sovereign.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0