icebreaker

Oct 26, 2003
Elizabeth City, NC
✟400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just got a book called "So Whats the difference?" by Fritz Ridenour It is about the different religions of the world. I am looking for a good book that deals with the religions but has no biased opinions. So far the book is good because it compares the religions to christianity. My question to anyone who might have read the book is this Is the book truthful on the religions it discusses or is some of it biased or opinionated?

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oxford's The Illustrated Guide to Religions of the World.

Prentice Hall has a book called "Religions of the World" by Hopfe and Woodward.
It covers more religions than the Oxford Guide. Oxford covers 7 larger religions.
Get on Oxford's sale list. You will be able to get sale books for dirt cheap. Oxford prints really nice books too.

Prentice Hall's books are expensive. I paid 52 bucks for a softcover.

Upvote 0

seangoh

Veteran
Dec 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
✟16,661.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
for me i'm quite wary of books since we all know that biasness of the author cannot be avoided. Furthermore, some authors think they know the religions but actually give a false representation of it. So the only way out is to get a book about religions and then you've to find out yourself whether what the author says is true by looking to the source...it can be the official buddhist website or mormon or catholic website..whatever..u get what i mean.:)

Upvote 0

Lee

Dec 14, 2002
United States of America
✟466.00
Faith
Non-Denom
My advice for you is that you will need baise if you are a young Christian in your faith. There will be certain doctrines that intrique you if you are not well fully armed with the the amor of God. Such like you will learn from Islam that it is interesting how well discipline they are with their prayers and works. Then you will find Sun Yet Moon "the Moonies" how well they grow. And others like Mormonism, how well they show love through good deeds. Such things will just draw your attention and though their doctrines and beliefs are messed up, you will see their fruits good. That can draw you to them.

I say that if you really want to find good information about religions is to go to each religion site and study what they believe. However, there is always baise. Always! If you go to a secular university to get their materials on religion, they may show you that there is no true religion. You go to a specific religion site for info, they will give you that their is the true one.

What you need is the Holy Spirit to guide you first in your learning about Jesus Christ. When you know the truth about Jesus Christ through the Holy Bible, then when people say things about Jesus and the Bible; you will quickly notice the errors. But already, I am being baised there that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. Everyone is baise!

Upvote 0