WI
✟108,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So many of us have probably gotten tired of news about wars, so let's discuss books. A French library found out that some books in the collection, specifically a few from the 1800s were laced with arsenic, a toxic metalloid (partial metal with nonmetal properties, arsenic Wiki Link). Who knew that reading can be sometimes be deadly (being facetious here). Article link: French national library quarantines books believed to be laced with arsenic

Short summary of the open-access article by The Guardian (<20% in length, for fair usage reasons):

The French National Library in Paris has removed four 19th-century books from its shelves due to concerns that their emerald green covers may contain arsenic. The library plans to send these books to an external laboratory for further analysis, following the discovery by US researchers that publishers in the Victorian era used arsenic to color book bindings. The Poison Book Project at the University of Delaware has identified over 200 potentially dangerous volumes containing arsenic-laced green pigments, and four such books were found in the National Library of France's collection. The World Health Organization advises against long-term exposure to arsenic through water and food, but there is no mention of contact with objects containing it. The Poison Book Project cautions that handling arsenic-laced green bindings could pose a health risk to library staff and researchers. (Author: Agence France-Presse, Publishing Date: April 25, 2024)

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I die by book, I die well.
Amen brother. :) And hey, it is only books from long ago that had this arsenic issue. I like books, mostly ones from prior to the mid-2010s.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟846,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Amen brother. :) And hey, it is only books from long ago that had this arsenic issue. I like books, mostly ones from prior to the mid-2010s.

I'm currently reading Gertrude of Helfta's The Herald of Divine Love. I hope it kills me (w/love for God). Obviously, it's a newer print, but one can hope.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm currently reading Gertrude of Helfta's The Herald of Divine Love. I hope it kills me (w/love for God). Obviously, it's a newer print, but one can hope.
Yeah, newer prints are good. I am reading Greg Bear - Darwin's Radio, a 1999 sci-fi book, but in audio book format, so I can listen to it when having breakfast in the morning. Don't want to get food on the pages.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2021
Washington D.C.
✟121,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This reminds me of a 1983 movie called The Name of the Rose. It takes place in the 14th century and starred Sean Connery. He played a priest sent to solve several mysterious deaths at an abbey. At the end of the movie, it is revealed the deaths were murder. The victims were killed by poisoned ink in a book.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This reminds me of a 1983 movie called The Name of the Rose. It takes place in the 14th century and starred Sean Connery. He played a priest sent to solve several mysterious deaths at an abbey. At the end of the movie, it is revealed the deaths were murder. The victims were killed by poisoned ink in a book.
Interesting stuff. I like classic movies, so I will add it to my list. :) The library near me has DVDs that I can place holds online for, and borrow for free.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,269,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Close. An old monk who hated the notion that Aristotle wrote a treatise on laughter, put invisible poison on the edges of the pages.

The book is really about the conflict between the ancient world and science that took place in the middle ages. The protagonist, Brother William, being a Franciscan, favors scientific thought, whereas most of the monks just ascribe the murder to the Devil.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟147,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Close. An old monk who hated the notion that Aristotle wrote a treatise on laughter, put invisible poison on the edges of the pages.

The book is really about the conflict between the ancient world and science that took place in the middle ages. The protagonist, Brother William, being a Franciscan, favors scientific thought, whereas most of the monks just ascribe the murder to the Devil.
I enjoyed the historical culinary tidbit in TNOTR: someone had to stir the ox-blood to keep it from coagulating and getting “the solids” out, before being used in cooking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian