Politics
US-Others
haptomai: touch.
Original Word: ἅπτομαι
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: haptomai
Phonetic Spelling: (hap'-tom-ahee)
Definition: touch
Usage: prop: I fasten to; I lay hold of, touch, know carnally.

680 háptomai (from 681 /háptō, "to modify or change by touching") – properly, "touching that influences" (modifies); touching someone (something) in a way that alters (changes, modifies) them, i.e. "impact-touching."

New International Version
Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

English Standard Version
Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

I have always found this the most interesting detail of the resurrection. Why would touching or clinging to Jesus be a problem? Perhaps clinging to his physical form? Open our hearts to his nonphysical being?

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟796,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

680 háptomai (from 681 /háptō, "to modify or change by touching") – properly, "touching that influences" (modifies); touching someone (something) in a way that alters (changes, modifies) them, i.e. "impact-touching."

Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

English Standard Version
Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

I have always found this the most interesting detail of the resurrection. Why would touching or clinging to Jesus be a problem? Perhaps clinging to his physical form? Open our hearts to his nonphysical being?
Yep! Sort of figures in with whether he had already ascended or not on the other occasions, such as when he ate with them, and so on. I don't always hold to sequence in the story line.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟281,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

English Standard Version

They must relate to him in a new way now, instead of physically.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟796,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
They must relate to him in a new way now, instead of physically.
Agreed, but, my goodness the implications! Like him, but we literally are members of his body? These very bodies will be raised incorruptible, certainly physical in some sense —I can't help grinning at all the thoughts crowding in here! It will be so good!

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟796,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
But he told Thomas to touch him.
It may have been rhetorical, maybe even a way to show Thomas that it was indeed him, who knew what Thomas had said. It doesn't say Thomas did touch him. Personally, I don't think Thomas needed to after that.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟281,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jan001

Striving to win the prize...
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

English Standard Version

I think perhaps Jesus means that she will see him again soon, so she should not detain him presently.

Reactions: John G.
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

English Standard Version

The point, and as I have always argued it, is that Jesus is saying "Don't cling to Me" in that He will not remain with them forever, He will be leaving them as He said He would, by ascending and returning to the Father in heaven. He said many times that He would be with them only for a short time, but that He would not leave them alone and as orphans--He would send the Holy Spirit, and would remain present with them. But being with them, as they had known and experienced Him, would not last. He had more to say after He rose, He stayed with them for another forty days, but then He ascended.

He remains physical, after all we receive His physical flesh and blood every time we partake of His Supper. But the kind of face-to-face experience of the Lord which they knew as they had spent time with Him, both before and after His resurrection would end after He ascended.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

English Standard Version

She touched his virtue as if it were a physical object and it drained out of him completely.

Now churches are full of such people, many should avoid like leper colonies.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟796,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
She touched his virtue as if it were a physical object and it drained out of him completely.

Are you saying he had no virtue left?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I think you might need to elaborate. How does virtue get touched and how does it drain?

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think you might need to elaborate. How does virtue get touched and how does it drain?

-CryptoLutheran
The apostles didn't get it either since he was in a crowd. If virtue was a tangible object, then the method of "touching" is metaphysical.

• Agree
Upvote 0