Visit site
✟1,516,289.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually we are not and you have referred to the system of control.
Yes, we are. A "system of control," for the purposes of this discussion, is a system which gives one person the entitlement to control another.
Saying "not that kind of hierarchy' implies there are other kinds including good kinds and therefore hierarchies are not automatically abusive.
We are talking, for the purposes of this thread, about hierarchies in which one person directly controls another. All other sorts of hierarchies are irrelevant to the topic.
Often when we say normal it means it is thinking and behaviour that we normally fall under, have an inclination or default way of thinking and behaving. So its not something subject to good or right. It just happens like bonding happens.
But when it comes to social structures, we can choose to change them. They don't have to "just happen" unjustly.
I am saying to assume that all social hierarchies that form within society are inherently aaabusive control is to falsely accuse some hierarchies of being abusive when they may actually be the opposite.
You are misrepresenting my position. I am not saying that "all social hierarchies are inherently abusive control."
Its one fact taken out of context
Taken out of context! The context here is abuse. Actual, real abuse. That is a highly relevant context.
Thats because we can show as already done that valuing hierarchies as the ordering principle for relationships is also normal and healthy way to organise society.
I would argue that you cannot say that of dominance hierarchies. Since they are systematised relationships of control they are, by definition, not a healthy way to organise society.
But when you keep saying it could be, it also could not be and is not for the majoirty of the time within the same hierarchal family structure thaat puts the parents at the top.
You don't seem to understand that there's a difference between parents providing some control as necessary given the developmental immaturity of children, and valuing control as the defining dynamic of parenting.
We have to be grounded to tell whether what you are offering is realitic and based on the evidence. So far you have conflated a lot of what is normal and healthy beliefs and ideas as abusive. So thats exactly why we need some grounding.
That was not the sense of the word "grounding" under discussion. But from where I'm standing, it's not that I'm conflating normal and healthy things as abusive, but that you don't see the harm in a lot of possibly normal, but deeply unhealthy things.
We can only talk about what is abuse by understanding what is not abuse.
I don't agree. We can define abuse on its own terms, without needing to define it as the opposite of not-abuse.
Your own language is contradictive and implies any control is abuse.
In case it has not been made painfully clear enough (although I really thought it had), I am speaking of the direct control of one person by another, to coerce or limit, beyond what is necessary to prevent harm. Any other example of "control" is not relevant to this thread.
But what is an absolute minimum. What does that even mean in the wider societal context. We have so many controls that it would be hard to know where to start.
Frankly, for the purposes of this thread, I don't really care. I'm happy to state the principle, and then get back to the actual topic, which is about the sort of control which far exceeds that minimum and is obviously abusive.
I am not sure any arguements for husbands controlling wives would ever get off the ground in todays Woke society.
Then you need to read more threads on this forum, for a start.
I think those oldfer stereotypical beliefs though still around are a dying breed.
I wish that were true, but there seems to be a conservative backlash/resurgence. You just have to look at the public discourse to see it.
Of course its a hierarchy, even hierarchies within hierarchies. Overall we have the different levels of jurisdiction and legal power. Thats the administration side but theres also the legal side as in levels of legal recendents, criminal law, civil law, family law, corporate law. Then you have all the local laws and regulations. If it wasn't for hierarchal organisation we would not be able to know what was what.
But given that citizens have participation and input at every level, I would still say it's not a hierarchy in the classic sense of those above controlling those below. We do not live in an autocracy.
So heres the problem. To many in society today the Trad Wife scenario of male earning and out there developing career and wife stuck at home with kids looking after home may look like an abusive situation.
But neither you nor I would agree that that is an abusive situation, unless there is control/coercion going on. So it's irrelevant. And it's incredibly frustrating that you keep bringing it up when we both agree it's irrelevant.
.Then why do advocates who promote abuse prevention talk about equalising womens pay, job status, be on corporate boards and financially stronger as part of preventing abuse against women.
Because a woman who has financial independence can leave an abusive situation. A woman who doesn't have financial independence, can't, at least not nearly so easily. It's about making sure she's not trapped.
It may well be or it may well be not. How do you tell.
You would have to look at the situation and what is happening. The hypothetical is too vague to say anything meaningful.
No you havn't. You gave one article about dominance hierarchies in animals.
I gave you several, but I I can find more.

This is a very good read, which critiques some of your underlying assumptions: When Inequality Fails: Power, Group Dominance, and Societal Change| Journal of Social and Political Psychology

This starts with a study of fish behaviour, but goes on to make observations about organisational leadership:

Dominance hierarchies as limiting group potential:

On the harm of dominance hierarchies:
I've been very clear
You might think you have, but as the person reading and responding, I often do not find your position clear at all. To the extent that I have sometimes suspected this to be deliberate obfuscation (though I have tried to respond in a way which gives you the benefit of the doubt).
But then you contradict your position when you make out all control is abusive with statments like "is there any good or non abusive control" ect. You make the exceptions because I bring them up and I have to keep bringing them up when you revert back to those assumptions that they are inherently bad.
I am taking the clear exception as read, since it has now been stated many times, and trying to discuss the vast majority of control, which does not fall into those exceptions.
But you miss the overall point that its the same hierarchy that can have the high or law disparity.
Low disparity would be less hierarchy. Hierarchy in which the differences between people at different levels are much more limited.
Exactly so a hierarchy that may organise people and society in ranks doesn't mean its abusive control.
It is fortunate, then, that I have consistently made a clear distinction between prestige hierarchies - those which organise people in "ranks" - and dominance hierarchies, which are relationships of control.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟249,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think you can really have it both ways, steve. If you post articles about animals to support your arguments, then you probably ought consider articles about animals which offer a different perspective.
Yes I can have it both ways. I posted articles about humans as well. Your once again taking the outlier and making the entire basis for my evidence. I specifically linked that article to show how hierarchies are a natural part of life. We can trace human behaviour back to other species especially primates. Ours is just a more higher order of the same basic instincts.

For example primates may use strength and power to establish hierarchies but in ways we would consider inappropriate. But we still have these power and strength hierarchies like primates except we apply a more sophisticated value system. So strength and power may be viewed as beneficial for humans in constructing society in practical ways instead of using it for dominating others through stregth.

But at its most basic level strength and power are still valued when it comes to protection and keeping order. Unfortunately this is human nature that people can be evil.
That is about prestige hierarchies, not dominance hierarchies.
No, how people get along and defining who they are is not just about prestige. Its about self worth, identity, the characteristics that we value as nobel, competent across a wide range of behaviours from economic to good moral leaders. We are constantly evaluating and ranking people along these lines.

Ranking people on character, integrity, honesty, knowhow, resilence, emotional maturity, people skills, mangaing skills ect. We rank people into hierarchies based on these social values and we look up to those who have these or likewise look down on poor representations and put them at the bottom.
This is not at all what I have said. I have argued against the type of hierarchies in which people directly control others.
But like I said you have also said directly and indirectly that any control or hierarchy perse is automatically and inherently the abusive type. Has a tendency to be abusive.

You posted that link and highlighted how it said any and all hierarchies are negative and we should not support them. That hierarchies naturally lead to abuse and harm. That is what the article was about. So you have taken what applies to animals and are trying to make out they apply to humans.
On its own, not necessarily. In the context of the rest of what I quoted, which also mentioned physical, emotional, economic and psychological harm; inflexibility, authoritarianism, inequity and violence, then the whole picture becomes problematic.
The point was I used aggression as a signifyer of abuse in the same way. Linking agression to certain cognitive and emotional states and mindsets of abusers and the economic and psychological distress associated with controlling thinking. But you rejected it as irrelevant. Now you are appealing to the same determinants.
It is, however, useful to be able to make a distinction between the kinds of hierarchies which are about control (dominance), and those which are not (prestige).
Yes but to do that we must wade through the hierarchies that are good and healthy and promote a well organised society. In fact like I said the abusive controlling hierarchies are usually the same hierarchies gone bad. Like prestige maybe be a well earned consequence of hard work and enterprise it may become elitism. Where an individual or group may dominate others due to a natural evolution of differences some in those dominant positions may then use that to dominate others.
That's not a dominance hierarchy.
Why they not dominating others indirectly. Direct domination is obvious but its the upstream social dynamics that we need to identify as to what may lead to situations that allow individuals to dominate.

The example used was how males dominated the workforce and how this lead to dominate abuse in the bedroom. It didn't just start in the home. It began with a natural evolution of males dominating a sector of society and then making that the norm which laid the platform for abusive domination.

In that sense the example I agve of males dominating the building industry can be taken as laying a platform for abuse. But it also may not and just be a natural evolution of how society organises where they value strength and male qualities for that industry. So its a natural hierarchy but we must also monitor it so that it doesn't become absuively dominate by also allowing equality. But if after allowing that males still dominate then this should be considered a natural state of affairs ot at least not necessarily abusive.

I guess what I am saying is that sometimes natural and normal setups can have similar chartacteristics of abusive setups on the surface but when we dig down we find they are not. Hense the importance of digging down, qualifying them as abuse or not and not assuming based on superficial aspects.
By definition, a dominance hierarchy is one in which some people control others. That is the key attribute of abuse.
OK its a key attribute of abuse but it can also be a key attribute of a stable and well functioning society. Let me clarify. Are you saying control perse, any control is an attribute of abuse.
Why, since you're so busy advocating for the benefits of dominance hierarchies?
I am not advocating for the benefits of dominance hierarchies. I am saying that dominance hierarchies can also naturally form. For me dominance means that certain groups dominate in society and in doing so will gain some benefits and control over others in some way.

In fact as society works now even minority groups can gain dominance over others and control them. We see this in how minority groups can dictate policy on the majority. Thats the way our system works.
On what grounds would you discourage them, if not that they incubate abusive control?
If it allows certain groups to dominate based on a natural evolution of behaviour then I see no problem. In fact in some ways denying their dominance is denying their natural abilities and creativity.

But abusive dominance is pretty different and its obvious that we should not allow it and discourage it. You don't need to be a rocket scientists to know this. Abusive and violent dominance is what it says in the name, abusive and violent dominance. The signs are 'abusive and violent controlling as opposed to natural and necessary control which has a good reason.

Other signs like you said agression, denial of the same human rights in that situation, treating others differently that it harms them based on race, gender, sex, beliefs, ect. I think where it becomes harder to define is the upstream assumptions, thinking and beliefs that people argue about based on their ideological outlook as to what constitutes abusive control.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,841.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The world assumes we should accept oppression as its governance. God says the opposite.
The ultimate form is now coming into play across the world as people are increasingly being monitored and punished for speaking out against a controlled narrative, most recently with a law passed in Canada of all places. Of course it is for our own protection LOL Little despots like our current PM are feeling quite smug about this new power, one which could eventually put an end to free elections as opposition to globalist power would be seen as illegal.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,516,289.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes I can have it both ways.
If you're going to argue in bad faith, is there any point to this discussion?
For example primates may use strength and power to establish hierarchies but in ways we would consider inappropriate. But we still have these power and strength hierarchies like primates except we apply a more sophisticated value system. So strength and power may be viewed as beneficial for humans in constructing society in practical ways instead of using it for dominating others through stregth.
I'm sorry, but this doesn't match what I've been reading. When humans use strength and power to establish hierarchies - with the strong controlling the weak - our behaviours are just as inappropriate as what we might see in other primates. One of the links I gave you gave examples; bullying, authoritarianism, violence, and so on.
But at its most basic level strength and power are still valued when it comes to protection and keeping order.
Ah yes, if I had a dollar for every man who's argued for power and control over women because it's their role to "protect" us... I'd have enough money to buy my very own bear. :rolleyes:
No, how people get along and defining who they are is not just about prestige. Its about self worth, identity, the characteristics that we value as nobel, competent across a wide range of behaviours from economic to good moral leaders. We are constantly evaluating and ranking people along these lines.
That is a prestige hierarchy. A hierarchy which ranks people on particular traits is a prestige hierarchy. A hierarchy which involves dimensions of control is a dominance hierarchy.
But like I said you have also said directly and indirectly that any control or hierarchy perse is automatically and inherently the abusive type. Has a tendency to be abusive.
We are discussing abusive hierarchies. Non-abusive hierarchies are not relevant to this thread. At this point, I'd consider it progress if you would even acknowledge that control is a problem, rather than arguing for it all the time.
The point was I used aggression as a signifyer of abuse in the same way. Linking agression to certain cognitive and emotional states and mindsets of abusers and the economic and psychological distress associated with controlling thinking. But you rejected it as irrelevant. Now you are appealing to the same determinants.
No, I am not appealing to the same determinants. I am pointing out the problems with an ideology of hierarchy, power and control. I am not referring to cognitive and emotional distress at all.
Why they not dominating others indirectly.
A dominance hierarchy is one in which people higher up in the hierarchy control those lower down. That is very different to, say, one group dominating a particular field of work, or whatever, because that is not about control. It's a different sense of the word "dominance."
The example used was how males dominated the workforce and how this lead to dominate abuse in the bedroom. It didn't just start in the home. It began with a natural evolution of males dominating a sector of society and then making that the norm which laid the platform for abusive domination.
I'm not at all convinced that's an accurate depiction of the history of either the workforce or the bedroom, but since it's basically off topic, I'm not going to pursue it.
OK its a key attribute of abuse but it can also be a key attribute of a stable and well functioning society. Let me clarify. Are you saying control perse, any control is an attribute of abuse.
I am saying any control of one person by another, beyond a necessary minimum to prevent harm, is a problem and at least highly likely to be abusive.

Note, again, we are not talking about things like social structures of a democracy. We are talking about one person coercing or limiting the other.
I am not advocating for the benefits of dominance hierarchies. I am saying that dominance hierarchies can also naturally form.
So what? All sorts of harmful things can form "naturally." Since we choose our social structures, we can reform the harmful ones.

(But for someone not advocating for dominance hierarchies, you sure seem to be very invested in, well, advocating for them).
If it allows certain groups to dominate based on a natural evolution of behaviour then I see no problem. In fact in some ways denying their dominance is denying their natural abilities and creativity.
You just said, "I agree that concepts like dominance when it comes to human relationships should be discouraged." And this was your reply, when I asked on what grounds you would discourage it.

So which is it? Should dominance (control of one person by another) be discouraged, or should we allow it because to refuse to do so would be to do deny the dominant person their natural abilities and creativity?
But abusive dominance is pretty different and its obvious that we should not allow it and discourage it.
You seem pretty confused about the difference in the above exchange.

I think @timothyu hits the nail on the head with this: "The world assumes we should accept oppression as its governance. God says the opposite." Oppression is another word for that dynamic of dominance, power, control, and so on.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟249,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you're going to argue in bad faith, is there any point to this discussion?
I am not arguing in good faith. You are making it more of an issue than is justified. That link was one of several but you choose to make it everything as I am using that alone and because I am defending this its bad faith.

I explained why I linked it and its relevance which is a fact. We often use animals especially primates for understanding human behaviour at the base level to show how much of our behaviour stems from primates. That is exactly why I linked that particular article to show that even animals form hierarchies in various ways and is not entirely a social construction.
I'm sorry, but this doesn't match what I've been reading. When humans use strength and power to establish hierarchies - with the strong controlling the weak - our behaviours are just as inappropriate as what we might see in other primates. One of the links I gave you gave examples; bullying, authoritarianism, violence, and so on.
Your not seeing the forest through the trees. Why are males more often those who abusively dominate and violently control. Because evolutionary like primates they are stronger and more powerful. So they will generally dominate all aspects of society that involve power and strength ie they dominate the building industry, mining, oil rigging, military, police ect.

But they also dominate crime, assault and violence, DV, gang violence, terrorism, prision. But its the same natural evolution that makes males stronger and more powerful but for humans because we are also capable of evil this natural instinct becomes distorted and misplaced into being used abusively.
Ah yes, if I had a dollar for every man who's argued for power and control over women because it's their role to "protect" us... I'd have enough money to buy my very own bear.
Who said anything about males using power and strength to abuse women in the name of protecting them. THis is another good example of how you conflate things towards identity politics rather than having a balanced view of things. Like the word 'control' being conflated into being only abusive, the word protection being conflated automatically into abuse or like the word mascullinity being conflated into only abusive. Its a lop side way to see the world where everyone is either a perpetrator or victim.

My point was that because of this natural evolution that males are bigger, stronger and more powerful that they will end up in positions of power and strength naturall, nothing to do with abuse. We see this in how they dominate construction industry and other heavy labor and strength based areas like sports and mining ect. But they also dominate the military and law enforcement which happen to be a big part of protecting society and our way of life.

Its this same natural instinct that gets distorted and instead of males being nobel and good protectors they become vicious and absuive, controlling and dominate. But the power and strength they naturally have is not itself a toxic or abusive thing.
That is a prestige hierarchy. A hierarchy which ranks people on particular traits is a prestige hierarchy. A hierarchy which involves dimensions of control is a dominance hierarchy.
And how do people get to the upper levels of a hierarchy but not by the status value and ranking they give people. They certainly would not elevate them based on traits of abusive dominance. Human relations are more dynamical and prestige and dominance are entangled.

What can be valued as prestige can become dominance, is the gateway to dominating because we are valuing human behaviour and how relationships are structured. So naturally any status and rank we give to these traits can become the same traits that are used to dominate others.
We are discussing abusive hierarchies. Non-abusive hierarchies are not relevant to this thread. At this point, I'd consider it progress if you would even acknowledge that control is a problem, rather than arguing for it all the time.
I have always been saying control can be a problem by the fact that I argue that control can be used for good and bad. I already have acknowledge this many times. You just don't recognise it because your completely consumed withj everything about control being abuse. In fact I see it as if I did not add balance and factual reality to the discussion I would be helping to cultivate and unreal ideology that is damaging in itself.

When discussing abusive hierarchies non abusive examples will and should naturally come up to understand how hierarchies work and what is actually abusive or not. As we have seen its contextual and demands unpacking otherwise we will misinterpret, misdiagnose, misunderstand and cause more harm.
No, I am not appealing to the same determinants. I am pointing out the problems with an ideology of hierarchy, power and control. I am not referring to cognitive and emotional distress at all.
The question is why notwhen its so central. But I though you appealed tothese determinants when you linked this
"Feelings of guilt, fear, and stress can be used as markers of a harmful disparity.". So emotions like fear and guilt and factors like stress are markers for the disparity within abusive hierarchies. That seems pretty straight forward that emotions and stress which also leads to distress are determinants of abuse.
A dominance hierarchy is one in which people higher up in the hierarchy control those lower down. That is very different to, say, one group dominating a particular field of work, or whatever, because that is not about control. It's a different sense of the word "dominance."
So why then are preventative measures aimed at reducing abuse and the dominance of say males in certain sectors while increasing women. Or reducing the dominance of whites and increasing minority representation.
I'm not at all convinced that's an accurate depiction of the history of either the workforce or the bedroom, but since it's basically off topic, I'm not going to pursue it.
Its not really off topic. We have to understand the natural and evolving differences and how people and society ended up in the situations they did as part of determining what is actually abusive behaviour.

Otherwise you mistakenly attribute abuse to what may be natural and healthy. You have already made this mistake which shows the need for unpacking what is actually happening and looking at the evidence rather than relying on subjective opinion.
I am saying any control of one person by another, beyond a necessary minimum to prevent harm, is a problem and at least highly likely to be abusive.
I agree but the point is determining what control is abusive or not and not assuming that all control is unnecessary. You have already conflated non abusive control as abusive so we need to clarify this and not assume.
Note, again, we are not talking about things like social structures of a democracy. We are talking about one person coercing or limiting the other.
But I though the whole point of prevention as you have said yourself is that its not just preventing individuals abusively controlling others in those specific situations but addressing the societal attitudes and beliefs that underpin abuse. That lay the platform and cultivate situations where abuse is allowed to happen.

In that sense social structures are all part of what cultivates abuse and create the situations to abuse and for abuse and violence to thrive.
So what? All sorts of harmful things can form "naturally."
No they don't. Our sex drive is natural and not harmful. But people rape and are sexually violent. Our drive to need food, susutigen can become gluttoness and our instinct to percieve threat for survival can become distorted percieving unreal threats and provoking abusive and violence behaviour. These abusive and controlling behaviours stem from our natural instincts which are expressed in negative ways.
Since we choose our social structures, we can reform the harmful ones.
Yes that is exactly right. These social structures can be positive or negative and we can come to understand when they underpin abuse and can become abusive and harmful. So just like all things there is a good and evil side and humans can be abusive or non abusive in the same situation.

The key is being able to identify clearly when its abusive especially upstream as this may seem ok to people but we have to look at what basis these beliefs are formed on to expose their unreality and potential to lead to abuse. We can only do that by understanding how and why humans abuse. What cultivates that in society.
(But for someone not advocating for dominance hierarchies, you sure seem to be very invested in, well, advocating for them).
Don't mistake discussion about clarifying what exactly is abusive dominance and control from non abusive situations. You once again conflating, crating Red Herrings and Strawmen to knock down.

I have been clear on this seperating what is abuse and what is not, well trying to. But you seem to keep turning everything back to abuse only as though its all abusive and there is no non abusive examples and behaviour to find. Thats an imbalance and dangerous view as it risks misinterpreting reality and denying who we are.
You just said, "I agree that concepts like dominance when it comes to human relationships should be discouraged." And this was your reply, when I asked on what grounds you would discourage it.
Thats because your worldview is biased towards all dominance and control being abusive. So when someone states the facts that dominance and control is not always abusive you interpret that as saying dominance and abusive control is ok. This is a common misunderstanding due to simplfying the world into abusers and victims. Seeing all differences as abuse and oppression. You have expressed this in many ways as I have pointed out.
So which is it? Should dominance (control of one person by another) be discouraged, or should we allow it because to refuse to do so would be to do deny the dominant person their natural abilities and creativity?
It depends on the context. I thought we already established this. You are creating an either/or fallacy that dominance is either always bad and nothing else rather than both bad and good depending on context.

We can determine abusive dominance when one person is dominating and abusively controlling another for no justified reason within the context. OPerhaps an example is needed.

Take pronouns and other behaviour that is being legislated into policy and law. A persons language and behaviour is controlled by someone else. They may have the right to disgree but will face sanctions and even dismissal. So its a forced control over another by a minority. This is seen as good policy to help stop abuse.

This example happens in many situations where one group and even on individual levels is dominating another and controlling their space, controlling what they can say and how to behave. Sure they can disagree but they face social condemnation, shaming, and suffer poor wellbeing and financial damage.
You seem pretty confused about the difference in the above exchange.
No am very clear. You just cannot grasp it because you ideological outlook limits what you can see in the reality of how people interact and how society operates.
I think @timothyu hits the nail on the head with this: "The world assumes we should accept oppression as its governance. God says the opposite." Oppression is another word for that dynamic of dominance, power, control, and so on.
I tend to agree. This relates to what I was saying that society thinks they are free but we are actually slaves to the system. We are more oppressed in different ways than we think. That most people follow an ideology that actually makes them sick mentally and physically is testament to this.

God does say the opposite. But He also has a standard of behaviour that needs to be controlled otherwise they will be punished. That is true not just of the afterlife but today. We are not free to do whatever we want and its unreal to think we arenot subject to controls in life.

If we are talking about GOds ideal which is HIs Kingdom on earth then much of modern society is the "opposite of God" and therefore is contributing to the cultivation of a society that will be divisive and destructive. Creating a worldly and secular ideology about how we should order society rather than one in which God is central in our relationships. The more we buy into that ideology the more we cultivate violence and abuse.

In fact modern society rejects God, rejects the idea of self sacrifice and putting others first. If we really want to talk about preventative measures then don't you think something like Gods Kingdowm on earth is the ideal setup. Not actually dispising and rejecting God and His order for humankind.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,516,289.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am not arguing in good faith. You are making it more of an issue than is justified.
I'm sorry, but if you want to be able to offer a certain kind of evidence, but reject that same kind of evidence from others, that kind of hypocrisy comes across as engaging in bad faith.
Why are males more often those who abusively dominate and violently control. Because evolutionary like primates they are stronger and more powerful.
So what? We should just accept that behaviour?
Who said anything about males using power and strength to abuse women in the name of protecting them.
I'm pointing out that the arguments about men "protecting" women are often used to justify gender roles which limit women.
Like the word 'control' being conflated into being only abusive, the word protection being conflated automatically into abuse or like the word mascullinity being conflated into only abusive.
Here's my lived reality; I'm 44 years old. I can only think of one instance in my entire life where I've had a man protect me (ironically enough, from another man). But I've heard plenty of arguments by men that their "protector" role equates to women needing to conform to particular gendered expectations, mostly to do with us staying home. So yes, I profoundly distrust arguments about men as protectors, because in my experience, they are mostly deployed to keep women dependent on men.
Its this same natural instinct that gets distorted and instead of males being nobel and good protectors they become vicious and absuive, controlling and dominate.
The problem is that framing men as protectors automatically frames women as helpless and dependent, which feeds into the unequal power dynamics.
They certainly would not elevate them based on traits of abusive dominance.
When I look around, even just at world leaders, I'm not so sure about that. "Abusive dominance" seems like a pretty good description of Trump's behaviour, and yet look at how popular he is.
What can be valued as prestige can become dominance, is the gateway to dominating because we are valuing human behaviour and how relationships are structured. So naturally any status and rank we give to these traits can become the same traits that are used to dominate others.
I don't think I agree. We can have highly respected figures to whom a great deal of prestige is given, without setting up dynamics in which they control others.
I have always been saying control can be a problem by the fact that I argue that control can be used for good and bad. I already have acknowledge this many times.
Very well. What would you suggest we do, then, to limit dynamics of control in the household, so that the harm of abusive control can be avoided?

That would be a far more productive discussion than trying to argue that this or that other unrelated aspect of control is good.
The question is why notwhen its so central.
Because I think it's a red herring.
But I though you appealed tothese determinants when you linked this
"Feelings of guilt, fear, and stress can be used as markers of a harmful disparity.". So emotions like fear and guilt and factors like stress are markers for the disparity within abusive hierarchies. That seems pretty straight forward that emotions and stress which also leads to distress are determinants of abuse.
But you were arguing for emotional distress on the part of the abuser. That quote is referring to emotional distress on the part of the person lower down in the hierarchy; the person being abused and conrolled.
So why then are preventative measures aimed at reducing abuse and the dominance of say males in certain sectors while increasing women. Or reducing the dominance of whites and increasing minority representation.
I think you are conflating very different issues. Not everything is directly about abuse prevention.
We have to understand the natural and evolving differences and how people and society ended up in the situations they did as part of determining what is actually abusive behaviour.
I disagree. Abusive behaviour might be "natural," it might have evolved over a long time, but it would still be abusive. The measure is whether the behaviour is causing harm.
You have already conflated non abusive control as abusive so we need to clarify this and not assume.
Which specific instance of non abusive control do you claim I have claimed to be abusive?
But I though the whole point of prevention as you have said yourself is that its not just preventing individuals abusively controlling others in those specific situations but addressing the societal attitudes and beliefs that underpin abuse.
But that was not the question you asked.
No they don't.
Nonsense. Cancer is natural. Viral infections are natural. Miscarriage is natural. "Natural" just means something occurs, it does not mean it is good.
Yes that is exactly right.
Then we are not stuck with harmful dominance hierarchies just because they're "natural."
But you seem to keep turning everything back to abuse only as though its all abusive and there is no non abusive examples and behaviour to find.
In this thread, we are discussing abuse. Every other thing under the sun is just irrelevant.
It depends on the context.
Good grief. I really thought that would be a rhetorical question. No, it really doesn't depend on the context. We do not allow one person to control another in order to express their "natural abilities and creativity."
Take pronouns and other behaviour that is being legislated into policy and law. A persons language and behaviour is controlled by someone else. They may have the right to disgree but will face sanctions and even dismissal. So its a forced control over another by a minority. This is seen as good policy to help stop abuse.
Well, we could get in to whether there is, in fact, a justified reason within the context for such a policy and law. But I think that would also be unhelpfully off topic.
If we are talking about GOds ideal which is HIs Kingdom on earth then much of modern society is the "opposite of God" and therefore is contributing to the cultivation of a society that will be divisive and destructive. Creating a worldly and secular ideology about how we should order society rather than one in which God is central in our relationships. The more we buy into that ideology the more we cultivate violence and abuse.
And central to that ideology of violence and abuse are dynamics of hierarchy, power, control and rigid roles.
If we really want to talk about preventative measures then don't you think something like Gods Kingdowm on earth is the ideal setup. Not actually dispising and rejecting God and His order for humankind.
I suspect my understanding of the reign of God and yours are very, very different. Mine does not lock people into a predetermined "order," but invites them to participate in the mission of God according to their unique mix of gifts, talents, personality, experience, and so on.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟249,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry, but if you want to be able to offer a certain kind of evidence, but reject that same kind of evidence from others, that kind of hypocrisy comes across as engaging in bad faith.
I am not sure what you mean, can you elaborate.
So what? We should just accept that behaviour?
No, thats not the point. We don't want to accept any abusive behaviour regardless of other factors. The point is we need to consider those factors to understand the problem to be able to address it properly.
I'm pointing out that the arguments about men "protecting" women are often used to justify gender roles which limit women.
Yes some men do but most don't.
Here's my lived reality; I'm 44 years old. I can only think of one instance in my entire life where I've had a man protect me (ironically enough, from another man). But I've heard plenty of arguments by men that their "protector" role equates to women needing to conform to particular gendered expectations, mostly to do with us staying home. So yes, I profoundly distrust arguments about men as protectors, because in my experience, they are mostly deployed to keep women dependent on men.
Well that indicates that you have a personal interest in this and may well find it harder to detach yourself and see things objectively. That is understandable as being personally affected and lived experience is real 'for that person'. But not necessarily in reality when all factors are considered.

The problem is that framing men as protectors automatically frames women as helpless and dependent, which feeds into the unequal power dynamics.
That is your view but acknowledging the male natural inclination to feel and identify as being someone who wants to protect others, their family, their community and nation is not about oppressing anyone. That some bad males abuse doesn't make the majority abusers.

It only appears that way to those who see the world and human relationships as power relationships, as oppressors and victims. But for most people we don't automatically think that. We understand the nobel and good male qualities where they are willing to lay down their lives to protect others. This is a natural part of being a male. Denying that is denying males.
When I look around, even just at world leaders, I'm not so sure about that. "Abusive dominance" seems like a pretty good description of Trump's behaviour, and yet look at how popular he is.
Probably because they don't just see that he is abusive. I mean didn't he win an election so obviously the majority thought he was ok. Though I am not endorsing any candidate quite often the choice is between two bad candidates and people have to pick what they believe is the least worst. I don't think most polititicians are honest and are more about holding onto power than what is best for society.

I mean look at Truduea who is suppose to be the darling of the Left and opposite to Trump. He has been bringing in controling laws that are taking peoples freedoms away in the name of doing good, of bringing in a new DEI Utopia. Just a deceptive and coercive way to govern like a dictator which I think is just as abusive.
I don't think I agree. We can have highly respected figures to whom a great deal of prestige is given, without setting up dynamics in which they control others.
Its not that we the people set them up. We put them there becauseof the good qualities and necessity of having someone competent in that position. But once there they can manipulate the system and abuse. We often see this when we realize that the leaders we thought when the leaders or government we thought was going to do the right thing turn out to bring in changes we did not agree with.

I read or heard somewhere I think it might have been in Australia that there are policies and laws that have been brought in that only around 5% of the people wanted. That means a minority was able to force a change through over the majority. This happens when minor parties have a hold over the major parties to win power.

Or when a government becomes ideologically motivated du to the infiltration of ideologues into positions of influence such as how DEI ideology has infiltrated into the Labor and Socialist parties. They can then force that ideology onto the majority without them even realising. Look at how the UN allowed their own representatives to teach terrorism in the name of DEI.
Very well. What would you suggest we do, then, to limit dynamics of control in the household, so that the harm of abusive control can be avoided?
I don't think we should meddle with peoples relationships, families and homes like some big brother. We know the red flags of abusive control and we should continue to promote equality and have support for couples and families. Create networks of support and community. But at the same time we have to allow for people to make they own arrangements.

If a couple voluntarily agreed to live under a Trad Marriage on the surface some may interpret this as controlling and abusive. So how would we even be able to tell on the surface whether this was a controlling and abusive situation. What are we going to do have the State spy on them.
That would be a far more productive discussion than trying to argue that this or that other unrelated aspect of control is good.
Well its all related. But I don't mind talking about any aspect of this issue, its all important and the more the better. I know I enjoy getting a better understanding of the issue and we can always do with better understanding which can only come from investigation.
Because I think it's a red herring.
Ok why do you think its a red herring when you supported the same idea and created the so called red herring when you used the determinants as part of identifying the disparities within hierarchies.
But you were arguing for emotional distress on the part of the abuser. That quote is referring to emotional distress on the part of the person lower down in the hierarchy; the person being abused and conrolled.
So its ok to use the determinants of the victim but not the abuser.
I think you are conflating very different issues.
I think its directly related. A big part of dealing with abuse and violence according to current policy is to equalise society because it stops unequal relationships which can lead to controlling abuse.

How can we go in and tell people who may feel abused and controlled by the system to not abuse and control others. It sends a mixed message, in fact it undermines any message to stop abusing.
Not everything is directly about abuse prevention.
I agree not everything is about prevention and thats why we need a multipronged approach to the problem. Thats why helping people, supporting people at the same time also helps attitudes and beliefs change to be more positive.
I disagree. Abusive behaviour might be "natural," it might have evolved over a long time, but it would still be abusive.
Theres the problem right here. No one is saying abusive behaviour is natural. We have to seperate the abusive behaviour from what is natural. The natural is not abusive because its natural, its part of being human and if it wasn't then we would not be human. If denied then we are denying humans.

I gave the example. Mating is natural, thats the instinct. But abuse is abusing that natural inclination into rape and sexual abuse. We don't gey rid of the natural inclination, we promote a healthy expression of that natural inclination.
The measure is whether the behaviour is causing harm.
Yes exactly and its the grounding of that harm in facts and not some ideology. This measure will work no matter what ideology we support about what is abuse or not because the proof in the pudding so to speak. The evidence comes out in real life situations. We see it spill into the streets.

But it gets more complicated when we talk about upstream beliefs and assumptions that have not yet spilt onto the streets. Or may have done so but now the current generation have created another situation where abuse happens but its justified once more. Like in how womens rights are being would back in the name of DEI.

But once again that requires grounding otherwise who knows whats what, what upstream ideas and beliefs are ok to promote within society. WE have been able to expose toxic and harmful ideas and beliefs by exposing them to reality, to how they actually pan out in real like and the harm they cause.

But evenso still people want to believe these ideas despite the evidence which I guess its the whole purpose of belief, to believe in ideas despite the evdience and reality.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,516,289.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure what you mean, can you elaborate.
I mean that it is hypocritical to supply articles about hierarchies in animals to support your articles, and then object when I supply articles about hierarchies in animals to support my arguments.
Yes some men do but most don't.
But we don't need men as protectors; and we don't need to be cast as helpless damsels in need of protection.
Well that indicates that you have a personal interest in this
Of course I do. I'm a woman. Every woman has a personal interest in the systemic and cultural disempowerment of women. That doesn't mean we can't see things objectively; it may well mean we can see things that men, who are not similarly systemically and culturally disempowered, are blind to.
That is understandable as being personally affected and lived experience is real 'for that person'. But not necessarily in reality when all factors are considered.
Gaslighting ill becomes you.
That is your view but acknowledging the male natural inclination to feel and identify as being someone who wants to protect others, their family, their community and nation is not about oppressing anyone.
I don't agree that it's "natural" at all. It's cultural. And if men frame themselves as protectors of women, it does feed into oppression.

"Men are supposedly protectors, providers, and leaders—a belief that upholds patriarchal systems and social inequalities, and underpins the institutional and domestic violence that women face."

"When I used to say I would protect my female friends it perpetuated the same cycle of objectification and dehumanization that violence against women does."

"Similarly, campaigns that engage men as protectors of women’s rights, such as HeForShe, can reinforce the concept of powerful men “saving” helpless women."

"Masculinities may take on a greater protectionist angle that leads to controlling behavior."

"Specifically, implementers should avoid engaging men as “protectors” of women and girls."
We understand the nobel and good male qualities where they are willing to lay down their lives to protect others.
Why is that a male quality? As if women do not lay down their lives?

There's nothing gendered about virtue.
Its not that we the people set them up. We put them there becauseof the good qualities and necessity of having someone competent in that position.
We set up the dynamics of the system, though.
I don't think we should meddle with peoples relationships, families and homes like some big brother.
We have two options; either we "meddle," or we accept the current abuse rate and do nothing about it.
If a couple voluntarily agreed to live under a Trad Marriage on the surface some may interpret this as controlling and abusive. So how would we even be able to tell on the surface whether this was a controlling and abusive situation. What are we going to do have the State spy on them.
We have agreed that trad marriage is irrelevant. Abuse can happen in any marriage, so we tell in the same ways we tell for any marriage, and that is mostly by empowering every woman to understand abuse, and giving her every opportunity to disclose safely.
Ok why do you think its a red herring when you supported the same idea and created the so called red herring when you used the determinants as part of identifying the disparities within hierarchies.
I was demonstrating the problem of ideologies of hierarchy, power and control. Trying to make that about cognitive and emotional distress is to spectacularly miss the point.
So its ok to use the determinants of the victim but not the abuser.
Again, I was demonstrating the problem of ideologies of hierarchy, power and control. That evidence was pertinent.
The natural is not abusive because its natural.
A chillingly completely incorrect statement. Behaviour (that we see as) natural may well be abusive. That is, the question of whether or not behaviour is "natural" is simply irrelevant to whether it is abusive.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟249,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I mean that it is hypocritical to supply articles about hierarchies in animals to support your articles, and then object when I supply articles about hierarchies in animals to support my arguments.
Oh ok. But theres a big difference. I didn't link that article about animals to support human social hierarchies. That was done by the other articles I linked. So that had already been established. As I said I only linked that to show how social hierarchies can be traced back to other species to show that it stems from a natural evolution.

Whereas you were using your link about animals to support the kind of social hierarchies that humans form which is completely different.
But we don't need men as protectors; and we don't need to be cast as helpless damsels in need of protection.
Thats not what protection instinct means. You creating a narrow meaning of 'protection' which is slanted towards oppression and victim. Whereas the idea of 'protection' has a much wider meaning.

The fact that you keep slanting all meaning and representataion of these words and meanings towards power relations shows your biased to see things that way and blind to the wider meaning. You more or less stereotyping males as oppressors for even expressing their natural inclination to want to be nobel protectors or anything inbetween.

When a male identified as a nobel protector, a responsible man and citizen to his family and community he will behave as such. When he is cast as an evil oppressor and toxic he will behave as such whether thats abusively or violently or cowardly and self destructive.
Of course I do. I'm a woman. Every woman has a personal interest in the systemic and cultural disempowerment of women. That doesn't mean we can't see things objectively; it may well mean we can see things that men, who are not similarly systemically and culturally disempowered, are blind to.
I agree women experience the world differently in some ways to males. They are more emotional and socially sensitive and can feel threatened more in a world where some males are abusive and violent. They feel more volnurable partly due to the fact that they are the weaker sex strength wise but also because they bear children and this is a time of greatest threat for survival. That is partly why the male instinct as protector of his mate and offspring from predators stems from at the most basic level..

But I was talking about personal experience which can be different for people. How personal experience of a particular event or upbringing can bias peoples thinking and make them more sensitive and hyper about that particular situation.
Gaslighting ill becomes you.
How is that gaslighting.
I don't agree that it's "natural" at all. It's cultural. And if men frame themselves as protectors of women, it does feed into oppression.
Like all behaviour its partly natural and partly cultural. But often culture is based on the natural ways humans think and behave.

Mother Nature designed man with an instinctive drive to protect females and children. We see this protectiveness in nearly all animal species. The mother protects her babies while the male protects both the mother and their offspring, even to his death if necessary. Subconsciously, men value women higher than themselves.

Men Are Protectors: What That Looks Like For Today's Man
As a man, it is in our nature, and is our duty, to protect.

"Men are supposedly protectors, providers, and leaders—a belief that upholds patriarchal systems and social inequalities, and underpins the institutional and domestic violence that women face."
Yes this sounds like the bad old days when this use to happen in western nations towards women. Except it seems males are being abused as well in the Congo. But this is an example of how males distort their natural inclination to be a nobel protector. Healthy mascullinity and traits like courage, responsibility and identifying as a nobel protector of others are healthy qualities for males and should be encouraged.

Let me ask you, do you think traits like courage, competitiveness, responsibility, integrity, loyalty are good qualities in a male or anyone for that matter?.

"When I used to say I would protect my female friends it perpetuated the same cycle of objectification and dehumanization that violence against women does."
This quote stood out for me
In my family we have a motto, fortis et hospitalis. This motto is a latin phrase that means “brave and hospitable”. Notice, nowhere in this phrase does it say anything like “towards women” or “with violence”

The article is destinguishing being being a nobel man who is couragous and will do good by all including protecting them if need be and a male who makes everything about protecting women so they can use that as a way of control ie

The entire well being of a person or persons cannot be put into the hands of a single mortal man.
So guys,
stop taking full responsibility for being protectors,

Its distorting the natural inclination to be a nobel protector generally and not using that inclination to the extreme. This is similar to other aspects of abuse such as control, or mascullinity which have a natural basis but get distorted, twisted into dysfunctional and destructive versions.

"Similarly, campaigns that engage men as protectors of women’s rights, such as HeForShe, can reinforce the concept of powerful men “saving” helpless women."

"Masculinities may take on a greater protectionist angle that leads to controlling behavior."

"Specifically, implementers should avoid engaging men as “protectors” of women and girls."
I will come back to this one as its pretty long but looks interesting.
Why is that a male quality? As if women do not lay down their lives?
Yes women are protectors as well. But it seems males identify more with this trait. It seems to be an important part of their identity when harnassed in the right way. We see this reflected in Indigenous cultures such as in Kin hierarchies where males are expected to fullfill certain responsibilities to the community.
There's nothing gendered about virtue.
No but there are some basic traits that are more prosocial than others. For example women can be more social and nurturing in their interactions. That doesn't mean males can't be the same. But it comes more natural for females generally. That could be seen as a virtue. In fact in Matriarchal communities mothers are revered and honoured for this.
We set up the dynamics of the system, though.
Yes we set them up but we are choosing the natural qualities and giving them priority because we value them. We did not create those natural traits and qualities. Like valuing strength to build a home, a city because it is productive and efficent. We spotting this valuable traits throughout history and cultures that worked together and utilized this trait got the job done and improved their standard of living.

So when we look for people to build in society we look for the most competent who have the manpower to get the job done. That doesn't mean that women can also join in. But if we went purely by a social constructivist ideology and demanded a 50/50 equality of gender for building our homes and cities it would take twice as long and cost twice as much. Its not about gender or sex but about how valuable it is to society in organising itself and being functional and efficent.
We have two options; either we "meddle," or we accept the current abuse rate and do nothing about it.
I am not sure what you mean by meddling. Do you mean interegate people who may hold the wrong beliefs as percieved by the State. How would they tell say with the upstream beliefs that may or may not underpin abuse. What is the criteria for this.

Before you say its "already been done" I am not talking about current obvious beliefs like a belief in violent and abusive control which results in black eyes or trauma. I am talking about the upstream beliefs like the ones I have mentioned. Like the belief in Trad Marriage.

Remembering that Trad Marriage can have the same superficial markers as abusive Trad Marriages. So what do we do send in the thought police to investigate exactly whether the Trad Marriage setup is potentially abusive. Check their thinking, ensure theres no secret coercision going on.
We have agreed that trad marriage is irrelevant. Abuse can happen in any marriage, so we tell in the same ways we tell for any marriage, and that is mostly by empowering every woman to understand abuse, and giving her every opportunity to disclose safely.
So what about empowering women to be more independent so that they don't have to rely on their husbands or males. Isn't that the ultimate aim. You can make them aware that they should not have to put up with abuse but how does that change the situation.

In my experience if there is abuse going on then its a safety issue and Hotlines like DV Connect will work with them to get them out of the situation ASAP. I have worked with a number of women in getting them out and often into emergency accommodation. If not to finds and some sleep in their cars.
I was demonstrating the problem of ideologies of hierarchy, power and control. Trying to make that about cognitive and emotional distress is to spectacularly miss the point.
Your missing the point. You can demonstrate a hiearchy that in controling in an abusive way without the dispaities and you can demonstrate the disparities without the determinants that qualify it as abusive control which are the negative emotions of fear and guilt and the stress and distress as a result.
Again, I was demonstrating the problem of ideologies of hierarchy, power and control. That evidence was pertinent.
And the evidence I used, the same logic I used for the determinants of abuse whether that be within hierarchies or any relationship, that evidence was also pertinent. I am not disputing your evidence. I am merely saying that you need to be consistent with the evidence
A chillingly completely incorrect statement.
So its natural to want to bond, to love, be agressive, to eat, worry, value competence and talent, form hierarchies, control peoples behaviour to have order, to value life. Are these "chillingly completely incorrect statement".
Behaviour (that we see as) natural may well be abusive. That is, the question of whether or not behaviour is "natural" is simply irrelevant to whether it is abusive.
Thats a contradiction in logic. How can we say "the question of whether or not behaviour is "natural" is simply irrelevant to whether it is abusive"
when you also said "Behaviour (that we see as) natural may well be abusive".

That implies that there is natural behaviour that may or may not be abusive. So I would have thought it was very relevant to determine whether that natural behaviour is absuive or not. Rather than just dismiss that natural behaviour as irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,516,289.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thats not what protection instinct means. You creating a narrow meaning of 'protection' which is slanted towards oppression and victim.
Well, the main reason I ever see anyone raise the idea of men as "protectors," it's always coupled with the idea of different gender roles and women staying home, and all of that sort of thing. So that's exactly what I see reflected in how this idea is actually applied.
You more or less stereotyping males as oppressors for even expressing their natural inclination to want to be nobel protectors or anything inbetween.
I don't believe they have such a "natural inclination." Not in a way that only pertains to men, and not to women as well.
I agree women experience the world differently in some ways to males.
And we are actually treated differently in many situations.
How is that gaslighting.
Denying the reality of someone's experience is basically textbook gaslighting.
Yes this sounds like the bad old days when this use to happen in western nations towards women.
It still happens! And the point here is, it is fed by ideas like men being "protectors" and women being "protected."
Let me ask you, do you think traits like courage, competitiveness, responsibility, integrity, loyalty are good qualities in a male or anyone for that matter?.
Virtue is not gendered. Courage, responsibility, integrity are all good qualities for anyone (not specifically qualities men should strive for and women not). Competitiveness and loyalty I think are more mixed, and probably need to be carefully nuanced.

But what I'm critiquing is the binary; that men being "protectors," casts women as "protected," and therefore disempowers women in all sorts of ways.
Yes women are protectors as well. But it seems males identify more with this trait.
I'm not so sure of that. Ask women about their tendency to be "mumma bears" when their children are threatened. I think our culture just talks about it differently for men and women.
Yes we set them up but we are choosing the natural qualities and giving them priority because we value them.
No, again you miss my point. When I say we set up "the dynamics of the system" I mean not just who is in what position, but what authority, what responsibility, what limitations, what expectations, and so on, go with being in that position.
But if we went purely by a social constructivist ideology and demanded a 50/50 equality of gender for building our homes and cities it would take twice as long and cost twice as much.
Let me just put this here: Women in Construction: What It's Like Being a Woman in Construction | Ryan Companies

"Many construction jobs are less physically demanding than many traditional jobs held by women. Stereotypical careers for woman like nursing or waitressing can be just as physically demanding as some construction jobs."
I am not sure what you mean by meddling.
I asked what you would suggest we do, to limit dynamics of control in the household, so that the harm of abusive control can be avoided. And you said we shouldn't "meddle."

I'm just pointing out that I don't think doing nothing is an option. Not when, what is it we're up to now, one woman in Australia being killed by a partner or former partner every four days?

So what would you suggest we do, to actually make some positive change to that? Rather than getting distracted by every other issue (or non-issue) under the sun.
So what about empowering women to be more independent so that they don't have to rely on their husbands or males. Isn't that the ultimate aim. You can make them aware that they should not have to put up with abuse but how does that change the situation.
Look, if you ask me, any adult being entirely financially dependent on another is unwise. Not just because of abuse, but because your partner could die, could become sick or disabled, could become unemployed for a long stretch... there are no guarantees in life. I've always said to women that you don't have to be employed every day of your life, but make sure you're employable, so that you can support yourself and/or your household, if need be.

However... that's my personal opinion. It doesn't mean that a woman who freely chooses not to take up my wise advice is being abused.
In my experience if there is abuse going on then its a safety issue and Hotlines like DV Connect will work with them to get them out of the situation ASAP.
My experience is much more mixed. I've known plenty of people to be in significantly violent and abusive situations for a long time, even after trying to access help.
You can demonstrate a hiearchy that in controling in an abusive way without the dispaities and you can demonstrate the disparities without the determinants that qualify it as abusive control which are the negative emotions of fear and guilt and the stress and distress as a result.
How is there any hierarchy if there is no disparity? The disparity is a measure of the degree of hierarchy.
So its natural to want to bond, to love, be agressive, to eat, worry, value competence and talent, form hierarchies, control peoples behaviour to have order, to value life. Are these "chillingly completely incorrect statement".
There's a whole lot of complicated stuff there. I'm not going to get derailed into picking through them all to debate what is and is not "natural."
Thats a contradiction in logic. How can we say "the question of whether or not behaviour is "natural" is simply irrelevant to whether it is abusive"
when you also said "Behaviour (that we see as) natural may well be abusive".
Because "abusive" and "natural" are completely unrelated terms. Saying something is "natural" tells you nothing about whether or not it is abusive, and saying that it is abusive tells you nothing about whether it is "natural."
That implies that there is natural behaviour that may or may not be abusive. So I would have thought it was very relevant to determine whether that natural behaviour is absuive or not. Rather than just dismiss that natural behaviour as irrelevant.
Basically, I'm saying I don't care if it's "natural" or not. If it's abusive, it needs to be dealt with and changed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟249,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, the main reason I ever see anyone raise the idea of men as "protectors," it's always coupled with the idea of different gender roles and women staying home, and all of that sort of thing. So that's exactly what I see reflected in how this idea is actually applied.
Then you must live in a very narrow world because the majority of males have this protective inclination and they don't push it on anyone. You just see it in the nobel ways they behave in living out that.

And thats really the point. That some take these natural aspects and abuse them just like they physically abuse they abuse and distort what is natural to many males. Like mascullinity, its a natural inclination for males but can become distorted or what fiminist call toxic. But mascullinity itself is not toxic.
I don't believe they have such a "natural inclination." Not in a way that only pertains to men, and not to women as well.
And thats your ideological assumption and belief but not the reality of males. Its funny as the Woke idea is to affirm the expressed identity and that denying this is abuse. Yet when males express their natural identity its denied.

So you are saying men and women are the same. That the mascullined brain has no influence on thinking and behaviour. The simple fact that a male is bigger, stronger and more powerful points to a difference in mindset due to physical ability. If your equipped to be strong then surely it must also be embodied. Otherwise your denying your own physical reality.
And we are actually treated differently in many situations.
Thats not always a bad thing you know. But as far as say which competency and merit don't you think that the job or position should go to whoever is more capable and based on merit rather than gender or race. So if a particular group ends up dominating a sector due to that capability or merit is that being abusive and denying another group who are not as capable or have merit.
Denying the reality of someone's experience is basically textbook gaslighting.
But I am not denying your experiences. I said that your experience is real for you and I believe you when you say that is your experience for you is real without knowing the circumstances. Thats a fair position to take when people share experiences. We take them at face value that they are sincerely sharing their personal experiences.

But I am talking about beyond that. If we just went by experiences as far as what is real or not in the world, not within the individual then we would be in trouble always being fooled and having no coherent idea of what is real and what is not. So its when people want to make their personal experiences real for others that it becomes a problem.
It still happens! And the point here is, it is fed by ideas like men being "protectors" and women being "protected."
Its interesting how two people can see the same words and have completely different ideas assumptions about what that represents. While you see 'Protection' the mere mention of it as abusive for many others it can also be a nobel trait in males that will make them non abusers. I think it all depends on where your coming from.

I think humans have a protective instinct and its only natural that they want to protect others especially those closest to them. The idea that we have to give up such natural and nobel ideas because its PC seems self defeating.

By the way did you know that women naturally look for a male who is above them as far as resources, money, and capability is concerned. They naturally want someone who can protect them and make their situation stronger. They see weak and incompetent males as non suitable. Well thats the growing trend anyway.

Research has shown females demonstrate far more stringent preferences than males for mates with good earning potential or higher education [11], particularly during the years of peak fertility [13, 14].
Sex differences in sexual attraction for aesthetics, resources and personality across age

Virtue is not gendered. Courage, responsibility, integrity are all good qualities for anyone (not specifically qualities men should strive for and women not). Competitiveness and loyalty I think are more mixed, and probably need to be carefully nuanced.
OK yes both males and females should develop these qualities. So if males had a propensity to persue these qualities more often would that be a problem. Like how we see that the vast majority of rescue workers and police are males. It seems that this is one way they display their courageous and nobel side. That doesn't mean women can also do the same. But it seems that males have a natural affinity positions of protection and require courgae.
But what I'm critiquing is the binary; that men being "protectors," casts women as "protected," and therefore disempowers women in all sorts of ways.
Yes the binary or the extreme positions that distort the nobel protection into being used as a weapon to abuse. Its like the concept of control being used as a weapon to abuse unnecessarily. But if anything I have been continually argueing for the balanced view. You seem to be making things into a binary by always taking these neutral words to one extreme, always the abusive extreme while denying the balanced view.
I'm not so sure of that. Ask women about their tendency to be "mumma bears" when their children are threatened. I think our culture just talks about it differently for men and women.
Well as mentioned above we see this in the large disproportion of males to females in the type of protective roles in society. Well at least the ones that will take strength, size and power like policing, rescue work and war. But I am not saying women have this protective instinct. But rather that its expressed differently.

But its interesting that you quickly stand up for womens protective instincts to be expressed and then protest when males do the same in their own way.
No, again you miss my point. When I say we set up "the dynamics of the system" I mean not just who is in what position, but what authority, what responsibility, what limitations, what expectations, and so on, go with being in that position.
Ok yes thats true. I would say that the reasons or values we use to place people in those positions is tied to how we setup the systems. Though there is flexibility or should be. The systems themselves are based on values similar to that of the people within them. Integrity of individuals and systems.

If you put competent people with honesty and integrity into certain positions of influence then I would have thought it goes hand in hand that we would want the system they work in to also be competent and honest.

Nevertheless we have checks and balances to ensure people are doing the right thing. If they don't then we have the general public. Social media has made it easier for individuals and groups to have their say and even bring down individuals and organisations who do the wrong thing. To a degree that is.

I will read your article below and come back. Regards Steve.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,516,289.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And thats your ideological assumption and belief but not the reality of males.
When I did some research, everything I found said that both men and women have protective instincts. Despite the stereotypes, it isn't a specifically masculine thing.
So you are saying men and women are the same.
In everything, no. Clearly there are physical differences. But beyond that I find most claims for innate gender differences completely unconvincing.
Thats not always a bad thing you know.
:rolleyes: I've faced many disadvantages due to being a woman, and very few advantages.
So if a particular group ends up dominating a sector due to that capability or merit is that being abusive and denying another group who are not as capable or have merit.
Totally irrelevant to the point I was making.
But I am not denying your experiences. I said that your experience is real for you
"But not necessarily in reality." Saying, I'm sure it seems real to you, but it's not necessarily really real, is basically gaslighting. And incredibly condescending.
While you see 'Protection' the mere mention of it as abusive for many others it can also be a nobel trait in males that will make them non abusers. I think it all depends on where your coming from.
I gave you lots of evidence of the problems with this trope. It comes back to the gender hierarchy and rigid roles...
By the way did you know that women naturally look for a male who is above them as far as resources, money, and capability is concerned.
Not "naturally." Many women look for a man who can provide for them, in a world where it is very difficult for women to be secure on their own. As women become more secure, the need for this diminishes.
So if males had a propensity to persue these qualities more often would that be a problem.
The claim would be a nonsense. There is no gender divide in the propensity to develop character and virtue.
Yes the binary or the extreme positions that distort the nobel protection into being used as a weapon to abuse.
No, even before it gets to abuse, it still introduces deeply problematic dynamics.
But its interesting that you quickly stand up for womens protective instincts to be expressed and then protest when males do the same in their own way.
What I am protesting is not having a protective instinct; it is claiming that that instinct is inherently gendered, and that the object of that instinct is (at least in part) the other gender. (And the idea of "war" as a protective activity I find grotesque; it's the absolute opposite).

Upvote 0